Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Mighty Horse posted:

Just got ship notification from one of my Vendors for the Nexus. Will be in tommorow. :dance:

Still no word from the official channels yet.

So what does that mean? The store is getting it or you are getting it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

flyboi posted:

So what does that mean? The store is getting it or you are getting it?

He owns/works for a 3rd party retailer I think. Hopefully we will see these on the shelves on the 15th.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Bobx66 posted:

He owns/works for a 3rd party retailer I think. Hopefully we will see these on the shelves on the 15th.

This.

Still looks like the 15th unless something else comes up.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Like a multi touch bug.

(if it's actually supposed to come out on the 15 I doubt this would hold it up but I have little faith)

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'll probably be getting a 4S this week, switching from a Bionic I got because the phone is too big for my hands and the smaller 4G phones aren't all that much smaller unless I want a Pantech Breakout (what?), and I really don't need 4G speeds.. I got the free 4gb data for getting a 4G phone but I'm wondering if Verizon will take that away for getting a non-4G phone? Has anyone used the mobile hotspot trick with the iPhone?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Lblitzer posted:

I got the free 4gb data for getting a 4G phone but I'm wondering if Verizon will take that away for getting a non-4G phone?

Yes, and you won't get it back if you go back to a 4G phone.

Endor
Aug 15, 2001

Lblitzer posted:

I'll probably be getting a 4S this week, switching from a Bionic [..] I got the free 4gb data for getting a 4G phone but I'm wondering if Verizon will take that away for getting a non-4G phone? Has anyone used the mobile hotspot trick with the iPhone?

First, from what I understand the Android data plans are separate from the iPhone data plans, so you'll have to switch to a completely different data plan.
Guess I'm wrong on this one!

Second, I'm not sure what you mean by "free 4GB data". The now-defunct unlimited data plan that Verizon used to offer? Or the current "double data" special plan? Or something different?

Endor fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 12, 2011

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Endor posted:

First, from what I understand the Android data plans are separate from the iPhone data plans, so you'll have to switch to a completely different data plan.

Second, I'm not sure what you mean by "free 4GB data". The now-defunct unlimited data plan that Verizon used to offer? Or the current "double data" special plan? Or something different?

I mean the current double data promotion. That's too bad but I suppose I use wifi quite a bit now and have nothing to stream.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Endor posted:

Is that new? When I got my iPhone I kept the data plan I had with my Android (the unlimited one).

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
This is more Verizon-specific than iPhone-specific, so I'll try this thread: is there any reason to choose Verizon's insurance ($10/month, $200 deductible to replace phone if broken) over Applecare+ ($99/2 years, $50 deductible, two replacements only)? It seems like a no-brainer but I want to be sure. It doesn't feel like the Verizon insurance has any benefit to it over Apple's.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's mostly a no-brainer. Ignoring cost, Applecare+ lets you walk into an Apple store and walk out with a new phone, and it covers warranty issues (non-damage stuff) for two years. Verizon's insurance will generally require you to send it off and wait on them making sure it's a covered problem or whatever. It looks like Verizon covers lost/stolen phones, though, if you have a tendency to lose things, so that might be worth taking into account.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

jackpot posted:

is there any reason to choose Verizon's insurance ($10/month, $200 deductible to replace phone if broken) over Applecare+ ($99/2 years, $50 deductible, two replacements only)?
Now that Verizon has (so I hear) stopped giving out replacements in-store, no benefit I can think of. e: oh, didn't realize the lack of theft coverage.

Endor posted:

First, from what I understand the Android data plans are separate from the iPhone data plans
Nope. Mine just stayed at "Email And Web Unlimited".

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

To choose VZW insurance over Applecare is down right silly.

I've never purchased insurance on my phones but I would get Applecare if they covered my Thunderbolt. :v:

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Is that new? When I got my iPhone I kept the data plan I had with my Android (the unlimited one).

No, pretty sure they're the same, but he got his tiered plan doubled for picking up a 4G phone. The 4GB cap with the Bionic will go down to 2GB with iPhone. Other than that, I don't think anything is different.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

jackpot posted:

This is more Verizon-specific than iPhone-specific, so I'll try this thread: is there any reason to choose Verizon's insurance ($10/month, $200 deductible to replace phone if broken) over Applecare+ ($99/2 years, $50 deductible, two replacements only)? It seems like a no-brainer but I want to be sure. It doesn't feel like the Verizon insurance has any benefit to it over Apple's.

If your iPhone breaks and you have no warranty/insurance coverage at all, you can take it to an Apple Store and pay $200 (or $150 for an iPhone 4) to get it replaced. In other words, it seems like the Verizon plan is actually worse than having nothing, since you pay the same per-incident price but you also have a monthly fee on top of it.

I'm also not terribly down on AppleCare+. I've had to take Apple phones for warranty repair but not in the second year, usually that stuff shakes loose during the regular warranty period.

If you're really clumsy and sure you're going to destroy the phone, or even do it twice, it might be for you. You're taking a $100 bet you're going to break your phone, and the payoff is $50 or $200 depending on whether you break your phone once or twice. Me, I'd rather have $100 now than a 5-10% chance of saving $50 later.

But if you're going to take some insurance, and it just comes down to AppleCare+ or Verizon's, definitely take the AppleCare.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Since I would be buying a GN off-contract if at all, what's the best way to make sure the manufacturer warranty still applies, since it apparently doesn't apply to 2nd-hand sales?

I was thinking I'd just pick one up from craigslist once they hit my price range, but I'd really want the warranty as well.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

You'd probably still have a one-year with Samsung if you bought it secondhand, just not Verizon.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
If the phone is new, you will get a 1 year warranty regardless. 2nd hand phones don't get this, BUT they don't always check the device's history, so you might be even able to get the warranty 2nd hand ones.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
It's weird, I was told point Blank by a Motorola rep that the warranty followed the phone. They wouldn't fix it because it had taken a dunk (none of the moisture indicators tripped) but I assume they would have fixed it otherwise. Maybe.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
I got a Droid Razr a little bit before thanksgiving and in the last few nights have noticed that the screen has a dead pixel and some odd dark splotches (noticed those before but from what I read they're a known flaw). I was wondering if Verizon is the type to replace over this kind of thing or if it's even worth bothering? I thought that dead pixels these days were kind of rare and wasn't sure if this might be some sign of future trouble.

On another note, not long after I bought the Razr I heard about the Droid 4, I know that it's still not out but does Verizon ever offer to exchange the model of a phone within such a close time frame to the original purchase? My old one was the Droid 1 so not having a physical keyboard has been one of the few gripes I've had.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

TheOrange posted:

I got a Droid Razr a little bit before thanksgiving and in the last few nights have noticed that the screen has a dead pixel and some odd dark splotches (noticed those before but from what I read they're a known flaw). I was wondering if Verizon is the type to replace over this kind of thing or if it's even worth bothering? I thought that dead pixels these days were kind of rare and wasn't sure if this might be some sign of future trouble.

On another note, not long after I bought the Razr I heard about the Droid 4, I know that it's still not out but does Verizon ever offer to exchange the model of a phone within such a close time frame to the original purchase? My old one was the Droid 1 so not having a physical keyboard has been one of the few gripes I've had.

You have 14 days, past that you're stuck with it.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Pretty sure you can exchange any phone you buy now until early January I think. Some holiday exchange policy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

You have 14 days, past that you're stuck with it.

If he bought it after November 15th, he has until January 9th to return it.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Bionic update downloading now, here's hoping for faster camera and no more signal crashes. :v:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

bull3964 posted:

If he bought it after November 15th, he has until January 9th to return it.

Oh yeah... forgot about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMNJuSl91qY&t=8s

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 13, 2011

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

I just got a "$30 off any smartphone" coupon in the mail from VZW, so be on the lookout if you are closing in on your contract end. I have a single line with the 450 min plan and a 20% employer discount. I became eligible for an upgrade about a month ago, for reference.

One of the blogs said that some people were getting $100 off coupons, but I guess they have multiple lines/family plans.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Dijkstra posted:

I just got a "$30 off any smartphone" coupon in the mail from VZW, so be on the lookout if you are closing in on your contract end. I have a single line with the 450 min plan and a 20% employer discount. I became eligible for an upgrade about a month ago, for reference.

One of the blogs said that some people were getting $100 off coupons, but I guess they have multiple lines/family plans.

My mom got one of those in the mail not too long ago. She's been eligible for an upgrade for months and I have the feeling that they're sending her that instead of letting her use her last New Every 2.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
ICS booting on a RAZR. Still needs tons of work of course, but bull may have won round 1 (pre-alpha ICS beats not-yet-released ICS). Come on Thursday!

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
On Sprint right now, ready to jump to VZN for the GNexus. My wife's got a 20ish percent discount through her work that we're ready to use...does anyone know if we can have that applied on a new contract at a Costco or if you have to do new accounts with employer discounts at the standalone VZN stores? I know we can do it online but I'd rather knock it out in person. I'm okay with the discount not being applied right away too, I know how we have to fax in proof or something goofy like that. Just want to know if I can do this at a Costco or not.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

redstormpopcorn posted:

Bionic update downloading now, here's hoping for faster camera and no more signal crashes. :v:

Picked up update as well. Time to see if I can go an entire day without losing my data connection.

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

redstormpopcorn posted:

I hope you weren't rooted, because you won't be after this update!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
The Bionic update makes the camera actually usable. So far so good here.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

wattershed posted:

On Sprint right now, ready to jump to VZN for the GNexus. My wife's got a 20ish percent discount through her work that we're ready to use...does anyone know if we can have that applied on a new contract at a Costco or if you have to do new accounts with employer discounts at the standalone VZN stores? I know we can do it online but I'd rather knock it out in person. I'm okay with the discount not being applied right away too, I know how we have to fax in proof or something goofy like that. Just want to know if I can do this at a Costco or not.

Does she have a work email address? If so you don't have to fax any proof in, you can just go here after the account is active. I did this the day I established an account back in April, after I got home from the phone shop. The discount showed up on the first bill.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/employee-discounts-email-authentication.shtml

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

wandler20 posted:

The Bionic update makes the camera actually usable. So far so good here.

Did you have a hard time getting the update? Update server seems to always be down for me

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

kitten smoothie posted:

Does she have a work email address? If so you don't have to fax any proof in, you can just go here after the account is active. I did this the day I established an account back in April, after I got home from the phone shop. The discount showed up on the first bill.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/employee-discounts-email-authentication.shtml

Oh, I thought that page was only for generating the discount email link if we wanted to buy via the website. That's good to know and handy. Thanks!

(The wife and I still have a Samsung Moment so all you people griping about having to wait for the Google Nexus to come out, I imagine you have phones with a working camera flash, and a data connection that doesn't require a reboot to reestablish if you use the wifi at any point. It's all relative, yes, but we've been making lovely lemonade out of these lemons for 25 months now.)

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I just switched from AT&T to Verizon and have already had Verizon FiOS for my Internet, TV and home phone. I there any way to link the two accounts together?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Kilonum posted:

I just switched from AT&T to Verizon and have already had Verizon FiOS for my Internet, TV and home phone. I there any way to link the two accounts together?

Yes, there is. It's called one-bill.

http://www22.verizon.com/pages/onebill/

It allowed me to get a triple play combo by subbing my wireless account in for home phone service (since I do not have a home phone.)

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Eltoasto posted:

Did you have a hard time getting the update? Update server seems to always be down for me

Not at all. I checked for the update, it was there so I downloaded and had it installed in 15 minutes.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Number porting question. I think I'd like to try Google Voice, but I want to have the option of getting out of it if I don't like it. I'm currently on AT&T and planning to switch to Verizon when the Galaxy Nexus comes out. Is the following sequence of events possible?

• Port my AT&T number to GV (this ends my AT&T service)
  • Open a new line on Verizon with a new number, point GV at that number
  • Decide I don't like GV, port my GV number to Verizon and ditch the Verizon-provided number

Would Verizon give me poo poo about taking a new number and then changing my mind and porting? Would that trigger an ETF / potential loss of double data?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Thoom posted:

Number porting question. I think I'd like to try Google Voice, but I want to have the option of getting out of it if I don't like it. I'm currently on AT&T and planning to switch to Verizon when the Galaxy Nexus comes out. Is the following sequence of events possible?

• Port my AT&T number to GV (this ends my AT&T service)
  • Open a new line on Verizon with a new number, point GV at that number
  • Decide I don't like GV, port my GV number to Verizon and ditch the Verizon-provided number

Would Verizon give me poo poo about taking a new number and then changing my mind and porting? Would that trigger an ETF / potential loss of double data?

I tried Verizon for a week before deciding to port my AT&T number over. I took a brand new number, then a week later I came back to the store and asked them to port my AT&T number on top of it. It was quick and easy and they gave me no trouble about it.

I asked the salesman about it to be sure before I bought the phone; he said it was no problem at all, and acted like it was something they do all the time.

• Locked thread