Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
It's Motor Trend, I'm not sure I'd put too much stock in those images.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Seems like the bigger news would be IRS, is that old news I've somehow missed?

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Q_res posted:

I thought those were just photos of the 2010/2011 Mustang that Motor Trend photoshopped a few months back?

In fact, here is one of the original shots:

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

OrganizedEntropy posted:

I thought those were just photos of the 2010/2011 Mustang that Motor Trend photoshopped a few months back?

The fact they even said that it hadn't debuted yet should have been a clue.

On another note, does anyone have suggestions on head units for an '03 with the Mach 460 system? Specifically one that has Bluetooth capability so I can wirelessly play music from my iPhone.

ApathyGifted fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 23, 2011

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
I used Kenwood KDC-BT838U, but just to let you know using bluetooth to talk thru your audio system in a mustang is pointless, no can hear me talking. They only hear engine and wind noises.

fizzix
Nov 13, 2011

Q_res posted:

Most of the leaked photos / spy shots are usually bull, it is just a way to make their speculations seem legit. In this case, I am an engineer on Mustang and I haven't even seen what the new version is going to look like.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

fizzix posted:

Most of the leaked photos / spy shots are usually bull, it is just a way to make their speculations seem legit. In this case, I am an engineer on Mustang and I haven't even seen what the new version is going to look like.

I hope this is a throwaway account -- tell us if it's gonna have IRS.

fizzix
Nov 13, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

I hope this is a throwaway account -- tell us if it's gonna have IRS.

Sorry, I can't discuss any details.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

fizzix posted:

You're fired.

-Alan

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

fizzix posted:

What department? I've got a bunch of friends over in building 9.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Went to the LA Auto show today, sat in a Boss 302, I am in love. definitely going to seriously consider a Mustang for my next car. I don't like the Laguna Seca models, not having a back seat is a deal breaker for me. I am pretty sure they will be theft magnets, but how about the standard 302?

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Ever since the (500hp version) Shelby GT 500 came out I was not interested in really getting one. I always figured I could get a super charger and be relatively close to ~400hp. My '01 would lighter and about ~100hp shy of the Shelby.

Now the 650hp version is coming out, and I want one really really bad. I know that my car would never see that kind of power unless I invested a lot of money into it. which then got me thinking, what kind of things would I need to buy and do it relatively cheaply AND remain 50 state street legal? Im assuming Ford is going to release this car to people in California. To be honest with my self, I really have no idea what kind of costs and labor prices would be associated with a project like this.

I know I would need to install forged internals, upgrade the cams, upgrade the fuel, install some sort of forced induction, dyno tune, and probably need a beefed up transmission. Is 20 grand a realistic number for parts and labor? or is 650 hp 2v engine in an 95-04 Mustang really a super expensive pipe dream?

Also they are quoting the 13 Shelby as being able to do 200mph stock. what would be necessary to do this in a street driven 95 to 04, 4.6 engine? is it even possible?
I know dragsters can do this but I mean in a daily driver?

I have my car and my title. Paying 60 or 70 grand for 5 or 6 years for a 650hp Shelby would not be cool. Paying 15 or 20 grand for 2 or 3 years for a 650hp regular Stang with upgrades would be more doable I would imagine.

Thoughts?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kalvick posted:

Is 20 grand a realistic number for parts and labor? or is 650 hp 2v engine in an 95-04 Mustang really a super expensive pipe dream?

Here's a blueprint for you to follow if you choose to stick with your current car.
If you pay someone to do everything for you, then yes, it's going to take $20k; if you do all the work it will be around $10k.

It should be noted that Ryan (the turbo 2v that article links to) went to a bigger A/R on his turbo and picked up over 100hp from the dyno in that article.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

kalvick posted:

Thoughts?

IMHO enjoy what you have now. Building it up to be 600+ horsepower is going to cost a lot of money which you'll never get back if you try to sell. Wait a year or so and buy a GT500 that's slightly used.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

IMHO enjoy what you have now. Building it up to be 600+ horsepower is going to cost a lot of money which you'll never get back if you try to sell. Wait a year or so and buy a GT500 that's slightly used.

That's not completely true, a well done drag car is going to command a decent amount of cash with the right buyer. I've seen 20k 5.0's that were caged and worked over and I had a friend of mine's dad buy a 500+ horsepower Camaro that was essentially a turnkey drag racer. There are people who want to skip all the bullshit.

I'm not saying it's a good investment just that it's slightly better than lighting the money of fire and dancing in the ashes...slightly better.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_dolwht4RU&t=140s

First of all, this guy's neighbors must love him. Second, is that the stock exhaust? Its a 2011 GTCS

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
People who drag race are not in it for the money, it is for the rush like spiking heroin right into the brain. Plus you can't be slower then the guy in a Chevy what are you even thinking.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Bumming Your Scene posted:

First of all, this guy's neighbors must love him. Second, is that the stock exhaust? Its a 2011 GTCS

Most definitely not the stock exhaust. From the looks of him, I'd guess Flowmaster.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Bumming Your Scene posted:

It says magnaflow competition series at the end of the novel he has for the video description.

Marux
Mar 15, 2008

College Slice
I've run into a bit of an issue that I figured I'd post here before having a dealer look into it; ive got a 2005 GT and my gas gauge has been acting kind of crazy, currently the needle is way past the full mark (points straight down at half a tank) although the computer still correctly estimates my miles to empty.

From the issues I've read about people seem to either need to fix the fuel sending unit (which usually throws off the est miles to empty when it malfunctions) or the stepper motor that moves the needle needs replacing, usually to the tune of a new cluster from the dealer, and I really have no idea how hard the cluster is to get to to do it myself.

Also use been noticing the speedo needle has become a bit notchy in the colder weather as if there is some resistance keeping it from moving freely. Not sure if it could be related.

Anyone else experience issues of this sort, or have any advice?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

I don't have any info for you, but try asking in this forum. I'm sure they'll be able to help.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I've been debating on trading in my 2011 Camaro SS for a Boss 302. Is there any reason to wait a year or two to see what Ford has planned? Are there going to be any changes on the 2013 Boss? I would just hate to buy a '12 and then in the spring they make some significant changes.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

2013's are coming out in Spring, and yeah they are gonna be better than the 2012, for short.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
From what I can find all the changes seem mostly cosmetic. They seem to be making all the Mustangs look like the Shelby. Any word on any suspension or engine changes?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

blk96gt posted:

From what I can find all the changes seem mostly cosmetic. They seem to be making all the Mustangs look like the Shelby. Any word on any suspension or engine changes?

Jalopnik reported definitely no suspension or engine changes. If you can get a discount on a 2012, that's probably the best short term deal.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I plan on doing at least 5-6 track days a year with the Boss if I decide to go with it. Has anyone heard of any mechanical issues with these cars after running them hard? Not too concerned with the engine, more the transmission/driveline.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

helloooooooooooooooooooooo 2013 Boss. 624 hp, quad exhaust, and Gotta Have It Green. :fap:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Devyl posted:

helloooooooooooooooooooooo 2013 Boss. 624 hp, quad exhaust, and Gotta Have It Green. :fap:

That's the 2013 Boss, not the Shelby?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The Midniter posted:

It's got an SC kit slapped onto the Boss motor, going by the valve covers. FRPP kit, I assume.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

The Midniter posted:

That's the new BOSS 302 color, and that looks like Ford's 2.9L Whipple supercharger kit on there, but I'm not seeing anything about this being a package they are offering from the factory.
I thought it was the new Cobra Jet, but I'm not seeing that color listed as an option.
It's either a BOSS 302 with the Ford supercharger dealer option added, or the BOSS 429 that has been rumored.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It has driving lights and a leather stripe down the seat, i'm pretty sure it's just a regular mustang GT with a bunch of parts from ford racing bolted onto it, likely to showcase the ford racing parts catalogue.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Sorry to get everyones' hopes up. It's a '13 GT with the 2.9 supercharger to debut the new color, but rumor has it that this might be a package offering from Ford for a limited few new 302s (supercharger & all).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Which motor is in there?

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
So I tried to go look at a Boss this past weekend. Tried to. The dealer gave me the runaround about the car- first saying that I could of course test drive it, then changing their minds and telling me I wouldn't be able to take it out for a spin. I can understand them not wanting to put miles on the car since it is a limited run car. What really chaps me, though, was the salesman's attitude - especially once I told him I was interested in ordering a '13, and not buying the '12 on their showroom floor. He wouldn't even unlock the car to let me have a look inside it. Very frustrating experience.

I went and test drove a Camaro SS instead.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
When I was looking at getting mine they were definitely protective of it, but not even unlocking the thing to let you take a seat in it? That's crazy, hahaha. The seats on their own can just about sell the car! They wanted to make sure I was seriously interested before driving it, but then again, they also had 5 other people that were lined up to take a look at it the day it got in to the dealership. Unfortunately for those that didn't get there when the dealer opened, I bought it after a test drive, with 13 miles on the clock. How'd you like the camaro? A buddy of mine test drove one the same day I was out car shopping, but then ended up buying a used 2009 GT500, from the chevy dealer, no less.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Remember to get the card of the guy who wouldn't unlock it so you can show up with a 2013 and tell him "gently caress you".

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Muffinpox posted:

Remember to get the card of the guy who wouldn't unlock it so you can show up with a 2013 and tell him "gently caress you".

Tape keyboard letters to your rear wheel and try to do a burnout at him.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

MrSaturn posted:

So I tried to go look at a Boss this past weekend. Tried to. The dealer gave me the runaround about the car- first saying that I could of course test drive it, then changing their minds and telling me I wouldn't be able to take it out for a spin. I can understand them not wanting to put miles on the car since it is a limited run car. What really chaps me, though, was the salesman's attitude - especially once I told him I was interested in ordering a '13, and not buying the '12 on their showroom floor. He wouldn't even unlock the car to let me have a look inside it. Very frustrating experience.

I find telling them, "If you were in my position, would you find your attitude acceptable?" seems to work pretty well.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

MrSaturn posted:

I understand why you'd want to drive a car you're about to buy but in all honesty the boss is just a higher trim level not a different car. There's really nothing about it that's going to be terribly different on a test drive except maybe a little stiffer ride than the GT. I knew who bought a new Z06 a few years back and had a hell of a time getting a test drive.

Seriously take a out a base GT and imagine it with more power and better seats. I mean put yourself in the dealer's shoes, they make a lot on these special editions between selling them for MSRP++ and the foot traffic they generate.

However there's no reason to lie to get you in the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Yeah you might as well just test drive a 302 f150, just imagine it is lower to the ground and handles better and is a little faster.

That dealer is an idiot. Did you drive up in a clunker wearing a tee shirt and cutoff shorts? Appearances are everything. Next time wear a monocle and top hat.