Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Let me add some clarification to what kitten said, and this matters:

you can port the number in *with* the new contract to verizon, even from google voice. But porting it in after the fact to replace your existing verizon number will almost guaranteed incur fees in some form or another.

I've tried to talk about this with verizon too, and it got really complicated. I don't even remember if I have the entire story accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Let me add some clarification to what kitten said, and this matters:

you can port the number in *with* the new contract to verizon, even from google voice. But porting it in after the fact to replace your existing verizon number will almost guaranteed incur fees in some form or another.

I've tried to talk about this with verizon too, and it got really complicated. I don't even remember if I have the entire story accurate.

I signed a 2 year contract when I got the phone and the bogus number I later replaced. Was it just because I was still within my 14 day grace period after signing the contract that this didn't matter? There were no fees and it went so smoothly that it didn't seem like he had to do any crazy stuff in the computer to make it happen.

My contract date didn't change, so they didn't break it and re-sign me or anything when I ported the number in.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

If the fee is like $10-30, I'm willing to pay it. I'll ask a rep for more details when I buy my Nexus. Thanks!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Anyone get a text today from Verizon about early upgrades? I had been planning to stop into Verizon this weekend and be all "hey, I'm interested in the Nexus and I know I'm close to an upgrade, can you tell me when my upgrade date is?" and see if I could finagle something there. But I got the "you're eligible for a new phone! ($20 fee may apply)" text today, so maybe I don't even have to do that.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

Thoom posted:

If the fee is like $10-30, I'm willing to pay it. I'll ask a rep for more details when I buy my Nexus. Thanks!

There are no fees, as in $0, for changing an existing Verizon Wireless number to a ported number.

The billing will look a bit weird if you do so mid-billing cycle, because a portion of the bill will be on the old number and a portion on the new, but otherwise, you will incur zero monies lost.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Mighty Horse posted:

Still looks like the 15th unless something else comes up.

Just joined the thread... seems like not a lot of people are as itching for the GN as I am. Probably not many people are still stuck on the og Droid, like me, for that matter.

Is there something else coming out soon for Verizon that should be better? Is there a deal breaker with it that's causing people to jump ship to the Rezound or Razr instead?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Well, it lacks expandable storage. And it's manufactured by Samsung.

Still, Nexus.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
I've never once even considered using the SD slot on my Incredible in two years. Time to upgrade!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

soru posted:

I've never once even considered using the SD slot on my Incredible in two years. Time to upgrade!

Totally agree. I know some need space for losless music files and such, but 16 gigs is far sufficient *for me* as I stream most stuff.

Guess if the SD slot is critical, the Nexus line isn't for you.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Fryhtaning posted:

Just joined the thread... seems like not a lot of people are as itching for the GN as I am. Probably not many people are still stuck on the og Droid, like me, for that matter.

Im in the exact same situation and I cant wait, so tired of this phone.

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

Smellrose
So without an SD card slot for the GN, how will you go about loading custom ROMs and backing them up? Can you partition space on the internal storage so you can have a backup image?

I tried reading up on the Xda forums but all the content is mainly for the GSM version, that and I didn't want to lose my sanity lurking through there.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
You don't need to partition the sdcard for nandroid, the images just go in a folder. So instead of /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup it'd be /home/usr/clockworkmod/backup or whatever. The only effective difference for end-users will be that their user space is nonremovable.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Rastor posted:

Well, it lacks expandable storage. And it's manufactured by Samsung.

Still, Nexus.

Who needs it with 32 gigs? Apple doesn't have expandable storage either.

Just hook up both phones via USB if you need to transfer data from one to another. Drag 'n drop, done. Just means you should probably back up your data to a computer before you do any kind of wipe, which is good advice even with an SD card anyway.

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?

KoB posted:

I'm also still using the original Droid and am itching for the Nexus. I'm planning on the 32GB model which should be plenty of available space without SD.

Can anyone speak on the changes to data rates since this is an upgrade from 3G to 4G (if any)? I'm currently on a family plan with unlimited min/data but would prefer to keep my monthly charges roughly the same.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Trane posted:

Can anyone speak on the changes to data rates since this is an upgrade from 3G to 4G (if any)?

No changes.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

KoB posted:

I agree. I think it's finally time to retire my G1. It doesn't help that this is also delaying my wife from getting her iPhone 4s, which should be a SLIGHT upgrade from the POS Motorola ROKR she's been dealing with for the last two years.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I'm on Droid X. I want the nexus for 4G and the ability to have more than one Google Talk account logged in.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I agree. I think it's finally time to retire my G1. It doesn't help that this is also delaying my wife from getting her iPhone 4s, which should be a SLIGHT upgrade from the POS Motorola ROKR she's been dealing with for the last two years.

Crazy. I had to give up my upgrade to let my goonwife upgrade her Storm2 to the iPhone 4s sooner.

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

Smellrose

vote_no posted:

You don't need to partition the sdcard for nandroid, the images just go in a folder. So instead of /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup it'd be /home/usr/clockworkmod/backup or whatever. The only effective difference for end-users will be that their user space is nonremovable.

Awesome.

I'm actually looking forward to just having internal storage. I don't have to worry about backing stuff up between two storage areas, plus having unlimited data to stream everything will be faster with the sweet nectar of LTE.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Fryhtaning posted:

Crazy. I had to give up my upgrade to let my goonwife upgrade her Storm2 to the iPhone 4s sooner.

Well I just got a call from the lady at the VZW store near my house (actually it's in a BJs). She said I could pick up my Nexus tomorrow. So I guess it's on.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Does anyone know the price points for the Nexus using an upgrade? I was in store earlier today and they said they didn't know them yet. I found that odd but just nodded politely.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ManMythLegend posted:

Does anyone know the price points for the Nexus using an upgrade? I was in store earlier today and they said they didn't know them yet. I found that odd but just nodded politely.

According to this it's $299 with contract.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm curious what full retail will be. It will probably be around $649 which is a bit too rich for my blood (not sure I want to bother with selling off the razr if it's that high.)

Closer to $500 and it would be very tempting.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Here's a question, re: this bit:

quote:

Customers that purchase a Galaxy Nexus by Samsung will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan beginning at $39.99 monthly access and a smartphone data package starting at $30 monthly access for 2 GB of data.

If I'm the second line on a family plan, does that create a problem with that whole "hey you gotta have the $40 a month plan" thing?

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I remember seeing that before and I got my family plan $10/line + $30/mo unlimited just fine. I doubt that's changed.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Word. I didn't think there'd be a problem, I'm just having a sperg attack about it now that the Gnex is actually coming out and I'm only a month away from my upgrade.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Dickeye posted:

Here's a question, re: this bit:
I'm pretty sure that's just their standard "hey, if you're still on the ancient America's Choice plan and get a subsidized phone, you need to change to a current plan" clause.

VonSwoopington
Jun 3, 2010
Has anyone been able to get an early upgrade under these conditions:

1. Not be primary account holder
2. Be a secondary line
3. Have an upgrade available soon (mine is February 2012)

I managed to get a 8 month early upgrade for the primary line but Verizon is being very picky about moving up a secondary line even if it is 2 months from now.

One of the reps got a manager to approve the early upgrade but he said it wouldn't apply to any 3g/4g/smartphone. I promptly told them to not do that.

Anyone have any luck or tips?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I've been reading at other forums that since the Nexus is considered an "iconic" device, they can't override/bump up your upgrade for it.

Edit: Looks like the time has come! :dance:

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/14/official-galaxy-nexus-on-verizon-launches-tomorrow-for-299/#more-55971

http://www.androidcentral.com/official-verizon-galaxy-nexus-availability-announcment

http://phandroid.com/2011/12/14/official-samsung-galaxy-nexus-available-from-verizon-dec-15-for-299/

I was originally going to wait for a week after launch till I picked it up but I'll be at my store at 9 tomorrow.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 15, 2011

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

JayKay posted:

I've been reading at other forums that since the Nexus is considered an "iconic" device, they can't override/bump up your upgrade for it.

I did, however, get a Verizon text yesterday telling me I was upgrade-eligible when I should still be a month and change away. So it may be worth looking into.

VonSwoopington
Jun 3, 2010

tzirean posted:

I did, however, get a Verizon text yesterday telling me I was upgrade-eligible when I should still be a month and change away. So it may be worth looking into.

Are you the primary account holder?

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

If I add a new line and put my old dumbphone on it, will that new line still be eligible for an upgrade? If so, can I transfer that upgrade to my current number and get a Nexus to replace my thunderbolt. It seems the 9.99 over the next two years plus the 299 is still cheaper than the cost of the nexus outright.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

lignicolos posted:

If I add a new line and put my old dumbphone on it, will that new line still be eligible for an upgrade? If so, can I transfer that upgrade to my current number and get a Nexus to replace my thunderbolt. It seems the 9.99 over the next two years plus the 299 is still cheaper than the cost of the nexus outright.

Yes, but that's awkward. Why not just get the new phone when you add the line?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

WeaselWeaz posted:

This is what I plan on doing, have them add a line, put my current Thunderbolt on it, then put the Nexus on my current line. Then I go home, go online, and replace the TB with a dumbphone.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

VonSwoopington posted:

Are you the primary account holder?

No.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

WeaselWeaz posted:

Wouldn't that require adding data to the new line? Also, I read that the Nexus uses a micro-SIM instead of the regular SIM my thunderbolt has. If I got it along with the new line, then the SIM they send me will be tied to the new line and not my current line. I was trying to do all this without having to go in-store so I figure if i use the upgrade to replace my Thunderbolt, they will ship me the correct SIM along with the phone like they did when I originally got my thunderbolt.

lignicolos fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 15, 2011

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bull3964 posted:

I'm curious what full retail will be. It will probably be around $649 which is a bit too rich for my blood
$649.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I just got the standard Verizon "Vehicle Mount For Galaxy Nexus" ($39.99) and it has NO (zero) input jacks. LAME.  I also picked up the spare battery + charger, also $39.99.

The rep at the Verizon store where i went confirmed that the extended battery will be 50% off (so, $25) if you buy it when you purchase your phone.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Aatrek posted:

I just got the standard Verizon "Vehicle Mount For Galaxy Nexus" ($39.99) and it has NO (zero) input jacks. LAME.  I also picked up the spare battery + charger, also $39.99.

The rep at the Verizon store where i went confirmed that the extended battery will be 50% off (so, $25) if you buy it when you purchase your phone.

wait so there's no way to charge your phone on the mount? or just no audio jack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Nothing at all - it has cut-outs so you can plug a cable right into your phone.

• Locked thread