Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VonSwoopington
Jun 3, 2010

tzirean posted:

No.

Interesting... well I guess I'm a day less than 2 months away (2/13/12) and that is probably why I didn't get a text. Anyone else with a secondary line able to move up their upgrade date by calling Verizon? I've been denied 3 times now :( .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Dickeye posted:

According to this it's $299 with contract.

Well then, good bye OG Droid. It was a good run.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Aatrek posted:

I just got the standard Verizon "Vehicle Mount For Galaxy Nexus" ($39.99) and it has NO (zero) input jacks. LAME.  I also picked up the spare battery + charger, also $39.99.

I had gotten the Bionic vehicle mount and it had it's own port for MicroUSB, but the 3.5mm cable just plugged into the phone, pretty awesome mount regardless.

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
Is it very likely that I will be able to pick up the Nexus in-store tomorrow around 4:00PM or should I just order it online?

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

Smellrose

Aatrek posted:

Nothing at all - it has cut-outs so you can plug a cable right into your phone.

Might want to look into the Samsung car dock, it has the ports.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/03/official-galaxy-nexus-dock-accessories-play-pre-order-cardock-a/

edit: Was the Amazon deal for the RAZR for only new contracts while people upgrading were excluded right? I really want to blow my load on this thing tomorrow.

Congobongo fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 15, 2011

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I stopped by my local Verizon store today and picked up these two accessories for the new Samsung Galaxy Nexus: the Navigation Vehicle Mount and the Spare Battery Charging Kit.

The vehicle mount does not include any charging points or built-in access ports (for the USB or 3.5mm headphone jack) - it has cutouts around each plug to allow normal charging / headphone access. Perhaps the official Samsung mount is the only version with the extended capabilities? Hmm. Knowing Verizon, that's probably true.

The spare battery is the same 1850mAh, NFC-capable battery that comes with the device; this just allows you to charge the spare battery while charging your phone at the same time.

A video walkthrough of the two accessories (sorry about any sound or focus issues):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dkFDo6r0r0&hd=1

Close-up photos of the dock ($39.99):

...and the spare battery/charger ($39.99):

May 1, 2008

ಠ_ಠ
Wonder if this is going to be a sold out, "get there when it opens" kind of thing, and they'll run out of stock in store. I live in one of the few spots in the country where this is possible (drat you fellow Bay Area techies :argh:), so I'm not sure whether or not to just order it online or hold off on the workout until the store opens and I get the phone.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Hopefully with the amount of verizon stores around here, and the fact that it isn't advertised anywhere, i'll get one.

Yo Eleven
Aug 5, 2010
Called my local corporate store earlier this evening and they offered to reserve one for me. Dropping by at 9am when they open to pick it up. I wonder if anyone else in my area even knows the phone exists.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
$154.99 on let's talk at midnight:

http://www.bgr.com/2011/12/14/verizon-galaxy-nexus-available-for-just-154-99-letstalk/

Penny? Do I hear a penny?

I would seriously pause at $299...I can easily see Amazon tossing up a penny promotion for this phone in the near future...

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

hotsauce posted:

$154.99 on let's talk at midnight:

http://www.bgr.com/2011/12/14/verizon-galaxy-nexus-available-for-just-154-99-letstalk/

Penny? Do I hear a penny?

I would seriously pause at $299...I can easily see Amazon tossing up a penny promotion for this phone in the near future...

loving. Sold.

Holy poo poo. I am at least going to pick up one for the fiancee as she is rocking an OG Droid.

I guess one good thing about the constant "delays," it's kind of yesterdays news.

Edit: Wonder if I need to have a Facebook account, I will reactivate that poo poo for this deal I do not care.

Editx2: You totally do, don't care. Not one bit.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 15, 2011

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!
So what's the good super phone right now? I'm looking for a big screen, android, HD recording, 4g, front facing camera etc.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
beats me

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Mesothelioma posted:

So what's the good super phone right now? I'm looking for a big screen, android, HD recording, 4g, front facing camera etc.

What the hell is a phone?

Tahm Bwady
Aug 7, 2008

Its 1 thing to jump and be able to land on 2 feet but I had no idea I was landing in Heaven.Hope all is well on this good Friday

Mesothelioma posted:

hooo boy do you have good timing

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Mesothelioma posted:

Tahm Bwady posted:

hooo boy do you have good timing

Yeah, the white RAZR is set to drop tomorrow, so you should be good. I can't think of a phone that's been more hotly anticipated since the original black RAZR.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The joke they're making is that we've been discussing the Galaxy Nexus for the last several pages and that is the current superphone you should get.

Also, you should read at least the last page of a thread before posting in it.

Sorry for ending the joke guys.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mesothelioma posted:

I'm thinking the Droid 2.

May 1, 2008

ಠ_ಠ
I hate you Rastor, I wanted him to come back all smug with a Rezound boasting about his sweet beats audio headphones.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe I'll ask if the Nexus comes with beats audio when I pick it up tomorrow.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

Dickeye posted:

I'm thinking the Droid 2.

Psh… more like Droid Eris.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Can anyone who has played with a GN demo unit comment on the build quality? Every Samsung phone I've owned has been incredibly cheap and poorly made. The last time I got really excited about a phone, it was the Samsung Omnia. After having it for a couple of months, the case would just pop off for no apparent reason. The screen was a thin piece of plastic hovering over another thin piece of plastic, which was the worst idea ever for a touch screen. Please tell me it's built not entirely out of cheap plastic.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bloodplay it again posted:

Can anyone who has played with a GN demo unit comment on the build quality? Every Samsung phone I've owned has been incredibly cheap and poorly made. The last time I got really excited about a phone, it was the Samsung Omnia. After having it for a couple of months, the case would just pop off for no apparent reason. The screen was a thin piece of plastic hovering over another thin piece of plastic, which was the worst idea ever for a touch screen. Please tell me it's built not entirely out of cheap plastic.

From what I've seen & heard, you're not going to get something like an iPhone, but it's a step up from the Chinese knockoff quality of the Galaxy S series.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SpacedOut posted:

Psh… more like Droid Eris.

I have the Sony Ericsson Vigor Vibrant S G2 and it's the best thing I've ever owned.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Droid 4 on the 22th, supposedly! :unsmith:

(I'll go back to my hole now, sorry.)

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Are you sure you don't want the Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch??

I don't think it's possible for phone names to get much more douche-y than that. That being said I know they will. Quickly.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Bloodplay it again posted:

I have the GSM GNEX and its, well, a classic Samsung device. Plasticky like all other Samsung devices but I actually like that.

As someone said, its no iPhone but it also won't shatter to pieces if dropped.

Good enough for me.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

If you go into a physical Verizon store to upgrade, do they just add it to your bill or can you pay on the spot?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

sadus posted:

If you go into a physical Verizon store to upgrade, do they just add it to your bill or can you pay on the spot?

You can put it on your next bill, or you can pay on the spot.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus/140886-bill-account-nexus-store.html

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=5801

Looks like corporate discounts apply to the Nexus, too. I see $249.99 for the price if I'm logged in, rather than $299.99 otherwise.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Kyrosiris posted:

Droid 4 on the 22th, supposedly! :unsmith:

(I'll go back to my hole now, sorry.)
It's cool man, I dig physical keyboards and I'll be all about the Droid 4 once it gets an official ICS update.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
I just bought a Galaxy Nexus from Amazon for $199, no tax. Details on Fatwallet here: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1151582/m16523838/#m16523838 . Note, though, that my order is saying backordered, will ship in 8-9 days.

Edit: Some unconfirmed googling indicates that new phones on Amazon often say "backordered" right when added. I'm hopeful that I'll be using my new phone early next week.

VermiciousKnid84 fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 15, 2011

Endor
Aug 15, 2001

Just got an email from Verizon that the Nexus is available, y'all!

Holy poo poo guys, check it out, this phone has:

Verizon's Press Release Email posted:

Android 4.0 OS
4G LTE
Google+
Google+ Video Chat Hangouts

Hot drat, no other phone on the market has all those features! Why wouldn't anyone want this sweet-rear end new phone? Thanks for letting me know it's available, Verizon!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

I just bought a Galaxy Nexus from Amazon for $199
Decided not to go for $154.99?

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004

Rastor posted:

Decided not to go for $154.99?

That deal isn't actually live yet, and I wanted to get my Amazon order in. I have some doubts that it will actually work on the Nexus. Also, I hadn't heard of that store before so at first blush I thought it was a bit shady, although that doesn't seem to be the case.

Maybe if I'm still up at 2am, and people are reporting that it works, I'll just cancel my order at Amazon.

Edit: Hmm, the company dude answering comments on the LetsTalk facebook page confirmed that the deal will be applicable to the GNex.

VermiciousKnid84 fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 15, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Well, I set my alarm, seems someone at Letstalk did not set theirs.

:f5: ugh, come on, I want to go back to sleep please.

Edit: I see no way to keep my unlimited data and the 75$ coupon is not working, screw this, I'm going back to sleep.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 15, 2011

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004

Codiusprime posted:

Well, I set my alarm, seems someone at Letstalk did not set theirs.

:f5: ugh, come on, I want to go back to sleep please.

Well, it's up. But it seems like you're forced into getting certain plans. I tried to pick a plan without unlimited texting, but the phone price jacks up. I'll mess around with this a bit more (website is being slammed, and takes a long time on my lovely connection), but it looks like I'll be keeping my amazon order.

TheSleeper
Feb 20, 2003

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

Well, it's up. But it seems like you're forced into getting certain plans. I tried to pick a plan without unlimited texting, but the phone price jacks up. I'll mess around with this a bit more (website is being slammed, and takes a long time on my lovely connection), but it looks like I'll be keeping my amazon order.

What's so strange about that is if you're upgrading and choose a plan without unlimited texting, it doesn't get jacked up as high as if you're getting a new line without unlimited texting.

Dirtanium
Aug 3, 2007
Just got my order placed, $175 on a contract renewal. OG Droid, you have served me well, but your time is at an end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Dirtanium posted:

Just got my order placed, $175 on a contract renewal. OG Droid, you have served me well, but your time is at an end.

Did you have unlimited data? If so how did you keep it?

• Locked thread