Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Whoever decided fighting a sniper who has infinite grenades and a permanent height advantage was fun needs to drink bleach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Magic posted:

I gave up on this the first time because the combat just peeved me off, but I guess I'll give it another try.

Any tips for a first play through? I've read the OP and I'm fine with running through the game and making mistakes. I used to be a bit of a perfectionist where I'd keep reloading until I was satisfied with things, but I'm fine with not caring (I've managed a greedy thief in Skyrim well enough - oh I'm so daring!). My inclination for games likes DE HR is stealth, with silent take-downs through tranq darts and martial arts, though in HR's case I got bored of not using all of the weapons in the game. Instead I'm tempted to do a Deadpool run with SMG and dialog that's either 'erratic' (whatever I feel like at the time) or 'serious'.

I have two pieces of advice:

1. Play on easy. As you have noticed, this is not a very good game when it comes to being a game. On a similar note, don't try to stealth every level. Most levels aren't built for it, and the ones that are aren't built very well.

2. Don't lock yourself into an attitude. This isn't mass effect, where you pick top right or bottom right at the start and stick with it. Choose the options as they come up, and pick whichever one you think suits the situation. And don't reload. There isn't a right option or a wrong option. Just different options.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 12, 2011

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Unoriginal Name posted:

Whoever decided fighting a sniper who has infinite grenades and a permanent height advantage was fun needs to drink bleach.

It's an easy fight once you know what to do. Open the door on the other tower and counter snipe him

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

Sam. posted:

Is there any reason not to execute Brayko? He's a douchebag, and unlike Shaheed or Omen Deng he doesn't help you with anything later on, at least not that I know of.

Spoilers, clearly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhOTRug0U1E

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Torsade de Pointes posted:

It's an easy fight once you know what to do. Open the door on the other tower and counter snipe him

And if I ran out of EMPs or didn't put points in sabotage?

I used all of them without realizing on my last playthrough and jesus christ I don't think I've ever had less fun in a video game.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Unoriginal Name posted:

I used all of them without realizing on my last playthrough and jesus christ I don't think I've ever had less fun in a video game.

This has happened to me numerous times, I've made sure to buy lots of EMPs but forgot/didn't know that each slot can only equip two. Having to roll around and try to lock criticals on his tiny head with an unleveled assualt rifle is just brutal and is indeed very very unfun.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Gaggins posted:

This has happened to me numerous times, I've made sure to buy lots of EMPs but forgot/didn't know that each slot can only equip two. Having to roll around and try to lock criticals on his tiny head with an unleveled assualt rifle is just brutal and is indeed very very unfun.

He's chain shot-able.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gohuskies posted:

He's chain shot-able.

Yeah most people seem to gloss over the fact that Chain Shot does not have any of the pistol's normal range or accuracy limitations. You obviously can't snipe everyone with it because of the cooldown, but otherwise it'll always hit precisely where you place the crosshairs.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

My biggest gripe with the game so far is that stealth isn't an option. Like, here's how stealth goes as you progress into the game:

1. See a bunch of enemies
2. Find a spot where you can actually physically see them and they won't be moving into cover
3. Chain shot to clear the area in one attack
4. Exploration time!

There are occasional situations where by using high end armor and armor mods and lots of points in the stealth tree, you can perform unseen takedowns and that kind of thing, but the rule is generally that if you fire a shot and it doesn't put somebody out god damned immediately, welcome to alarm city, everyone has a pretty good idea of where you are, and it led to me abandoning stealth enhancing armor mods in favor of the stuff that raises endurance and damage reduction. I'm GOING to get into fire fights, whether I like it or not, so gently caress it, I'm going in prepared. Still using the high-end stealth armor with 5 sound dampening, 3 armor mods and great qualities otherwise, I've not totally given up or anything, but being stealthy is worth gently caress all once bullets start flying and that's how combat tends to go, I've found it's way, way better to prepare for that with armor mods than it is to whip on advanced digital camo, multispectral flashbulbs, or any of that other poo poo - put on endurance and damage resistance mods, and 5 noise reduction (super duper stealth armor minus the noise from the advanced ablative ceramic mod) plus lots of stealth tree good stuff plus the perk that gives you 20% quieter movement is more than ample for what relatively few good stealth opportunities there are. There -are- situations where you can use stealth, but they're more tricks than general gameplay. Get used to cover shooting 'cause that's the game, for the most part.

THAT SAID, chain shot trivializes the combat in this game so good, though. Go hog wild with pistols and you have solved the mystery of "how do I do combat in this game for scenario __________" since it snipes better than assault rifle by far, does way more burst damage than SMGs, and while shotgun knockdown is kind of hilarious, pistol one hit KO's make the hassle of shotguns kind of mediocre.

It's really more of a massively nonlinear adventure game with action RPG trimmings than anything else. Play on easy, cheat your poo poo, it doesn't matter at all because the story is the entire point of the game and it's as polymorphic as the .exe that makes it a little hard to hack :v:

Agreed fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 12, 2011

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Shotguns and SMGs don't have chain shot (or assault rifle's long range accuracy).

Regarding (Darcy spoilers) the Darcy fight, another option is to simply kick the door open. It might require a few points in martial arts, though.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Smol posted:

Shotguns and SMGs don't have chain shot (or assault rifle's long range accuracy).

Right, that's kind of what I'm saying - Pistols are clearly the best weapon in the game by a ridiculous margin and you're gimping yourself by picking other guns. Which is fine, especially if you're playing on Normal or Easy, which is also fine because Obsidian bless their hearts didn't put together a particularly fantastic shooter experience but I've never seen story like this, it's amazing. Total spiderweb. Love it.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Smol posted:

Regarding (Darcy spoilers) the Darcy fight, another option is to simply kick the door open. It might require a few points in martial arts, though.

I had something like 8 points in martial arts and couldn't kick it in.

Agreed posted:

Right, that's kind of what I'm saying - Pistols are clearly the best weapon in the game by a ridiculous margin and you're gimping yourself by picking other guns. Which is fine, especially if you're playing on Normal or Easy, which is also fine because Obsidian bless their hearts didn't put together a particularly fantastic shooter experience but I've never seen story like this, it's amazing. Total spiderweb. Love it.

Pistols are the only weapon you can attack from cover with, I think. They really are pretty ridiculous.

The story and immersion is absolutely fantastic, but I can understand why critics blasted it's gameplay.

Outrespective
Oct 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

gohuskies posted:

He's chain shot-able.

Chain shot every boss all the time.

The only problem is when you get the last rank in chain shot and if you have enough ranks in other abilities + decent pistol + decent mods to your pistol, one chain shot is enough to kill most bosses from full to zero (or whatever their min health to escape with is).

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Question about that, with a Pistol, what matters apart from Damage? It looks like Chain Shot removes recoil and stability as considerations, and fastloading means clips aren't a big deal at all, so apart from sticking a silencer on it does any attribute matter particularly apart from just damage? I've been using the Samael one forever and I'm really looking hard at the one that adds like 7 damage but reduces the other stats by quite a lot. If I'm right and only damage matters with Chain Shot, going to use that one from here on in I think.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Imagine a pistol chain-shotting a boss' face, forever.

And yes, after you get enough points in pistols, damage (and maybe a silencer) is all that ever matters. Even if you're not chain-shotting, you'll be firing off single critical shots from in-cover, so accuracy doesn't matter in that regard either.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Agreed posted:

My biggest gripe with the game so far is that stealth isn't an option.

Stealth opened up for me once I realised that stabbing a man in the neck didn't break invisibility. Then I spent every encounter running around while invisible trying to melee instakill every person in the room before it ran out :3:

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Unoriginal Name posted:

If you can't EMP it or kick it in, then you can just open it normally. It's easier if you have stealth to sneak up there, but it's doable without stealth.

Unoriginal Name posted:

Pistols are the only weapon you can attack from cover with, I think. They really are pretty ridiculous.
Nah you can blind fire without breaking cover with all the other weapons.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Torsade de Pointes posted:

Nah you can blind fire without breaking cover with all the other weapons.

Yeah, but with a pistol, by the time you've got it to the mastery level, neeearly every enemy you encounter can be precisely targeted from full cover. Other weapons can be blind-fired, you can use super spy powers to spend less than two seconds super spy reticule shrinking and ping a dude in the head at 40m without ever looking at him.

Contra Duck posted:

Stealth opened up for me once I realised that stabbing a man in the neck didn't break invisibility. Then I spent every encounter running around while invisible trying to melee instakill every person in the room before it ran out :3:

Shadow Operative has been great for deciding who I want to end up having a shootout with, but I haven't yet had much success avoiding firefights in any mission. Though I've got achievements for tons of stealth takedowns, for missions where no alarms went off, etc.; I just tend to get them by chain-shotting everyone in view first. The level design isn't very good, just... generally speaking. It kinda sucks. Generic would be the best way I would describe it, when a game that touts stealth as one of several possible options really probably ought to pay ridiculous attention to level design. The stealth gameplay isn't as good as early Splinter Cell games.

But the story... :3:

Agreed fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 12, 2011

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Agreed posted:

Yeah, but with a pistol, by the time you've got it to the mastery level, neeearly every enemy you encounter can be precisely targeted from full cover. Other weapons can be blind-fired, you can use super spy powers to spend less than two seconds super spy reticule shrinking and ping a dude in the head at 40m without ever looking at him.

Not disagreeing that pistols are the most powerful or anything. Just saying you can shoot the other guns without peaking your head out. SMGs work pretty well with this, especially if you've got upgraded Bullet Storm.

Agreed posted:

Shadow Operative has been great for deciding who I want to end up having a shootout with, but I haven't yet had much success avoiding firefights in any mission. Though I've got achievements for tons of stealth takedowns, for missions where no alarms went off, etc.; I just tend to get them by chain-shotting everyone in view first. The level design isn't very good, just... generally speaking. It kinda sucks. Generic would be the best way I would describe it, when a game that touts stealth as one of several possible options really probably ought to pay ridiculous attention to level design. The stealth gameplay isn't as good as early Splinter Cell games.

But the story... :3:

I think it helps if you treat stealth as another tool in your arsenal of combat skills rather than a dedicated style of play. Use stealth to sneak up to your enemies and take them out or reposition yourself during a firefight. The game definitely isn't meant to be played like Splinter Cell or MGS. There's only a small number of missions that can be beaten without being seen at some point. There's also very few times that not being stealthy will negatively affect you.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I just got this from Amazon since it was $10 for 360. I beat it twice back when it first came out but I never bothered to do recruit (and thus veteran). Any special tips for a recruit run? I already know how to abuse pistols. Which is a better achievement to do on this run--killing absolutely everyone or sparing everyone (and making them into allies)?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

ElwoodCuse posted:

I just got this from Amazon since it was $10 for 360. I beat it twice back when it first came out but I never bothered to do recruit (and thus veteran). Any special tips for a recruit run? I already know how to abuse pistols. Which is a better achievement to do on this run--killing absolutely everyone or sparing everyone (and making them into allies)?

In the opening at Graybox make sure you always pick the recruit dialogue option whenever it's available. You'll end up with 10 extra AP.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Holy poo poo I just got a character to like me more by sending him an email full of TimeCube :laffo:

This game is amazing, thank you thread for making me play it.

Phaeoacremonium
Aug 7, 2008
Just want to thank the OP for recommending this game. I picked up a PS3 copy for the local equivalent of ten bucks on Tuesday and have really been enjoying it. I'm quite resentful of the misleading reviews I read about it in the local gaming press.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Phaeoacremonium posted:

Just want to thank the OP for recommending this game. I picked up a PS3 copy for the local equivalent of ten bucks on Tuesday and have really been enjoying it. I'm quite resentful of the misleading reviews I read about it in the local gaming press.

To be fair, the game doesn't really come into its own until after Saudi Arabia. Greybox and Saudi are kind of blah, and I bet most game reviewers have at least mentally sketched out their review before they finish those sections.

To some extent you don't really see the genius of the game the first run through at all. You're all, "okay I made mostly right choices and I won the game". The characters you make friends with seem to be essential for winning the game. Then you play through again, and a million little things are different based on the changes you make and it is like woah.

I suspect that very few critics play through a game twice before writing a review. Some of them probably don't even bother the finish the game at all if they aren't digging it.

Phaeoacremonium
Aug 7, 2008

Angela Christine posted:

To be fair, the game doesn't really come into its own until after Saudi Arabia. Greybox and Saudi are kind of blah, and I bet most game reviewers have at least mentally sketched out their review before they finish those sections.

To some extent you don't really see the genius of the game the first run through at all. You're all, "okay I made mostly right choices and I won the game". The characters you make friends with seem to be essential for winning the game. Then you play through again, and a million little things are different based on the changes you make and it is like woah.

I suspect that very few critics play through a game twice before writing a review. Some of them probably don't even bother the finish the game at all if they aren't digging it.

It's completely understandable and to be fair, the review wasn't entirely terrible. The reviewer was just quite obviously looking for something completely different, i.e. a smooth combat system, completely overlooking the excellent dialogue system and fun plot. But water under the bridge. If the game had done better on the local review circuit, I probably wouldn't have been able to pick it up for so cheap around here until much later.

I'm probably only more or less halfway done. Will certainly play it again.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Phaeoacremonium posted:

It's completely understandable and to be fair, the review wasn't entirely terrible. The reviewer was just quite obviously looking for something completely different, i.e. a smooth combat system, completely overlooking the excellent dialogue system and fun plot. But water under the bridge. If the game had done better on the local review circuit, I probably wouldn't have been able to pick it up for so cheap around here until much later.

I'm probably only more or less halfway done. Will certainly play it again.

Well, yeah, except some reviews compared its reactivity unfavourably to Mass Effect, because it felt like none of your actions had any consequences in AP, unlike in ME. :p

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
I hate that people have such short attention spans that they cannot see an action having a consequence six hours down the line. Unless you are coked up and playing this game you have no excuse to justify such a silly opinion as, "I did this and nothing different happened right away what the hell this is bullshit," because this game is all about the long-game. You don't become a spy, even one on the run, so you can change things right away. You set events in motion and wait for the outcome while you set other things in motion.

It's the difference between playing chess and playing snap. Sure snap is fun but you don't get the build up to totally dicking someone over that you do with chess or a game that's played two or three steps ahead of everyone else.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Exercu posted:

Well, yeah, except some reviews compared its reactivity unfavourably to Mass Effect, because it felt like none of your actions had any consequences in AP, unlike in ME. :p

Game reviewers are whores. I don't think there's a single choice in ME1 or ME2 that matters one bit.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Sam. posted:

Game reviewers are whores. I don't think there's a single choice in ME1 or ME2 that matters one bit.

Whether or not you can win ME3 depends on how you reacted to the death of that dude who died in the first 5 minutes of ME1.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

gohuskies posted:

Whether or not you can win ME3 depends on how you reacted to the death of that dude who died in the first 5 minutes of ME1.

If you don't import a save you are automatically given the bad choice.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

gohuskies posted:

The funny thing is that after that big ME3 script leak I thought you might conceivably be serious. :haw:

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I just beat this game for the first time, couldn't find Mina at the end so she died. I was completely alone on the boat at the end :smith:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Woah, I didn't know that was even possible. Doesn't Heck show up if no one else does?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Doc Hawkins posted:

Woah, I didn't know that was even possible. Doesn't Heck show up if no one else does?

On the boat? Nah, only Mina, Scarlet and Heck can join up with you there, and I think that's only if they're your handlers at the time.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

The Duke posted:

I just beat this game for the first time, couldn't find Mina at the end so she died. I was completely alone on the boat at the end :smith:

(Final mission spoilers) Mina is in the room to your left, after Leland/Westridge mocks you on screen and says something like "We've got Mina". It's pretty easy to miss..

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

On the boat? Nah, only Mina, Scarlet and Heck can join up with you there, and I think that's only if they're your handlers at the time.

My point is that I thought at least one of them had to, because you need a handler on the final mission.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Doc Hawkins posted:

My point is that I thought at least one of them had to, because you need a handler on the final mission.

There are a few ones where they don't, eg SIE never gets on the boat, even if you "romance" her

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I finally got around to doing my planned aggressive stance playthrough using shotguns and martial arts as my main combat skills.

I didn't think Room Sweep with flechette ammo could defeat bosses so fast! I defeated Sis so fast the cutscene afterwards bugged out and started playing in fast motion, and Deng's endurance was gone in 1 shot, and then he was defeated ~10 seconds later. When I did an SMG playthrough Marburg gave me tons of trouble, but flechette ammo had him constantly stunned and doing backflips, unable to attack.

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
My game is hanging on the load screen of my first-ever save in the tutorial, after making .ini changes in the OP to improve performance.

I can see this maybe being an issue with playing the game. Does this crop up often, or did my computer somehow decide this wasn't the game for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Do you need to make the ini changes? If I remember correctly they can cause instability.

• Locked thread