Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Codiusprime posted:

Did you have unlimited data? If so how did you keep it?

Here's what the guy who runs the LetsTalk facebook page wrote. I don't know if this works, just passing along what I read:

"Here is your way to get around it and keep your unlimited plan. After you select your phone and plan you will get to the data packages page. On that page it will have the 4G plan selected but if your upgrading you can select the "0.00" plan for "Upgrades Only" that way you should be able to keep your same plan without losing you unlimited minutes. :)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

Here's what the guy who runs the LetsTalk facebook page wrote. I don't know if this works, just passing along what I read:

"Here is your way to get around it and keep your unlimited plan. After you select your phone and plan you will get to the data packages page. On that page it will have the 4G plan selected but if your upgrading you can select the "0.00" plan for "Upgrades Only" that way you should be able to keep your same plan without losing you unlimited minutes. :)"

I followed these steps too.

Extra note: If you are upgrading, don't order the phone from its main LetsTalk page. Go to the tab that says "Cell Phones" and then select "Upgrade," and the Nexus should appear on a list of other phones.

Dirtanium
Aug 3, 2007

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

Yea, I saw that. I'm going to double check with Verizon though.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
I just did the LetsTalk thing, and they had an option for "Keep your current data plan" that I selected.

Looks like their system makes you pay tax on the pre-coupon price or something, since it was $53. Weird. But still cheaper overall.

Tahm Bwady
Aug 7, 2008

Its 1 thing to jump and be able to land on 2 feet but I had no idea I was landing in Heaven.Hope all is well on this good Friday
Yep, got it ordered too, just gotta check the Upgrade Only box.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Boosh! Two ordered should be here on Friday with my unlimited data plan intact. So loving excited.

Night Bitches.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

On Letstalk, I'm not seeing any plan options besides the $59.99 talk and text plan. I'm currently on 450 minutes and the $5 texting plan, which it lets me keep if I upgrade through the Verizon website. Anyone know if that's possible with Letstalk?

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

I have a 20% employer discount, a $30 coupon (that they may or may not let me use with my discount) and a gift card... It's going to be really drat hard not to stop by the VZW store that is conveniently just off the highway on my drive home...

soru
Apr 27, 2003

I'm in Israel right now for work and the timing of LetsTalk was just too perfect to pass up. It went on sale at 10am local time on Thursday. I go home tonight and will arrive at my house about 3pm Friday pacific time, which is when the free overnight delivery will drop it off. Viola.

Of course, that's assuming they ship when they say they will.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dijkstra posted:

I have a 20% employer discount, a $30 coupon (that they may or may not let me use with my discount) and a gift card... It's going to be really drat hard not to stop by the VZW store that is conveniently just off the highway on my drive home...

So how do employer discounts work on phones? I thought that was just for the plans.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So how do employer discounts work on phones? I thought that was just for the plans.

My employer discount is 17%. The VZW web store just lists all (most?) phones as 17% cheaper.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Some of them are for plans only, some are for plans and accessories, some are for everything, it depends on the employer I think. Mine was recently changed from plans and accessories only to just about everything.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
drat. I guess the federal government is plan only? Every time I try to check online the prices don't change at all. Then again the plan prices are the same too, so maybe I'm just getting screwed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think the military gets a lovely discount, that's why I'm glad my dad gets a 20% discount from a company he no longer works for.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Just showed up at my local corporate store. There are 12 people waiting for it to open.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
How much longer is that double data promo going on? I think I'm going to bite the bullet and do this thing now that the Nexus is out but I have literally no idea what I'm doing and I want to make sure I get what I want without paying more than I have to. Why are folks using Letstalk for this?

I have an employer discount on plans that I haven't put into effect yet. Does it make any difference whether I do it before or after the upgrade?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Meldonox posted:

How much longer is that double data promo going on? I think I'm going to bite the bullet and do this thing now that the Nexus is out but I have literally no idea what I'm doing and I want to make sure I get what I want without paying more than I have to. Why are folks using Letstalk for this?

I have an employer discount on plans that I haven't put into effect yet. Does it make any difference whether I do it before or after the upgrade?
They've said "through the holidays" for the double data so I imagine you have at least until Christmas. They certainly don't want to end it before xmas and miss out on any last minute buyers.

Letstalk is cheaper because they basically share with you some of the dealer commission they get with Verizon (in the form of a discounted device up front). The tradeoff is they only do new lines/upgrades, no outright sales, and you need to keep the line and data plan active for 181 days or else they will send you their own ETF in addition to the carrier's.

If you are going to buy through Verizon anyway and not a third party, you may want to add your employer discount first. It could save you some cash on the phone and accessories if you get them. I know my corporate contract gets me $50 off a phone in addition to discounts on the monthly service, and I think 20 or 30% off accessories too.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
When I add the phone to my upgrade online my plan details mentions nothing about data, only my $9.99 talk and text. Is this normal? I'm just being paranoid like everyone else about losing my unlimited data.

Edit: Current price shows $16.98 vs. my old price of $46.98. My corporate data costs $30. :ohdear:

Maybe I should just go in store and grab one, do you get the discounted price in store if you are under a corporate account?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Despite having plenty of phones, the verizon store near me actually ran out of sim cards :facepalm:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Gwaihir posted:

Despite having plenty of phones, the verizon store near me actually ran out of sim cards :facepalm:

Wow, how does that even happen. If you go from one 4g phone to another can you use the same SIM card?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Cojawfee posted:

I think the military gets a lovely discount, that's why I'm glad my dad gets a 20% discount from a company he no longer works for.

The military gets 20%. I also still have it a year and a half after I got out.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned
Can someone please explain what the LetsTalk deal is in greater detail, or more generally the relationship between Verizon and their retailers?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

wandler20 posted:

Wow, how does that even happen. If you go from one 4g phone to another can you use the same SIM card?

Yes, they just have to be activated I believe with the ESN on the new phone. I had no idea 4G phones used SIM cards and now Verizon can use voice and data over their LTE network.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Perfect. To the Verizon store!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The military discount applies to veterans as well

cuddlefish
Nov 11, 2003

That was a game.

This is paintball.
The LetsTalk deal was $194 instead of $175 for me for some reason, but still better than going through Verizon by $100 or Amazon by $50 and 8 or so days, so I'm happy. Now to find a case!

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Just got back from my local corporate store. As I posted earlier, I arrived about 5 minutes before they opened. There was about 20 people total waiting for the store to open. I think I was around #13 on the list to be served. It took about 45 minutes till they finally got to me, apparently there were a lot of people returning their rental RAZR's and Rezounds and that was really slowing things down.

While waiting to be helped, I heard a rep answer the phone and mention that they had 40 in stock and approximately 30 in store already waiting for one. I'm going to venture a guess and say that coming in at opening was a much better plan then going in during the evening.

And holy crap this phone is awesome.

Edit: Just got a system update notice. I'm currently on 4.0.1 guessing this is 4.0.2

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Lblitzer posted:

Yes, they just have to be activated I believe with the ESN on the new phone. I had no idea 4G phones used SIM cards and now Verizon can use voice and data over their LTE network.

Voice isn't over LTE, but you are correct in that you can use LTE data while using voice.

The Galaxy Nexus uses a microSIM so you'll only be able to swap SIMs if you are coming from a Razr or a Stratosphere. That's also probably why some stores are running low, they may have depleted their supply last week when stores were replacing SIMs.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Will the 'rental ' razr work if you got it via amazon? I am waffleing back and forth on keeping my thanksgiving razr vs nexus

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

wandler20 posted:

When I add the phone to my upgrade online my plan details mentions nothing about data, only my $9.99 talk and text. Is this normal? I'm just being paranoid like everyone else about losing my unlimited data.

Edit: Current price shows $16.98 vs. my old price of $46.98. My corporate data costs $30. :ohdear:

Maybe I should just go in store and grab one, do you get the discounted price in store if you are under a corporate account?

On the order screen you have the option to chat with a Verizon person, and you have the option of e-mailing yourself the transcript of that conversation. I'd say just get them to say you won't lose your unlimited data in writing and you'll be fine.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today
bull, are you sticking with the Razr??

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Local Verizon store wouldn't let me reserve last night and won't tell me how much stock they have this morning :( Did anyone else see lines or sellouts? On the one hand, nerd phone with no advertising shouldn't sell out. However, it seems like there's been enough hype online with the delay saga that lots of people are grabbing one. I can't go until after work, so I'm a little worried about them selling out and not getting more stock for awhile.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

bull3964 posted:

Voice isn't over LTE, but you are correct in that you can use LTE data while using voice.

The Galaxy Nexus uses a microSIM so you'll only be able to swap SIMs if you are coming from a Razr or a Stratosphere. That's also probably why some stores are running low, they may have depleted their supply last week when stores were replacing SIMs.

You can use a sim cutter, just like the iPhone one.

I don't like the build quality of this thing at all. But the software is awesome. But other than that, I'd take a Razr or a Rezound over this thing in a second. ICS is coming to both those phones too, guys. As far as I can tell, the only ICS phone that can do SVDO (voice and data at the same time over 3G) is the Rezound still.

SIM activation server is taking FOREVER this morning as well.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 15, 2011

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So I think the Nexus is pretty popular. I just got off the phone with two stores in DC. One sold out right as I was talking to them and the other said they sold out around 10 and had heard the other DC stores were also out. I Didn't think they would go that fast.

Looks like I'll be ordering online.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

soru posted:

I just did the LetsTalk thing, and they had an option for "Keep your current data plan" that I selected.

Looks like their system makes you pay tax on the pre-coupon price or something, since it was $53. Weird. But still cheaper overall.

I'm a little hesitant about this because it says VIEW DETAILS FOR IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER with that option and then shows:

quote:

If you do not currently have a Verizon Wireless data feature, your current data feature is no longer supported by Verizon Wireless, or your current data feature is not compatible with the new phone you have selected, we will automatically provision the 2GB Data Package for $30.00/month on your line of service.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

axeil posted:

So I think the Nexus is pretty popular. I just got off the phone with two stores in DC. One sold out right as I was talking to them and the other said they sold out around 10 and had heard the other DC stores were also out. I Didn't think they would go that fast.

Looks like I'll be ordering online.

poo poo, I was going to stop by the one by Farragut West after work. Nevermind, I guess.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Mighty Horse posted:

I don't like the build quality of this thing at all. But the software is awesome.

I haven't picked one up but from pics alone the phone is pretty odd looking. I'm not a fan of that center mounted camera or the cheap 80's car speaker backing. The front looks pretty plain as well. I'm curious how the curvature of the phone plays out - looks pretty goofy in pics.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Apparently existing root methods are not working right now, possibly due to the 4.0.2 OTA. I was able to unlock my bootloader without issue though.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
I like the feel of it honestly. And the curved feel is neat. My only complaint is the 300$ price tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Ciabatta posted:

Local Verizon store wouldn't let me reserve last night and won't tell me how much stock they have this morning :( Did anyone else see lines or sellouts? On the one hand, nerd phone with no advertising shouldn't sell out. However, it seems like there's been enough hype online with the delay saga that lots of people are grabbing one. I can't go until after work, so I'm a little worried about them selling out and not getting more stock for awhile.
There were about 10 people in line ahead of me this morning at 9am at a store here in St Louis. One of the clerks said they were running low, and they were supposedly the store in town that gets the most stock shipped to it.

JP Money posted:

I haven't picked one up but from pics alone the phone is pretty odd looking. I'm not a fan of that center mounted camera or the cheap 80's car speaker backing. The front looks pretty plain as well. I'm curious how the curvature of the phone plays out - looks pretty goofy in pics.

The curve is very, very subtle in your hand. It is not at all the bananaphone it looked like in some of the press pics earlier.

• Locked thread