Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

bam thwok posted:

poo poo, I was going to stop by the one by Farragut West after work. Nevermind, I guess.

I went from 'the wife and I will run into a store on Friday after work' to 'we'll try to do it on our lunch break on thursday' to 'should we take thursday morning off and do it when they open?' to 'gently caress let's buy it online when we wake up.'

Latter plan in effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

kitten smoothie posted:

The curve is very, very subtle in your hand. It is not at all the bananaphone it looked like in some of the press pics earlier.

"ring ring ring ring ring ring ring..." popped into my head the instant I read that. Goddamn you :arghfist:

Glad to see that it finally launched. I've already set my sights on late spring and really digging my Charge on the debloated GB OTA.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ModestMuse posted:

bull, are you sticking with the Razr??

Mighty Horse posted:

I don't like the build quality of this thing at all. But the software is awesome. But other than that, I'd take a Razr or a Rezound over this thing in a second. ICS is coming to both those phones too, guys.

This is my main issue. I love the Razr hardware and I'm not a huge fan of Samsung plastic. I don't want to wait for ICS either. I'm going to check it out at lunch and waffle a bit unless I'm completely blown away.

I'm out of any sort of trade in or anything so I'll be paying full retail for it which makes the decision a bit harder.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
As a GSM owner of the GNEX I am stoked about this launch. Why?

Devs will have to get on the ball updating their apps to ICS compatibily.

There are a ton of apps that have issues currently and I doubt hundreds of thousands of new ICS users will not raise hell.

Win win IMO...

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Sure Razr or Rezound will get ICS eventually, but what about the next one, and the next one after that? I got lucky with the OG Droid and CM7 and assumed all phones would be that well supported, but my wife's Droid X has let me down. This is still all too depressing: http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Alright, any case recommendations for the Nexus? I'm thinking I'll get an Otterbox commuter whenever they release the Nexus one, just because I know the name. But anyone know any other good ones, especially on the more stylish side? Does Verizon have any good ones in their stores?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

sadus posted:

Sure Razr or Rezound will get ICS eventually, but what about the next one, and the next one after that? I got lucky with the OG Droid and CM7 and assumed all phones would be that well supported, but my wife's Droid X has let me down. This is still all too depressing: http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support

This is exactly what I don't like about Android phones. If you bought a phone on a 2 year contract 2 years ago you'd still be running 1.6 or something. Of course there are modding communities but many people don't go that route. I imagine that newer versions of Android are backwords compatible with older software?

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!
So is the nexus really that much nicer than the razr? I bought a razr with intention of swapping it for a nexus. The trouble is that I really like my razr and I boycotted Samsung phones after a bad experience years ago.

I'm definitely on the fence about this. I'm really loving the razr and I'll wait for ics if the nexus is a chintzy hunk of poo poo.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

sadus posted:

This list is skewed.

Devour? Backflip? Ally? These were all low end crap phones from the start, that barely sold anything.

The Android Phones that sold well, like the Incredible 1 & 2 Droid X (and X2) have been pretty well supported. The big exception was the Fascinate.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I'd say the Thunderbolt has been an exception as well.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Mighty Horse posted:

This list is skewed.

Devour? Backflip? Ally? These were all low end crap phones from the start, that barely sold anything.

The Android Phones that sold well, like the Incredible 1 & 2 Droid X (and X2) have been pretty well supported. The big exception was the Fascinate.

Its not really skewed if it has every phone in the time period the chart uses.

Yo Eleven
Aug 5, 2010
Living in a relatively low-populated area of Louisiana has its advantages - well, one. Went to my local Verizon store when they opened at 9. There were seven people there, none of whom knew what the Galaxy Nexus was. I was one of two people who had one reserved, and the only one there early in the morning. Still playing with it. Upgraded from a Droid X and couldn't be happier.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

vote_no posted:

I'd say the Thunderbolt has been an exception as well.

They are trying, but its such a piece of crap it keeps having issues.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I can't get enough reception at work to post from my Nexus. But it is sitting comfortably nearby. Very pretty phone.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I'm a little hesitant about this because it says VIEW DETAILS FOR IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER with that option and then shows:

I'm a little worried about that too. Apparently one of LetsTalks reps on Facebook said it wouldn't get rid of grandfathered data plans, but I can't confirm if that's true or not. I emailed them to get clarification.

I also heard that the "Carrier Approval" step can take up to two days to complete before they actually ship the phone.

EDIT: Under my order receipt it shows:

quote:

Galaxy Nexus by Samsung
Backordered-In Stock on unknown

Ericadia fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 15, 2011

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
Looks like Amazon just brought the Galaxy Nexus down to $150 for new activations. I'm gonna call in and ask if they'll knock the $50 bucks off my order from last night.

Edit: Easy phone call, they gave me the lower price right away. The customer service person did seem to say that the 8-9 backorder was legit, though. Although she didn't seem to have any specific information or anything, so who knows.

VermiciousKnid84 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 15, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I just talked to a lady about that and she said 2 to 24 hours. I keep checking my email in anticipation.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

Looks like Amazon just brought the Galaxy Nexus down to $150 for new activations. I'm gonna call in and ask if they'll knock the $50 bucks off my order from last night.

If you're getting it from Amazon, they also have the $100 gift card promo for hotspot plans running.

In my case, I get 6GB of data with hotspot included no matter which plan and its only $10 more per month with the corporate discount, which doesn't apply to the $30 plan. If I get an iPhone it goes down to 4GB since there's no double-data discount.

And the $100 pays for 10 months of hotspot right there.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004

Mark Larson posted:

If you're getting it from Amazon, they also have the $100 gift card promo for hotspot plans running.

In my case, I get 6GB of data with hotspot included no matter which plan and its only $10 more per month with the corporate discount, which doesn't apply to the $30 plan. If I get an iPhone it goes down to 4GB since there's no double-data discount.

And the $100 pays for 10 months of hotspot right there.

It seems like my company's discount only applies to the voice portion of the plan, not data unfortunately. I don't have Verizon right now, though, so that might be wrong.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Got my GNexus today, it's awesome. My store gave me a free accessory pack with a car charger (useful) a case (actually pretty nice, adds a nice bit of grip to the phone without making it huge, also has a kickstand which is always nice), a holster (will never use) and screen protector. (why?). As a 50 dollar value, it's kind of ridiculous, but for free, I'll take it!

Was also super easy to unlock the bootloader. I probably don't plan on going any further, but it's nice to have the option in case somewhere down the line updates stop coming swiftly.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

Alright, any case recommendations for the Nexus? I'm thinking I'll get an Otterbox commuter whenever they release the Nexus one, just because I know the name. But anyone know any other good ones, especially on the more stylish side? Does Verizon have any good ones in their stores?

I got the Otterbox Defender and it's pretty nice. It might be too big for some folks, but I'm happy.

Holy crap this is such a transformation coming from a G1.

Vilos Cohaagen
Jul 25, 2007
THINK? I DON'T GIVE YOU ENOUGH INFORMATION TO THINK!
Not sure if this belongs here or in the iPhone thread, but can anyone tell me if the 4s on Verizon is available at most retailers for purchase the day of an upgrade or are they still on backorder? Trying to decide if I should do my upgrade online and wait for shipment or visit a store.

May 1, 2008

ಠ_ಠ
poo poo there were about 40 people in line. Just got back, posting from my new nexus:smug: I am in love. This phone really is amazing.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I may have taken off lunch, run to Verizon with my wife, and gotten a new phone. Holy hell it is nice. Maybe people with dual core phones already won't notice too much, but it really is a huge upgrade in terms of responsiveness from my Charge. It is definitely plasticky, but I actually like that the back isn't slick plastic and has a little texture. Again, coming from a Charge, no complaints!

Edit: Also, to get an upgrade, I had to transfer the phone and they said I lost the warranty. I picked up insurance for $7 fully intending to cancel after this month. The rep said this got me back under warranty. Are they going to hassle me when I call to cancel the insurance in a month or two once I'm somewhat confident I didn't get a bum unit?

Ciabatta fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 15, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Vilos Cohaagen posted:

Not sure if this belongs here or in the iPhone thread, but can anyone tell me if the 4s on Verizon is available at most retailers for purchase the day of an upgrade or are they still on backorder? Trying to decide if I should do my upgrade online and wait for shipment or visit a store.

They were on a 2 day shipping delay when I went to the Verizon store at my local BJs, at least for the 16GB Black 4S.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/android-building/mpRKTbyNI8U/XRq0yScuAPYJ

Recovery images for the LTE version of the Nexus are up now. In other words if you root and jack up your phone, here's your backstop.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My verizon store was dead.

For some reason the Galaxy Nexus they had on display didn't have any data which was annoying.

Impressions are that it has a very nice display and I think I could live with the hardware refinement level. However, the launcher on my Razr was actually more smooth than the Galaxy Nexus that was on display (and this was after a fresh reboot and it doesn't look like they installed anything on it.)

Underwhelmed is the wrong term to use because it is an awesome device. I just don't know if it's worth switching over. The screen is really killer and the speed of updates is a compelling reason to consider switching.

I will have to ponder it a bit more. I was hoping to be blown away when i played with it, but I just came away with "Yup, that's another top tier device."

Vilos Cohaagen
Jul 25, 2007
THINK? I DON'T GIVE YOU ENOUGH INFORMATION TO THINK!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They were on a 2 day shipping delay when I went to the Verizon store at my local BJs, at least for the 16GB Black 4S.

Thanks, I'm planning getting the same phone. I suppose there's no advantage online vs store. After 15 months of a BBerry Tour with a broken trackball I guess I can go another week.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Got mine when they opened this morning, there were 3 other people there. Hoooollyyy poo poo its so fast coming from an OG Droid. Apps download in seconds, I can download and install 10 apps at once (Droid would freeze up completely when installing even 1). Got an accessory bundle with car charger, case, screen protectors, bluetooth headset, and a card reader. Cant wait to get off work and screw with it some more.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Is there a chance stores in bigger markets like NY and the Bay Area sell out?

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bull3964 posted:

My verizon store was dead.

For some reason the Galaxy Nexus they had on display didn't have any data which was annoying.

Impressions are that it has a very nice display and I think I could live with the hardware refinement level. However, the launcher on my Razr was actually more smooth than the Galaxy Nexus that was on display (and this was after a fresh reboot and it doesn't look like they installed anything on it.)

Underwhelmed is the wrong term to use because it is an awesome device. I just don't know if it's worth switching over. The screen is really killer and the speed of updates is a compelling reason to consider switching.

I will have to ponder it a bit more. I was hoping to be blown away when i played with it, but I just came away with "Yup, that's another top tier device."

Switching from a RAZR for the full $650 is a tough choice. Do you know how much you could get for the RAZR? If the GNex will only be $100-150, I probably would. Any more expensive than that and I don't know.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Happy enough with my purchase still (nexus).

Our corp store still has loads. Theres been nobody even asking about it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ciabatta posted:

Switching from a RAZR for the full $650 is a tough choice. Do you know how much you could get for the RAZR? If the GNex will only be $100-150, I probably would. Any more expensive than that and I don't know.

Looks like I could get around $400 for it.

I still don't know though. ICS is awesome and so is the screen, but the rest of the phone really isn't really living up to the hype.

My OG Droid was metal and felt indestructible, my Razr is metal and feels even more indestructible, the Galaxy Nexus on display couldn't even keep the battery cover on the back with the security device attached to it (it would pull off every time you picked up the phone.) I've heard other people mention how easily the housing is damaged as well.

At this point, I'm going to have to wait on reviews I think to get a better feel for if the phone has any more strengths (battery life, signal) to sweeten the pot a bit. Either that or I'll wait until ICS comes to the Razr and then decide whether or not I want to switch phones.

If I was up for contract renewal today, I would get it no question asked. But having lived with the Razr for the past few weeks and knowing how solid it is, I don't think ICS is going to be enough to get me to switch.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

bull3964 posted:

I still don't know though. ICS is awesome and so is the screen, but the rest of the phone really isn't really living up to the hype.

Those two things are the hype, really, that and guaranteed updates. I certainly like motorola build quality better, coming from a Droid X, but the lack of the "Hewn from a solid block" feel on the Nexus isn't bad enough to make me dislike it when weighed against the benefits.

They were certainly having issues with the security thing in my store too though, haha.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Gwaihir posted:

Those two things are the hype, really, that and guaranteed updates. I certainly like motorola build quality better, coming from a Droid X, but the lack of the "Hewn from a solid block" feel on the Nexus isn't bad enough to make me dislike it when weighed against the benefits.

They were certainly having issues with the security thing in my store too though, haha.

Yeah, like I said, if I was upgrading today I would go for it. I'm just not convinced enough to sell my razr and buy one fresh, taking a $250 hit in the process.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gwaihir posted:

Same thing in my store actually. I'm guessing there's no super solid clip holding the back of the case on. Although, once I snapped the back on firmly, the display unit didn't break apart again. I think the security cable pulled with a lot of force and the reps weren't very careful about snapping it back together.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Gwaihir posted:

Its a samsung thing. I have an SGS II and to be honest ive never had any issues with build quality. It "feels" cheapy just like my nexus, but its solid enough i think. Moto just over engineers the poo poo out of phones.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I hate the people whose store let them upgrade a month early. I hate them so loving much.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Picked one up and am digging it so far. The sales agent was super chipper until I turned down both a case and a screen protectors. Then she was a robot that just wanted me gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

highme posted:

Picked one up and am digging it so far. The sales agent was super chipper until I turned down both a case and a screen protectors. Then she was a robot that just wanted me gone.

Mine gave me a little attitude for getting my line/new phone in July and using an upgrade already. "Oh, looks like you...just got a new phone." Really? You don't want me to give you $300 and re-up a line for 2 years? Also seemed really annoyed when I originally was going to pay full retail, but I wasn't sure if they make really low commission when there's no plan change.

• Locked thread