Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

highme posted:

Picked one up and am digging it so far. The sales agent was super chipper until I turned down both a case and a screen protectors. Then she was a robot that just wanted me gone.

My fiancee went in about two or three weeks after the D3 was released to use her upgrade, they didn't have one but the sales girl was more than happy to try and sell her a ton of accessories for a phone they didn't even have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

highme posted:

Picked one up and am digging it so far. The sales agent was super chipper until I turned down both a case and a screen protectors. Then she was a robot that just wanted me gone.

I took the screen protector just because he offered to put it on. The difference is almost unnoticeable, so hey.

I turned down the cases; the phone is kinda slippery, but if I end up needing a case I'm sure I can get one cheaper than at Verizon.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Gwaihir posted:

They were certainly having issues with the security thing in my store too though, haha.

Its been a frigging nightmare. The back cover is so flimsy the drat thing goes off by just brushing against it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

highme posted:

Mine was pleasant, if clueless. I got a bit worried when she tried to sign me up for an individual plan because "your wife's phone won't arrive until Saturday and I can't start a family plan without a second line."

I don't know why but the face unlock feature is really nice.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Mighty Horse posted:

Its been a frigging nightmare. The back cover is so flimsy the drat thing goes off by just brushing against it.

Thats weird, the one in my store was totally firm and mine doesnt have any issues.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It was funny, the store said they had had the phones for two weeks, and the accessories before that, but had absolutely no idea when they were going to start selling them. They were surprised how many people were interested in it, and not all of the people there looking for it were the typical nexus nerd crew. There were at least three or four 60+ looking folks swapping to nexuses from iPhones. Was a bit surprising to see, considering the total lack of advertising.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I may just buy one to to compare with my Razr outside the store. If I decide it's not worth the effort before 14 days are up I can just return it and eat the $35 restocking fee.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mighty Horse posted:

How have sales been? In the 45 minutes I was at my store, I saw 4 or 5 other people getting one, and I left just as the lunch time crowd seemed to be coming in. I guess maybe RAZR advertising vs. Nexus hype is a wash since the ads are so bad?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Vilos Cohaagen posted:

Not sure if this belongs here or in the iPhone thread, but can anyone tell me if the 4s on Verizon is available at most retailers for purchase the day of an upgrade or are they still on backorder? Trying to decide if I should do my upgrade online and wait for shipment or visit a store.

Its hit or miss really, I live in an area where the iPhone is "popular" (college town) so when I was shopping for mine I called around places and found what I wanted at a Best Buy about 40 minutes south of me. Calling around might be your best bet.

I was in a Verizon store earlier and was able to mess with a demo Nexus its a sharp phone! Screen looks incredible, ICS is snappy and looks and feels fantastic, the phone itself is huge yet still feels good in the hand, and the curved screen is something that I could appreciate. I was on the fence between getting a Nexus and an iPhone 4S when I came due for an upgrade a few weeks back and settled on the the iPhone because I am closely tied into the Apple ecosystem (already own an iPad and Mac Laptop) but if I were to get an Android device the Nexus would be the one I would get!

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

KoB posted:

Thats weird, the one in my store was totally firm and mine doesnt have any issues.

Depends on the sensor used. If you have the single piece sensors, it wont go off, but then it makes the phone easy to steal. If you have the 2 piece ones, its super touchy.

I lined the inside of the battery cover with double sided tape, and that seems to have helped.

Ciabatta posted:

How have sales been? In the 45 minutes I was at my store, I saw 4 or 5 other people getting one, and I left just as the lunch time crowd seemed to be coming in. I guess maybe RAZR advertising vs. Nexus hype is a wash since the ads are so bad?

Decent. Lots of phone calls. We did have a waiting list. Inventory not going to be an issue with this one, for sure, though.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

One caveat if you're on a capped data plan - don't let Android Market restore your stuff, at least not unless you're on wifi. According to the data monitor, it went through 300MB downloading everything, and I don't really even have a whole lot of apps.

I'm on unlimited, so it didn't matter to me, but it would kind of suck to lose 10% of your quota right before you even take the phone out of the store.

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
Upgraded my Dare to a Nexus today. The Verizon reps were like :aaa: when I told them what I currently had. They were even more :aaa: when I said no to a screen protector and case.

Is it pretty much accepted that the Nexus has a solid screen that doesn't need the screen protector?

Hex Darkstar
May 28, 2004

I think I need another liver transplant.

maverick99 posted:

Is it pretty much accepted that the Nexus has a solid screen that doesn't need the screen protector?

The "key test" I saw left no scratches. It is pretty resilient but i'm not sure how it will fare against a fall or drop without a case to cushion the blow.

My Nexus should be arriving tomorrow I can't wait!

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyLC61JxsJQ Link for reference.

Hex Darkstar fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 15, 2011

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

maverick99 posted:

Upgraded my Dare to a Nexus today. The Verizon reps were like :aaa: when I told them what I currently had. They were even more :aaa: when I said no to a screen protector and case.

One granule of sand or salt and the display is done for.

I put a Steinheil flex on my GSM version after getting a few light scratches on the non-viewable part of the screen (whew). I keep it in my jeans pocket and I suspect lint scratched it.

The material, plastic, glass, whatever it is they used for the display is very soft and is not gorilla glass.

It will scratch. Only a matter of time. I think a protector is critical for this device.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I've been very, very happy with the Otterbox Defender that I purchased with the phone.

How do you guys carry this thing? I'm conflicted between the belt clip and just shoving it in my pocket.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't know why but the face unlock feature is really nice.

In the product unveiling I remember Rubin (or whichever Google guy was up on stage) talking about how the people who were implementing this were asked to slow down the recognition process a bit because it was working so fast the higher-ups didn't think people would believe it was working.

Is it instantaneous? Do I have to hold it close to my face?

More importantly, I don't have to use it, do I?

Scheduled to arrive before 3pm tomorrow...good thing I have a light weekend to completely nerd the gently caress out with it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hotsauce posted:

I put a Steinheil flex on my GSM version after getting a few light scratches on the non-viewable part of the screen (whew). I keep it in my jeans pocket and I suspect lint scratched it.

The material, plastic, glass, whatever it is they used for the display is very soft and is not gorilla glass.

It will scratch. Only a matter of time. I think a protector is critical for this device.

You seriously aren't doing me any favors when it comes to convincing myself that I want the Galaxy Nexus over a Razr.

I'd sooner go back to my OG Droid than sully a device with a screen protector.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I'm an ATT customer and have an imported GSM GNEX. I want an Otterbox case from Verizon.

My work offers a 25% on Verizon accessories (and service, which I don't have). ATT as well.

Can I walk into a Verizon store with my company ID and get the 25% discount? Or will they give me some snotty line about not being a Verizon customer thus not eligible for the accessory discount?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

hotsauce posted:

I'm an ATT customer and have an imported GSM GNEX. I want an Otterbox case from Verizon.

My work offers a 25% on Verizon accessories (and service, which I don't have). ATT as well.

Can I walk into a Verizon store with my company ID and get the 25% discount? Or will they give me some snotty line about not being a Verizon customer thus not eligible for the accessory discount?

The discount is attached to your account i believe. So you may not be able to get it.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
The Verizon version is thicker by a smidge as well, so a case might not completely fit.

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
Dammit, after hearing some of you guys, I think I might have to get a screen protector. How are the ones at the Verizon store?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Mark Larson posted:

The Verizon version is thicker by a smidge as well, so a case might not completely fit.

I've tried several "made for Verizon GNEX" cases on my GSM version and all fit like a glove, so I personally haven't seen the issue here.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

maverick99 posted:

Dammit, after hearing some of you guys, I think I might have to get a screen protector. How are the ones at the Verizon store?

I bought a pack with the phone at the Verizon store and it's the least offensive screen protector I've ever seen. I hate the InvisibleShield and how gooey it feels. This one feels smooth and easy to use.

May 1, 2008

ಠ_ಠ

E2M2 posted:

Is there a chance stores in bigger markets like NY and the Bay Area sell out?

Apparently the store i bought mine at sold out by mid day. There was a non stop line for at least two and change hours outside the store and all the extended batteries sold out.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!
I've been using my razr with no case or screen protector for over a week with absolutely no visible damage. I use it in a warehouse environment. It rides with me on a forklift and sits on a filthy metal desk.

I was going to cash in this razr for a nexus but if the nexus is as delicate as the usual Samsung fare ill stick with the razr.

My last phone was an incredible1 which endured much punishment. Before that I had a samsung instinctive through sprint which was a total pile of poo poo.

I can't say I love the software on the razr but its on par with my incredible and miles beyond the build quality of anything I've ever seen from Samsung.

I think ill wait for my ICS update and keep this razr.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Whelp, game on Verizon.

Store refused to sell me one at full retail. That's just going to inspire me to pull out all the stops to get one as cheaply as possible by playing line shenanigans.

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

I bought a pack with the phone at the Verizon store and it's the least offensive screen protector I've ever seen. I hate the InvisibleShield and how gooey it feels. This one feels smooth and easy to use.

Thanks for the heads up. I just got my 3-pack and I completely agree with you! :)

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Wait, what? Like, they didn't want your money? What was the reason for them refusing your money?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

bull3964 posted:

Whelp, game on Verizon.

Store refused to sell me one at full retail. That's just going to inspire me to pull out all the stops to get one as cheaply as possible by playing line shenanigans.

Was it a corporate store or a 3rd party? I'd expect that at a 3rd party retailer, but I've seen a few posts on the other forums that people were going to corporate store and being shot down.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Is it worth my time to go and beg at my local store for an early upgrade to get the phone over waiting till the 28th (my upgrade date) for the $175 Gnex from LetsTalk? Can the store even pull my upgrade date forward? The phone people have all said it was impossible for this phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

JayKay posted:

Was it a corporate store or a 3rd party? I'd expect that at a 3rd party retailer, but I've seen a few posts on the other forums that people were going to corporate store and being shot down.

It was a corporate store.

Codiusprime posted:

Wait, what? Like, they didn't want your money? What was the reason for them refusing your money?

"The manager has said we are only selling them as upgrades."

They would be happy as punch to shift me to a family plan and do an alt upgrade on the line, giving me the Nexus for $299. But, over the course of the contract plus activation fee it would be break even with buying it retail so that's not worth the entanglement right now for a dummy line.

My parents are both on prepaid though with Verizon so I'm going to see what their outlay a month is for their phones. If I can bring them on with my plan, I'll just harvest their upgrades as alt upgrades (they love their current dumbphones.)

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 16, 2011

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Stole my mother's family plan upgrade to get my Nexus.

Here's my local store, with the Nexus buried between the Pantech Breakout and Samsung Stratosphere. No promotional materials whatsoever.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Ironically, I've seen 3 verizon commercials in the last half hour, two featuring the nexus and one the rezound.

Yo Eleven
Aug 5, 2010

Aatrek posted:

Stole my mother's family plan upgrade to get my Nexus.

Here's my local store, with the Nexus buried between the Pantech Breakout and Samsung Stratosphere. No promotional materials whatsoever.

Beats my store. No promotional materials, no signs, no display phone. When I arrived to get mine, the employee had to go get it from the office.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
:dance: Just unlocked the bootloader, bring on root! I need my wireless tether! :dance:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Played with one for a bit today in the store and really like the feel of it, display is bright, colors good, love the resolution. ICS as a whole looks completely revamped, the task manager looks awesome and came in handy, although the display model was slow as molasses and was running advanced task manager...?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Aatrek posted:

:dance: Just unlocked the bootloader, bring on root! I need my wireless tether! :dance:

There aren't any working Wireless Tether apps at the moment for the Galaxy Nexus but Koush is apparently working on one.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Ciabatta posted:

Mine gave me a little attitude for getting my line/new phone in July and using an upgrade already. "Oh, looks like you...just got a new phone." Really? You don't want me to give you $300 and re-up a line for 2 years? Also seemed really annoyed when I originally was going to pay full retail, but I wasn't sure if they make really low commission when there's no plan change.

If things are still the same when I worked there a few years ago, sales reps don't get any commission on the phones themselves. And full retail phones kill accessory ratio, so the rep loses. That may have changed.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Awesome, I just checked my account. Not only was my billing address changed to somewhere in NY (I'm in VA), my contract end date got pushed to 4/2013 when I was told it wasn't going to change from 12/2012. WTF?

Edit: Ok now I'm really confused. My "upgrade" date on the website is still showing 12/12/12 which it was before I purchased the Nexus. However the receipt that was printed out shows my contract end date as 4/2013.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

hotsauce posted:

What a load of poo poo. My Droid Incredible doesn't have a scratch on it after 20 months. I'm not remotely careful with it anymore, either. I'm not the only one here with a similar story.

• Locked thread