Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Mercrom posted:

That does not seem like loving autism.

That's not really what asperger's is about, it's more of a social thing. See my stupid argument above on the previous page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

My doctor agreed that adderall (20mg er and 10mg ir) might be good for me to try. It definitely gives me the push in motivation and the clear thinking required to get poo poo done. However I feel this is just step one.

How do you guys manage work vs personal responsibilities? I was thinking about finding a good todo list or task manager app for my phone, and start getting in the habit of planning my next day on it. I would love to hear some tips as to how to start making good habits now that I have the drive to get a lot of the hard work done to get my life organized.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Rule number one there is never ever assume that you will remember to do it later. Do it now.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Find a small book that fits in your pocket. Every time you have to do something write it down. Carry that book with you everywhere.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

My life has significantly improved since I discovered my phone's schedule/reminder feature.

Now if I have to do something on a certain day I just set a reminder.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

cr0y posted:

My doctor agreed that adderall (20mg er and 10mg ir) might be good for me to try. It definitely gives me the push in motivation and the clear thinking required to get poo poo done. However I feel this is just step one.

How do you guys manage work vs personal responsibilities? I was thinking about finding a good todo list or task manager app for my phone, and start getting in the habit of planning my next day on it. I would love to hear some tips as to how to start making good habits now that I have the drive to get a lot of the hard work done to get my life organized.

A smartphone is invaluable to me. I use Google Calendar to set events that email me reminders when they happen, so any time I need to remember to do something at a certain time I set something on my calendar. I use Gmail to email myself reminders of anything else I need to do.

If you really want to go all in, you might like to read Getting Things Done by David Allen. He proposes a sort of lofty goal to achieve, but I've been aiming for it for a few weeks now and it has been massively helpful.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

cr0y posted:

I was thinking about finding a good todo list or task manager app for my phone, and start getting in the habit of planning my next day on it.

I have an Android phone and use an app called Agenda Widget. It's great because it syncs with Google Calendar and you can set it up to place a giant to-do list with dates and times smack dab in the middle of the phone's home screen. So every time you turn on your phone, *BAM*. There's your to-do list staring you in the face.

signalnoise posted:

Rule number one there is never ever assume that you will remember to do it later. Do it now.

This. 100% this. Especially do whatever it is you need to do while your dose of meds is working if you can.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Thanks for the advice everyone. I had a question that I posted in TCC but I figured I'd ask here as well. What is everyones opinion on adderall XR? I took one and it seemed like it was sort of sporadic where as the IR seems to be a lot more predictable. Was wondering if people have had better success with taking smaller IR doses a couple times a day compared to an XR once.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Does anyone feel like they need to take a poo poo shortly after taking vyvanse, most of the time? And how dangerous it is to run at a full sprint while on stimulants ? I'm guessing it would be bad if you were fat and unconditioned, and not as bad if you are just skinny and unconditioned.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Protip: Your phone can't remind you to do something when it's off.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

There's this great doc on PBS right now on ADD. If there's a link to be found, I'll see if I can post it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Definitely can relate to a lot of people on here, and it's a refreshing take. I'm growing further apart from a lot of friends I have in my life, mostly because I've started working fulltime and moved back in with my parents, both starting in August to get my financial situation back in order. Since then, I've paid off $100 to the $5k debt I have. This is currently the longest job I've held since the Dell-tech job I had left earlier this year after 3 years there. Voluntarily quit 3 other jobs this year because I thought they were boring.

I've brought a lot of distress to my parents and often feel like I am a burden to them because my money disappears into stupid poo poo and I don't throw anything their way for their generosity. I just bought an iPhone last night (I will be returning it) despite owing my mom the last 6 months for the bill. I love my parents and I feel like I should be in much better shape at 23 than I am right now (some professional experience, no education after high school), but I can't seem to stick with something for a while because I think it's hard or unrewarding and no matter how many times I tell myself "you have to work to live" I waste my money on some dumb thing and barely scrape by the next month.

I was diagnosed for depression almost 2 years ago, as it runs in the family. During that time it helped me not want to stay in my room all day, but stopped after 6 months of that and started eating better and exercising. I do still get depressed but I find it manageable. The one thing I do have trouble with is keeping myself focused on what I need to do to better myself and those around me, I feel like such a burden to everyone. Any insight is appreciated.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Socket Ryanist posted:

Protip: Your phone can't remind you to do something when it's off.

Very true. cr0y, you should also get an app called "Astrid Tasks". It reminds you that you have a task coming up. You can tell it how far in advance to remind you. And when it does remind you about a task, it will not stop until you acknowledge it.

Basically, it annoys the crap out of you until you acknowledge the alarm. Astrid Tasks HAS to have been written by a programmer with ADHD

Kneel Before Zog posted:

And how dangerous it is to run at a full sprint while on stimulants ? I'm guessing it would be bad if you were fat and unconditioned, and not as bad if you are just skinny and unconditioned.

Now keep in mind I'm not a doctor, just a Goon From The Internet. That said, I regularly go on hard bike rides at lunch time when my medication is in full force (Adderall). I've never experienced any kind of issues or any weird effects.

Even when sprinting on the bike as fast as I can go in the middle of a hot, 95-degree July day. From what I understand, stimulants can raise your heart beat but that's about it. So I guess stay hydrated or something and you should be good.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Dolemite posted:

Very true. cr0y, you should also get an app called "Astrid Tasks". It reminds you that you have a task coming up. You can tell it how far in advance to remind you. And when it does remind you about a task, it will not stop until you acknowledge it.

Basically, it annoys the crap out of you until you acknowledge the alarm. Astrid Tasks HAS to have been written by a programmer with ADHD

I use this and it basically makes it so the only thing you have to remember is to actually do things when you tell yourself to do them.

SLUDS
Feb 23, 2011

Dolemite posted:

I would have bought this except for the little mascot guy taking up screen space. It works with Agenda Widget so I've got the free version off my main screen for now. My smartphone has really paid for itself just with Google calendar and a few widgets for it.

So much better than a giant pile of notes telling me to do things.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

SLUDS posted:

I would have bought this except for the little mascot guy taking up screen space. It works with Agenda Widget so I've got the free version off my main screen for now. My smartphone has really paid for itself just with Google calendar and a few widgets for it.

So much better than a giant pile of notes telling me to do things.

I set mine up so there isn't a little mascot guy except when it tells me a task is overdue

I'd take a picture of the screen but my phone is my camera

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Screen grabber is a great app for screenshots.

SLUDS
Feb 23, 2011

signalnoise posted:

I set mine up so there isn't a little mascot guy except when it tells me a task is overdue

Including the title bar? I don't know why it bugs me so much but it does.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

SLUDS posted:

Including the title bar? I don't know why it bugs me so much but it does.

Just clear the alert, man.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
So I'm having a bit of a dilemma. I am seeing a psychiatrist for what was thought to be depression, which I've had for about 8 years now. Medication for that hasn't ever really done much for me. Prozac and Wellbutrin make it so I'm not suicidal, but my mood doesn't improve. I had a reaction to Cymbalta so I don't think I can use that as an example.

My psychiatrist is thinking that I might have undiagnosed ADD instead. I've done a bunch of research on depression, but I don't really know anything about ADD. Does anybody have some good resources for me to turn to? My psych has me fairly convinced, but I am still a bit skeptical about it.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

GenericOverusedName posted:

So I'm having a bit of a dilemma. I am seeing a psychiatrist for what was thought to be depression, which I've had for about 8 years now. Medication for that hasn't ever really done much for me. Prozac and Wellbutrin make it so I'm not suicidal, but my mood doesn't improve. I had a reaction to Cymbalta so I don't think I can use that as an example.

My psychiatrist is thinking that I might have undiagnosed ADD instead. I've done a bunch of research on depression, but I don't really know anything about ADD. Does anybody have some good resources for me to turn to? My psych has me fairly convinced, but I am still a bit skeptical about it.

In my personal opinion ADD can lead to a lot of depressive states. Never being able to get your poo poo done and not focusing on what is important can wreak havoc on your mental state. It's possible that ADD is the underlying disorder and depression is a result of that ADD.

(i am not a doctor)

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Yeah, that's pretty much what she said. And if I had full-blown "real" depression, then I would be failing all of my classes instead of just most of them, I guess?

SLUDS
Feb 23, 2011

signalnoise posted:

Just clear the alert, man.

I actually meant the logo on the title bar of the widget. But now I don't need it on my main screen anyway since it works with agenda widget so it's a moot point I guess.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Depression has a high comorbidity with depression. Often ADHD will create depression. I've personally solved depression by solving the ADHD.

There isn't anything to be skeptical about. If your shrink thinks you have ADD, then get tested. If you don't have it, at least that will be eliminated from the pool of things that could be depressing you for 8 years. Its not a dilemma, its just you being in denial.

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Does anyone feel like they need to take a poo poo shortly after taking vyvanse, most of the time? And how dangerous it is to run at a full sprint while on stimulants ? I'm guessing it would be bad if you were fat and unconditioned, and not as bad if you are just skinny and unconditioned.

You could be as healthy as an ox, but if you have a congenital heart problem sprinting could kill you. So, go see a cardiologist and run on their stupid treadmill if you think there could be an issue. (i.e. family history). I started riding my bike this summer as a fat unconditioned guy on stimulants. Just made me think clearer, and I don't need the stimulants when I exercise regularly. (Also I score higher on tests if I read/study while on the treadmill vs. reading at a desk). I highly recommend exercise for anyone with ADHD.

TheBigBad fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 14, 2011

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

TheBigBad posted:

Depression has a high comorbidity with depression. Often ADHD will create depression. I've personally solved depression by solving the ADHD.

There isn't anything to be skeptical about. If your shrink thinks you have ADD, then get tested. If you don't have it, at least that will be eliminated from the pool of things that could be depressing you for 8 years. Its not a dilemma, its just you being in denial.

I have the exact same thing happen to me. In my case, for 10 years or so, my depression and ADHD would be mildly treated by Wellbutrin. When I got off of that, my doc and I decided to treat the ADHD as the first symptom, and watch for depression. Welp, with both the ADHD treated and taking supplemental Vitamin D via pill, exercise, and a full spectrum lamp, my depression is nearly gone.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Qu Appelle posted:

I have the exact same thing happen to me. In my case, for 10 years or so, my depression and ADHD would be mildly treated by Wellbutrin. When I got off of that, my doc and I decided to treat the ADHD as the first symptom, and watch for depression. Welp, with both the ADHD treated and taking supplemental Vitamin D via pill, exercise, and a full spectrum lamp, my depression is nearly gone.

Same, though I've fallen off the work out wagon because I have some portfolios to scrap together and junk food is just so much easier to munch on...

The one thing I would warn you about though is if you do go in for an ADHD assessment GenericOverusedName, don't reject the medications because they're stimulants, and don't let anyone accuse you of being an addict because you need them. As long as you don't abuse your medication you will not have many, if any, problems.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Yeah, that's pretty much what she said. And if I had full-blown "real" depression, then I would be failing all of my classes instead of just most of them, I guess?

It's not that simple.

I wish I had some kind of helpful advice, but it's possible to be depressed but still good at certain things. (Which is fortunate, because otherwise I would be living in my parents' basement.)

miserable lil onion
Oct 15, 2008
Hello everyone, I've been popping in and out of this thread for a while now. I've been wondering if I have ADD for years, but there have been a lot of people around me with the whole "there's no such thing as ADD :smuggo:" mindset so I've never tried to do anything about it. I mean, I can function all right. I do good in school, I hold down a job. I just can't focus on anything you're saying for more than 30 seconds. Or finish a book. Or complete one of the fifty billion creative projects I get so freakin' excited about and then lose interest in.

But now I'm about to quit my job and pursue one of my lifelong dreams that involves working at home. I need to focus. If my brain is indeed fixable, it's time to get it taken care of.

I could use a little reassurance from you guys. I screwed up my courage to call a child psych--the nice lady said he only treats children and that most shrinks in the area aren't seeing new patients, but she did give me one recommendation. I called and got the receptionist/office admin/whatever; she said the doctor himself decides whether to see a new patient and wanted my symptoms. I felt very put-on-the-spot (I had planned to type up everything I was concerned about and go over it, line by line, with a doctor, since I don't think well on my feet). She grilled me about past problems including my depression and self-harming, which was awkward as hell. She then promised to call me back, but rang while I was driving and by the time I got home the office had closed. I'm worried she called to turn me down because I didn't list off enough symptoms, and what if I can't find another doctor in my area?

Gah! Anxiety! I just want to try these magical wonder drugs that everyone here keeps talking about. If I respond the same way to them it would have a hugely positive affect on my life. I'm so scared that working at home will turn into napping and watching TV all day at home. I HAVE to focus on my work. This could be one of the biggest turning points in my life, or it could be a complete disaster.

Also, can someone explain the BIKES! thing to me? I purchased that Delivered from Distraction ebook today and skimmed through it a little and it also brings up bikes. I don't understand! I did, however, take up jogging last year. I went from being able to run for about a minute at a time to doing my first 5K. I LOVE running, it is completely exhilarating to me, and when I stop I feel so good and charged up. Is that what the bikes thing is?

miserable lil onion fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 15, 2011

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

miserable lil onion posted:

I LOVE running, it is completely exhilarating to me, and when I stop I feel so good and charged up. Is that what the bikes thing is?

Yep!

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Hello everyone, I've been popping in and out of this thread for a while now. I've been wondering if I have ADD for years, but there have been a lot of people around me with the whole "there's no such thing as ADD :smuggo:" mindset so I've never tried to do anything about it. I mean, I can function all right. I do good in school, I hold down a job. I just can't focus on anything you're saying for more than 30 seconds. Or finish a book. Or complete one of the fifty billion creative projects I get so freakin' excited about and then lose interest in.

But now I'm about to quit my job and pursue one of my lifelong dreams that involves working at home. I need to focus. If my brain is indeed fixable, it's time to get it taken care of.

I could use a little reassurance from you guys. I screwed up my courage to call a child psych--the nice lady said he only treats children and that most shrinks in the area aren't seeing new patients, but she did give me one recommendation. I called and got the receptionist/office admin/whatever; she said the doctor himself decides whether to see a new patient and wanted my symptoms. I felt very put-on-the-spot (I had planned to type up everything I was concerned about and go over it, line by line, with a doctor, since I don't think well on my feet). She grilled me about past problems including my depression and self-harming, which was awkward as hell. She then promised to call me back, but rang while I was driving and by the time I got home the office had closed. I'm worried she called to turn me down because I didn't list off enough symptoms, and what if I can't find another doctor in my area?

Gah! Anxiety! I just want to try these magical wonder drugs that everyone here keeps talking about. If I respond the same way to them it would have a hugely positive affect on my life. I'm so scared that working at home will turn into napping and watching TV all day at home. I HAVE to focus on my work. This could be one of the biggest turning points in my life, or it could be a complete disaster.

Also, can someone explain the BIKES! thing to me? I purchased that Delivered from Distraction ebook today and skimmed through it a little and it also brings up bikes. I don't understand! I did, however, take up jogging last year. I went from being able to run for about a minute at a time to doing my first 5K. I LOVE running, it is completely exhilarating to me, and when I stop I feel so good and charged up. Is that what the bikes thing is?

BIKES! is just simply exercise. With a bicycle you get to move at a speed and see things that keep your mind from being terminally bored (and therefore disinclined to exercise) and you get exercise which is chocked full of endorphins which stimulate the frontal lobe which is deactivated when you have adhd. So if you can run a 5k, you're pretty much doing the BIKES! you just can't go FAST! Going fast is fun. The kind of fun you describe when you run.

Check your messages. :) If you can't find another doctor, then be persistent, and (challengingly) consistent. Honestly if you waste enough of their time seeking their help, they will take you on just to make money. (Sorry I'm a business major). I have to believe that there's help for everyone if they seek it, else I might entertain thoughts of dismantling the Republican Party, 1 person at a time.

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Yeah I've noticed that. Though magnesium messes with that so much it's hard to tell them apart.
And then either vitamin B6 or the B complex I started makes my piss neon green/yellow.

I think exercising on stims is generally okay if your taking a dose your used to and keep an eye on your heart rate. Major studies have recently found long term stim use in ADHD people isn't very dangerous too

I wonder how athletes in highschool through professional sports are treated who get stims for ADHD? I remember reading MLB players suddenly started getting diagnosed when amphetamine was banned from use unless for medical reasons

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Have you tried asking your GP? Been a while since I've been drug shopping, but unless things have changed drastically (which they may have) you should be able to explain your symptoms and your concerns, and hopes, and get at least a trial run on something. There are a lot of formulations that while scheduled, aren't that abusable, so the doc shouldn't be terribly gunshy about them.

I think.

miserable lil onion
Oct 15, 2008

Slo-Tek posted:

Have you tried asking your GP? Been a while since I've been drug shopping, but unless things have changed drastically (which they may have) you should be able to explain your symptoms and your concerns, and hopes, and get at least a trial run on something. There are a lot of formulations that while scheduled, aren't that abusable, so the doc shouldn't be terribly gunshy about them.

I think.

Thanks for the reply, but turns out I'd worked myself up into a frenzy for nothing. They just called me and set up an appointment for tomorrow morning. Hurray!

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Thanks for the reply, but turns out I'd worked myself up into a frenzy for nothing. They just called me and set up an appointment for tomorrow morning. Hurray!

I've been where you've been. When my last psych passed away, I had to find a new one and every psych I was calling would reject me with the claim that they only take on children. Glad you finally found someone. :)

Regarding the BIKES thing, yeah, it's worth the hype! Like others have mentioned, expending the same energy as running on a bicycle lets you haul rear end! For me, the equivalent of jogging lets me cruise on my road bike at like a little over 15 mph. The equivalent of sprinting my heart out on foot lets me hit 30+ mph on the bike.

For ADDers, those kind of speeds and sensations push every button of ours. Before I ran out of money to do it, I used to go car racing. Once I learned how to ride a bike, I realized that cycling is the closest feeling to going fast in a car you can get without dropping the cash to go car racing.

Like running, you do get that 30 minutes to an hour of mental clarity before the storm of a thousand thoughts comes rolling back in.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I used to do inline skating and I'd find the biggest hills I could to skate down. At some point I was drat near keeping up with traffic. Then I grew up and the thought of doing that terrifies me. But yeah that feeling of speed is incredible and it took all my concentration not to fall and die.

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
There's a lot of things I /love/ being over stimulated by, but for some reason when I'm doing aerobic exercise I just want to be on a machine staring at a blank wall. I think it's cuz I don't want to multitask, both pedaling hard and looking around dodging cars and crossing streets

Captain_Red
Mar 2, 2007
I'm a Captain
:sun:Hey strangers on the internet!:sun:

Thanks to this thread I finally managed to drag my dumb rear end through the harrowing process of getting it treated after a mere ten years of thinking that, as an unemployed Graphic Designer/multimedia/IT drop out, I was a better judge of the human brain then doctors with degrees and careers and experience and all that meaningless poo poo. :downs::hf::bang:

Three days ago I got stuck into my first dose of Ritalin. I immediately decided it wasn't working and that I may as well clean the holy loving hell out my room while I waited for my heart to explode from the inevitable side effects that I had heard mentioned on the news about four terrible star wars movies ago. I mean really, if I have to die from some bullshit mental illness I may as well die in a clean room. With a made bed. and all the laundry done. and I really need to hang that picture up, and give the bathroom a once over and HOLY poo poo I NOW I KNOW WHAT IT IS TO BE HUMAN
Que shameless weeping, telling all my friends I wuv them, embarrassing Facebook updates ect :f5h::haw::fh:

OK, now that the 'yay the world' silliness has dulled some, I have some genuine questions about the nature if this aliment and the magical pills I've been popping seeing as for some reason it took an internet forum I mostly lurk on to get me the help I needed rather then say, a loving family, teachers, trained professionals and even my own babbling inner monolog to get me help.

:ohdear:Questions

Firstly: I was informed I could control the dose. I was advised to take 15mgs twice a day. So far I've stuck with about half of that. I only took today's dose to make this post. When I woke up this morning I just had some chi-tea and was basically as functional as I was when I first took the meds two days ago. I have an idea to only bust out the Ritalin if I have to eat some serious work.

Is that the logic of a moron? I not working a lot of hours right now so all it's really useful for is chores and internet rants, and while it's in my system it makes me more prone to stitches if I want to work out. I am staggeringly grateful that I have these pills and I most certainly understand there value, but am afraid that if I don't stick with the dose as advised I won't be able to get it again if I start uni/new job/mind draining horror task.

Secondly: I, unsurprisingly, am really into video games and not ready to give them up completely just yet dispute them being potentially toxic to our kind as I do genuinely love them as an art form. *That said* I am eager not to waste these "yay I fixed myself" vibes and have been nervously eyeing my steam account and the box of little white pills on my desk... see I have a bit more free time then I should right now and don't have many systems in place for steering myself just yet. I'm worried that if I dive it to that stuff I won't come back up. Any gamers want to offer some incite?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Captain_Red posted:

:sun:Hey strangers on the internet!:sun:

Thanks to this thread I finally managed to drag my dumb rear end through the harrowing process of getting it treated after a mere ten years of thinking that, as an unemployed Graphic Designer/multimedia/IT drop out, I was a better judge of the human brain then doctors with degrees and careers and experience and all that meaningless poo poo. :downs::hf::bang:

Three days ago I got stuck into my first dose of Ritalin. I immediately decided it wasn't working and that I may as well clean the holy loving hell out my room while I waited for my heart to explode from the inevitable side effects that I had heard mentioned on the news about four terrible star wars movies ago. I mean really, if I have to die from some bullshit mental illness I may as well die in a clean room. With a made bed. and all the laundry done. and I really need to hang that picture up, and give the bathroom a once over and HOLY poo poo I NOW I KNOW WHAT IT IS TO BE HUMAN
Que shameless weeping, telling all my friends I wuv them, embarrassing Facebook updates ect :f5h::haw::fh:

OK, now that the 'yay the world' silliness has dulled some, I have some genuine questions about the nature if this aliment and the magical pills I've been popping seeing as for some reason it took an internet forum I mostly lurk on to get me the help I needed rather then say, a loving family, teachers, trained professionals and even my own babbling inner monolog to get me help.

:ohdear:Questions

Firstly: I was informed I could control the dose. I was advised to take 15mgs twice a day. So far I've stuck with about half of that. I only took today's dose to make this post. When I woke up this morning I just had some chi-tea and was basically as functional as I was when I first took the meds two days ago. I have an idea to only bust out the Ritalin if I have to eat some serious work.

Is that the logic of a moron? I not working a lot of hours right now so all it's really useful for is chores and internet rants, and while it's in my system it makes me more prone to stitches if I want to work out. I am staggeringly grateful that I have these pills and I most certainly understand there value, but am afraid that if I don't stick with the dose as advised I won't be able to get it again if I start uni/new job/mind draining horror task.

Secondly: I, unsurprisingly, am really into video games and not ready to give them up completely just yet dispute them being potentially toxic to our kind as I do genuinely love them as an art form. *That said* I am eager not to waste these "yay I fixed myself" vibes and have been nervously eyeing my steam account and the box of little white pills on my desk... see I have a bit more free time then I should right now and don't have many systems in place for steering myself just yet. I'm worried that if I dive it to that stuff I won't come back up. Any gamers want to offer some incite?

Reasonable questions.
1)depends. Taking your go-pills only when you need to work may mean you don't get the dosage right and over-rev, and spend a lot of time grinding your teeth, kill your appetite, and can't sleep when it would be smart to sleep. Since you aren't trying to get the best out of some limited illicit supply, I'd take them....like the doctor suggests, so you can figure out what your sideeffects are and if they are going to go away in a week or not. Right now you're in the business of making new habits. Making a habit of taking your pill every morning before you set off to work is probably a good habit for future jobs.

2)wasting your newfound gift of concentration on poo poo you already concentrate effectively on sounds like a waste. Read some books you should read but have not been able to sit still for. Read some ADD books, read some of the western canon, read some future-work or future-school stuff. As for ADD management generally, schedules are king, so don't gently caress your schedule up with bullshit wastes of time that will get away from you regardless of your chemical status. Schedule some time to play (be it computer games, or comic books, or model trains, or whatever other thing you can already hyperconcentrate on for long spans but isn't making you healthy, wealthy or wise), set an alarm, and stick to it.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 17, 2011

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Play video games all you want, just don't waste meds on them. Video games are hyper-stimulating, so they activate the frontal lobe already. If you plan on playing them (heh... impossible before now eh?) then you can lay off the ritalin during that window. You'll probably start finding them boring beyond appreciation for the art form and will want to do things that are more constructive naturally. So instead of spending all night grinding bear asses, you'll do it for 30 mins and then go ride your bike or something.

You'll find that caffeine will work to a lesser degree than the meds. It occurred to me some time ago that, that is probably why my father drank coffee non-stop after he got out of the Army. Personally I think it's important that you develop good habits while you take the meds and while you are cognitively aware of the difference between the normie world and the ADHD world. Its like driving, once you get enough experience you can do it on autopilot. Learn to clean as a habit, learn to keep a schedule as a habit. Gradually the poo poo everyone else can do naturally will develop like your driving skills.

TheBigBad fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Red
Mar 2, 2007
I'm a Captain

Slo-Tek posted:

1)depends. Taking your go-pills only when you need to work may mean you don't get the dosage right and over-rev, and spend a lot of time grinding your teeth, kill your appetite, and can't sleep when it would be smart to sleep. Since you aren't trying to get the best out of some limited illicit supply, I'd take them....like the doctor suggests, so you can figure out what your sideeffects are and if they are going to go away in a week or not. Right now you're in the business of making new habits. Making a habit of taking your pill every morning before you set off to work is probably a good habit for future jobs.
Oh man, This is a lesson I just learned the hard way. I just got my rear end handed to me by Ritalin. After taking my daily dose to write that first post, I had about three nervous hours waiting for a replay before deciding in one big clusterfuck of :pseudo: that the effects would wind down before I got to work and was just sooooo excited to use my ADD maddness to kick the poo poo out of my job that I took an extra 5mg.

HURR

I got hyper as gently caress really quickly, then marched to my bus stop in the summer heat (:australia: at Christmas time. Let me sing you endless carols about how it totally doesn't snow here!) then marched another kilometer to my retail job where I sprint from task to task, talked to customers, bagged food, cleaned everything in sight, scrubbed scrubbed scrubbed that oven all the while over explaining absolutely everything to absolutely everyone in super efficient detail at a speed that would make an auctioneer glaze over and faint... headache... lethargic... Oh poo poo :supaburn:

Thank CHRIST the store was closed. I was informed enough not to hit full panic mode, and managed to explain what the problem was and what I needed to do to fix it, though once I sorted it all I couldn't stop talking.
:tinsley:

What bothers me is I didn't technically do anything wrong. I was told I could control my meds. I didn't overdose, and actually took less then I was supposed to. I guess it's mostly just my current lifestyle that's a problem. I work casual job in retail and because I live in bizarre-o-world we get significantly LESS sales over the Christmas holidays. Consistent hours are basically impossible.

Point I'm making here is
:siren::siren::siren:STICK TO YOUR RECOMMEND DOSAGE ASSHOLES:siren::siren::siren:
unless you want to make a massive tit of yourself in front of your co-workers at their most stressed out.

Slo-Tek and TheBigBad posted:

Video games are fine, so is coffee. Do them less. Read good books and do useful things.

I have more or less gotten over the honeymoon stage with video games though still think they are cool as hell. I did in my full blown ADD mode managed to collect a pile of books I considered important for a time when I finally fingered out how I was supposed to read them.

It's strange not needing coffee suddenly isn't it?

EDIT: Ugh. Need to lay off the drat emotes. Not used to being able to express myself comfortably.

Captain_Red fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 18, 2011