Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.
I played with the Nexus at my local store (they told me almost all of the Verizon stores in the NoVA/DC area were sold out by early evening so no dice picking one up today) but I'm really, really liking this phone.

I'm going to switch over from my parents' family plan on AT&T to my own Verizon account via the Amazon wireless deal. I'm perfectly content to wait the two weeks to get my phone to save $150, but I'm worried about two things:

A) It's going to take quite a while for my phone to get shipped (Amazon estimated 2 weeks). If I elect to have my phone number ported over, am I going to lose service on my old iPhone 3G :corsair: on AT&T until I receive and activate the Nexus?

B) Does the 14 day return period start when I sign up for service or when my phone gets activated? I'm sure I'll love my new Nexus on Verizon, but I'd hate to waste my return period waiting on the phone to be shipped in case I find some kind of dealbreaker like no reception in my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Nut Bunnies posted:

What a load of poo poo. My Droid Incredible doesn't have a scratch on it after 20 months. I'm not remotely careful with it anymore, either. I'm not the only one here with a similar story.

My Dinc has been the same way until last week when it picked up a deep scratch inside my pocket that I can see at any angle/feel whenever I touch, and a few minor ones that I can see when I'm not looking at the screen at a 90* angle.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Nut Bunnies posted:

What a load of poo poo. My Droid Incredible doesn't have a scratch on it after 20 months. I'm not remotely careful with it anymore, either. I'm not the only one here with a similar story.

Droid Incredible ≠ Galaxy Nexus

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

ChadSexington posted:

I played with the Nexus at my local store (they told me almost all of the Verizon stores in the NoVA/DC area were sold out by early evening so no dice picking one up today) but I'm really, really liking this phone.

I'm going to switch over from my parents' family plan on AT&T to my own Verizon account via the Amazon wireless deal. I'm perfectly content to wait the two weeks to get my phone to save $150, but I'm worried about two things:

A) It's going to take quite a while for my phone to get shipped (Amazon estimated 2 weeks). If I elect to have my phone number ported over, am I going to lose service on my old iPhone 3G :corsair: on AT&T until I receive and activate the Nexus?

B) Does the 14 day return period start when I sign up for service or when my phone gets activated? I'm sure I'll love my new Nexus on Verizon, but I'd hate to waste my return period waiting on the phone to be shipped in case I find some kind of dealbreaker like no reception in my house.

I'm not sure about number porting, but I was sitting around playing with my Droid X (Using data, at least) right up until they actually activated the new Nexus.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

JayKay posted:

Awesome, I just checked my account. Not only was my billing address changed to somewhere in NY (I'm in VA), my contract end date got pushed to 4/2013 when I was told it wasn't going to change from 12/2012. WTF?

Edit: Ok now I'm really confused. My "upgrade" date on the website is still showing 12/12/12 which it was before I purchased the Nexus. However the receipt that was printed out shows my contract end date as 4/2013.

Contract and upgrade date are different things.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FunOne posted:

Is it worth my time to go and beg at my local store for an early upgrade to get the phone over waiting till the 28th (my upgrade date) for the $175 Gnex from LetsTalk? Can the store even pull my upgrade date forward? The phone people have all said it was impossible for this phone.

The corporate store at the mall told me to go screw when I asked them about bumping it up today, but the third party down the road was like "we can bump it up one week max".

Ask around, basically.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Don Lapre posted:

Contract and upgrade date are different things.

Yeah, I just discovered that :downs:.

However, I also discovered that someone used my wife's upgrade via Telesales to purchase an iPhone 4S and have it overnighted to that address in NY. VZW said they're going to cancel the order and then change my wife's upgrade date back to what it was.

I would have assumed that Telesales would have verified the info on the account but apparently not. Especially since when I went into the store today to purchase the Nexus, I had to produce ID and verify the account password.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Welp, just threw on one of the screen protectors I got after all this chat of SCREEN SCRATCHING. I've used my OG Droid since release with nary a nick on the screen without any sort of case or protection, but now I've got this bad boy cased and protected up. My baby! Too bad the screen protector didn't go on perfect, the screen is great-looking, but the upper edge on the brightness LED cutout didn't really attach properly.

edit: This screen protector kinda looks like boners. Anything that's dark looks decent, but white things look absolutely horrible, the anti-glare layer or something totally catches and turns things into a poo poo-colored rainbow. Anyone have recommendations for good protectors? (gently caress Zagg)

deadwing fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 16, 2011

Boris the Blade
Jun 10, 2005
The Bullet-Dodger
If I upgrade my line through Amazon, I'll still keep my grandfathered unlimited data, correct?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One other thing happened while I was unsuccessfully trying to buy a Galaxy Nexus, they were getting their first return.

Someone bought one earlier in the day, returning a Rezound to do so. Well, she wanted the Rezound back after less than a day. Her main complaint was that the Galaxy Nexus wasn't as fast as her Rezound and that she liked sense better.

As for the first point, I can actually believe it. As I mentioned before, the Galaxy Nexus I played with didn't seem as smooth as my Razr.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Props to the manager of the closest Verizon store to me for letting me know that a store 15 miles away (and easy to get to) had some left. Good thing I called ahead because I think I got the last one there.

Also, pentile schmentile. This screen is awesome.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Now that I'm at a keyboard and not typing from my phone while at work I want to expand upon my trip report.

So quick backstory, bought a DX in fall of 2010 with a 1 year contract, wife bought a DX near launch with a 2 year contract. This September when I was tried of my DX constantly rebooting and being a pain in the rear end and LTE rolling out in Portland, I decided to get a new phone and bought a Bionic. I purchased it online and thinking I was using my employee discount I ended up ordering it using my wife's upgrade and $50 off credit. After using it for 2 weeks I decided the upcoming phones were a better deal and returned it on day 14.

I used my POS DX for the next couple of weeks until the Rezound was released. Bought it on the 15th of November, told the manager "I'm waiting on the Nexus but my DX sucks so it's worth the $35 to rent something else until the Nexus comes out." He replied, "good plan." After finding out today that for some reason one of the 2nd upgrade we had that should be available wasn't (the next upgrade window would be May 2013) the manager tried to say that I could only upgrade once and if I returned a phone it didn't matter. Then he proceeded to tell me "you're returning a bunch of phones over and over again and that's not really how this is supposed to work." I haven't yet returned my Rezound, so the "bunch of phones" that I had returned "over and over again" was one Bionic in September. I suggested that maybe "one" phone wasn't really "a bunch" and he got even more pissy with me, but did whatever override he was supposed to do to make it so I could get the phone.

When that was all settled and the CSR went to get my phone, before doing so she grabbed a basket of cases off the bench behind her and set it down in front of me like I got to pick one because it was included. I asked "The phone doesn't come with a case right?" She said it didn't and I politely said, "No thanks then." To which I was asked a few times over "are you sure, it's a lot of money to replace one outright." When she finally realized I wasn't going to be buying a case she asked in a lovely tone, "You're at least going to buy some screen protectors right?" At that point I wanted to say "I might, but not from a store that gouges on accessories," but needed to get back to my cubicle and really just wanted to be done with her at that point.

After loving around with it for the afternoon, I'll likely look for an Otterbox for it, but gently caress buying it from Verizon. I still have the Rezound to return and haven't decided if I'm going to do so at a different location, or go back there so giggledick manager has to deal with it. Yes I'm being a bit of an rear end in a top hat myself, but dropping $300 on a phone gives me a little wiggle room on that IMO.

Ash1138 posted:

Also, pentile schmentile. This screen is awesome.

I got to agree. It's pretty drat nice.

highme fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 16, 2011

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

highme posted:

When she finally realized I wasn't going to be buying a case she asked in a lovely tone, "You're at least going to buy some screen protectors right?" At that point I wanted to say "I might, but not from a store that gouges on accessories," but needed to get back to my cubicle and really just wanted to be done with her at that point.
I had a dude ask me 4 times about buying insurance for my last phone, and let out a big sigh when I declined for the 4th time, telling me that phones are expensive after I had spent the last half hour chatting about how expensive phones are out of contract. I don't understand why they have an emotional attachment to this crap.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lblitzer posted:

I had a dude ask me 4 times about buying insurance for my last phone, and let out a big sigh when I declined for the 4th time, telling me that phones are expensive after I had spent the last half hour chatting about how expensive phones are out of contract. I don't understand why they have an emotional attachment to this crap.

Money.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Lblitzer posted:

Because it's their job. If their numbers are too low on attachment rates they get penalized for it.

Don't take it out on the workers helping you out and selling you your precious phone, it's not their choice. Take it out on the Verizon big wigs instead.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Because it's their job. If their numbers are too low on attachment rates they get penalized for it.

Don't take it out on the workers helping you out and selling you your precious phone. Take it out on the Verizon big wigs instead.

That and some people really use insurance. I have it on mine, why? I tend to trash phones pretty hard and I typically hate screen protectors and cases. Figure, 100 bucsk or whatever is cheaper than 500+ and insurance is cheap enough. I wont run it full contract, but I do run it for most of my non upgradable time.

That or those people who tend to have phones stolen every 6 months. No idea how they manage it, But they do.

Theres a need. Just not everyone needs it. Tho good reps have that poo poo figured out before they even ask, so excuse the new guys i guess.

And no, we dont get paid poo poo on insurance, Never have never will and it barely helps our attachment rates (any carrier) anyways. We'd rather push tethering or something. Maybe he was new?

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 16, 2011

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Don't take it out on the workers helping you out and selling you your precious phone, it's not their choice. Take it out on the Verizon big wigs instead.

Which is another reason why I didn't say anything. The only part that really bugged me was she just handed me the basket of cases like I got to pick one for free, without asking if I needed one, in hopes that I would pick one and not notice it's price was added to my bill.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
I imagine the accessory/insurance/whatever pushing is required by corporate. Its probably similar to the retail industry where they cut employee's hours if they don't meet their quota for signing people up for lovely store credit cards (Best Buy, Sears, etc). They probably have to sit through mind numbing meetings where managers say the words "team" and "service" far too much.

This is all just speculation on my part though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ericadia posted:

I imagine the accessory/insurance/whatever pushing is required by corporate. Its probably similar to the retail industry where they cut employee's hours if they don't meet their quota for signing people up for lovely store credit cards (Best Buy, Sears, etc). They probably have to sit through mind numbing meetings where managers say the words "team" and "service" far too much.

This is all just speculation on my part though.

Oh, i'm sure it's true.

However, it just encourages me to buy online and avoid the store altogether.

I don't like to be hassled when I buy poo poo. I go with the express intent of buying something and get the hell out of there.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

bull3964 posted:

Oh, i'm sure it's true.

However, it just encourages me to buy online and avoid the store altogether.

I don't like to be hassled when I buy poo poo. I go with the express intent of buying something and get the hell out of there.

Unfortunately, the world of Retail follows strange, arcane laws, laws that our own world is unable to comprehend.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

EbolaIvory posted:

That and some people really use insurance. I have it on mine, why? I tend to trash phones pretty hard and I typically hate screen protectors and cases. Figure, 100 bucsk or whatever is cheaper than 500+ and insurance is cheap enough. I wont run it full contract, but I do run it for most of my non upgradable time.

That or those people who tend to have phones stolen every 6 months. No idea how they manage it, But they do.

Theres a need. Just not everyone needs it. Tho good reps have that poo poo figured out before they even ask, so excuse the new guys i guess.
Oh no doubt I definitely see a use for it, I just treat my phones well. I just hate having accessories and "options" shoved down my throat every time I buy something from a cell phone store, and when I decline their offers, their mood immediately changes as if I've took their dinner and thrown it on the floor.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lblitzer posted:

Oh no doubt I definitely see a use for it, I just treat my phones well. I just hate having accessories and "options" shoved down my throat every time I buy something from a cell phone store, and when I decline their offers, their mood immediately changes as if I've took their dinner and thrown it on the floor.

Bad reps do that to ya man. Good reps dont give a gently caress because we're so far ahead on goals it dont matter ;)

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

EbolaIvory posted:

Bad reps do that to ya man. Good reps dont give a gently caress because we're so far ahead on goals it dont matter ;)

So did I miss something and you're with Big Red now?

Edit for content: Verizon reps what is this horseshit about manufactuer warranties not able to be honored after an assumption of liability unless you purchase TEC? Is this some shady upsell on TEC, I've heard this from two different people now.

Will HTC/Samsung/Moto honor a warranty directly if I call the, and say "Hey my poo poo is broken."

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 16, 2011

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Now that the Galaxy Nexus is out, does anyone know if I can use the $100 Midwest discount and my $50 credit for NE2? I'll buy this tomorrow if I can get the price down to $149. I saw them for $174 on another website, so I'll go with that if I can't use both discounts.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

Bloodplay it again posted:

Now that the Galaxy Nexus is out, does anyone know if I can use the $100 Midwest discount and my $50 credit for NE2? I'll buy this tomorrow if I can get the price down to $149. I saw them for $174 on another website, so I'll go with that if I can't use both discounts.

I wouldn't count on the $100 discount unless you got the mailer or live in Chicago but if you do have it, it should be no problem to combine them.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

highme posted:

When she finally realized I wasn't going to be buying a case she asked in a lovely tone, "You're at least going to buy some screen protectors right?"

I did buy screen protectors, and now I'm in the position of having to go back and say, "when your employee put this screen protector on, he failed to notice that the screen was already scratched."

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
I'm still teetering on the edge of buying a case for my Nexus. My biggest concern is that it will be the phone too bulky. I REALLY like having my phone as thin as possible. Are there any cases that would suit my preferences, that is being extremely low-profile?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

tzirean posted:

I did buy screen protectors, and now I'm in the position of having to go back and say, "when your employee put this screen protector on, he failed to notice that the screen was already scratched."

This is going to sound obvious and dumb probably, but are you sure it's not just a hair under the protector?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Codiusprime posted:

This is going to sound obvious and dumb probably, but are you sure it's not just a hair under the protector?

I'm really hoping it is. But based on the way it catches the light, I don't think so. And I'm not willing to take the protector off until I'm back at the store.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

tzirean posted:

I'm really hoping it is. But based on the way it catches the light, I don't think so. And I'm not willing to take the protector off until I'm back at the store.

I completely understand, in your situation there is no way I would take the protector off either. I hope they make it right for ya man. Good luck.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

SeaborneClink posted:

So did I miss something and you're with Big Red now?

Edit for content: Verizon reps what is this horseshit about manufactuer warranties not able to be honored after an assumption of liability unless you purchase TEC? Is this some shady upsell on TEC, I've heard this from two different people now.

Will HTC/Samsung/Moto honor a warranty directly if I call the, and say "Hey my poo poo is broken."

Technically warranties aren't transferable. A lot of the time if you call in, they wont check though, and you wont have an issue.

You can also contact the manufacturer directly, but you will need to send in your phone and need other equipment to switch to while its out.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Is a screen protector really necessary? I watch a video like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uyLC61JxsJQ and can't imagine how a screen protector is going to do anything.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

Is a screen protector really necessary? I watch a video like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uyLC61JxsJQ and can't imagine how a screen protector is going to do anything.

If a bit of sand gets in your pocket it will scratch your screen.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Don Lapre posted:

If a bit of sand gets in your pocket it will scratch your screen.

With some more googling, I just learned about material hardness! :science:

I guess I've just been lucky with my iPod touch. No screen protector on it in four years, and barely any screen scratches worth noticing.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

tzirean posted:

Question about this: should I relock the bootloader before I bring it in? It doesn't seem like they'd check it over a scratch, but...

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'm not a fan of the 3 pack of screen protectors they sell with the Nexus in store. They end up giving the screen an amped up way more annoying version of the Dell Ultrasharp Anti-glare coating "Crystaline effect" (I have a Dell 3008 and 2410 at home, so I'm pretty familiar with the sort of effect, and it totally doesn't bother me on those monitors, for reference) and make pure whites look rainbow-y and grainy. On the other hand, I am a big fan of the nice smooth matte feel they have for your finger. I have an invisible shield on my Droid X, and while it doesn't have any effect on the screen, the surface is that tacky semi sticky feeling that is not the best.

I might get another invisible shield, but eh, my phones are never anywhere but pretty tame environments to begin with.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

http://tinyurl.com/7crpxwy

So, Panda of TBH fame did a little tweet yesterday about a stock ICS moto device showing up at CES. Who knows if he's just trolling or knows something. However, the Razr MAXX just entered into Verizon's systems today.

That would likely be the 4.5" Razr that showed up in China. That device had a 720p display and a 13mp camera. One of the variants also had Dolby audio branding.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
That sounds delicious. I was always jealous of that version of the RAZR, I mean, if there's something that Americans have always hated its been HD screens and high MP cameras.

Also in my dream world manufacturers have looked at the hype and success of the Galaxy Nexus and realize that vanilla android can actually be a selling point. I love my dream world.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I would say that stock ICS (or close to it) is a decent possibility with Motorola's update. They've been moving toward it bit by bit. Their current devices are really very close to AOSP with the additions being added applications (smart actions) and some light themeing.

The launcher and lock screen modifications for their current round of devices have actually added some of the ICS functionality to current devices and almost seem about softening the blow to the eventual upgrade. Dismissal of individual notifications, lock screen camera access, even side scrolling application tray are all very similar. Data management is already broken out as a separate thing in the settings menu. The blue theme and translucency for the notification bar and shade are very similar in look to ICS. Contacts, dialer, and messaging are just the stock gingerbread apps with a blue theme applied.

So, we'll just have to see what the updates bring. I do think we are getting back to the OG Droid days rather than the low end heavy motoblur days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Knight
Dec 13, 2008

It looks like Let's Talk is backordered at least 1 to 2 weeks on the GNex. Anyone know of another place to get a sub-$200 deal for an upgrade on a family plan line (not the primary number)? Tried the 3G-to-4G at my local store but even though we're squarely in the midwest they weren't having any of it.

• Locked thread