Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Azrial posted:

Hopefully it is not a pain in the rear end to immediately change the number, the last thing i need is a Delaware area code when i am moving to Charleston, SC in 3 weeks.

If nothing else Google Voice lets you pick whatever area code you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I seem to have lost LTE connectivity in the past couple of hours on my nexus in Portland. Not sure if it's the device or network.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
The Bionic update doesn't seem to have reduced the number or frequency of complete signal drops I've been getting since I picked the phone up at launch. Does that point toward a device issue, or is the Tucson metro network structure just poo poo?

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

redstormpopcorn posted:

The Bionic update doesn't seem to have reduced the number or frequency of complete signal drops I've been getting since I picked the phone up at launch. Does that point toward a device issue, or is the Tucson metro network structure just poo poo?

The drops have decreased significantly since I got the update, but I still lose my data connection at least once a day. So far, setting the radio to CDMA only has helped, but it hasn't fixed it completely for me.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
If you call Verizon after you get the phone they should change the number.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:
So, now that it has been a few days, how is everyone's battery life on the GNex? Yesterday, I only was at 33% after about 7 hours of usage (a lot of gtalk and about an hour of streaming google music). Today, I was at 60% after 8 hours (no streaming). Both days with 4g enabled, NJ and NYC both days.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
It drains fast when the screen's on, but I just came from a Thunderbolt so it's still awesome. I've also found that with the screen off and playing MP3s it barely uses any battery at all. Completely idle it seems like it would last a week or more, but maybe that's just battery reporting.

Today I'm at 36% after 9h10m, with 2h34m screen on time and 3h20m of mediaserver.

edit: The only thing I'd complain about is the camera. It's terrible.

vote_no fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 18, 2011

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I'm digging mine, although I'm coming from a dumbphone so I don't have the best frame of reference. Battery life is something I expected to be an issue, especially early on before the novelty wears off. For what it's worth it looks like it used about a fifth of the battery idling overnight.

I still need to figure out what I want to grab appwise. :v:

68Bird
Sep 2, 2004
My battery life isn't as bad as I thought it was the first day, but I really expect it to improve a lot in the near future once we see 4.0.3. I'm not in a 4G area, so I leave that toggled off and seem to be getting upwards of 24 hours of life out of the extended battery with my "normal" usage (some calls, lots of texting and web browsing, some Youtube thrown in, Google Music for a while), so I'm relatively content.

The signal issue has been really interesting to me, but the quirks I've seen make me hopeful that a new baseband, maybe along with 4.0.3, will improve things. Reception is anywhere from -10 to -20 dbm lower than my Incredible was, but performance at -100 dbm or worse is actually better than my Incredible was. I'm consistently getting around 800kbps in these poo poo signal areas, and voice calls are FAR better in terms of quality and cutting out. I also noticed while driving that I pick up a 3G signal about 3/4 of a mile sooner than I did with my Incredible, so it doesn't seem like this thing is fundamentally broken.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone been having issues with the Razr's radio similar to the problems with the Bionic? My area has spotty 4G but really strong 3G - however, my phone keeps losing data altogether, even when I'm stationary. It will regain 3G service after a few minutes (sometimes 4G), only to cut out again and then repeat the cycle. It's wreaking havoc on my battery life - I went to bed last night with roughly 75% battery, and woke up with 5% remaining. Has this been an issue with the device in general, or did I get a defective unit, or is it possibly just my location (Henderson NV)?

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 18, 2011

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
The GNex is 289 with a small accessory pack (hard case, soft case, 3 in 1 charger, screen protectors) from CostCo.. I have an original NE2 (pre adjustment) upgrade and I can try to get that midwest discount mentioned here a few pages ago, is this a good route to go? Would CostCo wireless add the NE2 and midwest discount or do I need to go to a verizon shop?

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
I've been on Sprint for a little over 10 years now and am ready to switch from my Palm Pre to something a little more contemporary. Sprint has the Samsung Galaxy S II which I could upgrade to, but I'm very intrigued by the Galaxy Nexus. I'm currently paying ~$70/month for unlimited data/text/mms with 500 minutes (which never get used unless I call a land line before 7PM). Is it worth switching to Verizon for the Galaxy Nexus?

Edit: apparently it's important to note that I am in Dallas, TX which has 4G coverage and is in the midwest.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

raej posted:

Is it worth switching to Verizon for the Galaxy Nexus?
As stated in the Sprint thread, whether it's "worth" switching is up to your priorities. But between the Galaxy Nexus's release this week and the 4 GB LTE for $30/mo promo, this is probably the best time to switch to Verizon in-and-for quite a while.

Hex Darkstar
May 28, 2004

I think I need another liver transplant.
I thought the 4.0.2 update was supposed to fix the notification sound levels on the Galaxy Nexus but I guess I was mistaken. Until then I found a fix of installing http://androidaudiohacks.com/?page_id=2 and setting it to +8 for the volume level. I wasn't hearing my notifications at all now I can finally hear them :D

Other than that my nexus has worked flawlessly the face unlock I thought would just be a novelty item but it is so drat fast at unlocking the device with minimal input that i've been using it almost exclusively.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:
Battery was even better today. Good to see others are getting decent life.

Only issue I've come across is mms messages take FOREVER to send. Anyone else have this issue?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ExcessBLarg! posted:

As stated in the Sprint thread, whether it's "worth" switching is up to your priorities. But between the Galaxy Nexus's release this week and the 4 GB LTE for $30/mo promo, this is probably the best time to switch to Verizon in-and-for quite a while.

Speaking of which, is there an end date in sight for that deal?

Really hoping it lasts till the end of January.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it was something like "through the holidays"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cojawfee posted:

I think it was something like "through the holidays"

Meaning "When we think we won't get any new people with it"

Come on, January 22-29.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

doctor thodt posted:

Has anyone been having issues with the Razr's radio similar to the problems with the Bionic? My area has spotty 4G but really strong 3G - however, my phone keeps losing data altogether, even when I'm stationary. It will regain 3G service after a few minutes (sometimes 4G), only to cut out again and then repeat the cycle. It's wreaking havoc on my battery life - I went to bed last night with roughly 75% battery, and woke up with 5% remaining. Has this been an issue with the device in general, or did I get a defective unit, or is it possibly just my location (Henderson NV)?

Since your 4G is so lovely why don't you just toggle it down to 3G-only so the radio isn't murdering your battery? I only pull out 4G when I'm around known-good 4G spots and only for the time I'm using it. It's too burdensome on battery to leave on all the time.

For the record, I do have a Bionic and I can get the stock battery to last a significant portion of my day by keeping it 3G-only for the most part.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

Dickeye posted:

Meaning "When we think we won't get any new people with it"

Come on, January 22-29.

Well, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is a holiday, so maybe.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I find it amusing that I'm now counting down to the 22nd with the same fervor that all the GNex hopeful were counting down to the 15th, haha.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
I activated a new Verizon account (single line) through a third-party retailer.

If I go and activate an employer discount through Verizon on the account, will that trigger some kind of ETF or other fee from the store I bought the phone?

I know I should find out by combing through the language of the contract I signed (which I'll probably do, when it's not 2:30 in the morning), but does anyone know off hand?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Kyrosiris posted:

I find it amusing that I'm now counting down to the 22nd with the same fervor that all the GNex hopeful were counting down to the 15th, haha.

Did I miss something? What's going down on the 22nd?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mark Larson posted:

Did I miss something? What's going down on the 22nd?

The rumored release of the Droid 4, hopefully.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Kyrosiris posted:

The rumored release of the Droid 4, hopefully.

Ohh. No unlocked bootloader, no care.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

I activated a new Verizon account (single line) through a third-party retailer.

If I go and activate an employer discount through Verizon on the account, will that trigger some kind of ETF or other fee from the store I bought the phone?

I know I should find out by combing through the language of the contract I signed (which I'll probably do, when it's not 2:30 in the morning), but does anyone know off hand?

Adding an employer discount will not affect you negatively in any way. I activated my Verizon family plan through Best Buy and added an employer discount. No extra fees or anything were levied. It will go through smoothly.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mark Larson posted:

Ohh. No unlocked bootloader, no care.

Yes, well, when someone comes out with a phone with a keyboard AND an unlocked bootloader, then I'll be able to be picky in that regard.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
Hey, does anyone know if the "double data" for new 4g lines lines thing is still going? I recently got an Incredible 1 off of my cousin and am loving it, but I have an upgrade available and getting a w/ double data might be worth getting an newer phone earlier than spring which was my original intention

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

DeceasedHorse posted:

Hey, does anyone know if the "double data" for new 4g lines lines thing is still going? I recently got an Incredible 1 off of my cousin and am loving it, but I have an upgrade available and getting a w/ double data might be worth getting an newer phone earlier than spring which was my original intention

Their website still still shows a link to the promo on the page for the Nexus so I imagine it's all good.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned
The Nexus is now backordered for 1-2 months on Amazon, damnit.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Razr update is going out for soak test right now so it should probably be pushed to all users in a week or two.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/19/droid-razr-update-is-ready-improves-camera-data-connectivity-and-more/

Not ICS yet, but improvements in data stability and camera quality.

Also, Verizon is working on an update for Galaxy Nexus radio issues.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/19/verizon-support-update-to-address-galaxy-nexus-signal-strength-in-the-works/

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

bam thwok posted:

The Nexus is now backordered for 1-2 months on Amazon, damnit.

Holy crap. Hopefully this sends the message that people want "stock" Android.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Holy crap. Hopefully this sends the message that people want "stock" Android.

Nope. It sends the message that an online vendor can sell a new phone at half price and get a lot of orders.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Kyrosiris posted:

Yes, well, when someone comes out with a phone with a keyboard AND an unlocked bootloader, then I'll be able to be picky in that regard.
Samsung Stratosphere :v:

Actually the Captivate Glide doesn't look to be a bad device, except it's Tegra 2 and an AT&T exclusive.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Samsung Stratosphere :v:

Actually the Captivate Glide doesn't look to be a bad device, except it's Tegra 2 and an AT&T exclusive.

Tegra 2 = no can do on CM, right?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Mighty Horse posted:

Nope. It sends the message that an online vendor can sell a new phone at half price and get a lot of orders.

The Verizon store where I got my Nexus had sold out their entire initial shipment by 1 PM launch day. A good sign? We'll have to wait for overall sales figures to find out how this thing is really doing, but I don't think the RAZR or Rezound sold out either in stores or online, even when Amazon had them for a penny.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kyrosiris posted:

Here you go!

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Penguissimo posted:

The Verizon store where I got my Nexus had sold out their entire initial shipment by 1 PM launch day. A good sign? We'll have to wait for overall sales figures to find out how this thing is really doing, but I don't think the RAZR or Rezound sold out either in stores or online, even when Amazon had them for a penny.

They did, as amazon pulled them both from the penny sale and upped them to a week or two shipping.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Penguissimo posted:

We also don't know what the initial supply of Nexuses vs RAZRs was, so even data about selling out or not isn't necessarily meaningful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Do carriers ever even release sales numbers? I can't imagine we're ever going to get confirmation that a total of 0 Xyboards have sold.

• Locked thread