Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

Yeah you might as well just test drive a 302 f150, just imagine it is lower to the ground and handles better and is a little faster.

Yeah, you'd be hard pressed to even tell the difference between the cars just driving them around the neighborhood or doing a quick blast down the highway but sure, it's exactly the same as test driving the F150 :rolleyes: I'm sure dealers are going to be real quick to let you play with launch control or bounce off the rev limiter on a brand new car.

I'm not the type to EVER side with dealerships but in this case I will. The bottom line is if you're buying a Boss you know what you're buying. It's a better and badder Mustang GT. If you like the GT, you'll love the Boss. If you hate everything about the GT I'm not sure the Boss is really going to change your mind.

Elephanthead posted:

That dealer is an idiot. Did you drive up in a clunker wearing a tee shirt and cutoff shorts? Appearances are everything. Next time wear a monocle and top hat.

The dealer isn't obligated to let you test drive anything you want, especially something they feel they can sell it without anyone ever stepping foot in it. Try to sell a sports car on your own and you have to deal with assholes who just want to kick the tires and gently caress around in your car because they're bored and see how you feel. If you KNOW you'll buy the car offer to put down a deposit on your credit card (easier to get back if they give you poo poo). That'll almost always get them to reconsider. If you know deep down you're just loving around then don't bother

Special edition Mustangs are gold for Ford dealerships. There's a huge profit margin on them to begin with and they're almost always sold at or above MSRP. Special edition Mustang's are Ford's way of saying thank you to dealerships that sell lots of cars. The big dealerships that sell the most get more allocations, don't be surprised if they're protective of what might be the only 2012 model boss that will come onto the lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kronix posted:

It's a better and badder Mustang GT. If you like the GT, you'll love the Boss.

The Boss is very track tuned. If someone goes to a track event once or twice a year, but is also planning to daily drive the car, they're definitely justified in seeing if they can put up with the lower and stiffer ride, which can only be judged by driving the car.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

The Boss is very track tuned. If someone goes to a track event once or twice a year, but is also planning to daily drive the car, they're definitely justified in seeing if they can put up with the lower and stiffer ride, which can only be judged by driving the car.

I completely agree with you, my point was that the dealership has no incentive to let you do so in most cases. They don't care if you're worried about clearing your driveway if they can sell it to someone else who doesn't care or doesn't have to live with it every day. Like I said, offer to drop a deposit and see if that works or move on understanding that they're under no obligation to do anything for you and will generally tell you anything to get you into the showroom. If you want to be treated like a prince walking in to the showroom you should be in a BMW dealership instead. Unfortunately that'll never happen in a Ford dealership.

Also, to get back on topic, Ford better make this:
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/08/ford-racing-quietly-shows-off-mustang-boss-302sx/

Anyone know what the deal is with the 500 horsepower NA Cobra Jet motor? I'm curious how they're getting so much horsepower out of the 5.0L Coyote and what the dyno graph looks like.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kronix posted:

I completely agree with you, my point was that the dealership has no incentive to let you do so in most cases.
Well part of your point was that people would always like both the Boss and the GT, which I don't believe is the case. There are people out there who would be sold or break based on a test drive of the Boss.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
This is pretty ridiculous. It's amazing how hard it is to call up a dealer and say "I want to order a 2013 Boss. Can I come look at the 2012 you've got in stock?"

They all seem so goddamned perplexed by that. Maybe 3rd time's the charm.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

MrSaturn posted:

This is pretty ridiculous. It's amazing how hard it is to call up a dealer and say "I want to order a 2013 Boss. Can I come look at the 2012 you've got in stock?"

They all seem so goddamned perplexed by that. Maybe 3rd time's the charm.

You might have a hard time ordering one period. They may not care about you wanting a 2013 because they might not even get an allocation.

quote:

Im not understanding this here. There's no way at all any dealer has got a comfirmed boss allocations. The order bank is open but no boss cars has been given out yet at all. I order all of are bosses for us and ford wont start handing bosses out untill middle-end of the month.

To:All Ford Dealers Subject:EFC00903DC 2013 Boss 302 Dealer Allocation Last year we proved what a Mustang could do on a track and the Boss 302 is back for more, paying homage to the 1970 Boss that made it famous.

It is our hope that this allocation strategy will support your efforts in providing customers with a clear understanding of new and exciting best in class product.

METHODS FOR EARNING ALLOCATION
All Ford dealers will have the opportunity to earn a 2013 Boss 302 Mustang. There are two methods for earning allocation:

SHARE OF NATION

•Approximately 75% of the 2013 Boss 302 production will be allocated to the Ford dealers as a Share of Nation
•Those dealers that sell 75% of the retail Mustangs will participate in the Share of Nation allocation (retail Mustang sales % of Nation) -- through October would be the Top 792 Mustang dealers selling 21 or more for the time period
•12 months of sales (December 1, 2010 - November 30, 2011) will be used to determine dealers participating in the Share of Nation. A dealers opportunity to increase share of nation allocation or inclusion in the Top 75% is increased with each Mustang sold through the end of November
•Each of the dealers participating in the Share of Nation is guaranteed at least one Boss 302
LOTTERY

•Those Ford dealers not participating in the Share of Nation will be entered into a Lottery for the balance of the allocation
•Each dealership participating in the Lottery will receive one chip (entry into the lottery) for being a dealer and one chip for each retail sale over the 12-month period (December 1, 2010 - November 30, 2011)
•Those dealers with ZERO Mustang sales over the 12-month period will each receive one chip in the lottery
•No dealer will earn more then one Boss 302 through the lottery
Note: The Laguna Seca Package will be allocated by a second lottery for all dealers earning a Boss 302 through Share of Nation or Lottery.

To help manage customer expectations for ordering the 2013 Boss 302 Mustang, all 2013 MY dealer production guides will be communicated in early January. Dealers will be given their full year guide numbers along with the quarter(s) their unit(s) will be scheduled. This will enable dealers to manage customer expectations regarding availability and timing. Production is scheduled to begin in March.

found this here: http://bossmustangsonline.com/boss-302-general-forum/2013-boss-302-call-from-dealer/?PHPSESSID=noqf0u80bsvoc595gl0iijv2t1

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Why the gently caress does Ford make it so hard for people to buy their drat cars?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Just the special edition poo poo, and it's because someone else will buy it at like a $10k premium. It's not as if Ford is worried these things won't sell.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dick Burglar posted:

Just the special edition poo poo, and it's because someone else will buy it at like a $10k premium. It's not as if Ford is worried these things won't sell.

But it's not even the markups over RRP that are bad, it seems that even if you don't mind paying the extra it seems weird that you can't even walk into a dealer and say "I would like to buy a Boss please" and be able to actually do it.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

But it's not even the markups over RRP that are bad, it seems that even if you don't mind paying the extra it seems weird that you can't even walk into a dealer and say "I would like to buy a Boss please" and be able to actually do it.

Keeping them annoyingly hard to get ensures people will overpay for them in the end. It's one of the things that makes special cars special. The sure fire way to end up paying the most is trying to get one right away.

Porsche and Ferrari are also do annoying poo poo like this.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

kronix posted:

Keeping them annoyingly hard to get ensures people will overpay for them in the end. It's one of the things that makes special cars special. The sure fire way to end up paying the most is trying to get one right away.

Porsche and Ferrari are also do annoying poo poo like this.

Although, for the dealerships in my area it's biting them in the rear end now. When the 302's/LS's came out, the Ford dealerships were getting them any way possible, throwing them in the show room, slapping a no touching/no test drive/no looking at until we have a deposit sign on them....and then looking at them for months.

This is a common sight in Calgary. The first one is roughly 20K more than what I paid for my GT500, and I was able to test drive the piss out of mine when I bought it.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2012-Ford-Mustang-Laguna-Seca-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ323499788

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2012-Ford-Mustang-BOSS-302-LAGUNA-SECA-W0QQAdIdZ336239833

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 14, 2011

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
Update: I went to another dealer tonight, and took a regular GT with a 6 speed for a spin. It was a good drive, and it has comparable power to the Camaro. I did find that the clutch on the camaro was a bit harder of a throw, and seemed to have a more sensitive engagement point. On the other hand, the Mustang was notchier to shift, and took quite a bit of effort (I'm not sure that's a bad thing, though).

It hugged curves nicely enough, but I can't help but feel underwhelmed by the whole experience. This dealer was much more welcoming, and I was able to poke around with the Boss on their lot (though they still wouldn't let me drive it - it was in the showroom, too). The GSM at the dealership was quick to assure me that he'd find out ASAP about ordering a 2013 Boss, but I also got the impression he'll be asking more than MSRP, which, apparently, not all dealers are doing, so that's another matter entirely.

Maybe I'm just destined to drive finicky old cars forever. I'd much rather blow $20-40k on a classic barge, for whatever reason. :v:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

MrSaturn posted:

Update: I went to another dealer tonight, and took a regular GT with a 6 speed for a spin. It was a good drive, and it has comparable power to the Camaro. I did find that the clutch on the camaro was a bit harder of a throw, and seemed to have a more sensitive engagement point. On the other hand, the Mustang was notchier to shift, and took quite a bit of effort (I'm not sure that's a bad thing, though).

It hugged curves nicely enough, but I can't help but feel underwhelmed by the whole experience. This dealer was much more welcoming, and I was able to poke around with the Boss on their lot (though they still wouldn't let me drive it - it was in the showroom, too). The GSM at the dealership was quick to assure me that he'd find out ASAP about ordering a 2013 Boss, but I also got the impression he'll be asking more than MSRP, which, apparently, not all dealers are doing, so that's another matter entirely.

Maybe I'm just destined to drive finicky old cars forever. I'd much rather blow $20-40k on a classic barge, for whatever reason. :v:

Just to compare, I walked into a dealer this weekend, pulling up in a rental Versa, jeans, and a band tee and had no issue whatsoever in taking out one of their 2 boss's.

It was amazing. I just wish I was coming back to the mainland before 2014 so I could justify one now. Just not worth it in Guam. But I am glad I came back to VA and got to drive one, it was seriously amazing.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

2ndclasscitizen posted:

As others have said, dealers can't order you a Boss because they don't know how many they are going to get. You're also failing to realize how much of an attractor cars like the Boss are to folks driving by. The dealer across the street from me had a Laguna Seca that was sold before it got there, but they worked a deal with the buyer to allow them to keep it on their lot for a few weeks after it arrived because it draws in so many other potential customers.

"Well sir, that car isn't for sale, but check out all of these other Mustangs that are very similar!"

If you really want to have your mind blown, go to a dealer with a Saleen on the lot and even hint that you're going to fog up the glass. Saleens attract mouth breathing morons like nobody's business; the type of people that pay $40k to lease an Altima.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MrSaturn posted:

You could always get something unique. Like a nicely restored Corvair! :v:

Honest question, are there any dealers willing to whore out price on Mustangs to get volume via easy internet sales? My old man bought his C6 from a dealer he's never set foot in across the country because they can just put the order in with GM and have it delivered to a dealer here, and they give some awesome no-bullshit pricing. He just picked the local dealer with the cheapest destination charge, waited for it to be delivered there, and picked it up.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

MrSaturn posted:

...but I can't help but feel underwhelmed by the whole experience.

I drove a 6 speed GT back to back with the boss when I was shopping for mine, and it was a pretty big difference between the two. I felt exactly the same about the GT I drove, it was nice, but sorta underwhelming, nowhere near as visceral driving experience. The boss really is a different beast, even with stuff like the dampers on the softest settings (Mine was set to 1 out of 5 when I took a look at em after getting home).

Also anecdotally, the only Ford dealer in my city got an allocation of 4 cars, the first of which went to the owner's buddy. Mine was the second, bought in July, but they got in their third one, an Orange/Black a couple months ago and it's still sitting there. They've had a couple GT500s come and go in the same time period. :iiam:

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I see turbo kits out there for about $6,000 that supposedly add 100 horsepower on pretty low settings and are somewhat easy to install. What are some of the drawbacks of putting these on, does it damage the engine at all? Referring specifically to the 2011+ GT model.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

hayden. posted:

I see turbo kits out there for about $6,000 that supposedly add 100 horsepower on pretty low settings and are somewhat easy to install. What are some of the drawbacks of putting these on, does it damage the engine at all? Referring specifically to the 2011+ GT model.

There's really no drawbacks other than the extra wear and tear on the engine/transmission which, depending on how you drive it would be minimal.

I've looked at the hellion kit myself and my big issue is the turbocharger placement. Also there was some discussion in this thread a while back about someone having a major issue doing the install, I think Phil posted a link to some other forum where some guy was complaining about lovely fitment in the hellion kit.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah I read about that too, apparently it was rubbing against the tire when turning hard but the manufacturer insisted it was just installed incorrectly. They also shamelessly self promote like crazy and I've seen rumors that they paid off forum administrators to delete trash talking about their products.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

hayden. posted:

Yeah I read about that too, apparently it was rubbing against the tire when turning hard but the manufacturer insisted it was just installed incorrectly. They also shamelessly self promote like crazy and I've seen rumors that they paid off forum administrators to delete trash talking about their products.

I'd feel comfortable buying a Hellion kit because they are so hardcore about protecting their name. If you run into problems there are going to be about a dozen shops offering to install it for free...provided you make a big enough stink on the forums.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

frozenphil posted:

...provided you make a big enough stink on the forums.

Don't you think that's a bad thing to be doing in the Mustang community right now?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Don't you think that's a bad thing to be doing in the Mustang community right now?

For what reason?

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Just curious, why are you choosing a turbocharger for only 100HP? That seems like so much more work than a supercharger for power levels that are relatively modest. It looks like the prices for each are pretty comparable.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

oRenj9 posted:

Just curious, why are you choosing a turbocharger for only 100HP? That seems like so much more work than a supercharger for power levels that are relatively modest. It looks like the prices for each are pretty comparable.

Unless it's a twin screw, turbos just sound cooler.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I meant either really, just saw that the turbos were perhaps more prevalent. I figured the more aggressively you pushed the turbo/supercharger the more potential damage it had for the engine which is why I asked about only a small amount of additional HP. It would be fun to turbo a 5.0 GT, but not so much to only have it work for a year and then blow up a $30,000 car. Is one option safer than the other?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

frozenphil posted:

For what reason?

Just seems like it'd encourage complaining about OEM and AM issues overly loud, and causing even tighter policing of the forums.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

oRenj9 posted:

Turbos create a lot less stress on things than superchargers. Superchargers have a lot of parasitic loss due to their requirement of being run off the crank. That extra side loading on the crank, once you get into higher boost and thus tighter belt requirements, can cause some funky stuff with main bearing wear, piston scuffing, etc...

kimbo305 posted:

Just seems like it'd encourage complaining about OEM and AM issues overly loud, and causing even tighter policing of the forums.

Depends on the forum. A bought off place like SVTPerformance isn't going to let you complain, but a forum like modularfords isn't going to have a problem with it, provided you have a legit complaint and not some bullshit that you caused yourself by not reading the directions or knowing how to turn a wrench..

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

oRenj9 posted:

I'd personally feel a lot better about running a turbo at 500hp than running NA at 500 horsepower. Every tune out there is doing the same thing, leaning the mixture as much as they think they can get away with or until they knock sensors go ape poo poo or in some cases just disabling the knock sensors entirely when they're inconvenient. By leaning out the mixture you're reducing the cooling effect of the extra fuel so while you're increasing thermal efficiency you're doing it at the expense of lots of extra heat in the combustion chamber.

At least when you're talked forced induction you're generally running rich enough that heat isn't the issue. I'd be willing to bet you'd have a lot less problems with a turbo'd GT than a tuned by NA motor at ~500hp.

edit: fixed something stupid

kronix fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 15, 2011

antisocial86
Dec 8, 2003
yes sirs
So now that Ive been a dirty oilfield hand for a while I finally have some dough saved up to start restoring my mom's '64.5. Only problem is I'm an idiot and I'm rarely home in Portland so I want to drop it off someplace after I pull the engine and have someone strip and restore the body. Actually the less I do myself the better since I suck at cars. The poor mustang has been sitting for years and has a wee bit of rust and the engine is basically dismantled. I found a place called Gary's Mustang in Portland that I guess does excellent classic restorations. I have a pretty large amount of cash to drop into this beast but I have no idea where to start. Strip it, media blast, fix the rust, get the body straight and pretty then start worrying about the old 289?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

antisocial86 posted:

So now that Ive been a dirty oilfield hand for a while I finally have some dough saved up to start restoring my mom's '64.5. Only problem is I'm an idiot and I'm rarely home in Portland so I want to drop it off someplace after I pull the engine and have someone strip and restore the body. Actually the less I do myself the better since I suck at cars. The poor mustang has been sitting for years and has a wee bit of rust and the engine is basically dismantled. I found a place called Gary's Mustang in Portland that I guess does excellent classic restorations. I have a pretty large amount of cash to drop into this beast but I have no idea where to start. Strip it, media blast, fix the rust, get the body straight and pretty then start worrying about the old 289?

I'm moving to Portland next month. :)

I'm not sure what you're asking here. Aren't you having a shop do the restoration? If so, they'll know where to start.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

So I'm leaving behind the land of the 20-year-olds tomorrow, and somehow my dad figured out I like Mustangs. I found these on the porch yesterday.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
YEAH BABY PUT IT INNNNNNNNN :pervert:

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
That jacket makes me hope think that she has nothing on under it. :pervert:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

frozenphil posted:

Wait a second, is that THE Mustang back on the road under its own power?

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

You Am I posted:

Wait a second, is that THE Mustang back on the road under its own power?

I'm pretty sure phil painted his bullitt green, not to mention the Earth is still spinning

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ApathyGifted posted:

I'm pretty sure phil painted his bullitt green, not to mention the Earth is still spinning

Hell hasn't frozen over yet, and a good Duke Nukem game has yet to come out.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
His is a '67 too, and that one pictured is a '68, as far as I can tell. It has those corner marker lights, I don't think the '67 did.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
On the other hand that is definitely frozenphill in the picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

ApathyGifted posted:

Dark Moss Green. FYI, "Bullitt Green" is called Dark Highland Green.

Throatwarbler posted:

On the other hand that is definitely frozenphill in the picture.

:wink: