Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Awesome! Keep us updated on it, if the world needs more of anything, it's naked bikes!!

Still getting parts at the moment. Only need signals, mirrors, and gauge bullets.

Probably going to stay OEM for signals. I'm wondering if I should go for original mirrors, or get something with integrated signals like this: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Integrated-M...=item3effd831b9

Probably going to go for the OEM style though: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MIRROR-SUZUK...=item19cbbd12b4

What do you guys think?

Once I get all the parts I'll document the process. MK2 Bandit are much more complicated to convert. Need new headlight wiring, upper triple, clock mounts, fork mounts. Lots of fiddly poo poo.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
My F4i has been in the shop for two weeks now, and I'm at my wit's end. The guy thought it was the fuel pressure sensor, but it wasn't, and now he's at an impasse. It starts fine, runs alright, then misses and is low on power when it warms up. I think he's going to check the valves next? Oy. I wouldn't be any better at troubleshooting it, but it is frustrating to not be able to do anything, and to not have my bike.

Do you all have any suggestions on what could be going wrong? If I can't get my bike back before Christmas I'll go nuts. :sweatdrop:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ghost Cactus posted:

My F4i has been in the shop for two weeks now, and I'm at my wit's end. The guy thought it was the fuel pressure sensor, but it wasn't, and now he's at an impasse. It starts fine, runs alright, then misses and is low on power when it warms up. I think he's going to check the valves next? Oy. I wouldn't be any better at troubleshooting it, but it is frustrating to not be able to do anything, and to not have my bike.

Do you all have any suggestions on what could be going wrong? If I can't get my bike back before Christmas I'll go nuts. :sweatdrop:

What are the compression/leakdown numbers?

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Ghost Cactus posted:

Does he have a known-good CDI-box available for a temporary swap? That'd probably be the first thing I'd try from what you describe.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I'm still trying to get the 636 to run right. It would run ok before, but either heavy ticking or whining depending on the tensioner. I got a manual tensioner, installed it and now as of today it will start but won't hold idle. If I don't hold the throttle open it will stall after a couple minutes.

My first thought is I put the tensioner in too loose and it skipped a tooth. I tightened it until finger tight, then backed it out a 1/4 turn, as per the directions. I missed the part about how you are supposed to tighten it while turning the motor over by hand, which is what I did just now. So it may have been pretty drat loose yesterday and skipped when I hit the starter (it didn't start).

Second is that it might not be getting enough juice since the battery is completely dead now, but I have it on a charger (real car charger not a tender), to start and run it.

Am I right? Am I taking the cams out for the third time? I can't find any info as to whether or not it's an interference motor either.

Piggly Wiggly Woo
Mar 14, 2007

by angerbeet
Right I've got one for you guys

I was trying to get my right clipons off and I've manages to totally strip the hex of one of the bolts:

It's basically a circle now and I'm panicing that it's going to be a real hassle and expensive to get it out. Does anyone have a solution? Im willing to buy tools for this but only sensible options.

Thanks

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Take a saw to it, cut a groove, and use a big flat head screw driver? Seems like there is enough access.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I managed to get a stripped hex head out once by hammering in a oversized torx socket.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gnaghi posted:

I'm still trying to get the 636 to run right. It would run ok before, but either heavy ticking or whining depending on the tensioner. I got a manual tensioner, installed it and now as of today it will start but won't hold idle. If I don't hold the throttle open it will stall after a couple minutes.

My first thought is I put the tensioner in too loose and it skipped a tooth. I tightened it until finger tight, then backed it out a 1/4 turn, as per the directions. I missed the part about how you are supposed to tighten it while turning the motor over by hand, which is what I did just now. So it may have been pretty drat loose yesterday and skipped when I hit the starter (it didn't start).

Second is that it might not be getting enough juice since the battery is completely dead now, but I have it on a charger (real car charger not a tender), to start and run it.

Am I right? Am I taking the cams out for the third time? I can't find any info as to whether or not it's an interference motor either.

Get a good battery to start with. Did you check that the cams are still in time?

PeaceFrog
Jul 27, 2004
you'll shoot your eye out.

Piggly Wiggly Woo posted:

It's basically a circle now and I'm panicing that it's going to be a real hassle and expensive to get it out. Does anyone have a solution? Im willing to buy tools for this but only sensible options.

Soak the fucker down with a penetrating oil. No matter what you end up using, at some point you will be relying on luck to spin the fragments of a bolt out. Bolt outs, lefty drill bits, torx jammed in, and slots for a screwdriver all are sensible options. Bonus points for cutting a slot and using a impact driver with a big flat head. I would try to pound in a similar sized SAE allen or a torx bit first, stepping up destructive methods until you win. None of the tools you would have to buy to do the job cost alot, and they may save you next time you screw up.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

To make you feel better about stripping that sucker, I once torqued a similar bolt so hard that it broke probably about 1/2 inches down, into my crankcase cover. A friend of mine wound up removing the crankcase cover and using a pair of vice grips to just pull it the rest of the way through. All in all, yours is not so bad, and you'll be gobsmacked when it strikes you how easy that was.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
If you want to save some time on cutting the slot and have a steady hand, you can use a dremel to cut the slot for your driver. Just make sure it doesn't skip off the edge and screw something else up.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Can anyone who has used both stem and bar end mirrors comment on how they compared?

I'm trying to decide if I want to use the stock mirrors or go with something different.

For reference, stock mirrors.

(I wish mine was that clean)

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Z3n posted:

What are the compression/leakdown numbers?

If only I knew. :(

Sir Cornelius posted:

Does he have a known-good CDI-box available for a temporary swap? That'd probably be the first thing I'd try from what you describe.

That makes sense, and I'll definitely ask him. Thank you both for your help.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Stock mirrors are generally much better, larger and more stable.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
These seem to be reproductions of the stock mirrors. Unless someone can give me a reason to not to. Bike Bandit wants 80$ for 1 OEM mirror. I can get a nice clean pair for half that...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/330652350016?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I like napoleon-style bar-end mirrors. Don't get views of my shoulders. If I lived in a state where lane splitting was legal (and I was crazy enough to do it) I might have stuck with the stock rabbit ear mirrors, but for now bar-end mirrors are the way to go, if you have the right handlebar style (don't work too well for low handlebars, or ape hangers, but if you're in the middle they're pretty good).

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I had the napoleon mirror(s) on my buell and they worked really well. The stock swivel ones tend to vibrate out of position if you aren't re-tightening them all the time.

Z3n posted:

Get a good battery to start with. Did you check that the cams are still in time?

Yeah they were when the stock tensioner was in. Is there any trick to check them without pulling the cam cover off and eying the reg marks?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

AhhYes posted:

I walked outside to find my bike on its side today. The black mark on the cover at the front tire shows where the car hit it.

Holy poo poo, are you me?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ziploc posted:

These seem to be reproductions of the stock mirrors. Unless someone can give me a reason to not to. Bike Bandit wants 80$ for 1 OEM mirror. I can get a nice clean pair for half that...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/330652350016?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Those are pretty exact replicas of the stockers. I run some generic black ones that I got at the local bike shop, and the Bandit mirrors have been moved to my RV90.

That being said, the Bandit mirrors are nice, and I never had any trouble with mine moving on me, I just liked the look of the black aftermarket ones on my bike.

I've never actually run bar-end mirrors, mainly because I don't really like how they look, so I cant speak to those on a Bandit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I prefer bar ends. I can actually see something other than my shoulders in them. It does take some getting used to them being in that position, though. It depends on the stock mirrors, though. My VFR's mirrors are actually pretty good.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

For a commuter that sees a lot of traffic, idiots and interstate/highway I prefer big ugly stock mirrors. For a play bike or one that doesn't see much of that stuff bar end mirrors are nice, don't put them on a sumo though. You will crash and that will be the only thing broken.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

I had the napoleon mirror(s) on my buell and they worked really well. The stock swivel ones tend to vibrate out of position if you aren't re-tightening them all the time.

Yeah they were when the stock tensioner was in. Is there any trick to check them without pulling the cam cover off and eying the reg marks?

Nope, have to pull it.

Also on the mirrors debate, some cheap aftermarket mirrors don't use curved glass and that makes them much less useful.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Chris Knight posted:

Holy poo poo, are you me?

Awful wasn't it? If it's any consolation, my bike is just fine. Extremely minor scratches on the end of the handlebars and that's it.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
How critical is switching to a manual CCT and doing the countershaft loctite fix on a DRZ? Will my bike explode next week if I don't do them, or is it just "some bikes" that have problem with these?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Gnaghi posted:

I managed to get a stripped hex head out once by hammering in a oversized torx socket.

Great suggestion, I would recommend this as well.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

How critical is switching to a manual CCT and doing the countershaft loctite fix on a DRZ? Will my bike explode next week if I don't do them, or is it just "some bikes" that have problem with these?

Probably not next week but I'd do it sooner rather than later, simply because the failed CCT stretches the chain too much, so eventually you'll have to do the MCCT and the cam chain.

The countershaft locktite fix...I'd find mine loose every few thousand miles, so I'd do it sooner rather than later, or just keep an eye on the nut/lockwasher. Too much loosening damages the threads though.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Z3n, it seems your PM inbox is full.

Piggly Wiggly Woo
Mar 14, 2007

by angerbeet

Gnaghi posted:

Just did this, and it worked. Used loads of penetrating oil. Aerosol - for shotguns as it happens and it worked a treat. Thanks

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Z3n, it seems your PM inbox is full.

Fixed and drop me an e-mail at the address I gave you :)

Piggly Wiggly Woo
Mar 14, 2007

by angerbeet
What does this spring attach to? I can't remember and there's nothing intuitive. It's connected to the bottom of the master brake cylinder.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

What does this spring attach to? I can't remember and there's nothing intuitive. It's connected to the bottom of the master brake cylinder.

That's your brake light switch, should attach to the brake lever somehow.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Attaches to the second open slot on the brake lever that the other spring is attached to.

Piggly Wiggly Woo
Mar 14, 2007

by angerbeet

Z3n posted:

Attaches to the second open slot on the brake lever that the other spring is attached to.

seems really loose...

edit: yep thats it, thanks

Piggly Wiggly Woo fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 21, 2011

Piggly Wiggly Woo
Mar 14, 2007

by angerbeet
is there supposed to be a certain amount of drag on my front wheel created by the brake pad disks?

i.e. I have my bike up on a stand and I have to use a little amount of force to get the wheel spinning. It's not much about as much as pushing a plate accross a wooden table.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

is there supposed to be a certain amount of drag on my front wheel created by the brake pad disks?

i.e. I have my bike up on a stand and I have to use a little amount of force to get the wheel spinning. It's not much about as much as pushing a plate accross a wooden table.

Yeah that's pretty normal. Easiest way to see if you have bad drag or not is to ride it around the block, don't use the front brake, both front disks should be cold when you pull back into the garage.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Ok I need to remove this bolt here that holds my muffler to the frame to the bike.... trouble is, the bolt just free spins in there and will not come out, theres a square nut on the other end which spins along with the bolt, i'm totally dumbfounded and have tried a few other solutions which didn't work.

Do I need to hold the square nut on the other end somehow? Because the incredibly tight space leaves virtually no room to get any kind of wrench/tool in there. I've seen a youtube video of someone removing the bolt and he simply removed with easily with a socket. Was the Bolt/hole somehow damaged by my lowside on the gsx-r?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Just get a wrench around the back of it to hold the square nut.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Z3n posted:

Just get a wrench around the back of it to hold the square nut.

Which at one point was tack-welded on to the frame, but isn't now, but should be again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Which at one point was tack-welded on to the frame, but isn't now, but should be again.

I gotta stop buying beaters, mine have always been freespinning. Never noticed any weld residue on them either.