Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

MassRayPer posted:

...could someone explain this more? I can't listen today but... what?

It's really hard to do the whole thing justice, nor would I want to, but basically they spent 20 minutes droning on and on and on, rehashing the old argument about whether or not a guy who beats a #1 contender should automatically become the #1 contender, and the validity of a rankings system in the UFC. Then, when they seemed to be finally ready to move on, Bryan comes back with this analogy: "imagine if Canada invaded the US tomorrow, and all Obama did was go on TV and calmly explain that, because Canada isn't ranked as the #2 most powerful country in the world, they had no business invading the US, which is ranked #1, so they'd just have to pack their bags, go home, and maybe try again a few years down the line".

Then they spent the last ~15 minutes of the show discussing 8-bit videogames. I swear to God, if I had anything stronger than alcohol in the house right now, I would do it and listen to this show again, because I'm fairly sure it would be a transcendental experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

These Drooling Idiots posted:

"imagine if Canada invaded the US tomorrow, and all Obama did was go on TV and calmly explain that, because Canada isn't ranked as the #2 most powerful country in the world, they had no business invading the US, which is ranked #1, so they'd just have to pack their bags, go home, and maybe try again a few years down the line".

What the actual gently caress?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

flashy_mcflash posted:

What the actual gently caress?

Everyone knows America and Canada are training partners and would never fight each other.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

PaybackJack posted:

Everyone knows America and Canada are training partners and would never fight each other.
Canada I was not impressed with your performance

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

Moose Bigelow posted:

Canada I was not impressed with your performance

I put Canada in my 4th tier.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Todd rules

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Borh posted:

It's really hard to do the whole thing justice, nor would I want to, but basically they spent 20 minutes droning on and on and on, rehashing the old argument about whether or not a guy who beats a #1 contender should automatically become the #1 contender, and the validity of a rankings system in the UFC. Then, when they seemed to be finally ready to move on, Bryan comes back with this analogy: "imagine if Canada invaded the US tomorrow, and all Obama did was go on TV and calmly explain that, because Canada isn't ranked as the #2 most powerful country in the world, they had no business invading the US, which is ranked #1, so they'd just have to pack their bags, go home, and maybe try again a few years down the line".

Then they spent the last ~15 minutes of the show discussing 8-bit videogames. I swear to God, if I had anything stronger than alcohol in the house right now, I would do it and listen to this show again, because I'm fairly sure it would be a transcendental experience.

I know what I am listening to tomorrow.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MassRayPer posted:

I know what I am listening to tomorrow.

Something other than this, unless you've scored some ketamine?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

Canada and America sparring

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS9vdoX3Ju0

(Canada is Coleman)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My god :psyduck:

Bryan was infuriating and seemed to show no awareness of how UFC is actually booked.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

LordPants posted:

My god :psyduck:

Bryan was infuriating and seemed to show no awareness of how UFC is actually booked.
He seems to have corrupted Dave's opinion of UFC on Fox 2.

Dave: They have 3 fights where, ya know, they would very much prefer one guy to win. That's not good booking for a real sport, but that's the mentality.

Bryan a week later: If one guy gets a title shot with a win the other guy should too!

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

For someone whose MMA education is limited to .gif files, what's wrong with giving a shot to the guy who knocks off the number one contender?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

For someone whose MMA education is limited to .gif files, what's wrong with giving a shot to the guy who knocks off the number one contender?

Not much, really, aside from potentially less PPV $$$. UFC really wanted Cro Cop vs. Couture in '07 (almost certainly a big money match in what was then a godawful heavyweight division) before relative nobody Gabe Gonzaga ruined that.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
They both make some decent points but Todd was arguing how it is and Bryan was arguing how it should be.

Todd is more concerned with having money matches with guys being fed to big names to build a money fight, while Bryan was basically saying that every fight should be of equal importance to both men (it should). Bryan just doesn't know how to articulate his position very well and I'm not sure he was even listening to what Todd was saying once Todd mentioned :sports:.

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 18, 2011

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

Yeah Bryan's biggest problem is that even when he's right and he gets into a verbal debate he can't articulate his point at all and his metaphors are always terrible.

On a similar note, I am perplexed by Bryan's story about how he was "really into video games" between 6th and 8th grades and then claims that he matured into being all about sports after that when everyone in the world knows that Bryan knows nothing about sports. I guess I'll give him gymnastics since he teaches it but come on, who's he trying to fool? I don't mind that Bryan is a dork and doesn't watch sports but pretending to be all about video games and then all about sports before launching into how super mario brothers is the greatest video game of all time was just so :psyboom: on so many levels.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

So it sounds like I'm actually gonna have to listen to this Bryan/Todd exchange.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Bryan is the king of strawman arguments. So is Dave to some extent, but I think he realizes it where Bryan just throws them out there thinking he is accurately describing their opponent's position.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

So I listened for 25 minutes before giving up and going back to watching the Broncos lose.

Bryan trying to explain how the NFL works as far as "rankings" go was quite amusing, though.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 19, 2011

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MassRayPer posted:

Bryan is the king of strawman arguments. So is Dave to some extent, but I think he realizes it where Bryan just throws them out there thinking he is accurately describing their opponent's position.

But you know what is awesome?

Bryan watching a guy eat peas watching Raw.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

LordPants posted:

But you know what is awesome?

Bryan watching a guy eat peas watching Raw.

"Say something kid."

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
The way Dave casually said that DB won the title now so they wouldn't have to have him involved in a big match at Wrestlemania made me sad :smith:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

triplexpac posted:

The way Dave casually said that DB won the title now so they wouldn't have to have him involved in a big match at Wrestlemania made me sad :smith:

It makes me worry that they'll have him lose it at the Rumble so they can have a match between him and Michael Cole at Mania. :ohdear:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Gonzo McFee posted:

It makes me worry that they'll have him lose it at the Rumble so they can have a match between him and Michael Cole at Mania. :ohdear:

This would probably be the best thing for him. He'd get way more exposure than being another guy in "multiman match for guys without strong feuds" match.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I was just thinking about how a few months ago, Meltzer said he thought Vince only brought JR back to shut up everyone who was clamoring for his return. He'd bring back JR and make him out to be a fool until everyone gave up.

Well it worked on me, because JR is gone and I've given up on the idea of bringing him back

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

I was just thinking about how a few months ago, Meltzer said he thought Vince only brought JR back to shut up everyone who was clamoring for his return. He'd bring back JR and make him out to be a fool until everyone gave up.

Well it worked on me, because JR is gone and I've given up on the idea of bringing him back

Same here. At this point I want so little for him to come back and be humiliated again that I'm happy to leave him sitting at home, tweeting angrily and consuming vats of BBQ sauce.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

flashy_mcflash posted:

Same here. At this point I want so little for him to come back and be humiliated again that I'm happy to leave him sitting at home, tweeting angrily and consuming vats of BBQ sauce.

Yeah, Vince's bullshit isn't funny when he doesn't suffer an equally humiliating comeuppance. I hope JR has saved up enough money to tell him to get hosed and die if he ever comes calling again.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I never thought of this, but does WWE have part ownership of the BBQ sauce company? Enough of a controlling interest that JR can't tell them to get the gently caress?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

flashy_mcflash posted:

I never thought of this, but does WWE have part ownership of the BBQ sauce company? Enough of a controlling interest that JR can't tell them to get the gently caress?

I may be wrong, but I remember hearing that WWE helps JR out with distributing his product.

Frilled Lizard
May 22, 2004

WOOF WOOF WOOF
YOU KNOW IT

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm guessing Vince has nothing to do with JR's BBQ, but that's just an educated guess. JR's made enough comments about Vince and WWE not promoting it as well as he'd like, include one just last night:

Jim Ross posted:

Wonder why someone isn't using JR's products for DiBiase tailgates?

Edit: 'Nothing' meaning I don't think WWE is part owner, but JR just hammered out a deal to sell it on WWE's site.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

So it's not a licensed WWE product? I've never seen the sauce IRL but is there a WWE logo on the bottle?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

flashy_mcflash posted:

So it's not a licensed WWE product? I've never seen the sauce IRL but is there a WWE logo on the bottle?

Someone here bought some recently, so we just have to page whoever it was to this thread. Was it Karmine? Smashpro1?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I bought JR's jerky (made for an easy Christmas gift for a few friends to give them some Jim Ross jerky) through the WWE website. I don't recall seeing a single WWE logo on the jerky pack itself.

Frilled Lizard
May 22, 2004

WOOF WOOF WOOF
YOU KNOW IT
I got a bottle from Secret Xanta, there is no mention of WWE on it, no logos. Also, it says Distributed by JR's Family BBQ and has their URL.

It is delicious.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it seems really sinister how they gave him the title just to get him out of Mania. It really ties into what Meltzer said about why they give out titles based on "why they shouldn't" and Bryan getting the title just shows that they don't think there are any serious reasons why he shouldn't be champion, not that they think he's valuable.

See: Swagger, Jack. & Mizanin, Michael.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
So the Briscoes are gonna be on Figure 4 Daily tomorrow. This should be some good good radio coming up if it's anything like last year's Briscoes interview.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

flashy_mcflash posted:

My understanding is that JR owns the company and WWE has been the main distributor for the past few months. JR was running the mail order business out of his garage after the restaurant went down, so that's probably a major upgrade for him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LordPants posted:

Yeah it seems really sinister how they gave him the title just to get him out of Mania. It really ties into what Meltzer said about why they give out titles based on "why they shouldn't" and Bryan getting the title just shows that they don't think there are any serious reasons why he shouldn't be champion, not that they think he's valuable.

See: Swagger, Jack. & Mizanin, Michael.

The other issue is that they haven't quite gotten to the Russo stage of 'belts are just props'. They do seem to think giving a guy the title automatically makes him matter, but they've hosed with the belts so much that that isn't the case anymore. (Not that it was ever a concrete rule anyway, Rons Garvin and Simmons, anyone?)

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Dear Dave, take a loving day off next time.

quote:

--Want to thank Bryan last night. We have a family emergency and my son was in ICU and needed an emergency procedure done at midnight (he's out of the hospital now and doing fine, cross your fingers) and he didn't fall asleep until shortly after that so I didn't even get home until after 1 a.m. to watch Raw and Bryan stayed until 2:30 a.m. when we finally had to do the show since it was just getting ridiculous, and I hadn't had a chance to see the last 40 minutes or so. This week's issue may be one day late. We'll see. So anyway, after seeing the whole show, I thought it was really good.

From the daily update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Dave doesn't take day offs.

• Locked thread