Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Cast No Engine posted:

Just started the new episode and I'm pretty excited for just normal ol' Paul F. Tompkins, because him just being himself is like one of his best characters!

Jokes on you!

Has anyone been to Comedy Death Ray in L.A.? Is it just like CBB, but live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Cast No Engine posted:

Just started the new episode and I'm pretty excited for just normal ol' Paul F. Tompkins, because him just being himself is like one of his best characters!

His story of the first Christmas is amazing. I love when he has soem time as himself.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Oneiric posted:

Jokes on you!

No, it's a stand up show.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Oneiric posted:

Jokes on you!

This is one of the reasons they changed the name of the podcast, from what I understand. People were going to the show assuming it would pertty much just be a live version of the podcast, but it wasn't.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

This was a great episode :)

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

WoG posted:

...you mean...do I ever find myself...say...bakin' a plain cake?

I had the biggest, dumbest grin on my face at work when I heard that. :haw:

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

SpacePig posted:

This is one of the reasons they changed the name of the podcast, from what I understand. People were going to the show assuming it would pertty much just be a live version of the podcast, but it wasn't.

That's what I thought, but then they changed the name of stand up show too. So it's still confusing.

But you should go to comedy bang bang at the ucb. It's all the same people from the podcast world, but doing their day jobs (stand up). A lot of big names show up unannounced. It's mostly fun, and when someone sucks, they're only up there for 15 minutes or so.

And you can see a live Doug loves movies beforehand.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

wafflesnsegways posted:

That's what I thought, but then they changed the name of stand up show too. So it's still confusing.

I get the feeling that what went down was the Scottabot and BJ Porter founded Comedy Death Ray together, then Saucerman used the same name for his radio show that Porter didn't have anything to do with. When the radio show became the flagship program for a podcast network, a lawyer or somebody said "maybe its name should be something you actually own for yourself." There was maybe a falling out or something that necessitated changing the name of the live show too. COMEDY DRAMA.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
It wasn't a falling out, BJ just got busy and wasn't involved in producing the weekly standup show at all anymore, as far as I understand it. Everything got the name-change so Scott/Earwolf would be able to lay sole claim to all of it and not have to worry about any legal issues down the line.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Grant DaNasty posted:

It had the same effect on me. I loved it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

thirding

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I thought last weeks episode was funny as gently caress. Maybe just because I've seen enough Jennifer Tilly films that I thought her impression was hilarious. The games they played etc were good and all that jazz.

And yeah CBB/Death Ray in person is standup but its great because you'll get a few less known people and then you get a couple really well knowns always dropping in and its cheap as hell.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
this has been the best episode in a while :)

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Grant DaNasty posted:

I tend to listen to the podcasts while working out. So yeah that was awesomely awkward

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
Goddamn, bakin' a plain cake almost made me die in my car.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
Finally got around to listening to this week's show, and it was really great. Also, "Christopher Rock" was the first song I've heard from the Christmas CD that was any good :ohdear:

bazarov
Sep 28, 2005

Creflo Chronicle posted:

Finally got around to listening to this week's show, and it was really great. Also, "Christopher Rock" was the first song I've heard from the Christmas CD that was any good :ohdear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jWYinap7_E

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Was about to post that. It's totally awesome.

I got the Christmas compilation but I noticed that it doesn't have "Santa's got a big dick" on it. I think I'm ashamed that I kind of want it, in its glorious horribleness

And the best part about bakin' a plain cake was how completely lost PFT was at the beginning of the bit

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Some good news from twitter:

@ScottAukerman posted:

Quick question: Would anyone care if the @comedybangbang best of episode was around three hours long?

They're deciding if it should be three seperate one-hour eps released Dec 26, 27, 28th or to just have one big podcast :dance:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
With it being 3 hours, if the entirety of the Jack and Brian from the Lumberyard bit isn't in there, I will be sorely disappointed.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

SpacePig posted:

With it being 3 hours, if the entirety of the Jack and Brian from the Lumberyard bit isn't in there, I will be sorely disappointed.

ditto, although I was kind of hoping we'd be able to hear/watch the CBB Nativity special as a end of year thing/purchase. Guess I'm getting greedy.

I mean come on, look at this:

A ton of pics here for anyone interested.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

You just know all of that came straight out of Tompkins closet.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

plastered quack posted:

ditto, although I was kind of hoping we'd be able to hear/watch the CBB Nativity special as a end of year thing/purchase. Guess I'm getting greedy.

That would be such an incredibly difficult thing to put together what with how many comedians would be burning material for charity in addition to all the weird experimental poo poo I'm sure they probably wouldn't like laid down for all to see and judge them by.

Flying-Chip
May 2, 2004

What's the episode with Werner Herzog?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Flying-Chip posted:

What's the episode with Werner Herzog?
the latest PFT/Zach G episode

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The Christmas episode is pretty amazing go listen to it right now

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Harris is right, toothpicks ARE bullshit.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Flamazot posted:

The ending is especially amazing, if you're a fan of the CDRR days :3:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
They left no time for plugs so worst show ever.
Coocooricoo.

No Ticket
Jul 20, 2007
that was incredible. looked like a fool during my entire commute today

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Flamazot posted:

So amazing, I thought it was going to be an average show at first but it got great real quick.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Li'l Gary!

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

Li'l Gary!

He's the very definition of a character that works well in small doses. I remember the first podcast of Comedy Death Ray that I listened to had Little Gary on and a musical guest.

I didn't give it a chance for another several months.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
The christmas episode needed more Lil Gary and Bob Ducca. Christ I missed Bob.

Gooch
Oct 30, 2006

lil gary is a loving stupid character please don't give them any ideas on giving him more airtime. My 9 yr old nephew does the same bit, its not funny to anyone not even in an ironic way. If you think it's funny your brain is tricking you.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Oh my god. Dame Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber, Bill Cosby, Bob Ducca, Jesse Ventura, Chupacabra and motherfucking Huel Hauser all in the same room!

:swoon:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

CommunistMojo posted:

The christmas episode needed more Lil Gary and Bob Ducca. Christ I missed Bob.

Yeah it's nice to have Bob back in the mix. Although "Affirmation Nation" can be pretty funny sometimes, it's better to hear him bouncing off other people.

Gooch posted:

lil gary is a loving stupid character please don't give them any ideas on giving him more airtime. My 9 yr old nephew does the same bit, its not funny to anyone not even in an ironic way. If you think it's funny your brain is tricking you.

Oh, you're one of those people.

Gooch
Oct 30, 2006

I just smoked a joint and suddenly I'm thinking lil gary isn't so bad, the humor is in the absurdity I guess. Still not a big fan but oh well I can get over it.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
cbb has always been about the absurdity. if i smoked a weed and listened to it i might die, in real life, so happy to be drug free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
I laughed so hard I cried one time, I really try to avoid weed and CBB