Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Okay.. so who actually has a rewarding and happy accounting career? Like for all that I read about the rise and need of accountants, there's like the accountemps thread and other people talking about how they can't find any work, despite having passed the CPA exam and such.

What's the reason for the gap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004

Turkeybone posted:

Okay.. so who actually has a rewarding and happy accounting career? Like for all that I read about the rise and need of accountants, there's like the accountemps thread and other people talking about how they can't find any work, despite having passed the CPA exam and such.

What's the reason for the gap?

My experience comes from a Big 4 in MA, and I can confirm there is a need for (public) accountants but unfortunately for many people in this thread the need is more for experienced candidates. There is obviously a rigorous campus recruiting process each year, but new hires are only so useful in times when we need more staff. Experienced candidates are harder to find because there would need to be incentives to cause them to leave one public accounting firm for another, as well as for those in industry to come to public (usually after having spent some time in public previously and having left for specific reasons). I think for most people who say they are having trouble finding jobs right out of college or soon after, it is due to a lack of experience (no internship etc.) or because there isn't a lot of recruiting at their particular school.

In terms of it being happy and having a rewarding career, I would say I'm pretty happy. Of course, we all wish we made more money, especially with the hours we sometimes work, but in general I'm satisfied with my job and the way my career is progressing. I went into accounting not so much because I had a lifelong dream of being an auditor, but because I knew it would provide opportunities down the road. Even though I'm content at the moment, I see myself using my current position as a launching pad into something else in the next year or two - hopefully a gig in Advisory doing either forensic accounting or M&A consulting.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Creel posted:

I recently got a job but it's not really what I want. I want to change jobs, but I don't want to make any enemies by leaving so soon. The position I have isn't what I wanted, it's a highly specialized position that has no use outside of the Bank I work for($35,000/yr).
I may have an opportunity being an Assistant Controller for a machined parts manufacturer ($45,000/yr)and I want to go for it, but I'd hate to quit my job after just 4 months, the employer is HUGE in the community and I can just see every interview for the rest of my life "Oh wow, you worked at Bank XXXX, why did you leave so soon?"

Should I suck it up and just work for a year or so then head out or should I go now?

for reference: I've got 3 years as a bookkeeper for a law firm and have a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting. Studying for the CPA Exam and will take it in the summer time (Need 3 more credit hours in the spring time to be eligible).
$45,000 a year is pretty low for an assistant controller position. Sounds more like a Staff Accountant position just from the pay. Also, from what I've heard that accountants that have Law firm experience are pretty in demand.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Yeah, I'm the accountemps poster. I sort of screwed myself out of the campus recruiting process because I was waiting to see what my fiance would do about getting a fellowship or a corporate position (he's finishing up an emergency med residency), so I really just shot myself in the foot there. My program's career advisor isn't on the ball, either (still don't know anyone who got any offers or interviews through him), but the responsibility's really mine.

Aqualung
Oct 10, 2005

Don't worry guys, Ron knows the guy who drives the crane.

A little late, but congrats to all successful UFE writers!

forum id
Nov 9, 2009

by Fistgrrl
If you are boring enough to be a lawyer you are probably boring enough to be an accountant...but are you stupid and insipid enough? :smug: :troll: :lol:

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

forum id posted:

If you are boring enough to be a lawyer you are probably boring enough to be an accountant...but are you stupid and insipid enough? :smug: :troll: :lol:

Something goes wrong? Better bring in someone to identify the problem. Then bring someone in to fix said problem, which doesn't in fact get fixed so you have to bring in guy 2 again (who might have been wrong in the first place).

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
I'm currently an MIS major. At my university MIS and accounting majors share a couple of required classes. This results in me being able to get a double major in accounting with almost no extra time spent.

Is there a demand for MIS/Accounting majors? My main reason for doing it (besides being trivial investment time wise) is because I am fearful of the future and want to make sure I get a job.

SecurityManKillJoy
Sep 1, 2009
What are considered professional textbook or other sources if Kieso is only really equivalent to intermediate I and II (and also, what's equivalent to III then)? I've read through Wiley and FASAB as well, but I'm guessing the best source would be to get a FASBE subscription. Also what would be some good sources for business law?

SecurityManKillJoy fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Dec 15, 2011

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Tennis Ball posted:

I'm currently an MIS major. At my university MIS and accounting majors share a couple of required classes. This results in me being able to get a double major in accounting with almost no extra time spent.

Is there a demand for MIS/Accounting majors? My main reason for doing it (besides being trivial investment time wise) is because I am fearful of the future and want to make sure I get a job.

I asked about accounting and computer science earlier in this thread and was told there was a high demand, so it's likely that MIS is as well

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 16, 2011

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Would a finance minor be worth getting? I was looking through the other departments at my school and I can get a finance minor by taking essentially three extra classes. It seems like a no brainer, but maybe a minor wouldn't even mean anything (possibly for this reason haha).

yeah that is pretty much where I am too. I'm fairly sure I can graduate 2013 fall just with accounting, or I can do another semester and get the minor as well. Though if there is any chance of me not being able to graduate the fall anyway I'm definitely going to squeeze it in regardless.
VVVVVVV

abagofcheetos fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 16, 2011

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

abagofcheetos posted:

Would a finance minor be worth getting? I was looking through the other departments at my school and I can get a finance minor by taking essentially three extra classes. It seems like a no brainer, but maybe a minor wouldn't even mean anything (possibly for this reason haha).

I would definitely do that. It can't hurt, right? My college has a dual corporate accounting/finance major, as well as accounting major and finance major.

Strangely, they have an accounting minor but no finance minor... oh well! v:v:v

The last two posts seem so close to the situation I'm in. I can either graduate in fall 2012 with simply an accounting major, or:

1. Take a couple extra summer courses, still graduate fall 2012, and get a management minor
2. Take a an extra semester, graduate in spring 2013, with a double major in Accounting/MIS
3. Combine the last two and graduate with a double major in Accounting/MIS with a management minor.

It's probably not worth the extra semester to get the second major, but it's only five extra courses and will look at least slightly better on my resume, right?

Also, what are the chances of getting some sort of part time job as a tax clerk/assistant/whatever this spring once I finish my federal taxation winter course?

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 16, 2011

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Tennis Ball posted:

With a MIS/accounting major you'll be looking at IT audit work and SOX compliance things.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Harry posted:

With a MIS/accounting major you'll be looking at IT audit work and SOX compliance things.

I figured that is what I would be doing, but my question is more that, is there a large enough demand for that? Does it pay well? etc.

friendly gentleman
Jul 8, 2007

UH, THIS ISNT YOUR DOG IS IT

Tennis Ball posted:

I figured that is what I would be doing, but my question is more that, is there a large enough demand for that? Does it pay well? etc.

I do this for a Big 4 firm, it pays better than vanilla audit/tax.

Tennis Ball posted:

I say go for it. I'm assuming you know this much (having read this thread), but do consider the added challenge of an accounting major curriculum. Especially if it has been awhile since you took your accounting intro classes. Unless you've for whatever reason taken Intermediate accounting, some tax classes and auditing, I am skeptical on about the "no extra time spent". Accounting is pretty time consuming and demanding, with almost no overlap with other business majors.

friendly gentleman fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 16, 2011

Sukashi
Feb 13, 2006

the most fantastic monster employed at florsheim. potentially a homosexual
I'm going into my second busy season in Assurance. I've been wanting to switch to my firm's version of IT audit (SPA/Risk Assurance) after the end of busy season, but have been getting nonstop crap about how "everything I want to learn about [IT audit] can be done by working on audit engagements" or that "IT auditing in our engagements is slowly getting outsourced", or other non-responses like that.

The varying responses that I've gotten when I've asked a few people make me assume that they're either ignorant about what IT audit actually does, or answers provided are structured to not make me want to make the switch (to make staffing for engagements next year, however minimal, easier). Essentially what I've gathered on a high level is: auditing the accounting information systems/ERPs of a company to see if output data/reports can be relied upon for audit work on a specific engagement (i.e., reliance on IT general controls). I've obviously been asking the wrong people for advice, so could any goons that've worked in both Assurance/IT Audit actually provide a better, objective answer?

I'm almost done with my CPA exam (sitting for the last part in January), and I plan on studying for the CISA during busy season since it seems like an exam that takes nowhere as much of a time investment like the CPA. Hopefully this would help me make a case for considering a transfer out from Assurance?

Sukashi fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 16, 2011

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

friendly gentleman posted:

I do this for a Big 4 firm, it pays better than vanilla audit/tax.

I say go for it. I'm assuming you know this much (having read this thread), but do consider the added challenge of an accounting major curriculum. Especially if it has been awhile since you took your accounting intro classes. Unless you've for whatever reason taken Intermediate accounting, some tax classes and auditing, I am skeptical on about the "no extra time spent". Accounting is pretty time consuming and demanding, with almost no overlap with other business majors.

Its been one year since I took an accounting class, and it was honors and I made a B pretty easily while working near full time.

I didn't say no extra time, I said little extra time. At my college MIS and Accounting have some required classes that over lap, so I am already taking some of those. And by extra time, I meant the amount of extra semesters I would have to take. Right now as just an MIS major I have Spring of '13 and Fall of '13. If I add in accounting I have Spring '13, Fall '13, and Spring '14.

The MIS program is fairly easy, especially since I'm a nerd who has been messing with computers at differing levels since I was about 13. I realize it will be hard, but it seems the added pay off will probably be worth it, especially considering the current job market.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

Tennis Ball posted:

Its been one year since I took an accounting class, and it was honors and I made a B pretty easily while working near full time.

I didn't say no extra time, I said little extra time. At my college MIS and Accounting have some required classes that over lap, so I am already taking some of those. And by extra time, I meant the amount of extra semesters I would have to take. Right now as just an MIS major I have Spring of '13 and Fall of '13. If I add in accounting I have Spring '13, Fall '13, and Spring '14.

The MIS program is fairly easy, especially since I'm a nerd who has been messing with computers at differing levels since I was about 13. I realize it will be hard, but it seems the added pay off will probably be worth it, especially considering the current job market.

Looking back I would have also done the MIS/Accounting double major even if it was an extra year more. Just look at friendly gentleman, the man will make $2,000 more than me! Honestly, you would be doing yourself a favor not graduating with pure MIS. Also, depending on whether you want your CPA certification, those hours may count towards the 150 credit hour rule; you just need to check on what types of hours apply or whether any upcoming changes will affect it.

You should also be looking for an internship in the summer of 2013 (which means you get started looking in fall of 2012). I'm not sure which school you go to and how "prestigious" your accounting program is, so either a majority of the accounting firms are coming to you or you'll have to dig for a job.

hellboundburrito posted:

I think for most people who say they are having trouble finding jobs right out of college or soon after, it is due to a lack of experience (no internship etc.) or because there isn't a lot of recruiting at their particular school.

Pretty much this. Internship, internship, internship, preferably doing accounting. Also being involved with Accounting Club or volunteering for things such as tax preparation is a nice bonus. Just make sure you are able to articulate the things you have done if you do manage to score an interview.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

fuseshock posted:

Pretty much this. Internship, internship, internship, preferably doing accounting. Also being involved with Accounting Club or volunteering for things such as tax preparation is a nice bonus. Just make sure you are able to articulate the things you have done if you do manage to score an interview.

I have a a permanent MIS "internship" (See: job) right now. I'm pretty reluctant to leave since it pays pretty well and all of the experience is relevant to my degree (Not shoddy "make copies of these papers" type intern stuff.).

How bad of a position does that put me in?

Sukashi
Feb 13, 2006

Tennis Ball posted:

In for getting a job with the Big 4? As long as you're still in school, and you identify your current gig as an internship (and nothing more), it's anywhere from a non-issue to something that can help you as a candidate during interviews.

With regards to Big 4 recruiting, I find that more full-time candidates are getting rejected if they do not make a point in their interviews to get their 150 credits for CPA licensure. Not sure if you're going for that (or simply just the CISA route, or even better - both), but it's something to consider if you need to go to school an additional year while holding on to your current "permanent" internship.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Tennis Ball posted:

I have a a permanent MIS "internship" (See: job) right now. I'm pretty reluctant to leave since it pays pretty well and all of the experience is relevant to my degree (Not shoddy "make copies of these papers" type intern stuff.).

Most of the stuff you're doing now in this internship is probably the same as what you'd be doing with a MIS/accounting degree at a Big 4.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Any thoughts on my last post? I'd like to finish asap, but if adding a second major in MIS would improve my marketability, I'd do it.

Sukashi
Feb 13, 2006

Is your goal Big 4? If so, double-up with either a Finance or MIS major and in the meantime, keep your eyes out for internships/externships. Finance if you want to go Assurance/Tax, MIS if you want to be considered for IT auditing/SPA/ERS.

I can't stress enough about the importance of getting your 150 credits out of the way for CPA licensure; at my firm it is beginning to become a make/break factor for extending candidates internship/full-time offers - especially with the influx of Accounting majors these past few years.

EDIT: idk, I guess he could go management too! As long as he gets his credits somehow. v:shobon:v vvvv

Sukashi fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 19, 2011

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Why finance if he wants to go into tax?

I'd go with MIS< but I don't think it would make too huge a difference. Your main goal is to become a CPA candidate asap and then passing.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

Moneyball posted:

The last two posts seem so close to the situation I'm in. I can either graduate in fall 2012 with simply an accounting major, or:

1. Take a couple extra summer courses, still graduate fall 2012, and get a management minor
2. Take a an extra semester, graduate in spring 2013, with a double major in Accounting/MIS
3. Combine the last two and graduate with a double major in Accounting/MIS with a management minor.

It's probably not worth the extra semester to get the second major, but it's only five extra courses and will look at least slightly better on my resume, right?

Also, what are the chances of getting some sort of part time job as a tax clerk/assistant/whatever this spring once I finish my federal taxation winter course?

Take option 2, get 150 credit hours, be a CPA. MIS will be more useful than management. If you wanted management go get your MBA. With MIS, people might see you as computer literate and technical (PIVOT TABLES!!!)

Your chances for scoring a gig for spring or summer depend on what school you go to, what recruits at your school, your GPA, experience, and how you present yourself. Check with your school's careers website and try indeed.com or related sites.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I was under the impression that the next 30 hours had to be at the masters level.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Moneyball posted:

I was under the impression that the next 30 hours had to be at the masters level.

Each board of accountancy has different rules regarding how those hours are completed and the implications for the exam. I don't know what state you are located in-the avatar tells me Pennsylvania but I obviously don't know for sure-so check with you state board of accountancy

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Moneyball posted:

Go to your states CPA board and look at what the requirements are. If you can, find the actual application you'll be turning in. My state board seemed to keep things rather well hidden for whatever reason. I'm sure it's a YMMV type situation, but the application support team was very friendly and helpful when I emailed them.

Format C
Jul 26, 2007
This is an interesting thread and would like some input for those who have considered similar paths. For background, I have a B.S. in Business Administration with an emphasis in Computer Information Systems. Most of my jobs in college and a for a spell after graduation were I.T./networking types positions. A bit over two years ago I left an I.T. job and am now in accounts payable for the Department of Defense. Since I have been in this position I have taken 24 credit hours of accounting from a university with a satellite campus on base.

I am interested in forensic accounting or working for a smaller-firm/company. Would a Master's in Accounting from a state school be valuable, or should I shoot straight for the CPA? I know A.P. does not prepare me for a career in actual accounting, hence more schooling, but would proper study for the CPA be just as good as a year in school? Also, I have always wanted to teach and would consider the MPAcc if I could find a teaching position, even if only at a community college.

Edit: also, the school would be University of Washington, so recruiting from big companies could play a role to start off a career.

Format C fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 21, 2011

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
There's nothing wrong with getting a Masters if you feel like it, but employers don't really care about it other than the fact that it shows you have 150 hours and can sit for the exam.

rentilius
Apr 21, 2010

Sukashi posted:

In for getting a job with the Big 4? As long as you're still in school, and you identify your current gig as an internship (and nothing more), it's anywhere from a non-issue to something that can help you as a candidate during interviews.

With regards to Big 4 recruiting, I find that more full-time candidates are getting rejected if they do not make a point in their interviews to get their 150 credits for CPA licensure. Not sure if you're going for that (or simply just the CISA route, or even better - both), but it's something to consider if you need to go to school an additional year while holding on to your current "permanent" internship.

I just passed all 4 parts of the CPA exam, did volunteer work through VITA, have an internship done, and have all 150 credits, and I graduated with a 3.7. I know this might sound weird, but do you think that, since I graduated, my chances at getting into a big 4 have sailed away? I'm getting worried.

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004

rentilius posted:

I just passed all 4 parts of the CPA exam, did volunteer work through VITA, have an internship done, and have all 150 credits, and I graduated with a 3.7. I know this might sound weird, but do you think that, since I graduated, my chances at getting into a big 4 have sailed away? I'm getting worried.

I don't think they've sailed away, but you may have to be more independent and proactive in the application process. If you graduated somewhat recently (and maybe even if you haven't), you can probably still utilize your school's career services office, at the very least for some direction and contacts. Otherwise, all of the Big 4 have recruiting websites that you should look into, submit your resume to, and so on. If you have internship experience, 150 credits and the exam completed, you'll be a pretty attractive candidate for entry level positions.

quote:

This is an interesting thread and would like some input for those who have considered similar paths. For background, I have a B.S. in Business Administration with an emphasis in Computer Information Systems. Most of my jobs in college and a for a spell after graduation were I.T./networking types positions. A bit over two years ago I left an I.T. job and am now in accounts payable for the Department of Defense. Since I have been in this position I have taken 24 credit hours of accounting from a university with a satellite campus on base.

I am interested in forensic accounting or working for a smaller-firm/company. Would a Master's in Accounting from a state school be valuable, or should I shoot straight for the CPA? I know A.P. does not prepare me for a career in actual accounting, hence more schooling, but would proper study for the CPA be just as good as a year in school? Also, I have always wanted to teach and would consider the MPAcc if I could find a teaching position, even if only at a community college.

Edit: also, the school would be University of Washington, so recruiting from big companies could play a role to start off a career.

If you pursue the MSA, it won't be completely overlooked when you're applying for jobs but having the exam completed and 150 credits under your belt will be much more valuable. There are cheaper/quicker ways to get your 150 than an MSA and as other posters have said, it's not looked at as a huge asset but more as a way to get your required credits. I'm thinking the only way it would truly help you in the application process is because of the fact that your business concentration wasn't in accounting.

In terms of going into forensic accounting, in my experience the Big 4 usually prefers to hire people into that type of group after they have some previous experience (most often in audit). I would suggest doing what you need to do to get the credits and exam completed, then going into audit for a Big 4 or regional firm to get experience. Once you have the experience and a network, it will be easier to transfer into a group like forensic accounting but that's just my $.02.

hellboundburrito fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 23, 2011

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I posted earlier about going for an extra semester in an attempt to add a second major and graduate with a BS in Accounting and MIS, but I'm a little anxious to get out and start earning money and moving up. I'll be 28 before the end of spring semester, so I want to finish asap and start studying for my CPA.

Rather than get the MIS major, would getting into a high tech MBA program, such as this one at Northeastern ( http://www.cba.neu.edu/grad/high-tech-mba/ ) make me similarly marketable? It's either this or get a dual MBA/JD degree.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Just graduate, get a job, and study for the CPA. Don't get too far ahead of yourself now.

Also, the MBA/JD combo is pretty worthless.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I'm doing some operations work now :smith: which is insanely dull. If I pass my CPA exams, have the 150 credits, and am employed, will that make me an attractive prospect? I've not gotten much attention from recruiters; I know not having experience definitely hurts my chances, but it seems impossible to actually get experience (I want to go into auditing, but federal tax would be fine). I've already completed an MSA, and going back to school isn't really an option right now. I'm in the state association for CPAs, but they are pretty somnolent and there's nothing there for employment resources.

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 27, 2011

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004

RedTonic posted:

I'm doing some operations work now :smith: which is insanely dull. If I pass my CPA exams, have the 150 credits, and am employed, will that make me an attractive prospect? I've not gotten much attention from recruiters; I know not having experience definitely hurts my chances, but it seems impossible to actually get experience (I want to go into auditing, but federal tax would be fine). I've already completed an MSA, and going back to school isn't really an option right now. I'm in the state association for CPAs, but they are pretty somnolent and there's nothing there for employment resources.

It sounds like right now, your biggest barrier will be getting noticed by recruiters. I'd say you're about as an attractive candidate as a senior in college, because although many of them may have internships in accounting they will not have gotten their 150 credits yet, nor will they have passed the exam. I'm not sure how old you are or if you could still use your school's career services department (which would be one option) but you should be putting your resume on different firms' recruiting portals if you haven't already. Ideally, you would pass the exam and then you'd be an even more attractive candidate, but either way I think you would generate some interest for an entry level audit position. I know many people who have worked at my firm that came to us after working in a completely unrelated industry (it sounds like you're at least in the business world) but they got their MSA, had 150 credits and showed that they had a clear plan to pass the exam.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I'm working in the accounting department of a pretty big bank, though what I'm doing doesn't really require much of an accounting background (processing T&E). I'm saving up to be able to afford a review course without going into debt, and I'll reach that goal very soon (yay budgeting!). I'm still in contact with my school's career services department and use their jobs portal. I'm waiting to hear back about a recruiter from Grant Thornton, but I figure that ship sailed already.

Thanks, and I will definitely keep beating the track on this. Soon I'll be obsessing over the exams. :toot:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I replied to this ad looking for a tax preparer
http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/acc/2766816164.html

I'm doing a phone interview tomorrow and I'm a little concerned about the up front cost of books, kind of like paying up front to sell sets of knives.

It doesn't specify what company, I guess I'll just have to get more info tomorrow, I'm just wondering if it seems off to anyone.

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004

Moneyball posted:

I replied to this ad looking for a tax preparer
http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/acc/2766816164.html

I'm doing a phone interview tomorrow and I'm a little concerned about the up front cost of books, kind of like paying up front to sell sets of knives.

It doesn't specify what company, I guess I'll just have to get more info tomorrow, I'm just wondering if it seems off to anyone.

Hey, you're near me! In terms of the ad, I don't think it's unusual for there to be no company name, as most job ads I've seen on craiglist don't have the name of the company in them. As far as paying for books go, it could either be legitimate and they don't want to pay for materials for people they aren't (necessarily) going to hire or they could produce their own materials and this is just a way for them to earn supplemental income. As long as you are aware of what you're applying for (season tax preparer, think HR Block) and are fine with it, I'd say you should find out what the books cost and take it from there. Seasonal tax prep work isn't exactly glorious, but if you're just looking for some extra cash or some experience with tax work, it isn't a terrible idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Yeah, I remember you explaining yourself as working for a Boston area big 4 and you answered a lot of the questions I had, quite helpful.

I'm totally fine with some temporary, part time tax work. I've never done it before, but I'd like some relevant work experience since I haven't had an internship yet.

I also remember you saying that you had an internship lined up a year and a half in advance or something. That isn't the case for me, but I'm going to try to line one up for this summer when school gets back in session. And perhaps I can have this tax job counted as one.