Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Oh boy I got a couple questions again. I'm ready to jump on the GNex.

I'm on a family plan and I'm not the main line. First, I thought each line traditionally had a NE2 upgrade available, not just the primary account. Before NE2 was canned, I am 99% sure each line was eligible for its own NE2 upgrade so that each person could upgrade their phone with the discount.

The primary account upgraded their phone recently and the last remaining NE2 (so they say) was used so we don't have any more for the account, although I am 99% sure I had a NE2 good for my own line in upgrades.

Secondly I tried using that CH4GE "100$ off 3G to 4G" upgrade for Chicago and the lady denied me saying I am just ineligible, which is kinda weird because I'm upgrading to 4G and I'm in Chicago.

Can anyone illuminate if I should still have an NE2 and its something I should call back about, or if I'm mistaken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Not an Anthem posted:

Oh boy I got a couple questions again. I'm ready to jump on the GNex.

I'm on a family plan and I'm not the main line. First, I thought each line traditionally had a NE2 upgrade available, not just the primary account. Before NE2 was canned, I am 99% sure each line was eligible for its own NE2 upgrade so that each person could upgrade their phone with the discount.

The primary account upgraded their phone recently and the last remaining NE2 (so they say) was used so we don't have any more for the account, although I am 99% sure I had a NE2 good for my own line in upgrades.

Secondly I tried using that CH4GE "100$ off 3G to 4G" upgrade for Chicago and the lady denied me saying I am just ineligible, which is kinda weird because I'm upgrading to 4G and I'm in Chicago.

Can anyone illuminate if I should still have an NE2 and its something I should call back about, or if I'm mistaken?

If each line was eligible for a NE2 upgrade, you will have the $50 credit until you use it. Using one line's credit does not invalidate the other lines' credit. I've been told by two different people that the NE2 and CH4GE offer cannot be combined, but the way people have (seemingly) been getting around this is purchasing the phone on VZW's website for $249 and then calling once the transaction is complete to get the $100 off, bringing the total down to $149. If you just call VZW from the get-go, it will be $199 and your NE2 credit will not be used.

If you live in Chicago and don't currently have a 4G phone on the line you're trying to upgrade, you're eligible. If she told you you're ineligible, then she's either ignorant of the promotion or you don't live in Chicago. Call and talk to someone else.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Looks like the Bionic us getting a second significant update to data connectivity already.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/20/here-is-the-changelog-for-the-mystery-droid-bionic-5-9-901-update/

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Bloodplay it again posted:

If she told you you're ineligible, then she's either ignorant of the promotion or you don't live in Chicago. Call and talk to someone else.

She said she looked up any emails of that promotion to my phone number/account and that I didn't get the email for that promotion so I'm ineligible. She was really nice so I just said thanks but god what a jerk :(

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today

bull3964 posted:

Looks like the Bionic us getting a second significant update to data connectivity already.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/20/here-is-the-changelog-for-the-mystery-droid-bionic-5-9-901-update/

Ha! I'm sure everyone was clamoring for those visual voicemail and vz navigator fixes!

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Not an Anthem posted:

She said she looked up any emails of that promotion to my phone number/account and that I didn't get the email for that promotion so I'm ineligible. She was really nice so I just said thanks but god what a jerk :(

It's a mailing flyer, not an e-mail, unless in the past two days they have started sending out e-mails in addition to the flyer to stop promo abuse. I live in Illinois, but about three hours south of Chicago, and I didn't have any problems getting authorized for the promotion. I won't have the money to buy a new phone until Friday, so I haven't completed it, but I have talked to two different people and no one told me I was ineligible.

If you do talk to someone who tells you the $100 off is not a problem, ask them nicely to note the promotion in your account so you can call after using your NE2 upgrade and get it for $149. It looks like you need to call them anyway to clear up the NE2 credit situation, but if you find out you didn't have NE2 on the line, you should still be able to grab one for $199.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

My other question was the NE2- she said family plans only have one NE2 total, not NE2's for each line- is that BS too? I thought each line had an NE2 because I'd been planning on using mine for at least two years if not 2.5

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Every line gets its own NE2. Here's mine:

Notice the first three already used their upgrades and are available in 2013, the last two are available for upgrades.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Thanks. That lady sucked.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

NE2 doesn't refer to the "you get an upgrade every two years" system (which is indeed available to every line), but the (now-discontinued) promo under which the primary line on an account would get an extra discount ($30-100 depending on your plan) to use on that upgrade.

Basically, she was right that there's only one NE2-eligible line per family plan; it is (was) just really poorly named.

SLCGoth
Nov 8, 2009

Not an Anthem posted:

My other question was the NE2- she said family plans only have one NE2 total, not NE2's for each line- is that BS too? I thought each line had an NE2 because I'd been planning on using mine for at least two years if not 2.5

Unless you were on an Unlimited family share plan at one time, then it would have been possible to have multiple NE2 credits. However if you switched back to a non unlimited plan, the additional line NE2s would disappear.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

bull3964 posted:

I still haven't gotten 893 :(

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Woke up this morning to no 4G service on my Bionic. Switched over the 3G, called technical support, and was told that there's another nationwide outage occurring. This is like the 4th time since I became a customer in February that this has happened. Is this normal?

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Woke up this morning to no 4G service on my Bionic. Switched over the 3G, called technical support, and was told that there's another nationwide outage occurring. This is like the 4th time since I became a customer in February that this has happened. Is this normal?

4G LTE is a new and developing network. So, yes, it's normal for now. Good thing there's 3G to fall back on!

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

ModestMuse posted:

Good thing there's 3G to fall back on!

For some people, at least. A lot of us can't get anything at all this morning.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It seems like the network flips out a few days after they bring new markets online (which they just did the 15th.)

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Started the morning with 1x on my bolt, now at work with 3G which is fine. Not nearly as bad as past outages.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

If this pushes back the Droid 4 release I will cry a little. :(

May 1, 2008

ಠ_ಠ
Went to sleep with no signal, woke up with super weak 3g. Come on Verizon... :argh:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Like a lunatic I was flashing 4g and 3g radios all morning because I couldn't get me phone online for my life. I'd get 3g if I were lucky or 1x which I have never seen on this Thunderbolt since I got it, but it has been all day off and on in an area where I'd normally have full 4g service.

Local radio just reported outages from Verizon Wireless so I've been wasting my time :shobon:

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 21, 2011

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Yeah I thought my new nexus was hosed when I couldn't get any connection at all this morning. I guess its good to know it wasn't just me. I have 3g now but it is a really weak signal.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*
I'm back up on LTE (Chicago)

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
So what's the deal with the menu where you can switch between GSM/CDMA Auto to CDMA Auto?

I've had to use it a few times back when I first got my Bionic as the 4G signal (radio) would get stuck and a switch between the two would get it running again; the problem with my 4G radio has somehow since worked itself out. But, I thought that if 4G was down, then the GSM/CDMA Auto would then revert to the available 3G network. Whenever there's an outage, I have to change over to CDMA Auto to get a 3G connection.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My guess is that it has something to do with the info it gets from the towers. It may not be as simple as "phone detects LTE and uses LTE" the tower is likely handling part of that since there's potential handoff issues involved. If the tower is trying to handoff the connection to LTE, but LTE is down, the phone may have issues coping.

Just guesses though.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Penguissimo posted:

NE2 doesn't refer to the "you get an upgrade every two years" system (which is indeed available to every line), but the (now-discontinued) promo under which the primary line on an account would get an extra discount ($30-100 depending on your plan) to use on that upgrade.

Basically, she was right that there's only one NE2-eligible line per family plan; it is (was) just really poorly named.

Thank you, I wasn't understanding it right.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

dominator posted:

I'm back up on LTE (Chicago)

I'm still completely down in Houston, no LTE no CDMA. Just voice and SMS. :(

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Fine out here in the Bay Area and SF.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
No outages at all in LA, either.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Verizon is reporting all the issues are resolved. So, I would say if you are still having data issues, reboot your device and hopefully that'll be the end of it.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/21/verizon-confirms-lte-data-services-fully-restored-3g-never-affe/

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Not an Anthem posted:

Thank you, I wasn't understanding it right.

No problem! It doesn't sound like she was explaining it particularly well, either, so combined with the awkward naming in the first place, it's easy to end up with confusion like this.

My mother, when she first heard about the "end of NE2", was worried that she wouldn't ever be able to get another new phone. Verizon really hasn't done a good job with the marketing there.

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?
My mom is the account holder of our family plan and we are both overdue for upgrades from our original Motorola Droid phones. We're both looking at upgrading to the Galaxy Nexus and a 4G plan with Verizon and are in the Seattle area. I'm a bit better at negotiating than she is, can anyone offer some sage advice I can pass on to my mom when she's making this transition? We're currently on an unlimited data plan and my major uncertainty are the fees involved in the upgrade to the data.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Trane posted:

My mom is the account holder of our family plan and we are both overdue for upgrades from our original Motorola Droid phones. We're both looking at upgrading to the Galaxy Nexus and a 4G plan with Verizon and are in the Seattle area. I'm a bit better at negotiating than she is, can anyone offer some sage advice I can pass on to my mom when she's making this transition? We're currently on an unlimited data plan and my major uncertainty are the fees involved in the upgrade to the data.

There's no difference between 3G and 4G data, so there's no transition to speak of. Just make sure that the agent who activates the phone doesn't kick you off your grandfathered unlimited data and you shouldn't notice any difference on the billing end.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Penguissimo posted:

There's no difference between 3G and 4G data, so there's no transition to speak of. Just make sure that the agent who activates the phone doesn't kick you off your grandfathered unlimited data and you shouldn't notice any difference on the billing end.

I live in an area where 4G isn't in place yet. When it does eventually come here, will my phone (gnex) just connect to it automatically? No extra hoops to jump through?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Ericadia posted:

I live in an area where 4G isn't in place yet. When it does eventually come here, will my phone (gnex) just connect to it automatically? No extra hoops to jump through?

It should work like that, yeah. I didn't get a 4G phone until long after there was 4G here, but I'd imagine you'd want to make sure to set the phone to CMDA only (instead of CDMA/LTE) so it isn't constantly looking for a 4G signal until then. Hopefully someone who's been in that situation can speak more informedly on the topic, though.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Ericadia posted:

That is correct. There will be no extra hoops. As long as you keep the phone in CDMA-only to save battery you'll be fine. Once you get the word that LTE is finally available in your area you can toggle between 3G-only & Mixed CDMA/LTE at your leisure.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
In pa, just now, looks like the sim card authorization error is back again

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Is there a significant difference between the two 4G hotspot devices?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Roundboy posted:

In pa, just now, looks like the sim card authorization error is back again

I'm not having any issue in Pittsburgh.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

bull3964 posted:

I'm not having any issue in Pittsburgh.

It went away with reboot, but i thought we were done with all that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Kyrosiris posted:

If this pushes back the Droid 4 release I will cry a little. :(
I... I'm sorry, Kyrosiris.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/21/safe-to-assume-that-the-droid-4-is-not-launching-this-week/

• Locked thread