Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
Same here, not sure about the adaptiveness, but my real score was identical to what I got on the practice test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It's looking like a state school for undergrad is going to be the way I go - I dragged my feet (kind of) on applications for undergrad. While I'm sure I will walk out undergrad with a near 4.0 GPA, what I'm wondering is, if I crush the GMAT, will I have a shot at a top 10 program?

For reference I have been working in intelligence for the last 7+ years, 2 of which will have been working for private companies. I can put down some pretty impressive to read stuff on a resume, like supporting Sec. State Hillary Clinton, the US Ambassador to Iraq, etc. Nothing business related, however.

I guess what I'm asking is how bad a State School is going to cripple me in my chances of getting into a Top 10 program without corporate experience in between?

Rrail fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Dec 21, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Rrail posted:

It's looking like a state school for undergrad is going to be the way I go - I dragged my feet (kind of) on applications for undergrad. While I'm sure I will walk out undergrad with a near 4.0 GPA, what I'm wondering is, if I crush the GMAT, will I have a shot at a top 10 program?

For reference I have been working in intelligence for the last 7+ years, 2 of which will have been working for private companies. I can put down some pretty impressive to read stuff on a resume, like supporting Sec. State Hillary Clinton, the US Ambassador to Iraq, etc. Nothing business related, however.

I guess what I'm asking is how bad a State School is going to cripple me in my chances of getting into a Top 10 program without corporate experience in between?

State schools vary greatly. What state school are you talking about?

flyingfoggy
Jun 3, 2006

My fellow Obamas...

Rrail posted:

Here's a interesting series of articles from an admissions consultant judging how likely people are to get into certain programs. You might be able to get a better picture after reading through these.

http://poetsandquants.com/2011/06/23/handicapping-your-shot-at-a-top-school/

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Just got back from my GMAT test, got a 640.

My dream school was UT Austin, did I just shoot myself in the foot?

Undergrad was Computer Science, GPA was a 3.2, 5 years work experience as a software engineer / consultant.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Thoguh posted:

State schools vary greatly. What state school are you talking about?

I'm getting everything together to apply to quite a few of them (as a transfer), amongst them is Michigan-Ann Arbor, Washington, Virginia, UT-Austin, North Carolina, etc. My understanding is that, given my background, I should have little trouble getting into just about any state school. I am all new to this school thing though, please excuse me if I come off as ignorant.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

flyingfoggy posted:

Here's a interesting series of articles from an admissions consultant judging how likely people are to get into certain programs. You might be able to get a better picture after reading through these.

Awesome article. Ms. First Generation is really close to me (or what I expect), and seeing the chances of getting into HBS/Booth/Wharton make me shake with excitement. Though I am not a financial analyst, I'm an intelligence analyst. Not sure how they will weigh that.

Rrail fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Dec 22, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Rrail posted:

I'm getting everything together to apply to quite a few of them (as a transfer), amongst them is Michigan-Ann Arbor, Washington, Virginia, UT-Austin, North Carolina, etc. My understanding is that, given my background, I should have little trouble getting into just about any state school. I am all new to this school thing though, please excuse me if I come off as ignorant.

Just that there isn't a strict State School = horrible, Private School = awesome divide. To take an example from your list there - Michigan, Texas, and North Carolina are all great schools to get your MBA from. Michigan in particular is one of the top business schools out there, public or private.

And for undergrad the point still holds. Lots of public, state institutions are highly regarded. Nobody is going to throw away a resume because someone got their degree from a school like Michigan or other highly ranked public school. What are you planning on majoring in?

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 22, 2011

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

Rrail posted:

Bear in mind that all the numbers in that article are completely made up by someone with a vested financial interest in convincing people just like you that their chances of getting into business school are better than they are. Not saying I think you don't have a good shot, but you shouldn't place more weight on that article than you would on, say, wild speculation from posters in this thread.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Rrail posted:

For general undergrad, the U of Virginia is consistently ranked as one of the top 25 schools in the country, ahead of a lot of private schools except the absolute cream of the crop. I wouldn't worry too much about that, or any of the others on your list.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

flyingfoggy posted:

Thanks for the link, gives me a lot to think about...

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Rrail posted:

I don't want to rain on your parade but you did mention excusing ignorance; those are all the top state schools (you're missing Cal and UCLA btw) that are gung ho on accepting in-state residents as transfers. I'm not saying you have no shot as an out-of-state person with great grades but "little trouble" is not correct.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

sigmachiev posted:

I don't want to rain on your parade but you did mention excusing ignorance; those are all the top state schools (you're missing Cal and UCLA btw) that are gung ho on accepting in-state residents as transfers. I'm not saying you have no shot as an out-of-state person with great grades but "little trouble" is not correct.

Well, I'm from the Seattle area so I would be just super pumped to get into UW Seattle.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

sigmachiev posted:

The military aspect should help tremendously in that respect. He's free money for those schools and they know it.

I'm curious how terribly a 3.2 from Florida State in the humanities is going to gently caress me when I apply to a decent program.

I'll have four years of military experience as a weather forecaster using complex model data to form a cohesive picture for a variety of customers including the Vice President. I'll also have at least a year managing a team of 17 others doing forecasting and resource protection across 10 countries with a little over $10 billion in military assets and ~30k personnel.

Assuming I get something near a 700-720 GMAT how badly is the crappy school GPA going to hurt me?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Relentlessboredomm posted:

The military aspect should help tremendously in that respect. He's free money for those schools and they know it.

I'm curious how terribly a 3.2 from Florida State in the humanities is going to gently caress me when I apply to a decent program.

I'll have four years of military experience as a weather forecaster using complex model data to form a cohesive picture for a variety of customers including the Vice President. I'll also have at least a year managing a team of 17 others doing forecasting and resource protection across 10 countries with a little over $10 billion in military assets and ~30k personnel.

Assuming I get something near a 700-720 GMAT how badly is the crappy school GPA going to hurt me?

It won't hurt you at all if you get a good GMAT. Your work experience sounds awesome.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Tyro posted:

It won't hurt you at all if you get a good GMAT. Your work experience sounds awesome.

Really? It's so difficult to judge how military experience will translate to the private sector. I can't tell if it's good enough to even be worth applying early admission at Duke as my reach school or if I need to set my sights much much lower.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

zmcnulty posted:

Thanks for the link, gives me a lot to think about...

Agreed - regretting that GPA now.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Really? It's so difficult to judge how military experience will translate to the private sector. I can't tell if it's good enough to even be worth applying early admission at Duke as my reach school or if I need to set my sights much much lower.

I have no actual experience, just research but from what I've read I think the trick is phrasing military experience in a way that business people can appreciate. Like your description seemed very good and hits the right notes, but someone else describing the job may not phrase it so well and come across as weaker. Its that 30 second elevator pitch thing.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Rrail posted:

Well, I'm from the Seattle area so I would be just super pumped to get into UW Seattle.

Cool, and that'll help a lot that you have WA residency. The other schools will be tougher (I assume you don't have residency in like 5 different states). But I didn't want to imply you shouldn't apply or whatever, definitely do so if it's not too expensive. FWIW one of my good friends at Foster (UW's B School) during undergrad got around a 3.6, had a 710 GMAT, and got into Columbia, MIT, LSE and Tuck. So strong MBA options out of UW without tippy top numbers (but on top of good work experience and clubs/activities).

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I was going to apply to about ~10 schools, just because I am new to this whole thing and don't have a frame of reference, and if I fail to get into a good school that means another round of overseas contracting and I just can't take that. :)

I'm curious why your friend chose Foster since a) LSE and Columbia are better schools to my knowledge and b) I was under the impression that going to the same institution for b-school and undergrad was not generally advisable unless it was like Stanford or Harvard or something.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Rrail posted:

I was going to apply to about ~10 schools, just because I am new to this whole thing and don't have a frame of reference, and if I fail to get into a good school that means another round of overseas contracting and I just can't take that. :)

Break it up by round so you'll probably have at least one acceptance before you get to the third round schools. So in the first round you could do one safety school and then a mid tier and a reach, repeat for the second, and by the time the third round rolls around you should know where you're going and most likely won't need to apply elsewhere.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Will admissions take into account GPA trends? I have a 2.7 undergrad GPA which is really, really depressing and terrible but it's due to me doing lovely as a Biology major (and being a lazy freshman/sophomore) before switching to Economics. My Econ major GPA is like a 3.6, is there a way to emphasize this trend in the application or do I just have to hope that admissions will find it on it's own and not trash my application the second they see the GPA?

SecurityManKillJoy
Sep 1, 2009
I'm not anywhere near the point of getting a Master's like this, but for average or slightly worse GPA I might emphasize what the standard of deviation in the grades is. On the college level, people can have strengths and weaknesses in subject matter, which can create a high grade spread, so I would talk about the diversity of classes you took but you realized the biology classes just weren't your strength.

From what I've read and heard, work experience, being able to explain one's education and so on should be able to make up for an average or slightly worse GPA for most applications. In one sense, GPA might be initially looked at all by itself no matter the standard of deviation, but if it's not because of being mediocre in every class, one can talk about having fully explored one's abilities. I'm in a similar GPA position and this is how I would play it. I'd also possibly mention good projects/papers and how they helped you give skills for understanding business, etc.

I'm sure someone could say otherwise, and after all I don't have direct experience in this. However this would be my feeling, but I can see how schools would just look at raw GPA and end it right there, without regards to standard of deviation or anything.

SecurityManKillJoy fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 7, 2012

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Start my last semester tonight. Capstone class during the semester than an international trip in April to close things out. Feels good man.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Rrail posted:

I'm curious why your friend chose Foster since a) LSE and Columbia are better schools to my knowledge and b) I was under the impression that going to the same institution for b-school and undergrad was not generally advisable unless it was like Stanford or Harvard or something.

I said he was at UW Business for undergrad. It's one of those schools with both undergrad and grad programs (think Wharton, Haas, etc.). He chose Columbia for his MBA. As for doing an MBA at the same place you got a BA or BS, I suppose it would depend more on the applicant's situation as to whether it's a good idea or not. For example, if you had a good gig you plan to keep in say, Los Angeles, and you wanted to stay around town anyway, why go to the East Coast even though you did undergrad at UCLA?

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Are there any people here working here in Europe? I'm an American and I applied and got into a business program here in France. I am actually finishing it quite soon and have to do an internship before I officially finish. The internship is usually your foot in the door with a job but I am really starting to wonder where I want to live and where there is a lot of career opportunity.

I study marketing, I am not big on marketing research but I find marketing pretty interesting. I am really torn about going back to America, staying in France or maybe moving to another European country (I did live in Berlin for a year for an exchange year during my junior year of undergrad). Anyone with some insight on this?

The school I am in actually a quite a good school, its top 10 in France and top 30 in all of Europe accredited here and in the US, so I can be pretty flexible..

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 2, 2012

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
HEC? INSEAD? Congrats, either way!

oye como va
Oct 25, 2005
:slick:

Thoguh posted:

Start my last semester tonight. Capstone class during the semester than an international trip in April to close things out. Feels good man.

Congrats! I've got two more quarters and a study abroad trip left as well. Where you guys going? We're going to Buenos Aires and Rio.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

oye como va posted:

Congrats! I've got two more quarters and a study abroad trip left as well. Where you guys going? We're going to Buenos Aires and Rio.

Frankfurt and Munich. They went to Buenes Aires this winter but I wasn't able to make it work with my schedule. I heard nothing but good things from the people who did though go. I guess I finally get to try out some of that German I learned in High School over a decade ago.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I am in the process of applying to various MBA programs for fall admission but am scared to death about taking out more loans. I have about 40K in undergraduate loans still outstanding and the idea of putting more on top of that is just discouraging. As a general consensus: how does everyone plan to pay for their MBA?

I want to focus in accountancy. I have passed the CPA Exam, been promoted to the number three spot in my accounting department (out of nine), spoke at a conference this past fall, and am very interested in AIS (former computer science major). I think it would be great to get involved more in the IS side of things and having a Masters would be great to promote my credentials, I feel.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

19 o'clock posted:

As a general consensus: how does everyone plan to pay for their MBA?

As an MBA with like 80 grand in loans left, I take community college classes online so I can count as a student and defer the loans until I want to start paying $800+ a month.

The Obama administration is putting out some income-based repayment thing. As a result, it means my putting this poo poo off for years is one of the smartest financial choices I have ever made.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Arcaeris posted:

As an MBA with like 80 grand in loans left, I take community college classes online so I can count as a student and defer the loans until I want to start paying $800+ a month.

The Obama administration is putting out some income-based repayment thing. As a result, it means my putting this poo poo off for years is one of the smartest financial choices I have ever made.

That's what I was thinking. I thought..."Hey, I can take CC classes and pay less than my monthly student loan payments would cost..." I guess I want to avoid this situation for obvious reasons, but at least I know I'm not the first to encounter it. Gotta figure this poo poo out...

Too bad I am very white and very much not-under-privileged. gently caress my generic-self.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Arcaeris posted:

IBR has been around for months and months

http://ibrinfo.org/

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

pram posted:

IBR has been around for months and months

http://ibrinfo.org/

I refinanced earlier on (when dumb) into the type of loans that are only available for the deal as of this year. That's my understanding of it, anyway.

Format C
Jul 26, 2007
I've been invited to an "Evaluation Day" for a part-time MBA program. This is where a hundred or so applicants get broken into groups and try to show more managerial potential than the others while being evaluated. It replaces the standard interview and is split up into 45 or 60 minute sections of introductions, case discussions, team consensus, and a Q&A/debrief at the end. There are fifteen minute breaks between each section.

I am already a bit nervous. I don't think there should be any secret to success here, just be genuine, a team player, talk to people during breaks, that sort of thing. Has anybody done this sort of thing before?

Hired_Sellout
Aug 16, 2010
Any tips on the internship search? I'm about three weeks in to my second semester at Johns Hopkins and I feel like I'm relying too much on our career services office to direct my efforts.

Swingline
Jul 20, 2008

Hired_Sellout posted:

Any tips on the internship search? I'm about three weeks in to my second semester at Johns Hopkins and I feel like I'm relying too much on our career services office to direct my efforts.

There are networking guides out there but in general building a good enough relationship to get someone to recommend you for a first round takes a few months. Can't hurt to try though, starting with cold emailing alumni at firms you want to work for and requesting informational interviews/phone calls.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Enigma89 posted:

Are there any people here working here in Europe? I'm an American and I applied and got into a business program here in France. I am actually finishing it quite soon and have to do an internship before I officially finish. The internship is usually your foot in the door with a job but I am really starting to wonder where I want to live and where there is a lot of career opportunity.

I study marketing, I am not big on marketing research but I find marketing pretty interesting. I am really torn about going back to America, staying in France or maybe moving to another European country (I did live in Berlin for a year for an exchange year during my junior year of undergrad). Anyone with some insight on this?

The school I am in actually a quite a good school, its top 10 in France and top 30 in all of Europe accredited here and in the US, so I can be pretty flexible..

How did you like your MBA experience in France? I'm also an American and I've been working in Paris for almost 6 months now. I've been toying with the idea of going back to school and I'd like to continue working/living in Paris (or internationally).

Did you find it difficult to get in and what was your/your classmate's backgrounds?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Arcaeris posted:

Sorry for the bump, but I am still curious. How are others in this thread funding their MBA? I am looking at this route, too, and was wondering if maybe I should do something different? I still have undergrad debt remaining and am reticent to put any more on top of it. How do others feel about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Study hard kids.

http://poetsandquants.com/2012/02/09/tuck-mba-reports-863k-pay-package/