Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

TheBigBad posted:

Play video games all you want, just don't waste meds on them. Video games are hyper-stimulating, so they activate the frontal lobe already. If you plan on playing them (heh... impossible before now eh?) then you can lay off the ritalin during that window. You'll probably start finding them boring beyond appreciation for the art form and will want to do things that are more constructive naturally.

It's funny you mention this because, for me, it's been true. Once I started regularly taking my medication, my interest in playing video games has taken a nosedive. With the meds helping me focus, it's a like a whole new world of hobbies and interests are opened up to me.

Today, I was brewing up some beer and instead of blasting death metal or something in the background, I actually loaded up the audio edition of The Economist instead. A news broadcast?! Never would've happened in the past! In general, I never thought I was a reader. Until I got diagnosed. Now instead of firing up a video game, I'll actually read instead.

I literally cannot remember the last time I fired up my Xbox!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
The caffeine thing reminds me, do I have to worry about alcohol with most ADD meds? I'm not starting them till next week, but the bupropion I've been on knocks me the gently caress out when I have just a single glass of wine which really sucks.

E: And I'm not exactly sure what my doc will start me on first, and I should probably ask her about it anyways but goon anecdotes are always good!

taylor
Nov 21, 2004

GenericOverusedName posted:

The caffeine thing reminds me, do I have to worry about alcohol with most ADD meds? I'm not starting them till next week, but the bupropion I've been on knocks me the gently caress out when I have just a single glass of wine which really sucks.

E: And I'm not exactly sure what my doc will start me on first, and I should probably ask her about it anyways but goon anecdotes are always good!
I never had any issues with alcohol when combined with either amphetamines like Adderall or with Concerta/Ritalin/methylphenidate. The latter turns into ethylphenidate if you drink, but as far as I can tell it makes no noticeable difference. Plus, you'll generally be drinking at times when most of the ritalin/adderall is out of your body anyways.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Dolemite posted:

It's funny you mention this because, for me, it's been true. Once I started regularly taking my medication, my interest in playing video games has taken a nosedive. With the meds helping me focus, it's a like a whole new world of hobbies and interests are opened up to me.

Today, I was brewing up some beer and instead of blasting death metal or something in the background, I actually loaded up the audio edition of The Economist instead. A news broadcast?! Never would've happened in the past! In general, I never thought I was a reader. Until I got diagnosed. Now instead of firing up a video game, I'll actually read instead.

I literally cannot remember the last time I fired up my Xbox!

Yeah this is one of the best things about getting my ADHD under control. I have a shitload of systems and I had always been a big pc gamer too, but once I got my poo poo under control I just sorta... stopped. Now I'd rather read a book, or go outside, or work on my car/motorcycle/bicycle, or do housework. It's awesome.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
I've been struggling lately with my ADHD. Better than pre-meds still but not as good as I can be. It seems to get worse before it rains or snows, just like how my arthritis acts up 2-3 days before until it actually rains/snows. It's kind of weird but my wife is the same way. I'd been unable to sleep at my scheduled time for 2 days and now I'm sick so my ADD is really bad with or without meds so no point taking it today. It has been so bad, "losing" the remote when it was right by me the whole time, losi g my phone constantly, can't remember poo poo. It's worse because I know how I can and should be now. Well gotta chase after my nose...

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
That honestly sounds more like weather-related depression making everything worse. People are more prone to being depressed when its overcast or rainy arent they? Maybe a vitamin D supplement would help that out?

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

2508084 posted:

Maybe a vitamin D supplement would help that out?

No, not likely. But if it is weather-related depression (Seasonal Affective Disorder), bright light therapy might be helpful. Of course, Wartime Consigliere, a chat with your psychiatrist would probably be best before starting any new treatment.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Wartime Consigliere posted:

I've been struggling lately with my ADHD. Better than pre-meds still but not as good as I can be. It seems to get worse before it rains or snows, just like how my arthritis acts up 2-3 days before until it actually rains/snows. It's kind of weird but my wife is the same way. I'd been unable to sleep at my scheduled time for 2 days and now I'm sick so my ADD is really bad with or without meds so no point taking it today. It has been so bad, "losing" the remote when it was right by me the whole time, losi g my phone constantly, can't remember poo poo. It's worse because I know how I can and should be now. Well gotta chase after my nose...

How much are you exercising?

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
The pressure drop before bad weather may be responsible, which (I think) would be different from SAD

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 18, 2012

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Hamburglar posted:

I am currently taking Concerta, and I absolutely loved it for the first 2 or 3 months, but now it does not seem to be working as well as it used to. Unfortunately, this is the case for every stimulant I've tried so far (Adderall, Vyvanse, and now Concerta). They do their job and they do it well for a while, then it's not as effective, so the doctor raises the dose, repeat until the maximum is reach and that doesn't work for me any longer.

Am I just getting too tolerant to it? The worst now especially is night time because the meds wear off by then and I'm laying in bed at 11PM with thoughts racing and being fidgety as poo poo thinking "HEY I SHOULD GO BUILD A COMPUTER RIGHT NOW EVEN THOUGH I'M DOG TIRED AND HAVE TO BE UP AT 5 AM".

Am I doomed to having to rotate different stimulants every few months until I die? Or is there another stimulant someone here would recommend?

You should be using the 'active' time as a period where you combine cognitive therapy and a period in which to build habits. Simply taking a magic pill isn't a long term solution.

A few of us take med vacations, some work them into their weekly routine, i.e. don't take the meds on the weekends. Others like myself, work in vacations that coincide with responsibilities. i.e. during the semester when I have structure I don't take my meds, but when I'm on summer/winter break I take them.

As mentioned two posts up- regular exercise is pretty essential despite how much it sucks to get into.

Another thing worth mentioning is that even though you notice them more in first 2-3 months, they are probably working anyway and the bad habits you've developed over a lifetime are probably setting back in. Taking a med vacation may demonstrate enough of a difference between functional on meds vs in the wild ADHD.

In short- you have to work at managing it because pill hopping is only going to last so long.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
It's not so much when it's raining as it is before. Like with arthritis how my bones will hurt a lot and I'll say I bet it's gonna rain in a few days. Then once it does rain I get some relief.

I am thinking I just needed to correct myself and get back into my habits I developed and a routine is essential. Being sick didnt help, but it was still mostly due to me and choosing the right options for what to use my energy and focus on. I have to constantly remind myself that I am personally responsible for how well I am doing and it helps to keep me motivated and doing well. As long as I do it. But it's mostly better than worse and I'll keep working at it. A crutch is pretty useless if you try to use it as a fork.

blueblaze
Jul 31, 2006
Came up with some questions just now. If ADD is basically a dysfunction of executive functioning then can these abilities be improved through training or exercises?

Where do you draw the line between someone who has ADD and someone who doesn't when each person will benefit from adderall as a study drug? I mean, do stimulants like adderall only improve focus for a short period of time for non-add'ers but has a more pronounced effect across all executive functions for those with ADD? The thing that's never sat right with me is how a drug like adderall can work on everyone in boosting focus so you can't even be sure if you really have ADD or not. I don't know if that makes sense.

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
Yeah it's annoying, just because you can't say "I have ADHD" without putting yourself in a worse position than you already were when someone is scolding you for continually not finishing things, forgetting things, etc.
I don't really care whether I ultimately 'have' it or not, I just care that no one else will ever think I do.

Stimulants don't fix the root of ADHD at all (whatever it may be, genes, something in your past, diet), they're just like a fake limb for a paraplegic.
Then again, fake limbs are faster than normal ones at least in some situations ;)

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

blueblaze posted:

Came up with some questions just now. If ADD is basically a dysfunction of executive functioning then can these abilities be improved through training or exercises?

Where do you draw the line between someone who has ADD and someone who doesn't when each person will benefit from adderall as a study drug? I mean, do stimulants like adderall only improve focus for a short period of time for non-add'ers but has a more pronounced effect across all executive functions for those with ADD? The thing that's never sat right with me is how a drug like adderall can work on everyone in boosting focus so you can't even be sure if you really have ADD or not. I don't know if that makes sense.

From what I know, if someone wasn't taught language skills properly early in life then they will always have language problems no matter how much effort you put into it. I've met some people who were never taught math and honestly have issues with just the idea of how 4+6=10, no matter how many times you explain it to them (or that 30 is bigger than 3). Same with the adhd stuff.

ummm, I'm not sure if you've read the thread but taking stimulants for ADHD produces entirely different effects than people without it who take them. The stimulants are used to boost up the part of the brain which is "damaged" by ADHD so it operates on a more "normal" level. If you take a stimulant and don't have ADHD then you'll just get wired and high. Or are you asking in the way people go "well glasses make me see better but it feels like cheating since anyone could wear them to see better, so how do you know if you really have bad eyesight?"

taylor
Nov 21, 2004

blueblaze posted:

(1) Came up with some questions just now. If ADD is basically a dysfunction of executive functioning then can these abilities be improved through training or exercises?

(2) Where do you draw the line between someone who has ADD and someone who doesn't when each person will benefit from adderall as a study drug?

(3) I mean, do stimulants like adderall only improve focus for a short period of time for non-add'ers but has a more pronounced effect across all executive functions for those with ADD?
1 - It can be. Strenuous exercise in general improves executive function. Of course, it is rarely sufficient to treat ADHD symptoms when they are at a clinical level.

2 - Generally the line is drawn when it produces significant distress and significantly interferes with functioning at home, work or school. And, in addition, this has to be caused by a difficulty in maintaining focus or some similar attention issue, rather than some other illness or cause.

3 - They generally have similar effects, despite what is sometimes claimed. There is no single common characteristic in the brain other than a difficulty concentrating that is found among people who take stimulants for ADHD. It is not even close to true that unless you really have ADHD, Adderall will not help you focus. Maybe people without ADHD have lower dosages where it's most effective.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 18, 2012

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

Hamburglar posted:

Thanks for the help. I'd really love to get into cognitive therapy but my insurance only covers a whopping 8 visits with a doctor.

I'd take off on weekends but the hell with that, that's when I want to be normal the most. I'd rather be normal when I'm hanging out with my wife, trying to enjoy a movie or a dinner or a sunset, rather than when I'm at work or whatever. I'm also a depressed/moody bastard when my ADHD is fierce; again, a trait I'd rather not have around friends or in situations that I'm supposed to enjoy.

:sigh:

You'll figure out what works best for you. Try out a few things and see how they go. The good news is being normal is an option you have now.

I hate when my meds wear off and I revert to saying the wrong words. Like they will start with the same letter or be similar in some way but different in meaning. Saying Advil instead of Asprin would be a minor example that still makes a little difference. At least they are similar. I wonder how many times I've done it but not noticed when talking to people.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
Guess what? Ritalin shortage :buddy:

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

2508084 posted:

Guess what? Ritalin shortage :buddy:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo...........

At least I see my Doc on the 5th, where we discuss my dosage. I have a feeling it's going to be increased for the Metadate.

I wonder how much of this shortage is a genuine manufacturing shortage of the drug, and how much of it is previous Adderall takers being switched to other meds.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Qu Appelle posted:

and how much of it is previous Adderall takers being switched to other meds.
I'm assuming it's this right here. I dropped off my script a couple days before christmas, was told they would have it filled by last Wednesday. I got down there today and the pharmacist said he might be able to get me three pills tomorrow.

Three pills. Are you serious. :psyduck:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Thank the government

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
Call every pharmacy you can, they'll sigh and/or treat you like a junkie criminal but 20 of those interactions later and you might find it. Try smaller pharmacies, CVS or Walgreens hasn't had it at all but the small local ones have here and there or even Target pharmacy. Turns out the new year doesn't automatically fix the problem. I have found a pharmacy that has had Adderall in stock throughout the whole shortage, just wish it wasn't 100 miles away.

Wartime Consigliere fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 4, 2012

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Call every pharmacy you can, they'll sigh and/or treat you like a junkie criminal but 20 of those interactions later and you might find it. Try smaller pharmacies, CVS or Walgreens hasn't had it at all but the small local ones have here and there or even Target pharmacy. Turns out the new year doesn't automatically fix the problem. I have found a pharmacy that has had Adderall in stock throughout the whole shortage, just wish it wasn't 100 miles away.
I can't afford what other pharmacies are charging. I checked, trust me.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
I feel your pain - in my area, we STILL have an Adderall shortage! I thought places would be able to get the stuff by January.

Seconding the try smaller pharmacies suggestion. I found a little mom-and-pop shop that is only open during normal business hours. They're also understanding about what ADDers are going through. The pharmacist there is actively working with my doc to rewrite my prescription in a way that they can fill it with the strengths they have in stock.

But, the guy said they haven't been able to get meds for weeks! At least this time, I was smart enough to have them try to fill the prescription two weeks ahead of time before I run out.

It's not fair to hate 'normal' people, but the fact that normal people abusing this drug and making it hard for ME to legitimately get it makes me mad! :(

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
My usual mom-and-pop pharmacy cannot stock my desoxyn, which they usually order for me because I'm one of the only people in my city on it (might be the only one, who knows). The pharmacist says his suppliers all are out of stock and have "absolutely no idea" when it will be available again.

I have been on these meds for TWENTY YEARS. How the gently caress can they just say "oops sorry, no more of this stuff for a while"? It makes me genuinely worried that at some point in the future the DEA might just say "no more, ever."

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

It makes me genuinely worried that at some point in the future the DEA might just say "no more, ever."

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks this. :smith:

---

While on the gently caress the system tip, gently caress psychiatrists! Since my pharmacy can't fill my prescription, I've been trying to work with my doctor's office to get the prescription rewritten in a way that lets the pharmacy fill it with their actual stock.

So far, I've spent almost TWO DAYS trying to get a hold of the medical assistant that can rewrite the prescription. After almost two days, I literally went 'gently caress it' and DROVE to the office. Once there, magically, the staff had no problems getting the bitch's attention.

Once that's handled, I get a call from the office staff. My psych needs to see me first before he can rewrite the prescription. WHY?! Why does the guy need to see me to rewrite the same goddamn prescription he's already written?!

Sorry for the e/n, I'm just so frustrated, saddened, and worried. I work in software development and I genuinely need the help from the medication to really help me focus on writing code. Especially at this place where the boss is CONSTANTLY on my jock asking me when things will be done.

Not being able to get these pills makes me genuinely concerned for how well I will be able to do my job. And by extension, keep my job and be able to support my family.

I think this is the best time ever to try Concerta...

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
The pharmacy just called me and said they have my full scripts waiting for me. I want to cry, I'm so happy. I wish it wasn't illegal to horde this poo poo because I hate dealing with this every drat month. I wish I had a job with insurance, then this switching around poo poo wouldn't be so god awful. Keeping your pills as cheap as possible is hard as it is without dealing with shortages.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Here's some news on the drug shortages from the prescription side of things:

http://www.rxeconsult.com/articles/view.php?id=99 - Ritalin-based drugs

http://www.rxeconsult.com/articles/view.php?id=66 - Adderall Only

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Oh my god. It's like when you go to the optometrist and they adjust your prescription and then holy gently caress you can see so much better. And you didn't realize how bad it was before but now it seems insane.

How did I live like that for so long holy poo poo.

(They gave me a test dosage of Ritalin. Yay diagnostic labs...)

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Dolemite posted:

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks this. :smith:

---

While on the gently caress the system tip, gently caress psychiatrists! Since my pharmacy can't fill my prescription, I've been trying to work with my doctor's office to get the prescription rewritten in a way that lets the pharmacy fill it with their actual stock.

So far, I've spent almost TWO DAYS trying to get a hold of the medical assistant that can rewrite the prescription. After almost two days, I literally went 'gently caress it' and DROVE to the office. Once there, magically, the staff had no problems getting the bitch's attention.

Once that's handled, I get a call from the office staff. My psych needs to see me first before he can rewrite the prescription. WHY?! Why does the guy need to see me to rewrite the same goddamn prescription he's already written?!

Sorry for the e/n, I'm just so frustrated, saddened, and worried. I work in software development and I genuinely need the help from the medication to really help me focus on writing code. Especially at this place where the boss is CONSTANTLY on my jock asking me when things will be done.

Not being able to get these pills makes me genuinely concerned for how well I will be able to do my job. And by extension, keep my job and be able to support my family.

I think this is the best time ever to try Concerta...

I want to know what the psych says when you visit him. I would also like to hear a description of his face if he does not have a good reason for dragging you in when you say- "I'm not paying for this session, rear end in a top hat." The only thing better than the description is if you take out a phone and then read that line off of a piece of paper in a monotone.

Sorry, I'm feeling a bit empathetically angry on your behalf.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Downing 16 shots of espresso because you thought that doing complex Algebra without ADHD meds was an awesome plan, and I'm sick of getting poo poo WRONG:

Bad Idea? or Really Bad Idea?

At least the Metadate works. I talked to my doctor, and we decided that having weekend 'breaks' wasn't that feasable if I'm also doing the studying thing. So naturally I forgot that :downs: and didn't take meds today.

(OK, feeling better, now that I'm having another double Americano. At least my doc and I found a med that works, and it's a med that hasn't been adversely affected by the shortages. Metadate is a strange beast - I can't even feel it kicking in or wearing off, but dang I can really tell when it's in my system.)

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 8, 2012

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

TheBigBad posted:

I want to know what the psych says when you visit him. I would also like to hear a description of his face if he does not have a good reason for dragging you in when you say- "I'm not paying for this session, rear end in a top hat." The only thing better than the description is if you take out a phone and then read that line off of a piece of paper in a monotone.

Sorry, I'm feeling a bit empathetically angry on your behalf.

The guy didn't even end up saying anything really. He's like the last psych I had. Spends 5 minutes listening to my problems and practically shoos me out the door. Nothing makes you feel more important than the guy literally writing your prescription as you talk to him.

You're right that I ought to tell him I'm not paying for this session, but I'm too afraid to come after my doc and get labeled as having some problem where ADHD meds are the wrong solution for me.

One plus from this: I decided now is better than ever to give Concerta a try now that it's a generic. I'll be going from a 30mg dose of Adderall to a 36mg dose of Concerta. Since Concerta is stimulant, hopefully it'll work for me as well as Adderall does.

But, I definitely can't stay on this medication for long. Whereas the Adderall runs 20 bucks per bottle, Concerta is 60! The doctor almost prescribed me Vyvance until I asked if it was a generic. Good thing I did! Due to Vyvance not being a generic, it runs up to 185 a bottle!

Qu Appelle posted:

Downing 16 shots of espresso because you thought that doing complex Algebra without ADHD meds was an awesome plan, and I'm sick of getting poo poo WRONG:

Bad Idea? or Really Bad Idea?

At least the Metadate works. I talked to my doctor, and we decided that having weekend 'breaks' wasn't that feasable if I'm also doing the studying thing. So naturally I forgot that :downs: and didn't take meds today.

I'm always seeking out new drugs thanks to the Adderall mess. Compared to any previous medications you've been on, is Metadate more or less expensive? I understand people will react differently to different medications. But, how does Metadate feel when it works? Adderall to me feels like an 8 hour, 6-cups-of-coffee high. While I like the productivity boost I get from the drug, I do wish there were smoother options out there.

I've read that Concerta should be smoother (and my doc said the same thing). I also hear Dexedrine mentioned a lot in this thread.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Dolemite posted:

I'm always seeking out new drugs thanks to the Adderall mess. Compared to any previous medications you've been on, is Metadate more or less expensive? I understand people will react differently to different medications. But, how does Metadate feel when it works? Adderall to me feels like an 8 hour, 6-cups-of-coffee high. While I like the productivity boost I get from the drug, I do wish there were smoother options out there.

I've read that Concerta should be smoother (and my doc said the same thing). I also hear Dexedrine mentioned a lot in this thread.

Metadate isn't a generic that I know of, and with my insurance plan, I pay the highest copay for it. However, I'm willing to do that, because it works. Metadate and Concerta are related, and I do know that Concerta has a generic equivalent. Dexedrine has been a generic forever, and it did work *really* well for me in terms of ADHD - but I had to quit it because of the side effects. But if Adderall works, Dex should work as well. The Dex up and down isn't smooth at all, however. When I took it, I distinctly felt when it turned 'on' and 'off'.

In terms of coffee? I'd say that in concentration measurements, it feels like 3-4 shots of espresso. However, there's no 'jitteriness' or any of the bad side effects that one gets with coffee. It's kind of hard to describe. It also seems to feel different than Adderall or Dexedrine, as I can tell it's working, but there's no ramp up or ramp down. Nor is there any emotional lability like there was with Adderall. It does make me a tad more anxious, but my doc isn't surprised, as it's a stimulant, and they can do that.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Oh yeah - anyone know of good therapists in the Seattle area that deal with Adult ADHD issues? I think that would be helpful for me.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Thanks for the notes on Dex and Metadate. I might give Dexedrine a try next. If its been a generic for a long time, then surely it's cheaper than Concerta. I would assume it's more expensive than generic Adderall since Concerta only became generic last year or so. I don't know anyone in the Seattle area, but I wish you luck on your therapist search. All we have around here are therapists that only deal in child ADHD. It's almost like therapists don't deal with adult ADHD because they refuse it exists beyond K-12 ages.

---

Concerta trip report: Mixed reviews so far. This is day three now. I've had two 'meh' days and one CAN'T.STOP.WRITING.CODE day! I don't know what was so special about yesterday, but I was blown away by the ability to hyperfocus on my work. I was so focused that I literally had no thirst or appetite. I worked non-stop all day long!

But the first day I took the meds and today, I feel like it isn't really helping all that much. The really thing is, of these three days, I actually got the least amount of sleep on day 2 where I was hyperfocused. Days 1 and 3, I got almost a full 8 hours. What the hell?

The effects of the drug do feel a little bit smoother than Adderall, but not by much. Yesterday actually felt like the full on Adderall 'high' that you get when its in full force.

One thing I really like about Concerta is the fact that I only need to take one pill a day. If I go back to Adderall, I think I'm going to ask for the extended release pill next time. I really like there being no breaks in the action so to speak. The effects kick in and stay kicked in until a few hours before bed. Very handy!

Hopefully as I take Concerta longer, I'll get a lot more hyperfocus type days and less 'meh' days.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Hamburglar posted:

...and I'm laying in bed at 11PM with thoughts racing and being fidgety as poo poo thinking "HEY I SHOULD GO BUILD A COMPUTER RIGHT NOW EVEN THOUGH I'M DOG TIRED AND HAVE TO BE UP AT 5 AM".
This is my life, it drives my wife nuts.

I was just diagnosed with Adult ADD, and I'm 30 years old. I went to see an expert in the field and he prescribed me Vyvanse, 20 mg to start.
I felt really focused the first 2 days, and I couldn't tell when I was hungry. I also felt foggy headed. That mostly wore off, so he asked me to up the dosage to 40mg over time.
Up to 30 now and the foggyheaded feeling has (mostly)gone away but I can tell I need more(or something else). I also have a prescription for Adderall if Vyvanse doesn't work, but my doctor says good luck finding any. I just wish I could get to the point where I can listen to something boring/study and actually be able to focus.

Qu Appelle posted:

Oh yeah - anyone know of good therapists in the Seattle area that deal with Adult ADHD issues? I think that would be helpful for me.
I went to see Dr. Sang Suh in Bellevue, he was recommended strongly to me by my general practitioner. And he's a nice guy.

Mrit fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 14, 2012

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

Mrit posted:

I just wish I could get to the point where I can listen to something boring/study and actually be able to focus.

The pill should help you focus but you have to decide to do it. You start listening or reading and you may surprise yourself when the lecture is over and you don't have a notebook full of doodles or you come to the end o your reading. It won't make you suddenly like things that bore you but you will be able to do them provided you push yourself to do it.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

The pill should help you focus but you have to decide to do it. You start listening or reading and you may surprise yourself when the lecture is over and you don't have a notebook full of doodles or you come to the end o your reading. It won't make you suddenly like things that bore you but you will be able to do them provided you push yourself to do it.

Seconding this. The pill doesn't change human nature. Things you're not interested in will not suddenly become awesome.

But, you may find yourself gaining new hobbies and interests because of your ability to focus and retain what you read or listen to.

One good thing about the medication is that because you do need to push yourself to start something, you'll find yourself in the habit of not putting things off. Even unmedicated. Hell, before I even took my dose today, I saw the kitchen was a mess from hosting people at the house. So I went and cleaned it all instead of playing video games or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

Dolemite posted:

Seconding this. The pill doesn't change human nature. Things you're not interested in will not suddenly become awesome.

But, you may find yourself gaining new hobbies and interests because of your ability to focus and retain what you read or listen to.

One good thing about the medication is that because you do need to push yourself to start something, you'll find yourself in the habit of not putting things off. Even unmedicated. Hell, before I even took my dose today, I saw the kitchen was a mess from hosting people at the house. So I went and cleaned it all instead of playing video games or something.

I've noticed this more lately. Like I rely less on lists or chore charts and can make my own list of things like a real adult. I still make a list that is super detailed and mark x in the box when I do it and if I do extra I write it in and mark an x and pretty soon I've done a lot of stuff and I'm happy because look at how many boxes are missing an x (none!). It's sort of a competitive and/or reward thing that works for me. I have to write Unload dishes, reload dishes, run dishwasher for instance instead of just Dishes on my list because I always see all the steps it takes to do what many might consider one task. It actually helps to not be overwhelmed even though it's 3 things instead of 1. Each of those things is easier and simpler than the 1 thing. Plus I don't forget to start the dishwasher. 

What is really awesome with meds though is I have a lot more time now that I'm not constantly looking for things like keys or phones or my drink or my food or basically anything I touched and set down somewhere for some dumb reason. 

When I am working and on a roll I do forget things sometimes usually a second or 3rd step like say putting a bag in the trash can but I was doing something else productive instead so it's no big deal and I just do it when I see it. I have gotten a lot better at fixing or doing whatever I see needs done. I don't just ignore the mess my daughter made on my way to the kitchen, I take dishes or trash with me and pick up the toys instead of brushing them aside with my foot because I'm in a hurry to accomplish nothing. 

I'm proud of these improvements I have made. I think a schedule is essential for me with a timeframe for when to go to bed and wake up the same time every day so if I do stay up late I face the consequences of my actions. A schedule combined with a sense of personal responsibility and meds works for me. 

I relapse now and then when something throws me off track and it takes a day or two to get back to where I want to be but I'm a lot better at not throwing myself off track because I'm having fun saving the world one bullet at a time in Call of Duty or something. 

Be awesome, people. [Whatever you are doing] like a champion today.