Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

pr0zac posted:

Pretty sure it stops when you kill yourself on a turboed Bandit 1200.

Its regularly surprising to me that my 929 now just feels normal.

I remember first buying my 929 and thinking I was reving it into the moon by how hard it was pulling and then realizing I was only at 6k.

6 months later, I was coming out of a corner wondering why the bike felt so drat slow.

The human brain is way too loving good at adapting to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Yeah, my 636 feels kinda slow to me now too. My gf rarely rode with me since I got it because the bike's so high in the rear and it's kinda hard for her to climb up on. She joined me one day in November and she was afterwards remarking on how her head was pulled back so hard and she had forgotten how fast it was. :coal:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I read a New Yorker article years ago about speed, where the author basically says "So here I was on the Autobahn and hitting 170, 180 mph, and then had to slow down to 90 mph, and it felt like the car was not moving, like I was going 10 miles an hour." Took that one to heart; it's all about your frame of reference.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Splizwarf posted:

I read a New Yorker article years ago about speed, where the author basically says "So here I was on the Autobahn and hitting 170, 180 mph, and then had to slow down to 90 mph, and it felt like the car was not moving, like I was going 10 miles an hour." Took that one to heart; it's all about your frame of reference.

Hell, if I've been going 130kph for less than an hour and have to slow down to 80kph, it feels like I'm going way too slow.

Speed tolerance builds up remarkably fast.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Ehh, it's acceleration that's the fun part of speed on the street anyway.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KARMA! posted:

Ehh, it's acceleration that's the fun part of speed on the street anyway.

Acceleration is the fun part of speed everywhere :)

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

KozmoNaut posted:

I've done a few rounds on a track as a passenger in a car (shut up :() and even then by the third round I was more excited by a correct apex hit then the resulting acceleration.

Ok so it was in a 'built' maza mx6.. you know what I'll shut up about it.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

KozmoNaut posted:

Truth. I went skydiving last year, and the average terminal velocity for a human is about 200kph. I realized afterwards that even though I was in freefall for almost a minute, I only felt like I was falling for a few seconds. Which was the time it took to accelerate to terminal velocity.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

KARMA! posted:

I've done a few rounds on a track as a passenger in a car (shut up :() and even then by the third round I was more excited by a correct apex hit then the resulting acceleration.
Turning is just lateral acceleration! :science:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Splizwarf posted:

I do. Gonna see if I can get it. If anyone can get to it before me, do it, I'm in Fredericksburg.

Well did you get in touch with him? I emailed him just in case you decided to take a pass on it. No response.

Please tell me you're getting it. I've already got 3 GL1000's and I don't think I can bring home another Goldwing (but I will).

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
No response. :(

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Splizwarf posted:

No response. :(

Ad's down. looks like we both failed.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...QAdIdZ339257597

quote:

soo i was fixing fuel like and put my hand in there and ripped out the kill switch cord..... i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to turn it off please email me thanks! here is the bike i am selling them. just 1 has the broken kill switch.http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...QAdIdZ337694858

:psyduck:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Ugg try fix biek, biek fix bad, no work now.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
This looks sweet. Ja?

http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/2691757026.html

quote:

1989 Honda Hawk GT (NT650) - $2900 (Irondequoit, NY)

I am the original owner of this classic cult status Honda Hawk GT (NT650). If you have made it this far in the description, you probably already know about this bike. It has been lightly modified to beef up the brakes, wheels, tires and exhaust and still keep the original look. I swapped out a complete Honda F3 front end and kept the stock headlight and instrument panel. This means she now has dual brakes and a wider rim along with a cool looking F3 front fender. I then fitted a VFR rear wheel and hub with a 170 wide tire and turned rear brake caliper upside down. There is a left exit two-brothers exhaust which leaves the rear wheel exposed giving her a great look that really turns heads. I also installed a 900RR Rear shock, 520 chain conversion, 45T Rear, 16T Front, S/S brake line through the swing arm, four one inch holes in the airbox, minor jet adjustments, Fender kit.

I'm selling her because I am married with kids now and this bike has been sitting in my garage with minimal use the last 7 years. Minimal use means since 2004 each year I would take it out 2 or 3 times a year for about 15-20 minutes to warm it up. I would estimate less than 50 miles a year since 2004. The modifications listed were done in over the winter of 2002-2003. Because the F3 front end does not have a speedo pick up, the speedometer (and odometer) do not work. When the mod was done the bike had 7k miles on it. There is no way this bike has more than 9k miles on it now.

The bike is dirty and dusty from sitting for so long with some surface rust on non-aluminum parts (horn, exhaust, etc). There are two dings on the top of the tank that were sealed immediately with non-matching red paint. There is a crack in the rear cowling on the left side with one of the mounting points missing. Besides that, she starts right up and drives great. I would trust this bike to take me to the Adirondacks and back right now if I wanted to in the condition she is in, as-is. I am in the process of moving and just cannot justify keeping this bike if I am not going to use it anymore. The photos shown were taken before she got all dusty and dirty. I am going to start to clean her up and list her on eBay if I don't get a quick sale here. I checked eBay and not one listed.

I am a responsible rider. This bike has never been raced or downed. It has never done a burn out or a "stoppie". I never horse around on a bike. Serious inquiries only. No tire kickers looking for a free test ride. Can you tell I won't be sad if it doesn't sell?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

the walkin dude posted:

This looks sweet. Ja?

http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/2691757026.html
At one third the price jah. he's not gonna get what he wants for it.
Even with the mods it's probably only worth about $1300 max.

Lord Fizzlebottom
May 3, 2005

I will show you wonderful, terrible things
I finally got to look at that CB650 Nighthawk yesterday, and will be going back to buy it today. Needs new brake shoes in the rear, new seals in the front forks, and maybe new O-rings to make the cylinder head keep oil in a little better.

Think I'll do my due diligence and negotiate down from $800 to $750 or so. We'll see. Pics to come

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Lord Fizzlebottom posted:

I finally got to look at that CB650 Nighthawk yesterday, and will be going back to buy it today. Needs new brake shoes in the rear, new seals in the front forks, and maybe new O-rings to make the cylinder head keep oil in a little better.

Think I'll do my due diligence and negotiate down from $800 to $750 or so. We'll see. Pics to come

I'm excited as poo poo for you. Got mine back in October for my first bike and I love it. Be sure to post some pictures. Also, be sure to check out http://nighthawk-forums.com. It's a generally pretty mature nice group of guys there.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 21, 2011

ButtFaceMcCrackin
Nov 6, 2004

You'll never get confused about which end to use!
Was just looking on the local craigslist and found this older SV650. Would love to check it out and haggle with the guy since he sounds a little desperate to get rid of it by this Friday. Anyway I was wondering, and maybe this is the wrong place to ask, does anyone know the usual service schedule on this bike? Specifically valve adjustment. Anyway here's the link if you want to take a look.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/2718723898.html

quote:

HI, I am selling my 2004 suzuki sv650 with 15xxx miles i am the second owner i bought the bike at 9999 miles, i use it to go to school and back daily. great bike for a beginer, i laid it down once at 10 mph minor damages. The bike is blue and has a white front cowling, i also have a white front fenter and white fairings, the fairings aren't on the bike yet, but they are about 300-500 a set. I am selling because i am moving out of florida soon and i need to fix my car. price is flexible. so give me a call or text at 920-418-1141 Thanks

UPDATE: I need to sell the bike by this friday im am leaving florida for a couple weeks and i need to sell the bike. clean title in hand.SHOOT ME AN OFFER

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

ButtFaceMcCrackin posted:

Was just looking on the local craigslist and found this older SV650. Would love to check it out and haggle with the guy since he sounds a little desperate to get rid of it by this Friday. Anyway I was wondering, and maybe this is the wrong place to ask, does anyone know the usual service schedule on this bike? Specifically valve adjustment. Anyway here's the link if you want to take a look.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/2718723898.html

Valve adjustment is due at about 15,000 or so. Might be 16k but its in that ball park.

Lord Fizzlebottom
May 3, 2005

Here she is. 1982 Honda CB650 Nighthawk

I've ridden her probably 10 miles total so far. Mostly city [Seattle] riding, so I haven't gone over ~40mph. Here's what I've gathered about things I'll have to fix on this bike:

1) The clutch is entirely too heavy to pull, and I'm fairly certain the cable either needs to be tightened or replaced. This is hopefully also the reason it doesn't enjoy going into neutral. That's a bitch of a gear for this bike.
2) The rear brake needs new shoes. That is happening this weekend, so no problem there.
3) The speedometer bulb needs replacing. Not sure if I can just take the instrument cluster backing off for that or what. Will have to refer to shop manual.
4) Need new rubber pegs for the passenger left and the clutch pedal.

Then there are things I'll obviously have to improve about my riding:

1) Confidence going over 40mph. Wind is something that affected me more than I'd thought about, and it wasn't even visibly windy.
2) Bridge grating is loving scary the first time. Hoping that fear will disappear.
3) Are scarves safe to wear with full gear? My neck is the only part of me that gets cold.

Either than that, all I can think is that I waited entirely too long to get a bike. Holy poo poo this is fun to ride. I am in love.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Your cable issue can often be fixed with a new cable (properly adjusted). Old cables get grimy and lovely and often cleaning them isn't enough.

On riding fears...relax your arms so you don't give unintentional inputs to the bars, you'll get used to the rain grooves, scarves are ok to wear but tuck the ends into your jacket. Don't want them getting caught in the rear wheel.

Finally, check the date code on your tires.

Oh, and congrats on both the best and worst decision of your life! :v:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

That looks really familiar, I think I may have test rode it around Wallingford last summer for a friend just getting into riding. I can tell because there are no front turn signals and the left fork seal is toast.

It has no windshield, you'll get used to the wind in no time. I can't really feel it unless I'm doing 80.

Congrats. It begins.

Lord Fizzlebottom
May 3, 2005

clutchpuck posted:

That looks really familiar, I think I may have test rode it around Wallingford last summer for a friend just getting into riding. I can tell because there are no front turn signals and the left fork seal is toast.

It has no windshield, you'll get used to the wind in no time. I can't really feel it unless I'm doing 80.

Congrats. It begins.

There actually are front turn signals. Nothing is missing, which is nice for an older bike. The fork seal is definitely toast though, and the previous owner gave me new seals that I'm going to install this weekend. She also gave me a battery tender, so that'll get some use this winter I'm sure. All in all, I think I've got a good setup. Just gotta make sure I keep care of it while I keep learning.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

One thing I want to mention, the charging system on the Nighthawks is notoriously weak, so you are going to want a good battery. I'm going to pick one of these up over the winter, they come highly recommended by other Nighthawk guys. And none of that filling the battery with acid bullshit.

http://www.scorpionbattery.com/powersports-batteries/yt12c.html

Also, I don't know if you want to go messing with suspension at all, and I don't know how much it would change it, but if you're pulling the forks apart, Progressive has front springs and rear shocks for these bikes.

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/prodSearchResults.aspx?yearID=1982&makeID=40&modelID=423

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 22, 2011

Lord Fizzlebottom
May 3, 2005

I've read about the charging system for these bikes. It only starts charging at 2k rpm or so I think. But the good news is that the battery is only a month old, so I'll see how it lasts.

As for the suspension, I'm just going to fix the fork for now and keep the link you posted in case I do feel the need for some better springs. Thanks for that.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Zubumafoo posted:

And none of that filling the battery with acid bullshit.

Yeah I love sealed batteries. Anything I have, I find a sealed option for. We had to mod the Magna to get a close match to fit :)

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

I've read about the charging system for these bikes. It only starts charging at 2k rpm or so I think. But the good news is that the battery is only a month old, so I'll see how it lasts.

As for the suspension, I'm just going to fix the fork for now and keep the link you posted in case I do feel the need for some better springs. Thanks for that.

You're doing both forks right?

Lord Fizzlebottom
May 3, 2005

_Dav posted:

You're doing both forks right?

Yes

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
This doesn't belong here, sorry!

Mcqueen fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 24, 2011

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
I've wanted a motorcycle for a while (it's like a better bicycle, right) and I think my new year's resolution is to actually get on with it this year. I'm going to sign up for a riding class in January and so I guess I'll need a bike a bit later on too?? I was just browsing craigslist and came across this 88 Yamaha http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/mcy/2747021578.html , would this be a decent beginner's bike? Not necessarily planning on getting this one, just wondering if I've got the right idea

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You could probably do a lot worse. I would suggest sitting on it, though, since smaller cruisers are, well, small. You might not be able to sit on it comfortably.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Laminator posted:

I've wanted a motorcycle for a while (it's like a better bicycle, right) and I think my new year's resolution is to actually get on with it this year. I'm going to sign up for a riding class in January and so I guess I'll need a bike a bit later on too?? I was just browsing craigslist and came across this 88 Yamaha http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/mcy/2747021578.html , would this be a decent beginner's bike? Not necessarily planning on getting this one, just wondering if I've got the right idea

There might be a very good reason he wants to part it out. I can see that it's complete, but is it running? It's not impossible to destroy an engine in just 9K miles.

That aside, the XV535 is kind of flimsy. Wouldn't be my suggestion for a beginners bike. The riding position is also a bit weird.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I'm been keeping an eye out for a cheap wr250x for a daily and came across this. Correct me if I'm wrong but the 625 is just the older 690 with just as bulletproof a motor right?

http://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/2768649179.html

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

2005 is better than 2004, but the older LC4 KTMs are not kind on bearings and top end gaskets. It's a reasonably solid motor, but not something I would call bulletproof.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Yeah kinda got overly excited there, still going to look for a wr. I want something I can take on weekend trips and apparently the LC4s are vibey as hell too.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
One of my acquaintances in Rochester is selling a good condition red Suzuki Bandit 400. He replaced a good number of poo poo on it and is fairly competent as a mechanic. I know those bikes are pretty rare nowadays and thought I'd toss that in here for you guys.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I saw a CL ad this morning for an '05 Ducati 1098 with 6k on the odometer, great condition, clear title... $1200.

The gently caress?

It's been removed now, so I don't know what's up. Maybe it already sold. Maybe it was fake. Who knows.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Fake. If you had emailed them, you would've gotten some bullshit story about how it was their son's bike and he was killed in Iraq and how they want to get rid of it because it reminds them of him blah blah blah

That kind of ad pops up around here all the time, and it's always the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Figured this may be the most appropriate thread to ask this in.

I'm selling a bike (I own it outright, clear title, no note), and a friend wants to buy a bike. The guy already rides and is pretty trustworthy/respected in the motorcycle community here. The only catch is that he would need to pay in installments.

I like the guy well enough and want to help him out but I also realize mixing money and friends is a bad idea generally, so what is the most appropriate way to do this to protect both of us? I figure a contract and a planned out schedule of payments, with receipts etc is the best way to do it, but would I hold onto the title until he pays it off?