Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Just a heads up, the skinomi is a wet-applied protector which comes with everything you need to apply it. All I did was spray some of the stuff on my hands, peel it off, spray both sides and lay it so the holes matched up on my phone. Pat the outside of excess fluids and let it sit for 30 minutes, then gently worked out air bubbles. As it dried to the screen I was a little more aggressive and have 0 air bubbles at all, perfect application. Honestly it's really hard to gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

EbolaIvory posted:

750 PER LINE.

AT&T just dont want deadbeat customers. And statistically bad credit = lovely payment history somewhere.

AT&T said they would require a $350 deposit in order for me to split off from under my moms account. This is after we had been customers for 5 years and had fine payment history.

On the other hand, I think my credit score was about 570 when I walked into the Verizon store and started my own account. No down payment or anything.

Sooooo, basically gently caress AT&T

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Just a quick word for those planning on trading in phones under the Southern states program that was announced a few days ago. The quote on the site is bogus. I just tried to trade in a 3GS 16gb and while it first told her $105 like the site says it immediately dropped it to $40 when she put in the imei info (so it's not because it's a beat up phone, it's pretty much is perfect with the box and everything)

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

duffmensch posted:

Just wanted to add that if you are having problems with dust specs and/or hair, I have had luck with applying the screen protector in a very humid environment (like the bathroom with the shower turned on full hot water for a few minutes).

This seems like a bit too much work for a screen protector :colbert:

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

kstatix posted:

This seems like a bit too much work for a screen protector :colbert:

It's annoying, but you get used to having dust problems when you live in AZ. Having pets as well just adds to the crap that is floating in the air and waiting to land on the screen while you apply the screen protector.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

AppleCobbler posted:

AT&T said they would require a $350 deposit in order for me to split off from under my moms account. This is after we had been customers for 5 years and had fine payment history.

On the other hand, I think my credit score was about 570 when I walked into the Verizon store and started my own account. No down payment or anything.

That's similar to my credit score now, which gives me hope. It was worse 2+ years ago when I last tried.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll see what ends up happening with my finances and hopefully will be getting a Galaxy Nexus soon. Sure will be nice to actually get a signal inside buildings for once.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

There's a not-currently-used line on our family plan that has unlimited data. My mother asked Verizon about switching the phone numbers of her line and that line, and was told the best they could do would be to give both lines completely new numbers, and then have her start using the line with data.

This seems pretty stupid and incorrect to me. Does anyone here have any idea what the actual policy is?

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
For some reason the signal in my parents house is absolute poo poo. It always has been and my mom isn't really sure why and just hasn't bothered doing anything about, but I'm home indefinitely now and need it to be fixed. I'm lucky if I get 2 bars strength, but at least 3G works pretty well. I've been home for 2 days now and have had more dropped calls and texts that don't get sent than I did in the year before I wasn't living here. I don't know if it matters, but the wifi here is top notch so I don't think it has anything to do with the build of my house or anything like that. I've been searching around and pretty much only found this:

http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phone-and-smart/verizon-wireless-network-extender/4505-6448_7-33522854.html

Has anyone here used this or know of a similar device that would work? It looks like it is just what I need, but at $250 I want to be sure it is the right thing.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I think I recall someone in the thread saying that they called in to verizon and complained that they received absolutely no signal in their house even when they claimed to be covered on the map and verizon gave them one of those signal boosters for super cheap - like 50 dollars.

Am I mis-remembering?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

tzirean posted:

There's a not-currently-used line on our family plan that has unlimited data. My mother asked Verizon about switching the phone numbers of her line and that line, and was told the best they could do would be to give both lines completely new numbers, and then have her start using the line with data.

This seems pretty stupid and incorrect to me. Does anyone here have any idea what the actual policy is?

Verizon policy seems to be quite malleable depending on who you talk to. I'd suggest calling them up a few more times and phrasing the request differently each time (e.g. ask to swap data plans instead of phone #s).

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Picked up my Galaxy Nexus this morning, great phone! I was lucky I guess as my corporate store had plenty in stock. I can't recommend this phone enough, the screen is stunning and everything just happens. Apps open instantly, there is no lag anywhere that I've seen, everything is super smooth and works great. Verizon has a pretty terrific lineup right now but this thing is definitely the star I think. I had sky high expectations for this phone and it has absolutely met or exceeded all of them. Buy it!

tronik
Oct 21, 2008

Codiusprime posted:

Picked up my Galaxy Nexus this morning, great phone! I was lucky I guess as my corporate store had plenty in stock. I can't recommend this phone enough, the screen is stunning and everything just happens. Apps open instantly, there is no lag anywhere that I've seen, everything is super smooth and works great. Verizon has a pretty terrific lineup right now but this thing is definitely the star I think. I had sky high expectations for this phone and it has absolutely met or exceeded all of them. Buy it!

I just picked up one for my dad for Xmas and its amazing! Huge rear end screen too. Haven't been able to get 4G to work yet but I'm just blown away but how huge the screen is. Practically a tablet!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

tronik posted:

I just picked up one for my dad for Xmas and its amazing! Huge rear end screen too. Haven't been able to get 4G to work yet but I'm just blown away but how huge the screen is. Practically a tablet!

That's what I thought until I got a Galaxy Note :colbert:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hearing the squealing of my girlfriend about her new GNex was all worth it for me. :unsmith:

(Now to wait until February for my Droid 4... :sigh:)

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Krittick posted:

I wonder if Verizon wanted so much because I had so little good credit history and only the student loans on there as bad history. By now I have had a few diffetent bills under my name with no late payments and have been building good credit for 2+ years.

If I go through the online ordering process, will it tell me the deposit before I purchase anything? I suppose that's one way to check if it's still $400 or not. I could handle a $200 deposit even.

Hate to break it to you, but having bills under your name doesn't help build credit. Failing to pay bills under your name will ruin your credit, but paying them doesn't help you. To build credit you need credit cards (real cards, not pre-paid) or loans. That's it.

I recommend getting a secured card from a credit union if you don't currently have any cards. Just stay away from places like First Premier, they will fleece you with fees and 79.9% APRs.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Edit: double post.

Mina fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 25, 2011

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Magic Underwear posted:

Hate to break it to you, but having bills under your name doesn't help build credit. Failing to pay bills under your name will ruin your credit, but paying them doesn't help you. To build credit you need credit cards (real cards, not pre-paid) or loans. That's it.

I recommend getting a secured card from a credit union if you don't currently have any cards. Just stay away from places like First Premier, they will fleece you with fees and 79.9% APRs.

I was referring to credit card bills under my name. Small ones with $200-300 max limits, but I wasn't referring to utility bills or such. :-)

I'll look into a secured card from my credit union too, thanks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Magic Underwear posted:

Even a credit card won't help too much. The best thing for building credit is a mortgage or a car loan.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Magic Underwear posted:

Truepost, go to BFC, post your situation and they will help you build a plan to establish credit. I followed their suggestions and now I got primo credit and no problems after 2 years.

I suggest using this thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3256838

Against the suggestion of a lot of them, I took a loan against my car for $3k which had been paid in full. The loan is paying itself back monthly and I paid ~$100 in interest. I also opened a capital one card which I never carried a balance and now I get offers for cards with 8-9% APR and am approved for a nice mortgage with a retardedly low rate.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

kstatix posted:

A lot can change in a couple years. A $400 deposit doesn't always mean bad credit as I've seen people with that high of a deposit just because they had no credit history whatsoever. Unfortunately, there's simply no way around it. The good news is you will get it back with 3% interest, but almost nobody can stomach a $400 deposit if they have that kind of credit anyway. No offense, as I'm in the same situation you are. My credit's hosed and if I wasn't a verizon employee I would definitely be looking at a deposit and as a consumer I would definitely find another route.

edit: Also, if you checked recently and Verizon is asking for $400, you're likely to see the same requirement on ATT. There's an ATT kiosk right outside of my store and I've seen kids start with us and head to the kiosk and leave both places empty handed and whether or not it's true, Verizon apparently is the most lenient when it comes to credit scoring.

Not sure if you just mean between the two, but Sprint is extremely lenient on deposits. The most I see is $100 (with one exception of $150), and most deposits are $50. I rarely see VZ or ATT have lower deposits.

Reason is simple: Verizon and AT&T don't have to worry about losing customers from it as much, they just have more customers to start with. Plus there are just a lot of areas where AT&T and Verizon are the only options, so for those areas its either pay deposit or get Straight Talk.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

AppleCobbler posted:

Basically, as far as AT&T is concerned, they don't know how YOU pay your bills. They could care less if your mom does. I had similar 7-8 years ago when I was trying to get service with them. After I got a land line and they saw that I paid on time they were fine with signing me for postpaid cell, and my credit was at a similar score then too.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!
Has anyone gone through the SIM unlock process with their iPhone 4S? I'm on hold now for the international support people. If this works like it did with T-Mobile, they'll just unlock the phone, and then I can put in a local SIM card when I travel. When I put in that new SIM card, will the phone have to be activated again? Some people on the Verizon forum are saying they had to connect to iTunes at that point, and I'm not sure why that would be the case.

Apologies if this has been discussed before.

Edit: Here's a rather coherent response I found on HowardForums. This matches up with what the Verizon rep just told me:

quote:

I just got back from Ireland.

I have a biz account with Verizon, called the day after I received the iPhone, asked for the phone to be unlocked internationally -- the lady explained to me that I need to have WiFi or iTunes when I insert the local SIM (in this case, o2 IRL).

I walked into a shop in Dublin, picked up a SIM, put it in, went to a WiFi hotspot, it activated and worked like a charm.

There was NO unlock code. It was all on Apple's servers.

Note: Your account must be at least 60 days old.
They even gave me a collect number to call while in Ireland in case it did not work.

So Verizon submits the request to Apple, and the first time I put in the foreign SIM, I'll have to connect to WiFi, and the phone handshakes and unlocks itself through Apple's servers.

ryangs fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 26, 2011

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Love my GNex...

Even though I think it's more of an ICS thing, the screenshots right out of the box using hardware buttons is awesome. Boom.

Battery life has been pretty good, especially with the extended battery that was being sold for $25 in the beginning.

Camera resolution isn't top notch, but it is sharp, FAST, and the built-in photo editing is simple and powerful.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
OK quick question. I have a Droid2 special edition variant with a bastard Droid OS on it that I hate. I want to replace it with a Droid RAZR but I want to do it while 1) extending my existing contract so I get it for $300 or less instead of $600 or more and 2) not giving up my unlimited data plan. From looking around it SEEMS I can do this but does anyone have additional info? For example, Radio Shack seemed to indicate I could get one from them and do all of these things but I don't want to pull the trigger and gently caress myself up without asking someone first.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

ryangs posted:

Has anyone gone through the SIM unlock process with their iPhone 4S? I'm on hold now for the international support people. If this works like it did with T-Mobile, they'll just unlock the phone, and then I can put in a local SIM card when I travel. When I put in that new SIM card, will the phone have to be activated again? Some people on the Verizon forum are saying they had to connect to iTunes at that point, and I'm not sure why that would be the case.

Apologies if this has been discussed before.

Edit: Here's a rather coherent response I found on HowardForums. This matches up with what the Verizon rep just told me:

So Verizon submits the request to Apple, and the first time I put in the foreign SIM, I'll have to connect to WiFi, and the phone handshakes and unlocks itself through Apple's servers.

So just to clarify this, as long as I clear it with VZ beforehand I can walk into a store in India, buy a Bharti Airtel SIM card and I will not be paying VZ any sort of roaming, international, or other charges like a regular GSM phone? I just put the pre-paid SIM card in the SIM slot and boom, I am good as long as the VZ authorization has been completed at some point previous?
I know that you can't switch carriers domestically, but the international compatibility is big for me.

Verizon's website makes it sound like its an "international phone" because you can roam at $2.99 a minute on their foreign carriers. I want to make sure this is not the case.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Cheesemaster200 posted:

So just to clarify this, as long as I clear it with VZ beforehand I can walk into a store in India, buy a Bharti Airtel SIM card and I will not be paying VZ any sort of roaming, international, or other charges like a regular GSM phone? I just put the pre-paid SIM card in the SIM slot and boom, I am good as long as the VZ authorization has been completed at some point previous?
I know that you can't switch carriers domestically, but the international compatibility is big for me.

Verizon's website makes it sound like its an "international phone" because you can roam at $2.99 a minute on their foreign carriers. I want to make sure this is not the case.
Yes. You just have to have been a Verizon customer for at least 60 days, the phone has to be active on a line when you ask for the unlock (as opposed to, say, a 4S you bought off craigslist and never activated), and you only get one unlock every 10 months.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

VH4Ever posted:

OK quick question. I have a Droid2 special edition variant with a bastard Droid OS on it that I hate. I want to replace it with a Droid RAZR but I want to do it while 1) extending my existing contract so I get it for $300 or less instead of $600 or more and 2) not giving up my unlimited data plan. From looking around it SEEMS I can do this but does anyone have additional info? For example, Radio Shack seemed to indicate I could get one from them and do all of these things but I don't want to pull the trigger and gently caress myself up without asking someone first.

There is no additional information. Just go into a store and buy the phone and have someone activate it. It's worth double checking at the time to make sure the person doing the activation doesn't screw it up, and you might reduce the chance of errors by going to a Verizon corporate store rather than a third party retailer like Radio Shack, but you don't have to do anything special to keep unlimited data.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

kitten smoothie posted:

Yes. You just have to have been a Verizon customer for at least 60 days, the phone has to be active on a line when you ask for the unlock (as opposed to, say, a 4S you bought off craigslist and never activated), and you only get one unlock every 10 months.
I thought once you unlock a phone once you don't have to jump through the hoops again? Won't it be unlocked permanently (aside from domestic carriers?)

Or are you just referring to one phone per 10 month period? (ie. you can't unlock like 10 phones in a year)

EDIT:
Spoke with a Verizon rep and he confirmed that all you have to do is meet the requirements and call. Then you essentially have a unlocked global phone with the one exception of the US GSM carriers. You can't unlock the phone and then use it on AT&T or something. However, internationally it works as a fully unlocked phone. He said to NOT put the roaming SIM that comes standard with it back in though, as it will potentially re-lock it.

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 28, 2011

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Or are you just referring to one phone per 10 month period? (ie. you can't unlock like 10 phones in a year)

This. They won't let you buy up a dozen global phones and then unlock them all for resale outside the US.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

VH4Ever posted:

OK quick question. I have a Droid2 special edition variant with a bastard Droid OS on it that I hate. I want to replace it with a Droid RAZR but I want to do it while 1) extending my existing contract so I get it for $300 or less instead of $600 or more and 2) not giving up my unlimited data plan.

Step 1: Log onto your Verizon account.

Step 2: Check your upgrade date.

Step 3: Wait for your upgrade date.

There's no other way.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Looks like there is/was another 4G outage in some places today - if you call and are nice, you might be able to get a $25 credit. When I asked nicely and mentioned the outage last week and today (for me in Chicago), the second rep I talked to was happy to give me a credit.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Looks like there is/was another 4G outage in some places today - if you call and are nice, you might be able to get a $25 credit. When I asked nicely and mentioned the outage last week and today (for me in Chicago), the second rep I talked to was happy to give me a credit.

That sucks. I'm having a data outage in Southern MD so I can't even get 3G.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Apparently 3G phones are fine, but if you have a 4G phone you can't even get 3G service.

Two weeks with my nexus and two outages :(

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Apparently 3G phones are fine, but if you have a 4G phone you can't even get 3G service.

Well that makes perfect sense, especially seeing as how I'm in an area that doesn't even have 4G coverage.

Service was just restored to my phone.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

There was also data outage for me in northern MD (4G area) but I'm back to 3G now.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Huh? I've gone down to 3G sometimes with my GNex.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
Yep, outage here in Montgomery County, MD. No data whatsoever.

Gilyon
Mar 4, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm in Baltimore and also can't get any data still.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Man_of_Teflon posted:

This applied to me before (no service at all with a 4G phone) but just now I seem to have gotten back 3G service only working fine. :confused: who knows at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Just took out my Thunderbolt and yup, no data here in SF. Where do I call to get my credit.

• Locked thread