Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I did it through *611.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
How does one ask for that anyway? Just, like, "Hey my service hasn't been working today and I pay an awful lot for telephones please give me money"?

tronik
Oct 21, 2008

Status update on the GNex. Managed to get the 4G working but I'm discovering that the improved signal strength that was supposed to come with LTE leaves much to be desired. It almost seems like both 3G AND 4G signal quality is worse than the 3G signal I was able to get with my HTC Inc2. 4G doesn't work in any sort of structure I seem to enter (my house and my workplace in particular), although when I go outside I'm able to get maybe 1-3 bars unless I'm standing directly beneath a cell tower.

I'm reading on XDA that this phone in particular may have either a lovely radio or inadequate antenna. I'm hoping its the former so this issue will actually be fixable, otherwise I'll probably need to ditch this and go back to my Inc2. Signal strength and call quality is crucial to me and it seems like Big Red just can't get it right with these smartphones! Back when I had my LG flip phone I NEVER had signal issues.

tronik fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 28, 2011

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I believe the phrase is "there's an outage, I want a credit". I've been running on wifi all day but still on 4g...which will probably drop the second I'm off wifi.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Meldonox posted:

How does one ask for that anyway? Just, like, "Hey my service hasn't been working today and I pay an awful lot for telephones please give me money"?

I just called and complained that I wasn't getting service for the last several weeks consistently and they've asked me to provide a separate number to troubleshoot the phone. When she calls back later I'm just going to ask if there's any kind of refund they'll give for the lack of data service I've had.

I'd just mention that you're paying 30++ a month for data and a decent bit of the time you aren't getting it.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Maybe its because I haven't been with Verizon long, but I have a $50 data plan and the girl on the phone only wanted to give me credit for 2 days, which prorated came out to a little over $3. I told her that data has been out for more than 2 days so she said she'd forward the information to an offline department which would look at my account and make a decision.

But no $25.

captainflask
May 4, 2009
I was only able to get 2 days credit as well, and since I'm on the $30 data plan that comes out to about $2. I even pointed out that I've only been a Verizon customer for a little over a week and the two outages in the span have me thinking of going back to ATT, but that didn't go anywhere.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Meldonox posted:

I asked nicely, something like "I'm calling about getting a service credit for the 4G outages last week and today", mentioned that I wasn't able to text or do anything but voice calls each time, that I had tried pulling the battery and SIM card both times (this is all their troubleshooting is), and that I had only had the phone for a couple weeks.

The second rep I talked to was just going to give me a per-day credit, but after I mentioned someone else getting a $25 credit (read that figure on the web somewhere searching about outages) and made some small talk she said she'd give me a $25 credit and apologized for the outages.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
The Verizon Wireless Megathread: Yea it's Another Data Outage

Ernie Luckman
May 2, 2007

Same as it ever was.
So i'm finally in the market to upgrade from my 2009 Samsung Omnia and i'm debating between the Razr and the Gnex. As far as I can tell, the debate boils down to this: Razr has much better build quality, signal strength, and thinness while the Gnex has a much higher resolution display, ICS and guaranteed quick updates as it's Google's flagship android phone.

I played around with a Razr a bunch this past weekend and reeeeeally liked it, but i've been interested in the Gnex for a while now so i'll probably check one out before i make a decision.

I'm leaning toward the Razr based on the analysis i outlined above. Do my assumptions/conceptions seem right? Anyone who is a fan of one or the other or already hates one or the other care to chime in with some anecdotal info?

Ninja edit: No data outage on my Omnia in DC right now...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It looks like Verizon had a surprise expansion of LTE over the weekend too.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/28/verizons-4g-lte-network-expands-all-over-eastern-washington-and-idaho/

So, I'm just going to go back to what I've said before. Expect a 4G outage a couple days after they roll new markets. It always seems to happen that way.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I asked this in the other Android thread but realize it's better put here. What is the monthly fee for Asurion on a Galaxy Nexus? I know there's a $99 deductible but I had a hard time finding the monthly cost.

I had a close call a night or two ago and figure maybe if I'm going to be this clumsy I should consider insurance on it.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kitten smoothie posted:

I asked this in the other Android thread but realize it's better put here. What is the monthly fee for Asurion on a Galaxy Nexus? I know there's a $99 deductible but I had a hard time finding the monthly cost.

I had a close call a night or two ago and figure maybe if I'm going to be this clumsy I should consider insurance on it.

I got insurance when I bought the phone for $7 a month.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

No dice on the refund. I called earlier and spoke to a rep and had her call me back recently. I specifically noted being disappointed with the coverage and how I had tried all the common stuff like pulling the SIM card and such. She seemed to discredit that and say 4G was out so that wouldn't help.

I also asked about getting a refund and she didn't say much. I then said specifically that people were receiving 25 dollars for the previous outages and she said "I'm not sure how that discount was even calculated" and told me that even if I was refunded it would only be for the specific days I was out i.e. if you pay 30 a month for data and are out 10 days you'd be given 10 dollars, etc.

At this point I didn't want to be a cheap-rear end and push the issue but I may try back tomorrow for a different rep and inquire further if 3G/4G doesn't come back on. It's getting a little ridiculous that every few days it seems the service is going off / on and it even affects the 3G service.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Wow, Verizon seems to be acting pretty arrogant with these issues. They are the most expensive carrier in the US and tout this ridiculously reliable and best ever!1 network, yet hassle you when you complain about not getting what you pay for.

Guess they feel they are above admitting they are experiencing serious network issues and will dodge responsibility until stockholders backlash?

Just doesn't match up to their network touting and arrogant ads I guess. Every network experiences issues now and again...this is getting more frequent and customer service is putting their heads in the sand.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Was trying to activate my parents' brand new Stratospheres, their first smart phones, and I couldn't because of the outage. Good first impression there Verizon.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Picked up that $25 credit with no argument. YMMV, but it seemed to help that when I called in there was a recording apologizing for the known outage in my town.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Meldonox posted:

Picked up that $25 credit with no argument. YMMV, but it seemed to help that when I called in there was a recording apologizing for the known outage in my town.

Yeah that...didn't help me at all. The lady I got said that since they've had 2 days of outages since I've become a customer, and I'm on the $30 data plan, they could credit me $2. I fully admit that I was mainly calling to gripe with any monetary benefits being a bonus, but that's a rough resolution to give a new customer. I think I had a bigger issue with 3G being down as well...I can pay Sprint for 4G service I can't get if I'm looking to throw money in the trash, but at least Sprint's 3G was stable for the last few years. "Her notes" said that coverage should come back around 11pm CST.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

wattershed posted:

Yeah that...didn't help me at all. The lady I got said that since they've had 2 days of outages since I've become a customer, and I'm on the $30 data plan, they could credit me $2. I fully admit that I was mainly calling to gripe with any monetary benefits being a bonus, but that's a rough resolution to give a new customer. I think I had a bigger issue with 3G being down as well...I can pay Sprint for 4G service I can't get if I'm looking to throw money in the trash, but at least Sprint's 3G was stable for the last few years. "Her notes" said that coverage should come back around 11pm CST.

This is my finding too. I didn't get a quote on coverage returning but I got the 2 dollar thing.

I really hate to be a whiner to Verizon but it is a bit ridiculous to pay so much for coverage and not get it at least a fair enough portion of the time lately.

tronik
Oct 21, 2008

I think the trick is that if you don't get what you want with the current rep, call call again. When upgrading to my GNex I had two reps tell me I couldn't use my early upgrade to get such a new phone, but the third rep put the order through no problem. Verizon is called Big Red for a reason...they are a HUGE and incredibly disjointed organization, even when it comes to sales/tech support.

Bottom line: Keep calling/escalating until you get what you want.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

hotsauce posted:

Wow, Verizon seems to be acting pretty arrogant with these issues. They are the most expensive carrier in the US
I don't mean to nitpick here or anything, but you do realize that Verizon and AT&T are identical price wise right? AT&T is $5 cheaper per line with a smart phone. But minute & text wise, dollar for dime they are exactly the same. AT&T even offers unlimited any mobile to mobile.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

SeaborneClink posted:

I don't mean to nitpick here or anything, but you do realize that Verizon and AT&T are identical price wise right? AT&T is $5 cheaper per line with a smart phone. But minute & text wise, dollar for dime they are exactly the same. AT&T even offers unlimited any mobile to mobile.

Well, I guess I am speaking from a personal POV. I pay $112 total for two lines with unlimited data and a billion rollover minutes on ATT (after 24% corporate discount) and 200 texts per line. A comparable plan with metered data and non-rollover minutes on Verizon would top $150.

For a brand new user who doesn't care about watching minutes or data and doesn't have corporate discounts, it's probably a wash.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

hotsauce posted:

Well, I guess I am speaking from a personal POV. I pay $112 total for two lines with unlimited data and a billion rollover minutes on ATT (after 24% corporate discount) and 200 texts per line. A comparable plan with metered data and non-rollover minutes on Verizon would top $150.

For a brand new user who doesn't care about watching minutes or data and doesn't have corporate discounts, it's probably a wash.

Yes but you can't draw a direct comparison between your plan cost after FAN discount and a normal plan cost before discount. 'compared to my plan with xyz this plan with xyz is 25% more expensive after my 25% discount! :downswords:

Look:
AT&T 2 lines (smart phones), 700 minutes, unlimited SMS/MMS, 2GB Data
$70+$30+$25+25 = $150

VZW 2 lines (smart phones), 700 minutes, unlimited SMS/MMS, 2GB Data (or 4GB LTE)
$100+$30+$30 = $160

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

tronik posted:

I think the trick is that if you don't get what you want with the current rep, call call again. When upgrading to my GNex I had two reps tell me I couldn't use my early upgrade to get such a new phone, but the third rep put the order through no problem. Verizon is called Big Red for a reason...they are a HUGE and incredibly disjointed organization, even when it comes to sales/tech support.

Bottom line: Keep calling/escalating until you get what you want.

This, it was my second rep that gave me the credit. First one wanted to do a bunch of troubleshooting.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Is there a way to get an iPhone 4S with Applecare+ from Verizon, or would I have to go to Apple directly?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

SeaborneClink posted:

Yes but you can't draw a direct comparison between your plan cost after FAN discount and a normal plan cost before discount. 'compared to my plan with xyz this plan with xyz is 25% more expensive after my 25% discount! :downswords:

Look:
AT&T 2 lines (smart phones), 700 minutes, unlimited SMS/MMS, 2GB Data
$70+$30+$25+25 = $150

VZW 2 lines (smart phones), 700 minutes, unlimited SMS/MMS, 2GB Data (or 4GB LTE)
$100+$30+$30 = $160

Point taken. I didn't mention we get a 21% discount on Verizon as well. Unlimited data and virtually unlimited minutes have me blinded by the light I suppose. That and we use Whatsapp so texting is very occasional.

Verizon is a solid carrier for sure. This wasn't intended to become a debate about that. Your point is valid as is mine. We both have cellphones! Yay!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/29/leaked-memo-details-verizons-2-fee-for-paying-your-bill-autod/

According to this memo, Verizon will start charging a $2/month "convenience" fee for any bill payment that isn't ACH or auto-pay. I don't usually get fired up about this sort of thing but I'm kinda bothered that $112/mo isn't enough they have to nickel and dime me further.

Is this the sort of thing I could get out of a contract over?

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/29/leaked-memo-details-verizons-2-fee-for-paying-your-bill-autod/

According to this memo, Verizon will start charging a $2/month "convenience" fee for any bill payment that isn't ACH or auto-pay. I don't usually get fired up about this sort of thing but I'm kinda bothered that $112/mo isn't enough they have to nickel and dime me further.

I was just about to post this. I used to work for VZW years and years ago, they just keep getting worse and worse.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

hotsauce posted:

Point taken. I didn't mention we get a 21% discount on Verizon as well. Unlimited data and virtually unlimited minutes have me blinded by the light I suppose. That and we use Whatsapp so texting is very occasional.

Verizon is a solid carrier for sure. This wasn't intended to become a debate about that. Your point is valid as is mine. We both have cellphones! Yay!

Most discounts on AT&T only apply to the minutes, not the features. Are you getting a discount on your entire bill? That would be interesting. I've had two different corporate discounts that never had that applied that. My first was just given to me by a friend because it was the "best discount available", I didn't even work for the company at the time. Seeing as how that's not super legit and I wasn't poor I eventually switched it to my real corporate discount before switching to Verizon.

Verizon is the same way. For example I get 22% off my minutes and 20% off my features. My Verizon bill has ended up being cheaper because of this.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It isn't any bill payment, stop that. I don't think your contract covers payment terms, either.

This doesn't seem so horrible to me, it's in line with what most of the utility/cable companies I've dealt with do. You pay extra to pay over the phone or use a credit card. An electronic check online (how many people pay bills), mailing a check (outrageous concept, I know), or using auto-pay (which lets you use a credit/debit card without extra charge) do not charge a fee.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

WeaselWeaz posted:

It isn't any bill payment, stop that.

"A $2 convenience fee applies to all payments made by phone or online."

That's pretty much any relevant bill payment for anyone reading this thread - does anyone posting here actually go to a VZW store to pay their bill?

It's also unmitigated nickle-and-diming horseshit.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

That's pretty much any relevant bill payment for anyone reading this thread - does anyone posting here actually go to a VZW store to pay their bill?

It's stupid to call it a convenience fee, but everyone I know just uses the recurring payment feature anyway, so it's pretty much a non-issue.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

WeaselWeaz posted:

This doesn't seem so horrible to me, it's in line with what most of the utility/cable companies I've dealt with do. You pay extra to pay over the phone or use a credit card. An electronic check online (how many people pay bills), mailing a check (outrageous concept, I know), or using auto-pay (which lets you use a credit/debit card without extra charge) do not charge a fee.

This, yes it sucks but it's in line with what a lot of utility companies already charge. No that doesn't make it right but it isn't the end of times, hell most places in Houston charge 4 bucks for the convenience of using modern technology.

gently caress I hate convenience fees.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Kyrosiris posted:

That isn't what it says and I'm not sure you understand how quotes work. I think people misread the first line because "RARGH FEES" and apparently it stops them from reading the second line.

"The fee is waived for bill payments made by electronic check (also referred to as "ACH") and for all bill payments made on accounts that are enrolled in AutoPay with any payment method (Credit/debit/ACH card or electronic check)."

If you pay by electronic check you aren't charged. That is when you enter your routing number and checking account number and it hits your account as if it were a paper check. That's a pretty common payment method for online bills. You can also write a check and mail it. Yes, with a stamp. People have done that forever.

As far as nickle-and-diming goes this is pretty much just following what any other utility company would do. My gas company charges me $2.00 to pay online, but waives it if I use an electronic check instead of credit/debit. Not that big a deal.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

maduin posted:

It's stupid to call it a convenience fee, but everyone I know just uses the recurring payment feature anyway, so it's pretty much a non-issue.

I'm on a family plan where several people pay separately. I'm guessing (but hope I'm wrong!) that there isn't a way to do recurring partial payments. It also means if each of us five pay online separately, they're getting $10 extra. Not the end of the world, but annoying. It was a nice and convenient way to split the bill.

Edit: ^^^^^^ Paying by ACH whatever sounds good to me actually, I also have to do that to avoid $2-4 fees for electric and gas.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

WeaselWeaz posted:

As far as nickle-and-diming goes this is pretty much just following what any other utility company would do.

That doesn't make it not dogshit, and yes, it is a big deal.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I just send a check via my banks website. Guess this will not affect me.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

That doesn't make it not dogshit, and yes, it is a big deal.

Verizon has been making *huge* strides towards becoming the next ATT monopoly. I mean look at Verizon's ownership - they basically have the entire planet's telecom system in their hands (verizon/vodaphone). BT (who owns tmobile) owns less poo poo than that. They just comcast to agree to not compete with them over mobile (and that they won't compete with comcast over cable), so we're pretty much more hosed than ever before. That was basically an agreement to maintain monopoly.

This is just standard step of any monopoly: creep up prices on things that cost them $0 since there is no competition.

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison
Any idea why I would keep getting the error "Please try again later" when trying to add a number to be blocked on my account? I can do it on the other phone on my account with no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

WeaselWeaz posted:

That isn't what it says and I'm not sure you understand how quotes work. I think people misread the first line because "RARGH FEES" and apparently it stops them from reading the second line.

"The fee is waived for bill payments made by electronic check (also referred to as "ACH") and for all bill payments made on accounts that are enrolled in AutoPay with any payment method (Credit/debit/ACH card or electronic check)."

If you pay by electronic check you aren't charged. That is when you enter your routing number and checking account number and it hits your account as if it were a paper check. That's a pretty common payment method for online bills. You can also write a check and mail it. Yes, with a stamp. People have done that forever.

As far as nickle-and-diming goes this is pretty much just following what any other utility company would do. My gas company charges me $2.00 to pay online, but waives it if I use an electronic check instead of credit/debit. Not that big a deal.

Thanks for assuming that I didn't read the entire article. I am aware that autopay (which I don't like to use because I've been burned too many times and I like to control when I pay my bills) and ACH (which I guess I will begrudgingly use) are exempt but that still doesn't stop it from being nickel and diming bullshit. I feel that same way about my electric company charging a fee to use a debit card (I pay with a check - loved your condescending attitude by the way) and my old bank charging ATM fees (switched to a bank that refunds fees each month). There is no reason to charge a fee for this other than greed.

• Locked thread