Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Borh posted:

Bryan has apparently just come to the realization that it is not a good idea for a 140 pound man to start drinking on an empty stomach at 2 pm, proceed to get totally wasted, eat an enormous amount of food afterwards, go out on a loving boat and then try to do another radio show a few hours later with no sleep in between. I guess there's hope for him yet.

Our little Bryan is growing up. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Borh posted:

I guess there's hope for him yet.

There is a big difference between realizing it, and not doing it again. I have no hope of the second.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Knowing Bryan's conclusions ahead of time made listening to his whole spiel about drinking that much funnier.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Avenging_Mikon posted:

There is a big difference between realizing it, and not doing it again. I have no hope of the second.

Oh, steps 1 and 2 are happening again. He'll probably avoid the rest now.

I did love Vinny's gleeful retort on the corresponding B&V show. "I feel better than when we started!" :haw:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Is anyone surprised that Dave used the death of Kim Jong Il as an excuse to do an article on Japanese Wrestling?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Sue Denim posted:

I have quite a bit of free time at the moment, does anyone have any recommendations from the Observer/F4 archives?

Any reviews of PPV's or shows/interviews that were particularly memorable?

Adding to this, the reviews of the $1M giveaway episodes of RAW (June 10 and June 18, 2008) are also great.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

LordPants posted:

Is anyone surprised that Dave used the death of Kim Jong Il as an excuse to do an article on Japanese Wrestling?
Are you surprised after he said wanted to watch Raw in his son's hospital room, wound up watching Popeye instead and that somehow became a conversation on wrestling booking when he did the show with Bryan?

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Borh posted:

That, plus my standard answer of the review of the BARBED WIRED CHRISTMAS TREE~! edition of Impact. It's the December 21st 2007 B&V show. It's seasonal too. In that spirit, you could also check out the Christmas shows, if drunken ramblings and unfortunate phone calls are the sort of thing that appeals to you.
Thanks! I wanted to hear this but had no idea what year/time in December it was from.

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Adding to this, the reviews of the $1M giveaway episodes of RAW (June 10 and June 18, 2008) are also great.
Fantastic, this exactly what I wanted, specific shows that were really good.

How active was the Observer/F4 during 199/200/2001?

I wish they had stuff from this time archived, it would be really awesome being able to watch old Nitro's/Raw/PPV's and then read or listen to stuff about them from the time.

That and I'm sure the stuff from that time would be really interesting since wrestling was so big.

Bikeage
Nov 10, 2009
I figure they were as active as ever, but I think some F4Ws from that period were on a computer that crashed and would have to be retyped from print copies, which isn't likely to happen.

The Observers from then will be uploaded in like 3 years or so at the rate classic issues are uploaded now. Probably the best easily accessible source for Bryan/Dave commentary from that era is the Observer Live shows on the board.

If you're open to something not about WWF or WCW in the slightest from that era, I highly recommend the F4W newsletter from the King of the Indies 2001 tournament. It's a great example of Bryan's gonzo on-the-road journalism and has a great look into one of his first in-person meetings with Dave and a description of his home life. I love non-wrestling-Dave stuff so I popped for that. Bryan Danielson was in the tournament and I think won, and you may recognize some other names there too.

(e: Yup, he won, link: http://www.f4wonline.com/newsletter-archive/figure-four-weekly/1001-f4w332-american-dragon-wins-king-of-indies-2001-november-5-2001)

Bikeage fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 29, 2011

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Wrestling Observer Live archive is basically your best window into that period for the next 5 years until the back issues catch up. Once a year Dave is a cool guy and posts a major issue from the past out of the normal back issue schedule, but other than that there isn't much. The WOLs however are great. There are a ton of great interviews plus news and analysis from the era. The March 2001 shows in particular are fascinating, you get to hear the blow by blow of the WCW sale and the lead up to X7.

Wrestling fans were super spoiled in 1999-2001 with a daily two hour block of wrestling internet radio. At the time it was a fun novelty, but looking back I wish I took advantage of it more at the time.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

The Wrestling Observer Live archive is basically your best window into that period for the next 5 years until the back issues catch up. Once a year Dave is a cool guy and posts a major issue from the past out of the normal back issue schedule, but other than that there isn't much. The WOLs however are great. There are a ton of great interviews plus news and analysis from the era. The March 2001 shows in particular are fascinating, you get to hear the blow by blow of the WCW sale and the lead up to X7.
Are you talking about the one's on THE BOARD or are they archived somewhere else?

And does anyone know if there were any interviews with writers prior to writers week 2011?

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 29, 2011

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Up until now the only wrestling podcasts I've been listening to in recent months have been on WON/F4W. Tonight, I decided to change it up and listened to a couple episodes of LAW and Smart Wrestling Fan. Very enjoyable so far. LAW doesn't seem particularly hilarious or informative but the two guys are cool and seem like very down-to-earth wrestling fans, and SWF (which I'm listening to right now) is incredibly fun. Thanks for expanding my horizons once again, PSP.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Dec 29, 2011

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

Cardboard Box posted:

Up until now the only wrestling podcasts I've been listening to in recent months have been on WON/F4W. Tonight, I decided to change it up and listened to a couple episodes of LAW and Smart Wrestling Fan. Very enjoyable so far. LAW doesn't seem particularly hilarious or informative but the two guys are cool and seem like very down-to-earth wrestling fans, and SWF (which I'm listening to right now) is incredibly fun. Thanks for expanding my horizons once again, PSP.

Yay!

New end-of-year SWFy award show is up, by the way, with the next chapters of the great epic, 'From Under The Bed'. If you haven't heard the previous chapters of that, here's the first.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sue Denim posted:

How active was the Observer/F4 during 199/200/2001?

I wish they had stuff from this time archived, it would be really awesome being able to watch old Nitro's/Raw/PPV's and then read or listen to stuff about them from the time.

That and I'm sure the stuff from that time would be really interesting since wrestling was so big.

Bryan has said there is another reason why the old F4Ws are not up: they are terrible.

There is a thread in the Alan4L section of the board where someone goes through past F4Ws from 2000. He has done around a dozen, and they are hilarious, if just for how many times Bryan compares Chris Benoit to a killer.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Oh one more archives question, were there any big events that made for big stories that were covered really heavily?

I've already gone through all the stuff about He who shall not be named from morbid curiosity to see how the story unfolded with all the details slowly leaking through.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sue Denim posted:

Are you talking about the one's on THE BOARD or are they archived somewhere else?

And does anyone know if there were any interviews with writers prior to writers week 2011?

The shows on the Board, I don't know of others, unfortunately.

There have been writers on for years and a writers week prior to at least the last three WMs, maybe more.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Sue Denim posted:

The writer's week interviews were also done in 2009 and 2010. And dittoing the WOL archives on the board from '99-2001. Holy poo poo those are wonderful. From the final show on 7/9/2001 (paraphrasing):

Caller: "Do you think that WWF will put Linda or Stephanie in charge of the new ECW on screen?"

Dave: "There is no way that will happen."

Later that same night...

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

DKP has an interview with STEEEEEN~! I haven't listened to any of this Christmas Shows but that's the 3rd in the last week!

Also we did another pspcast finally.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

HulkaMatt posted:

DKP has an interview with STEEEEEN~! I haven't listened to any of this Christmas Shows but that's the 3rd in the last week!

good interview

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The front page photo on F4W amused me.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I hadn't listened to one of these before but it was pretty enjoyable to have on in the background while I was drawing.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

HulkaMatt posted:

Also we did another pspcast finally.
I got back in around WM25 so the 2008 recap was really interesting.

e: Wait what the gently caress. How does a scramble match end?
Wikipedia says the Unforgiven 2008 WWE scramble went 20:00 and the WHC scramble 17:17.

Did they just say the show was over after 17 minutes?

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 30, 2011

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I got back in around WM25 so the 2008 recap was really interesting.

e: Wait what the gently caress. How does a scramble match end?
Wikipedia says the Unforgiven 2008 WWE scramble went 20:00 and the WHC scramble 17:17.

Did they just say the show was over after 17 minutes?

It's supposed to end at 20 minutes, I assume they just hosed up.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Thanks, looking forward to the writer podcasts, since I miss Formerly Creative in principle but know deep down that the shows were getting tedious.

Really dug Steen's interview, after watching the ROH PPV and after hearing this interview I have really high hopes of young Steen. He's a smart guy and really has an undeniable passion for what he does which are promising building blocks.

Edit: Nevermind.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 30, 2011

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Bryan and Vinny saying TNA comes off more bush league than Portland Wrestling (which was Oregon's main indy promotion) made me laugh.

EDIT: How on earth am I supposed to listen to older episodes of Smart Wrestling Fan, anyway? This Podbean site is a piece of poo poo and won't load anything other than the most recently posted one, no matter what I do. I can't even download it because it just loops back to the download page.

EDIT 2: I think I figured it out. Seems like the two podcasts before the most recent one--Tribute to the TLC and the Lashley/Slammys, specifically--just don't work. The one's before that one load up fine. Weird.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 31, 2011

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

You could also subscribe on iTunes, that way you don't have to worry about lovely old podbean and pick and choose what you'd like. (It's what I do)

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I'd really rather not have anything to do with iTunes if I have the chance.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Cardboard Box posted:

I'd really rather not have anything to do with iTunes if I have the chance.

Zune is what I use and it works okay.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
I can't seem to find where the pdf versions of the newsletters are on WO, can someone tell me?

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

Sue Denim posted:

I can't seem to find where the pdf versions of the newsletters are on WO, can someone tell me?

If you're looking for Observers, there aren't any. There used to be at one time, because the site template they're using had a thing that automatically converted html pages to lovely PDF's and Bryan never bothered to take it out, so you could get them that way. But then people would complain because the formatting on the PDF was all wrong and there were a lot of weird characters and symbols scattered about, which I believe led Dave to get rid of it because for some reason he isn't too keen on having PDF versions of the Observer circulating on the Internet.

Or maybe it's all a plot by Bryan to get some people to actually read his newsletter instead, but the end result is the same.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Borh posted:

which I believe led Dave to get rid of it because for some reason he isn't too keen on having PDF versions of the Observer circulating on the Internet.

Dave put PDF versions of the Observer on the internet for awhile about ten years ago and it led to massive piracy that hurt his subscription business pretty badly.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

jeffersonlives posted:

Dave put PDF versions of the Observer on the internet for awhile about ten years ago and it led to massive piracy that hurt his subscription business pretty badly.

I get that, and Dave is certainly within his rights to do it, but honestly, the moment he started putting up the newsletter online in whatever form, the cat was out of the bag. If there are people out there really determined to pirate the Observer, even if they didn't want to simply share it in html format, I'm sure having to take the minimal extra step of converting it to PDF is not what's going to deter them.

It's akin to those DRM schemes that are a lot more successful at causing annoyance to your paying customers than actually stopping the pirates. Once his business model shifted from primarily selling subscriptions to a print newsletter to providing online content, there's really no reason not to have PDF's available.

Borh fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 1, 2012

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

Cardboard Box posted:

Bryan and Vinny saying TNA comes off more bush league than Portland Wrestling (which was Oregon's main indy promotion) made me laugh.

EDIT: How on earth am I supposed to listen to older episodes of Smart Wrestling Fan, anyway? This Podbean site is a piece of poo poo and won't load anything other than the most recently posted one, no matter what I do. I can't even download it because it just loops back to the download page.

EDIT 2: I think I figured it out. Seems like the two podcasts before the most recent one--Tribute to the TLC and the Lashley/Slammys, specifically--just don't work. The one's before that one load up fine. Weird.

Generally we don't have many back episodes up for space reasons. We have pretty high-quality, long shows and get a reasonable number of downloads so we can't really afford to have them all up. Episodes from 200 and back are up on our website for free though and ones after that (most recently #230) are uploaded on Extra.

But yeah it's an annoying thing that we have to do.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Yeah, I getcha. Bandwidth is a bitch.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Borh posted:

If you're looking for Observers, there aren't any. There used to be at one time, because the site template they're using had a thing that automatically converted html pages to lovely PDF's and Bryan never bothered to take it out, so you could get them that way. But then people would complain because the formatting on the PDF was all wrong and there were a lot of weird characters and symbols scattered about, which I believe led Dave to get rid of it because for some reason he isn't too keen on having PDF versions of the Observer circulating on the Internet.

Or maybe it's all a plot by Bryan to get some people to actually read his newsletter instead, but the end result is the same.
Odd, you'd think having it in html makes it even easier since all you have to do is copy and paste, particularly if it's just segments.

I would probably keep my subscription much more regular if I could get the newsletters in PDF and read them on a smart phone or even desktop. Maybe it's because I'm impatient but the wall of text really turns me off.

Although at the same time having the PDF convenience isn't enough to encourage me to read F4 instead.

I can't really complain since the podcasts alone are such good value for the fee, but PDF's would be much more professional and I'd be really happy to be able to keep them on my hard drive. A nice compromise would be if he could make the pages a bit easier on the eyes.

Still can't fault Meltzer though, he works far too hard to not do everything he can to protect the fiscal value of his work.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Not that it's a big deal, but it would be nice if that F4W iphone app wasn't useless. Being able to read the newsletters there would help.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Sue Denim posted:

I can't really complain since the podcasts alone are such good value for the fee, but PDF's would be much more professional and I'd be really happy to be able to keep them on my hard drive. A nice compromise would be if he could make the pages a bit easier on the eyes.

I don't have much use for PDF's, though I can see why some people would want them, but I wish Meltzer would just hire a guy to spend a couple of hours every week proof-reading the Observer and fixing up the formatting. Hell, get Vinny to do it. It's not a deal-breaker, because ultimately it's the content that matters and that's far and above anything else that's available, but between Dave's quirky writing style and the abstruse formatting, the Observer can be pretty hard to read sometimes.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Borh posted:

I don't have much use for PDF's, though I can see why some people would want them, but I wish Meltzer would just hire a guy to spend a couple of hours every week proof-reading the Observer and fixing up the formatting. Hell, get Vinny to do it. It's not a deal-breaker, because ultimately it's the content that matters and that's far and above anything else that's available, but between Dave's quirky writing style and the abstruse formatting, the Observer can be pretty hard to read sometimes.

By the sound of it Dave likes to sit up til 5 in the morning finishing the newsletters, so adding a proofreading step to the process would delay things another half a day or so.

Then again I don't care about deadlines much so I wouldn't mind that.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Borh posted:

As crazy as this sounds, he already has one, Scott Williams. If you think Meltzerese is bad now, you should read some ones from before about 2006.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Beeswax posted:

By the sound of it Dave likes to sit up til 5 in the morning finishing the newsletters, so adding a proofreading step to the process would delay things another half a day or so.

Then again I don't care about deadlines much so I wouldn't mind that.

I wouldn't mind if it came a day late. It's not like I'm reading the Observer for breaking news, since most major things will have been covered by front page updates and audio. Its strength is in the in-depth features and analysis and that's what would benefit the most from some editing.

jeffersonlives posted:

As crazy as this sounds, he already has one, Scott Williams. If you think Meltzerese is bad now, you should read some ones from before about 2006.

Well, I would say the guy is not doing a very good job, but yeah, the old issues are sometimes worse, though if you hadn't told me otherwise I would have attributed it to Meltzer ironing out some kinks in his writing with added experience. And yeah, like Beeswax mentioned, I get the feeling Dave's workflow goes something like: "It's 5 AM, here's this week's newsletter; make sure it's ready to be up on the site by 7. Oh and I may want to add in some more stuff at the last minute", so that's not helping matters either.

• Locked thread