Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

There are still apologists for even the worst fights once they are over. A couple people here even say that Woli wasn't that bad. Crazy, I know.

I probably consider myself an Ippo apologist. I dunno, maybe I'm overly optimistic, but a few bad fights hasn't really stopped me enjoying the series.
But the Woli fight was just terrible in every way. The comeback was just so freaking stupid. I can't imagine anyone not considering it as the weakest fight in the entire series thus far.
Oh, except for Itagaki fights, because these are just getting ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Gogey posted:

I don't know, the driving loving tree trunks into hills with his fists kinda got me

To me, it was the Miyata/RBJ fight. It started off pretty well and was a cool concept, a switch-hitter against counter-puncher, but then Miyata punches him so fast that he breaks the sound barrier? Come on now.

Zahrkon
Apr 2, 2010
My personal theory is that the ippo vs miyata fight was supposed to happen and begin the end of the manga but the editors refused to let it end. Afterwards Morikawa stopped giving a gently caress.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Zahrkon posted:

My personal theory is that the ippo vs miyata fight was supposed to happen and begin the end of the manga but the editors refused to let it end. Afterwards Morikawa stopped giving a gently caress.

I think he said before that he wanted to end at the Ippo/Sendou rematch for the championship.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Hajime no Ippo: Another three minutes of nobody landing a hit

The first salvo of punches from Saeki looked like fireball spam from DBZ.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
I just sat down and read every translated issue of RRR. Man RRR owns.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Speaking of RRR there's a new chapter out. This Ippo thread is stinking up the RRR conversation however; could someone make an RRR thread?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
RRR is already complete, no? How many long is it?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Rename this one and redo the op? General punchsport manga thread? I know Zorak prefers less megathreads, but these mangas have pretty slow discussion.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I figure Ippo, RRR, AR Meguru, Karate something something Meguru, etc. can fill a thread. Lord knows Ippo alone can't.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Centzon Totochtin posted:

To me, it was the Miyata/RBJ fight. It started off pretty well and was a cool concept, a switch-hitter against counter-puncher, but then Miyata punches him so fast that he breaks the sound barrier? Come on now.

Its funny because in Baki, which is known for being completely absurd and admitting these people are far stronger than normal athletes, someone actually creates a punch that breaks the sound barrier and his arms basically burst apart when he uses it as well as he completely mangles his hands when they land.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Rename this one and redo the op? General punchsport manga thread? I know Zorak prefers less megathreads, but these mangas have pretty slow discussion.

Hey man feel free to make a new thread, I don't actually read many sports manga, I originally :effort: made this so people would stop posting about manga spoilers in the Ippo anime thread.

coathat
May 21, 2007

http://www.mangareader.net/rrr/56

New chapter the fight is finally starting!

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Kweh posted:

Hey man feel free to make a new thread, I don't actually read many sports manga, I originally :effort: made this so people would stop posting about manga spoilers in the Ippo anime thread.

Guess I'll toss an op together if anyone else thinks its a good idea. Dunno if it should be a sports or martial arts/punchsport thread though.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
You are not combining the eight thousand fighting manga into one megathread

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
New chapter.

Yay, Itagaki's losing. Please let his stubbornness cost him the match.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Won't happen unfortunatly. Enjoy the beating while it lasts I guess. Then wait for the inevitable Ippo vs Itagaki where he'll finally lose.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
This was actually almost interesting.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Another fight where a superior boxer begins to beat the poo poo out of one of our 'protagonists' only to somehow magically lose. Because Itagaki is in no way known for super retard stamina, and there is absolutely no way he should be able to come back from a beating like this....and yet that's almost 100% what is going to happen. He will somehow get one over on the boxer that is faster, stronger, and smarter than him after spending all this time getting loving wailed on.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

He'll almost undoubtedly discover HIS NEXT GEAR and shift to a "plain that Saeki cannot comprehend" and thus disappear from everyone's sight for an extended period of time, Saeki seeming to reel from invisible blows, before finally falling to the ground.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Mr. Deathy posted:

He'll almost undoubtedly discover HIS NEXT GEAR and shift to a "plain that Saeki cannot comprehend" and thus disappear from everyone's sight for an extended period of time, Saeki seeming to reel from invisible blows, before finally falling to the ground.
And then Saeki will be stunned, unable to comprehend how there was a plane of existence beyond his. Then Itagaki knocks him out and he goes unconscious until after Itagaki is announced winner.
Then Saeki will get one of those dumb smirks and think about how Itagaki has improved and poo poo and got better because the two fought blah blah blah

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Mr. Deathy posted:

I'd rather he just disappear from everyone's sight forever, reappearing sporadically to make bad puns.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
No, the most natural thing in the world will happen. Rather than Itagaki disappearing, once they finish their zwee contest the two boxers will discover that the entire audience disappeared instead. HnI will become more meta than Bakuman.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

frabba posted:

If Itagaki doesn't get punched in the face I am going to be so upset.

I am appeased.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Oh hey, a new chapter.

Itagaki's still losing. Still stupid.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Just more proof that Kamogawa knows nothing about boxing beyond "hit guys hard".

"Itagaki is still relatively unhurt!"
*Is literally bleeding from the mouth*

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

This just makes the ensuing comeback that much more bullshit.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
That's loving stupid. The whole reason that worked against Ippo was because he was slow. Itagaki is fast and should be able to keep him in his field of vision when he moves. Morikawa just doesn't give a gently caress anymore, does he?

Also, I'm not a boxer or anything, but when I close one of my eyes I don't lose half of my loving field of vision. IT's more like 25-33%.

Zellyn fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 14, 2012

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This chapter wasn't bad. The manga does improve when boxers are actually throwing punches instead of dancing and running.

The thing is that, in order to do a comeback the manga has pretty much established that you have to either a) Hit really loving hard or b) Do a huge counter. (Which happens to be kinda the way it works in real life). Itagaki is not a power-hitter so a) is out but neither is Saeki so he won't get that damaged with a counter and b) is out too.

So, in order to win (and the fucker will win) Itagaki will have to go beyond the impossible and do some incredibly lame bullshit. My bet is that he will go "Great Tiger" and attack from many different spots a the same time.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

trucutru posted:

This chapter wasn't bad. The manga does improve when boxers are actually throwing punches instead of dancing and running.

The thing is that, in order to do a comeback the manga has pretty much established that you have to either a) Hit really loving hard or b) Do a huge counter. (Which happens to be kinda the way it works in real life). Itagaki is not a power-hitter so a) is out but neither is Saeki so he won't get that damaged with a counter and b) is out too.

So, in order to win (and the fucker will win) Itagaki will have to go beyond the impossible and do some incredibly lame bullshit. My bet is that he will go "Great Tiger" and attack from many different spots a the same time.

Well as the previous Itagaki fights have shown, when Itagaki sees the little ghosts who tell him what to do, he gets his rear end kicked. But when he gets hit hard enough that the ghosts shut the gently caress up, he suddenly moves super fast and his punches hit like trucks.

Seabreeze
Aug 13, 2011

WeaponBoy posted:

That's loving stupid. The whole reason that worked against Ippo was because he was slow. Itagaki is fast and should be able to keep him in his field of vision when he moves. Morikawa just doesn't give a gently caress anymore, does he?

Also, I'm not a boxer or anything, but when I close one of my eyes I don't lose half of my loving field of vision. IT's more like 25-33%.

It's an exaggeration but getting an eye closed up is a very bad thing in a fight. Look at George St. Pierre vs. Koschek for a relatively recent example.

A closed up right eye makes you very vulnerable to jabs and left hooks

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Aww man, here comes the bullshit. Just for a moment there I thought Morikawa was finally going to let him lose, but nope Magic super feet to the rescue.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
In other boxing manga news, RRR has been really good recently

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
http://mangastream.com/read/hajime_no_ippo/39650806/1

GOD MODE ACTIVATE

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Y'all are missing it. This is a new epoch of boxing manga! The future! Instead of burning shonen spirit, the new paradigm is burning COMEDY SPIRIT!

Pun gags to the rescue! With your puns and my horrible comedic timing, we can rule the boxing world!

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
All I want from the next chapter is for the first page to be blank, with "..." on it or something, and the next panel to be the custodian scraping Itagaki's remains off the floor of the ring. Is that too much to ask?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Ohhh I get it. He's entering focus mode by trying to come up with puns as his body does the work for him. By NOT thinking about fighting, he will win by sheer ability

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

ilifin posted:

Ohhh I get it. He's entering focus mode by trying to come up with puns as his body does the work for him. By NOT thinking about fighting, he will win by sheer ability

No, but he adapts the fighting style of each animal he thinks of and Saeki can't keep up with all the different styles!

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Centzon Totochtin posted:

No, but he adapts the fighting style of each animal he thinks of and Saeki can't keep up with all the different styles!
Doubt it, his superpower is the puns handed down from his father

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Itagaki is gonna win, but him getting punched in the face for most of the fight is an improvement at least.