Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
I love ATLUS. They troll the fanbase so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Game of Thrones.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Game of Thrones.

One of the Admins over on the Atlus forums already denied that.

Onion of Mystery posted:

I am going to do something rare on the forums and make a declarative statement regarding a tease, just to clear some of the confusion I've seen running around.

This is NOT for Game of Thrones. We've already announced that, so go ahead and scratch it off your G-list.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
My parents were looking to get something for my brother for Christmas, he likes PC games and I remember he really liked playing the Champions of Norrath games with me for the PS2. So I recommended that they get the Lord of the Rings: War in the North for him, do you guys think he'll probably be satisfied with that?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I heard it's an good co-op game so yeah if you'll play with him then that's a good choice.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Some suspicions are that the other G game is Gloria Union and that Atlus is just trolling the gently caress out of Growlanser fans for "publicity", fyi. If they are it's the dumbest move they could ever make, but...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

SpaceDrake posted:

Some suspicions are that the other G game is Gloria Union and that Atlus is just trolling the gently caress out of Growlanser fans for "publicity", fyi. If they are it's the dumbest move they could ever make, but...

Announcing two Sting games back to back doesn't seem like a good idea, and it'd be a pretty dick move with the way they've strung everyone along.

What interests me in the Growlancer games from what I've read up is combining world exploration with SRPG combat, and how player choice can radically alter how the story progress and ends. The art style is hideous but oddly faux-nostalgic to all that 90s anime I never watched.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rinkles posted:

What interests me in the Growlancer games from what I've read up is combining world exploration with SRPG combat, and how player choice can radically alter how the story progress and ends. The art style is hideous but oddly faux-nostalgic to all that 90s anime I never watched.

Growlanser 2 was the last game I played that I really, really felt accomplished playing because I figured out how to do its "best ending" quest on my own. There was this big chain of events that you had to do, and you had to do exceptionally well in the missions, and you needed to give very specific answers, but I never once felt it was unfair. The components weren't outright obvious, but they were vaguely evident enough that you could figure them out if you put a bit of thought into it. It doesn't change much, but I like that there's that sort of variance that can lend that feeling of accomplishment to a player, and that it's solvable without a guide.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This thread just reminded me that I never got Knights in the Nightmare, which is the best version DS or PSP?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

This thread just reminded me that I never got Knights in the Nightmare, which is the best version DS or PSP?

PSP version has more content but the game was really clearly designed to be played on a touch screen and feels like a thousand times more awkward on the PSP. I'd rather have less content and play on the DS.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Sakurazuka posted:

As ImpAtom said, PSP version has more content, and having played both version, I feel the differences in control style are negligible. My views may be skewed, however, since I've always hated using the stylus.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

I've played both too and the game is totally playable on PSP. You lose a little precision, but it's not really a big deal. The UI on the PSP version is a lot less cluttered too.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah the PSP version's UI is way improved, but I still like the DS version's controls a lot better. Either one will do you alright though.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

I should probably give the DS version another go now that I have an XL. Last time I played it, it was on an original DS. The tiny screens plus the messy UI made it a rough experience.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Has anyone played Crimson Gem Saga on the PSP? It's a pretty old game and was surprised to see it hasn't had a price cut. Not sure if it's worth it since crappy small time reviews seem to be extremely polarized between good and awful. I do like good sprite work though.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I brought this up in the Steam thread last night but apparently the price for The Last Remnant went up $10 on there about a month ago.

How the hell does that happen on a digital distribution service? :psyduck:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Rascyc posted:

Has anyone played Crimson Gem Saga on the PSP? It's a pretty old game and was surprised to see it hasn't had a price cut. Not sure if it's worth it since crappy small time reviews seem to be extremely polarized between good and awful. I do like good sprite work though.

I asked this before in the thread and was told it's as mediocre as reviews suggest. Atlus really pisses me off with their refusal to lower their ridiculous prices so I was happy to buy it used. Anyway, it's as mediocre as the thread told me it was! Enemies have too many HP so battles take too long, dungeons might as well be randomly generated because they're just the same room over and over, towns are haphazardly designed, dialogue and story are uninteresting.

There's a good amount of skills to learn in battle and Spinel's voice actress is very good (her character design is...so bad). If all you're looking for is a generic RPG because sometimes they make you happy then pick it up! Used though. Don't give Atlus that much money for this.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
So I've been getting back into White Knight Chronicles 2 since I found out that they released a big patch a short while back. They've added in guilds, which are pretty neat. Each guild gets it's own hometown where guild members can create games, and you can find every type of store there (some of which offer a discount if your guild is in the top ten of the rankings). Additionally, you get guild tokens each day that you can use on a quest. These award prestige points for your guild and Geostones that you can use to "Geoforge" special unique items and a random selection of monster bits, potions, and whatnot that changes each day. Another neat aspect is that the guild leader can select one of the important NPCs from the SP game to act as concierge for your guild. This is mostly just for flavor text, but it also makes special accessories available for purchase that make your character's armor look like that particular NPCs unique outfit/armor.

Other than that, they've added new quests that allow multiple players to transform at once, upped the GP rewards for some quests (my favorite grinding quest has gone from 75,000 to 125,000~!), new DLC to purchase, and some new items to craft. With regards to the DLC, it's still almost entirely optional. You can now buy "cheaper" versions of the regularly available Knight Armor recipes that you can't customize the color of, and color packs for those of us that want to be a special snowflake but don't want to wait to get the necessary guild rank to craft the colors, both 99 cents a pop. The only dick move is the best knight armors currently available in the game are DLC only at GR27 and look like the unique knights from SP, but they're still only 99 cents each.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Rascyc posted:

It's pretty mediocre, the game mechanics doesnt blend together that well and the main part(the rts battle) arent that great.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Thanks, I'll just give it a pass for now.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

iastudent posted:

I brought this up in the Steam thread last night but apparently the price for The Last Remnant went up $10 on there about a month ago.

How the hell does that happen on a digital distribution service? :psyduck:

I get the feeling Square Japan is a little more involved in this decision than anything, although it's still really weird to see that on Steam of all places, where we have entire weeks full of Square deals and they've got to make loving bank... mostly on the Eidos games in their catalog. Hmm. I see a pattern here.

I would love to see the financials for that company sometime and see how much is US branch vs. Japanese branch in the past few years. I imagine we might have an edge since we did not make FFXIV...

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Has anyone played Knights of the Chalice? Can you actually beat the spider queen in the cave when you first encounter her or is this one of those games where you randomly get demolished and you have to remember to come back in four hours when you can actually do the fight?

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007

Coolio posted:

Has anyone played Knights of the Chalice? Can you actually beat the spider queen in the cave when you first encounter her or is this one of those games where you randomly get demolished and you have to remember to come back in four hours when you can actually do the fight?

As I recall, it is possible if you get lucky. I had to reload a bunch of times.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
You have to plan it carefully, and almost certainly kill the early spiders first instead of letting yourself get taken to the direct meeting. Fire, acid, positioning are key alongside a bit of luck---gotta funnel'em best you can.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I ended up just coming back after leveling, the first time I got webbed and fireballed to death.

Got level drained by a vamp on the way out. How do I cure that? A scroll of remove negative energy costs over 4000 gold.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
How bad is Fable III?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kneel Before Zog posted:

How bad is Fable III?

It could be worse but it is a serious step backwards from Fable II in pretty much every way.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kneel Before Zog posted:

How bad is Fable III?

It has very fun, lovable, and entirely charming characters--good dialogue and setpiece writing--but your motivation as the player gets impossibly disconnected because the storytelling is pretty crappy. Totally worth a Steam Sale pricetag, though.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

Kneel Before Zog posted:

How bad is Fable III?

It's not as bad as some folks might say but it isn't the best (especially now that Fable 1 is on steam)

It's "polished" I guess almost to a fault, everything feels kind of... pasteurized? For a lack of a better term. It really takes the recent trend of games getting simpler to a new level, sure the first two weren't high level affairs (though I never dug the second in the first place and adored the first) but this one especially can be boiled down to essentially a one button game for the whole game. As well towards the end it becomes very tedious and the occasionally trite story reaches a new level of inane, though before then it has some charm here and there as others have said. That all said it's Fable and if you like Fable (and are willing to put in a good couple hours to get past all the intro bits) it's fine for killing time.

I recommend picking up Fable Lost Chapters on steam if anything, it's old but I feel it actually did a lot of things better than it's successors.

And finally, especially for you if you haven't but for anyone that hasn't heard of it, Giant Bomb is an amazing resource for seeing a good chunk of a game and how it plays without specific special bits being picked out. http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-fable-iii/17-3419/ Here's a taste of how it actually looks and plays in action.

Typhus733 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 4, 2012

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Coolio posted:

Yeah, you can kill it the first time you fight it. The idea, though, is to explore the rest of the cave before you fight the spider and use the wand you get from the vampire on it. The game is all about hard battles and this is your introduction. Also, it wasn't in the version I played, but apparently there's a dwarf back at the main fort that can heal level drain.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Chef Boyardee posted:

Yeah, you can kill it the first time you fight it. The idea, though, is to explore the rest of the cave before you fight the spider and use the wand you get from the vampire on it. The game is all about hard battles and this is your introduction. Also, it wasn't in the version I played, but apparently there's a dwarf back at the main fort that can heal level drain.

I had it on my wizard since they're the only class that can use wands and before his turn even came up the whole party got webbed and fireballed from across the room and he died instantly. I looked up info on the game in other forums since there's no guide and apparently the pro strat is to give improved initiative to literally everyone to make sure enemies don't just kill you before you can even act. Also my party setup of two knights one cleric one mage is apparently one of the worst ones possible slightly above a party of nothing but knights but I guess that was my fault for assuming fighters would be good in something based off of 3.5 DnD.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Isn't Fable 3 the one where you can't die, you just get back up and do a sick awesome move that takes out everyone around you. I think that should tell anyone everything they need to know.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Coolio posted:

I had it on my wizard since they're the only class that can use wands and before his turn even came up the whole party got webbed and fireballed from across the room and he died instantly. I looked up info on the game in other forums since there's no guide and apparently the pro strat is to give improved initiative to literally everyone to make sure enemies don't just kill you before you can even act. Also my party setup of two knights one cleric one mage is apparently one of the worst ones possible slightly above a party of nothing but knights but I guess that was my fault for assuming fighters would be good in something based off of 3.5 DnD.

Protip: Above a certain level, literally every monster in the DnD 3.5 monster manual has improved initiative, so you need to take it just to be even with your enemies. Without having every played or heard of the game in question I'm assuming it uses the same monster design.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh

rodbeard posted:

Protip: Above a certain level, literally every monster in the DnD 3.5 monster manual has improved initiative, so you need to take it just to be even with your enemies. Without having every played or heard of the game in question I'm assuming it uses the same monster design.

That level, apparently, is "level 4"

I made a new party of two clerics and two mages and its so much better. I had to load the first fight a few times cause the ally npc ai is retarded and level 1 mages and clerics with two spells a fight and basic equipment (you can't even load your mages up with crossbows until you find them off enemies!) aren't exactly good combatants. Now that I'm starting to be able to cast more than one or two spells a fight the going is so much smoother. Beat spider queen in one go without needing to level and come back.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Is there something similar to knights of the chalice? I like it but i wish i could cheat? Or can you cheat in it?

I think the nearest thing might be icewind dale 2, god knows the nwns don't hold up. Anything else similar? i've played pretty much everything well known i think, toee etc. Not pools of radience ruins of myth drannor though, that any good?

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Welp, I've been playing White Knight Chronicles II for a while now. It's nice to see how much the game's been improved since the original. Having damage numbers change color when the attack types are effective against an enemy is especially welcome, as is being able to earn Guild Ranks during the story.

Of course, the story is still terrible, but at least Yulie actually has screen time!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

canada jezus posted:

Is there something similar to knights of the chalice? I like it but i wish i could cheat? Or can you cheat in it?

I think the nearest thing might be icewind dale 2, god knows the nwns don't hold up. Anything else similar? i've played pretty much everything well known i think, toee etc. Not pools of radience ruins of myth drannor though, that any good?

Get yourself some of Spiderweb Software's games. Avadon: The Black Fortress is quite good. All the games have large demos, too.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I picked Resonance of Fate back up after having sold it awhile ago and I could've sworn that you can move around the weapon on the customization blueprint, but for the life of me I can't remember how.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

iastudent posted:

I picked Resonance of Fate back up after having sold it awhile ago and I could've sworn that you can move around the weapon on the customization blueprint, but for the life of me I can't remember how.

It's the right stick I think? It's been a while. I just remember I didn't learn about it until about 40 hours in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Troffen posted:

It's the right stick I think? It's been a while. I just remember I didn't learn about it until about 40 hours in.

Yes, that is it.

Feels good having triple-stacked sights on my guns just two chapters in. :golgo: