Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
With all this talk about card fees being passed onto the consumer, how's that clock ticking for banks (i.e. Chase, BofA) to start charging for online bill pay where they pay to mail a physical check at their expense? Maybe the "float" interest makes it profitable, but I doubt it. I'm kinda shocked that it's really free.

Tick-tock I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Penguissimo posted:

That's actually a semi-legit reason, but I still don't see why they don't let the carriers handle it as part of their normal activation process...

Apple does not want you to unbox the phone, dial *228 and listen to elevator music before you can use your phone.

They want you to open up the phone, connect it to wifi, set up an App Store account, start using the phone, and forget that your carrier even exists if not for that they send you a bill every month.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Just an update, I called back in today to Verizon and said my 4G service was off recently and off for a whole week earlier this month. I joked a bit with the lady on the line and then told her others had been getting a refund for the service and she immediately let me have a whole month refunded to my account.

She told me not to spread it around but you goons know what you must do now.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
So I got the Skinomi screen protector in yesterday (just in time, already have a couple of very light scratches develop) and it is working pretty good, the combination of the week application process and the packing tape lint removal tip seems to have done the trick and I was actually able to apply the thing without bubbles. I'd recommend it to anyone still looking for a screen protector for the galaxy Nexus.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

JP Money posted:

Just an update, I called back in today to Verizon and said my 4G service was off recently and off for a whole week earlier this month. I joked a bit with the lady on the line and then told her others had been getting a refund for the service and she immediately let me have a whole month refunded to my account.

She told me not to spread it around but you goons know what you must do now.

I love the "secret knock" game Verizon is playing.

They should just give everyone a $30 credit, period. The services you guys pay for did not work as advertised. There should not be a little dance that you have to perform while calling in and being told "ok, just for but :ssh: about what I just did for you cause you are special."

Squeaky wheel and all I guess, but it would be a good PR move for them to do an across the board credit and apology.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I did get a $25 credit after all. My story was that the rep I called in to said she'd refund me $3 for two lost days of service, and when I said that there had been 2-3 outages since I signed up, she said she'd send my request over to another department. The next day I got an email saying that a $25 credit had been applied to my account.

Ernie Luckman
May 2, 2007

Same as it ever was.
There are people who don't use autopay? Seriously do you enjoy paying that bill manually every month?

Anyway, played with a Gnex last night, didn't wow me as much as i thought it might. Anyone care to weigh in on the Razr vs Gnex debate i'm waging in my head?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Ernie Luckman posted:

There are people who don't use autopay? Seriously do you enjoy paying that bill manually every month?

Anyway, played with a Gnex last night, didn't wow me as much as i thought it might. Anyone care to weigh in on the Razr vs Gnex debate i'm waging in my head?

Are timely updates important to you?

If the answer is yes, the choice is obvious. If the answer is not so much, just go with what hardware you like more. They are both excellent phones and you can't really go wrong.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

As I suspected they would, Verizon has backpeddled.

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2011/12/pr2011-12-30.html

quote:

Verizon Wireless has decided it will not institute the fee for online or telephone single payments that was announced earlier this week.

The company made the decision in response to customer feedback about the plan, which was designed to improve the efficiency of those transactions. The company continues to encourage customers to take advantage of the numerous simple and convenient payment methods it provides.

“At Verizon, we take great care to listen to our customers. Based on their input, we believe the best path forward is to encourage customers to take advantage of the best and most efficient options, eliminating the need to institute the fee at this time,” said Dan Mead, president and chief executive officer of Verizon Wireless.

History repeats itself. The exact same sequence of events happened with FIOS as well.

I personally love how the FCC was "concerned" and going to "look into the matter." Maybe they can look into my insurance company, my electric company, and my gas company as well since they all charge fees for single time credit card payments.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 30, 2011

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Ernie Luckman posted:

I don't use autopay because I can't always guarantee my account will have a sufficient balance on that particular day thanks to general poorness/charges not actually going through until some random date after the actual purchase. That is probably the case for many who don't use it.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I just got off the phone with Verizon, discussing the $2 fee as a breach of contract.

Basically the rep agreed with me that this is in fact a breach of contract, and I could get out of my contract without paying the ETF. However, I don't want to cancel my service -- I want simply to kill the contract. This puzzled him a little as to why I would want this. I love my iPhone 4S. I've been satisfied with Verizon's service and want to remain a customer, but I dislike contracts and if I see an opportunity to cancel it without penalty I'll take it.

After much waiting he finally came back to me with the relevant section from the agreement:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/customer-agreement.shtml

quote:

Can Verizon Wireless Change This Agreement or My Service?

We may change prices or any other term of your Service or this agreement at any time,but we'll provide notice first, including written notice if you have Postpay Service. If you use your Service after the change takes effect, that means you're accepting the change. If you're a Postpay customer and a change to your Plan or this agreement has a material adverse effect on you, you can cancel the line of Service that has been affected within 60 days of receiving the notice with no Early Termination Fee.

The last line is key. From the POV of the agreement terms, "service" and "contract" are equivalent, although in reality they are not. So I cannot kill a contract without killing service, but I can kill the account, avoid the ETF, and then sign back up under a new contract-free account, keeping iPhone that I bought at the subsidized price.

The downsides are that I would still have to pay the $35 activation fee, and I slid in on the unlimited data plan at the last minute. If I start a new plan, I'd have to pick a metered data plan.

I always paid online by electronic check anyway, and I have no plans to leave as a customer, I just saw a loophole and wanted to try it.

The rep understood my intentions and seemed to agree they are totally reasonable, but said their "system just isn't setup" to allow canceling of contract without canceling service. And legally, according to the terms, I can't force it.

If anyone tries this and has better luck let's hear it.

AmatakiRock
Jan 5, 2009

Ernie Luckman posted:

I'm trying to return my Razr and get a Galaxy Nexus as soon as I can find one in stock at my local Costco. The Razr feels amazing in hand, but the screen bugs me. Text can look really pixelated and after looking at the Nexus screen, I'm wanting to switch as soon as I can (going to stop at Costco in about 30 minutes to try my luck for the 3rd time this week).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Ernie Luckman posted:

"Paying that bill manually" means adding one more entry into a form on my bank's web site while I'm paying five other bills. Not a big deal.

Plus, I have a (perhaps irrational) dislike of automatically paying variable bills.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Verizon just canceled the $2 fee so you can all stop bitching now.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Why do you call it bitching? You know they would have went along with it if nobody "bitched," right?

gregday
May 23, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Link?

edit: nm http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/30/verizon-says-its-scrapping-2-online-payment-fee/

Derp. Apparently I can't read. They must have been discussing while I was on the phone bitching about it. Wow.

gregday fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 30, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

gregday posted:

Link?

Look up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Plus, I have a (perhaps irrational) dislike of automatically paying variable bills.

I don't like auto pay against my checking account due to the possibility for mistakes. However, I don't give a poo poo about autopay against my credit cards. I have 30 days to sort it out and I can have the credit card company suspend the charge if it's in dispute.

discount dogs
Dec 29, 2008
I'm entirely retarded with anything phone plan related and have been looking around to see where I can get the best, cheapest single plan for a smart phone (I'm currently on Sprint with a lame messaging plan and old lovely phone). I'm in the Milwaukee area.

I was looking at Verizon's site at their single plans (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/plans/?page=single) and I'm a little confused at how things are broken up here. The OP of this thread mentions Talk + Text plans, but none of that is mentioned on the site? Could someone shed some light on this?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Mark Larson posted:

Why do you call it bitching? You know they would have went along with it if nobody "bitched," right?

Just a choice of words, calm down broceph.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

discount dogs posted:

The OP of this thread mentions Talk + Text plans, but none of that is mentioned on the site? Could someone shed some light on this?
Verizon has recently changed the way accounts are structured -- the "bundle" plans don't seem to exist any more. What you see on that page is what they currently offer.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I activated my Rezound last night and have yet to receive a 4G signal on it (last night they told me the 4G network was down)

Nice job Verizon :thumbsup:

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

gregday posted:

I just got off the phone with Verizon, discussing the $2 fee as a breach of contract.

Basically the rep agreed with me that this is in fact a breach of contract, and I could get out of my contract without paying the ETF. However, I don't want to cancel my service -- I want simply to kill the contract. This puzzled him a little as to why I would want this. I love my iPhone 4S. I've been satisfied with Verizon's service and want to remain a customer, but I dislike contracts and if I see an opportunity to cancel it without penalty I'll take it.

After much waiting he finally came back to me with the relevant section from the agreement:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/customer-agreement.shtml

The last line is key. From the POV of the agreement terms, "service" and "contract" are equivalent, although in reality they are not. So I cannot kill a contract without killing service, but I can kill the account, avoid the ETF, and then sign back up under a new contract-free account, keeping iPhone that I bought at the subsidized price.

The downsides are that I would still have to pay the $35 activation fee, and I slid in on the unlimited data plan at the last minute. If I start a new plan, I'd have to pick a metered data plan.

I always paid online by electronic check anyway, and I have no plans to leave as a customer, I just saw a loophole and wanted to try it.

The rep understood my intentions and seemed to agree they are totally reasonable, but said their "system just isn't setup" to allow canceling of contract without canceling service. And legally, according to the terms, I can't force it.

If anyone tries this and has better luck let's hear it.

What you want doesn't happen. They don't want people canceling their contract to stay and get a new phone early. If you did cancel you can't come back for at ls 30 days or your account and contract start back up.

You can't force them to keep you as an off contract customer when you cancel. You're choosing to leave and they're no longer required to provide service.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

However you CAN cancel and switch to pre-paid without a single hitch. They may tell you that you can't keep your number, but you can if they do it in the right order (activate your phone as pre-paid, port the number, then cancel your account).

There is also a $25 activation fee but you'd be paying that anyway even if they let you open a no-contract account.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

tofes posted:

I activated my Rezound last night and have yet to receive a 4G signal on it (last night they told me the 4G network was down)

Nice job Verizon :thumbsup:

Keep restarting your phone every few hours because it might not get the 4G signal even if the network is back up.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mark Larson posted:

Keep restarting your phone every few hours because it might not get the 4G signal even if the network is back up.

So that's an LTE-wide problem? I just thought my thunderbolt was... special about switching to 3G or 1x and not wanting to switch back.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

I have restarted it a few times to see if that was the problem but no luck so far. The coverage map on Verizon's website clearly shows I live in a 4G area so I'm pretty sure I should be receiving a signal

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Ernie Luckman posted:

Let me tell you something that just happened today. I'm a busy guy. I get a bill and I look at it, then I pay it. That's how it works for all my utilities and Verizon.

However, I do have autopay set up on my Comcast bill since its a regular non-variable bill - I pay the same amount every month. Now, my Comcast service has been a little wonky recently so I had to have a technician come out a couple of times.

Turns out, they gave me credits for the first time the tech came out, but charged $40 the second time. The bill was paid automatically, now I have to call in and have it refunded. I'm not looking forward to it... let's just say its a lot harder to get money back than to pay the right amount in the first place.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Sometimes when I restart the phone a 4G connection icon pops up, but then it goes away and switches to 3G. Going to take it to the Verizon store tomorrow, maybe there's something wrong with the SIM

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
How does Verizon's corporate discount verification process work exactly? The rep I talked to said that Verizon actually contacts the company I claim to work for, and that's why the discount takes a while to show up on my bill. This is different from and in addition to me showing them my corporate ID??

Is this all true? I'm a contractor in some huge corporation and will be very sad if the verification process somehow fails out because they asked the wrong person. FWIW, myVerizon shows me the discount online but my first bill didn't.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
I have been under the corporate discount for probably 6 years now(4 years after working that that job) and all I had to do was walk in and show them a badge / paystub for my job. They did it all on the computer right there.

Tigertron
Jan 19, 2007

Tiger, tiger, burning bright

Mighty Horse posted:

Its on Apple's end this time. They are sending the wrong Sim Policy to a bunch of Verizon bound 4S's, they are being loaded with the "Unlocked GSM" SIM policy, instead of the Verizon one.

If Apple has fixed the issue with your specific phones serial number, a complete wipe and restore from iTunes is supposed to fix the problem, but if they haven't fixed the Sim Policy the Apple servers send your phone upon activation, it will still think its an Unlocked GSM phone.

This fiasco and learning how a SIM unlock happens has confimed my suspicions that all the phones are identical until Apple tells the phone what it is supposed to be when it hits the activation server.

So a simple flip from an AT&T 4s to a Verizon 4s should be a change on Apple's servers just like it is when you unlock for international SIM cards, but I doubt Apple and the carriers will let you do that.

Just wanted to thank you, resetting it seemed to have worked.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Mark Larson posted:

How does Verizon's corporate discount verification process work exactly? The rep I talked to said that Verizon actually contacts the company I claim to work for, and that's why the discount takes a while to show up on my bill. This is different from and in addition to me showing them my corporate ID??

Is this all true? I'm a contractor in some huge corporation and will be very sad if the verification process somehow fails out because they asked the wrong person. FWIW, myVerizon shows me the discount online but my first bill didn't.

The company doesn't actually get contacted.

The ONLY two acceptable forms of ID for adding a corporate discount are a photo ID badge with your first and last name and the name of the company OR a paycheck stub dated within the last 60 days.

We take a snapshot of the information to add the discount to your account and it'll show up immediately on our end or on MyVerizon. However, the discount does not kick in until the employer information has been audited by one of our departments. Any proof of employment presented that doesn't include the information I stated above gets the discount removed.

As long as you pass the audit, the discount kicks in.

You can also add your discount via email by going to verizonwireless.com/getdiscount -- via this method, you register and receive a validation email in your work email inbox. Click the link in your work email inbox and follow the steps to complete the process. This method is typically easier and though I'm not 100% sure, I'm assuming the auditing process is automated as it doesn't actually require a human to verify any of the information.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I entered my work email via the page on verizon, and they sent an email to my work address for a link for me to click on.

Then i had to add my phone(s) to the account

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

kstatix posted:

You can also add your discount via email by going to verizonwireless.com/getdiscount -- via this method, you register and receive a validation email in your work email inbox. Click the link in your work email inbox and follow the steps to complete the process. This method is typically easier and though I'm not 100% sure, I'm assuming the auditing process is automated as it doesn't actually require a human to verify any of the information.

I'm a contractor for the government with a .gov work email address. I did that and it worked no problem. Although I'm pretty sure the government employee discount isn't the best possible one out there. 15 or 20 percent on main plan, 25 percent on accessories, nothing on phones.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

It turns out 4G coverage just sucks around here and my phone was fine at the store. I think it has been having the 3G problems because of the buggy 3G/4G radio switching

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Oh hey apparently they canned the $2 fee idea yesterday.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/274812/20111230/verizon-drops-2-fee-plan-customer-backlash.htm

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Kilonum posted:

Oh hey apparently they canned the $2 fee idea yesterday.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/274812/20111230/verizon-drops-2-fee-plan-customer-backlash.htm

Top of the page chief.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

kstatix posted:

The company doesn't actually get contacted.

The ONLY two acceptable forms of ID for adding a corporate discount are a photo ID badge with your first and last name and the name of the company OR a paycheck stub dated within the last 60 days.

We take a snapshot of the information to add the discount to your account and it'll show up immediately on our end or on MyVerizon. However, the discount does not kick in until the employer information has been audited by one of our departments. Any proof of employment presented that doesn't include the information I stated above gets the discount removed.

As long as you pass the audit, the discount kicks in.

Thanks guys, they did take a scan of my work id.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

tronik posted:

Status update on the GNex. Managed to get the 4G working but I'm discovering that the improved signal strength that was supposed to come with LTE leaves much to be desired. It almost seems like both 3G AND 4G signal quality is worse than the 3G signal I was able to get with my HTC Inc2. 4G doesn't work in any sort of structure I seem to enter (my house and my workplace in particular), although when I go outside I'm able to get maybe 1-3 bars unless I'm standing directly beneath a cell tower.

I'm reading on XDA that this phone in particular may have either a lovely radio or inadequate antenna. I'm hoping its the former so this issue will actually be fixable, otherwise I'll probably need to ditch this and go back to my Inc2. Signal strength and call quality is crucial to me and it seems like Big Red just can't get it right with these smartphones! Back when I had my LG flip phone I NEVER had signal issues.

In reality, what changed was how signal quality is measured in ICS, not that the antenna is inadequate. It's similar to how Apple changed the measurement of bars in a previous version of iOS. An upcoming update will change it back to the Verizon standard to make everyone feel better.

• Locked thread