Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

m2pt5 posted:

There are also a few maps (I don't think any official ones any more) where it's possible to build a teleporter exit in a place that can't be escaped without suiciding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEu04rcJbNk

(I doubt this has been fixed in the past half year)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

Alikchi posted:

I've been doing some light TF2 griefing and upsetting servers a bit. Valve added the high-five taunt a few months ago - basically, you hold down the action button to "prep" a high five, holding your hand up for it, and a teammate can hit his action/taunt button to start the animation.

I've been walking into big fights, holding down the taunt button, and refusing to let go until someone high fives me back or I die. Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeSpmYeLTVQ

WTF I stop plying for like 2 months and this poo poo comes out? TF2 still moves so fast update wise.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Cervixalot posted:

(May have been posted before, but I don't recall seeing it)

Engineers in TF2 can trap teammates in a teleporter loop on any level with stairs.

Place the exit teleporter first towards the bottom of the stairs, then crouch and place the entrance as close to the exit as possible- preferably overlapping it. Upgrade it to level 3 to make your job easier, and you're all set.

Anyone who steps on the teleporter will be stuck and continuously teleport until they kill themselves or are killed by an enemy. My buddy and I were doing this last night and got 4 members of our team stuck in one. I bet some inventive and clever goons can trap a whole team or find another funny use for this trick.

Lots of WTFs and angry shouts from our team, even convinced them to boot another uninvolved engineer while they were witch hunting.

Addendum: if you have a buddy, put his exit overlap your exit so that your entrance can be anywhere. Put it in front of spawn, BAM! Everyone looking for a quick trip to the frontline get's stuck in some backass part of the map. Put two lvl3 dispensers next to the tele so they can't blow themselves up either.

Also, push scoped snipers into them for maximum lolz.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Also I've seen people use sentries like this on youtube:

You need 2-4 engineers on opposing teams. Other engineers build a teleport pair and the other ones build two level 3 sentries near the exits, but they are a little bit elevated and positioned so that they won't shoot the teleports. This results in all teleported teammates getting instantly swiss cheese'd. With two teleports it's harder to remember which one was deadly. (They both are.)

(If this was already posted, I apologize.)

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Keisari posted:

You need 2-4 engineers on opposing teams. Other engineers build a teleport pair and the other ones build two level 3 sentries near the exits, but they are a little bit elevated and positioned so that they won't shoot the teleports. This results in all teleported teammates getting instantly swiss cheese'd. With two teleports it's harder to remember which one was deadly. (They both are.)

This is brilliant but difficult to coordinate so as you not get banned if an admin catches this

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Keisari posted:

Fun starts at around the 40 second mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OylhMDfnbg

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cervixalot posted:

(May have been posted before, but I don't recall seeing it)

Engineers in TF2 can trap teammates in a teleporter loop on any level with stairs.

Place the exit teleporter first towards the bottom of the stairs, then crouch and place the entrance as close to the exit as possible- preferably overlapping it. Upgrade it to level 3 to make your job easier, and you're all set.

Anyone who steps on the teleporter will be stuck and continuously teleport until they kill themselves or are killed by an enemy. My buddy and I were doing this last night and got 4 members of our team stuck in one. I bet some inventive and clever goons can trap a whole team or find another funny use for this trick.

Lots of WTFs and angry shouts from our team, even convinced them to boot another uninvolved engineer while they were witch hunting.

Awesome, checking this out

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Fun starts at around the 40 second mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OylhMDfnbg

I love the other Team Roomba video where they manage to set up sentries under the ground that can still fire at targets above ground and confuse the living poo poo out of their opponents.

Starts about 13 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPoKaoJu0m4

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Gorilla Salad posted:

I love the other Team Roomba video where they manage to set up sentries under the ground that can still fire at targets above ground and confuse the living poo poo out of their opponents.

Starts about 13 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPoKaoJu0m4

Yeah, that was one of the first fixed bugs in Gravel Pit - they fixed it by putting a rock in the "soft" spot so you couldn't drop through the floor anymore.

Edit: I still love that video. "I don't think that demoman needs two medics." "Well I think he does."

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 31, 2011

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Isn't that Gravelpit glitch still unpatched in the Xbox version along with a million other exploits?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They abandoned the xbox version of the game because it was impossible to maintain it. Microsoft makes it very hard to patch games for some stupid reason. And there isn't enough memory in the Xbox to add in all the things they've been adding over the years.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

m2pt5 posted:

There are also a few maps (I don't think any official ones any more) where it's possible to build a teleporter exit in a place that can't be escaped without suiciding.

Where exactly would this be? The only real teleporter griefing I've done is when I get mad at my team on Badwater and send them back to the original spawn with my teleporter after we take the third point.
Now that I am in South Korea I feel like a lot of these older tricks will be fresher.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

They abandoned the xbox version of the game because it was impossible to maintain it. Microsoft makes it very hard to patch games for some stupid reason. And there isn't enough memory in the Xbox to add in all the things they've been adding over the years.

It's an unintended side effect of their method to discourage buggy games. Microsoft puts limits on patch sizes and only allows games to have a couple patches before they need to pay for bandwidth.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Mokinokaro posted:

It's an unintended side effect of their method to discourage buggy games. Microsoft puts limits on patch sizes and only allows games to have a couple patches before they need to pay for bandwidth.

Which (ironically) means that companies can't afford to fix any bugs after one or two patches. Monday Night Combat had this problem too until they made a PC version.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

PalmTreeFun posted:

Which (ironically) means that companies can't afford to fix any bugs after one or two patches. Monday Night Combat had this problem too until they made a PC version.

I personally see it as Microsoft going "Fix your poo poo before shipping it to us :colbert: Playtesting is not just another buzzword", but I've always been a little bit of a Microsoft apologist, so take that as you will.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Microsoft should probably just give up on that, since companies still ship out broken products. The only difference is they will stay broken because they can't patch anything.

Deputy Dangerous
Mar 20, 2011

90% gravity
There's a new exploit on Garry's Mod, to those that play it. It involves replacing the turret tool's tracer to dof_node. When you press the turret button on the numpad it spews out Lua errors in console nonstop, and blurs the screen along with copious amounts of framerate death (resulting in one having to stare at the floor at all times to not be killed by blur). I'll admit, I've used it and it's really bad, hopefully it'll be patched quickly. The 12 year old server admins don't know what the gently caress to do, so there's witch hunts all over. Then one player rejoins, and lo and behold, it's fixed... until you press your turret button again. So they restart the server on a new map, and all is well for two seconds, and then it starts again. Again, it's a scummy way to grief, but the reactions you get are too good to pass up.

Deputy Dangerous fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 1, 2012

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Deputy Dangerous posted:

There's a new exploit on Garry's Mod, to those that play it. It involves replacing the turret tool's tracer to a specific phrase I shall not give out in the console. When you press the turret button on the numpad it spews out Lua errors in console nonstop, and blurs the screen along with copious amounts of framerate death (resulting in one having to stare at the floor at all times to not be killed by blur). I'll admit, I've used it and it's really bad, hopefully it'll be patched quickly. The 12 year old server admins don't know what the gently caress to do, so there's witch hunts all over. Then one player rejoins, and lo and behold, it's fixed... until you press your turret button again. So they restart the server on a new map, and all is well for two seconds, and then it starts again. Again, it's a scummy way to grief, but the reactions you get are too good to pass up.

we need a video.

Deputy Dangerous
Mar 20, 2011

90% gravity

Mister_Eel posted:

we need a video.

EDIT: Here's a tutorial I made. I figure if more people know, it'll be patched quicker, because this really is a game-ruining exploit.

Deputy Dangerous fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 1, 2012

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I personally see it as Microsoft going "Fix your poo poo before shipping it to us :colbert: Playtesting is not just another buzzword", but I've always been a little bit of a Microsoft apologist, so take that as you will.

The problem with this and TF2 is that they have been unable to deliver their content patches at all.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Dr. Stab posted:

The problem with this and TF2 is that they have been unable to deliver their content patches at all.

I didn't say it was a good thing, what they were doing, I was just saying what my impression of their stance on it was. v:shobon:v It's a nice idea but yeah, it's kind of backfiring on them.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Which is a terrible idea, because even if you're a huge company with a testing budget larger than the GDP of some small nations, a moderately popular game will still get more testing in the first hour after release than in a year of dedicated QA. There's always something that slips past QA and makes it into the release version.

On top of that, preventing patches doesn't really incentivize testing anyways - if the company gives no shits about quality they won't care that they can't patch it, and if they do, they're going to test it as much as they can afford anyways.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

Which is a terrible idea, because even if you're a huge company with a testing budget larger than the GDP of some small nations, a moderately popular game will still get more testing in the first hour after release than in a year of dedicated QA. There's always something that slips past QA and makes it into the release version.

On top of that, preventing patches doesn't really incentivize testing anyways - if the company gives no shits about quality they won't care that they can't patch it, and if they do, they're going to test it as much as they can afford anyways.

They are not preventing patches. They are monetizing it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Hungryjack posted:

They are not preventing patches. They are monetizing it.

Except that in practice most companies just go "welp, not patching the 360 version then" and move on.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Yeah but to be fair TF2 Classique is better than the PC version.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

Except that in practice most companies just go "welp, not patching the 360 version then" and move on.

And that is just fine with Microsoft as well.

...and with the griefers :)

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
When the first pokemon games came out, they were crazy popular and a ton of people would have pokemon battles at my school. There were two types of matches. The first one was your standard set where everyone fought for fun.

The second was "playing for keeps" where the winner could choose any pokemon the loser used and keep it. Naturally these were pretty rare and people tended to stick to using a B team that they didn't mind losing. So an all out hardcore match with the best pokemon on the line was a pretty big deal.

Now there were these two kids that hated each other. Brad was the local "rich kid" and kind of an rear end in a top hat, while Kyle was your more traditional nerd that was nice enough but kind of annoying since he took the games a little too seriously.

To make a long story short they have this big hyped up match with their best pokemon. Everyone watched Brad completely crush Kyle. It turned out that Brad had 2 gameboys, both versions of the game and was using a team of multiple Mewtwo's (the most powerful pokemon in the game and impossible to get more than one except by trading).

Kyle is pissed but goes through with the trade and gives away his high level charazard. In pokemon you can't just give a free trade. Both players have to give a pokemon. In exchange for Kyle's favorite pokemon, Brad gave him a low level rattata. The real kicker though was that he took the time to give it the nickname "KyleSux."

Kyle takes this really badly and freaks out. He starts screaming and swearing at Brad and rips the cord out of the gameboy, but the trade has already been made and he ends up storming out while we all laugh at his outburst. Kyle just stops playing pokemon with people after that. We figured that was the end of it until he pops up like a month later and challenges Brad to a rematch.

Everyone gathers around in anticipation of another giant freak out, but Kyle isn't going down easy this time. Turns out he basically spent a month building a team that was engineered to defeat Brad. Not just beat him but annoy him. We all tended to just choose the hardest hitting moves we could get, but Kyle had a team of insect types that were resistant to psychic damage and specialized in making their opponents, slow down, miss more, fall asleep etc.

It was hilarious to watch. Brad would send out a psychic death machine and Kyle would send out a caterpillar. Then we'd all laugh as he missed 50% of the time while getting his health chipped away. Brad wasn't losing by much but as the battle dragged on he was clearly getting more and more annoyed at every missed attack and lost turn. Finally Brad was down to his last pokemon, a badly wounded Mewtwo that was out of it's most powerful attacks. Brad managed to score a hit and force Kyle to use his last pokemon, a level 99 Raticate named "KyleSux."

KyleSux finished the fight in one hit and I've never seen anyone look more smug than Kyle when he did it.

Dr_Amazing fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 2, 2012

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Nice story. Always great to see the underdog win.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
That is a great and truly hilarious story. And I even hate Pokemon. Good work!

Deputy Dangerous
Mar 20, 2011

90% gravity
Forza 4's Tag mode is basically virus with cars. I'm on the Top Gear track, playing just fine. There's this turn, however, where there's insta-stop tires around it. You can, though, drive on the grass and behind the tires as a sort of shelter from incoming infected cars. There's 4 or 5 pubbies just content to sit out the round behind their tire barricade, so I see some potential. I push them around in my A-class Hummer H1 (with goonbus decals) but they don't seem to mind. I notice a bluish Nissan with ugly gold rims and I yell "WE MUST SEND ONE TO SACRIFICE" on the mic, and shove him out. I then block him from getting in with the side of the Hummer. However, infected did show up and I got bonked, making me it too. I'm rounding these tough turns the backwards way and there's a guy in a red BMW drifting by. I accidentally clip him, and he shouts, "What the gently caress, Hummer? I'm on the same fuckin' team as you!" Something made me chase him- and only him- down for the rest of the round, slamming into his side when he drifted down straights. He got so mad that I think he realized he was shouting insults at a car, and then tried to play it off as just competitiveness. The next round starts, and a couple of us reverse into the wrong way, as many do on Tag. BMW's also one of them. I clip him and he's spun around, facing the opposite way. "Oh, good job Hummer," says he, and then blows by me (Hummers really don't get that fast obviously). I eventually get infected and he's one of two surviving cars. I'm chasing him as he eggs me on.

The last thing he says is "come on Hummer, I'm already rounding this turn" and then gets slammed by another infected car. He flies up, lands, and I slam into him myself, then block him some more as he tries to drift around again.

That story being told, though, ramming seems to be about the extent of griefing in Forza. I think the guy just got pissed because there's a bigass yellow Hummer with GOON BUS on the back and SOMETHING AWFUL on the sides that would only go after him.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

LLCoolJD posted:

I don't own Forza 4, but I imagine there were a few angry pubbies here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2cZm9hhfus

Ah, good times, good times. I was driving the goonbus at around 16 seconds that flips over.

The best way to grief in Forza 4 is to go into a drift lobby, and pick a fast car that looks like you would drift it. Then, you just fly off at the starting line and race like you are supposed to, aka, taking a proper line and not sliding the rear end end out. The goal is to complete the race with as little points as possible, as fast as possible. If you do it right, you will finish well ahead of anyone else.

Now, the thing is, in Forza 4's pubby hopper lobbies, once someone crosses the finish line, a 30 second timer starts. If you don't finish within 30 seconds, you get a DNF. So the goal is to finish the race fast enough that noone but you can finish. This tends to get tons of people bitching at you and threatening you, which you can just reply with, "Well, I guess we know what is faster now don't we."(Drift people think that drifting is the fastest way through a corner... or at least the idiots.)

The best thing is that you can literally kill server after server thanks to a voting exploit. There can only be one vote going at a time. When you finish a race, you get put back in the lobby menu. Nothing happens until everyone gets back in the menu so no votes can be started. Once everyone is back in, a button appears to vote to skip the next track. Since this is quicker than the method to initiate a kick vote, you can normally start a track vote that will last the entire downtime between races. Soon enough, the room will be filled with pubbie tears, and will eventually die a slow, and tear-filled death.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Dr_Amazing posted:

The ultimate pokemon story

This is great because I loving hate rich people, and as soon as I saw the rattata get mentioned I knew what was going to happen.

Deputy Dangerous posted:

That story being told, though, ramming seems to be about the extent of griefing in Forza. I think the guy just got pissed because there's a bigass yellow Hummer with GOON BUS on the back and SOMETHING AWFUL on the sides that would only go after him.

I'm not so sure. I played Burnout Paradise online, and people would get super mad if you hit them (even though that's part of the game). I had all the best cars, so I used to take the toughest cop car and just fly around the city at full speed with my siren on, smashing into anyone I saw. I'd tbone someone randomly once, and they'd suddenly just follow me and chase me forever until they got to hit me back. They'd get so mad that I could stop behind a wall and they might accidentally ram the wall trying to kill me, or I could park behind a small ramp and they'd go flying off a cliff in their blind fury.

Also there was a lovely van in that game that was slow and terrible, but it had infinite momentum and mass and could pretty much survive anything. I could get t-boned by someone, and they might die if they weren't going fast enough or were in a lovely enough car. I'd just honk my annoying horn, and go back to slowly pushing people around or maybe clipping someone as they tried to race past me. Even better, I'd just park on an achievement-specific ramp, and people would kill themselves against my van. It was the best :allears:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The racing game stories remind me of a form of griefing in Initial D Arcade Stage called "fishing" where you purposefully pick the course your car is best at (like picking Akina when you have the Eight-six). It's worse if the course is Happogahara, which is one of the most difficult courses in the game, and if the player is new it's not going to end well.

Also, the game has a "boost" feature in 2 player battle mode that basically applies rubber band AI to the losing player's car, making it go faster. Most players hate this and turn it off, which is done by having both players hold down the brake pedal before the race starts (it'll say BOOST OFF!! on the screen when both your cars are lined up). You can fake hitting the brake pedal or just press it lightly instead of holding it, which may or may not result in your opponent getting angry. I've heard stories of people not knowing how to turn boost off and I could see someone trying this on purpose.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jan 3, 2012

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Dr_Amazing posted:

KyleSux

I liked that story. In all honesty, the best way to troll people is to get good at a game. You ever see the rage mail people get over XBL/PSN from playing fighting games well?

SeriousCrimesUnit
Jul 12, 2010

If I ever see you in this city again, God help you.
People seem to really flip their poo poo when it comes to fighting games. No genre of game have I ever been called a oval office on a weekly basis just for playing it in the most normal way. Street Fighter 4 is the best for this. Either it attracts the gods among manchildren or there are really a bunch of kids playing that game that don't know how to take an rear end-kicking from Cammy.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Slappy Moose posted:

Burnout Paradise shenanigans

I swear the Burnout community that still exists is filled with complete morons. I would just tool around online on the PC version, and it'd seem like there was about 20-30 regular players and no one else. Most of them had webcam enabled, and I don't think I ever made a takedown without a blurry middle finger to go along with it. (Burnout Paradise has a feature where if you have it setup for webcam, it'd take a picture of you when someone else takes you down, best idea ever).

That's when I got the idea to download a fake web-cam program, and have it setup to just display an image or a video on repeat. So now, instead of them seeing nothing when they get takedowns on me (like I would use a webcam), they see either goatse, lemonparty, tubgirl or one of many other assorted images some horrible goon compiled into a convenient zip file about 2-3 years ago.

And you can't disable it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm pretty sure EA shutting down the Burnout Paradise store on PC so you can't buy any of their DLC is the ultimate troll/grief on their part, especially for people like me who would actually WANT to throw money at them for more awesome cars.

Also, I love disrupting people in mid-goal during online free-play. Nothing's more hilarious than watching someone launch into the air to fly through a hoop only to be T-boned by me coming from a ramp on the side. It's like I'm piledriving cars into the ground or something.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

PalmTreeFun posted:

I liked that story. In all honesty, the best way to troll people is to get good at a game. You ever see the rage mail people get over XBL/PSN from playing fighting games well?

One of my friends is semi-pro, gets invited by Capcom to launch events level, but not travels to compete level. I'm half-decent at fighting games at best, but that's good enough to beat most pubbies. Our favorite grief at parties is to tag team people who don't know us with me leading. They think they're going to get an even match, I'll take a fall once they start getting cocky, then BAM, instant tears as they get swept away. Funnily enough, the most rage tends to come from Smash Bros players.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

SeriousCrimesUnit posted:

People seem to really flip their poo poo when it comes to fighting games. No genre of game have I ever been called a oval office on a weekly basis just for playing it in the most normal way. Street Fighter 4 is the best for this. Either it attracts the gods among manchildren or there are really a bunch of kids playing that game that don't know how to take an rear end-kicking from Cammy.

I "griefed" a League of Legends game yesterday by playing not too well instead of okay like I usually do. My team was yelling at me for being a terrible feeder just because I was having an off day :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Death Bot posted:

I "griefed" a League of Legends game yesterday by playing not too well instead of okay like I usually do. My team was yelling at me for being a terrible feeder just because I was having an off day :ohdear:

My friend wanted me to play LoL so I did. He then complained because I was just playing the game and feeding the other team or whatever. I don't really care about whatever the game is supposed to be about, I just wanted to run up and attack things. The game can't be that great if I can piss people off just by playing it.

• Locked thread