Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

I said come in! posted:

Yep, there are people who seriously do this. They'll pay big bucks so they can pretend they are their favorite race car driver.
A friend of mine is actually doing a fair business making and assembling full cockpits for guys to play (primarily) iRacing on. The multi monitor setup I played on the other day he sells for several thousand dollars. It was nice, but I don't know that I want to spend that kind of coin on that.

Of course, he's primarily selling to people who make their living racing, and for them, the simulator is a training device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Forza could be a TAX WRITEOFF?!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

speedtek posted:

I would do all sorts of things I wouldn't be proud of for a 320si. I was N1CK S0APD1SH btw and I had a blast. Hopefully I can do more of that in the future.

I hope so too, man. I wish I wouldn't have gotten t-boned so early on. I think we could have had some fun with those Evos.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Which is the most active goon car club? I just got Forza 4 a few weeks ago and have seen a few names tossed around here, but which can I join?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

VERTiG0 posted:

Which is the most active goon car club? I just got Forza 4 a few weeks ago and have seen a few names tossed around here, but which can I join?
For a 'catch all' club, AUGR for the NA Goons. We've got 44 active folks, and one guy on deployment that I'm aware of.
You definitely want to put anyone with a GTCC tag on your friends list, too. They're great guys, and also very active, but aren't the 'catch all' goon club. They've all been racing together for years, and are pretty free with inviting goons to fill their open racing slots, generally.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 29, 2011

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Jabs posted:

For a 'catch all' club, AUGR for the NA Goons. We've got 44 active folks, and one guy on deployment that I'm aware of.
You definitely want to put anyone with a GTCC tag on your friends list, too. They're great guys, and also very active, but aren't the 'catch all' goon club. They've all been racing together for years, and are pretty free with inviting goons to fill their open racing slots, generally.

Request sent. Gamertag is vertigo360.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I guess I should bounce over to AUGR finally, huh? Blegh... Be on the lookout for T1g4h I guess. I miss getting race invites from HumpDumper :(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I still really want to play this with goons, but I have not been able to fix my NAT connection issues, and have not been able to find a good guide that explains how to fix it with a Linksys wireless router.

Deputy Dangerous
Mar 20, 2011

90% gravity
Just bought the game today, and I wanna get better in races (eventually in MP) than just being against AI racers. I guess for starters, I always gun the turns too fast, so what's a good way to get used to turns? (For the record, I'm only in the league past Clubman in the story mode, and have a couple D-class cars).

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Deputy Dangerous posted:

Just bought the game today, and I wanna get better in races (eventually in MP) than just being against AI racers. I guess for starters, I always gun the turns too fast, so what's a good way to get used to turns? (For the record, I'm only in the league past Clubman in the story mode, and have a couple D-class cars).

Drive slowly (in practice or w/e) and as you learn the track you speed up until you know it enough not to miss the corners.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
For better or worse, I enjoyed my time racing online in the E or F class circuit races. The cars are slow enough that making a mistake isn't going to put you in a position where you watch everyone's dust fading into the distance.

Don't worry about being first - there are people with cars with a 'leaderboard tune' who are a better driver than you to do that. You just want to work on A) Having fun despite the pubbie idiocy, and B) NOT LAST, MOTHERFUCKERS! =)

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to feel so dumb driving a manual transmission impala. Since I love to play "full switch", to use a flightsim term. I'd love the option to have a car always be manual or automatic when you buy it, so I don't have to keep flipping between them.

Don't laugh. I know they are no good for track racing. But the fastest drag racing cars are usually automatics. (also holding out for staging with working lights in F5)

Pinky the Cube
Jul 21, 2010
I chose one rival event and sunk my teeth into it. My times steadily got better and then plateaued, improving only as I really learned to drive better. I'm at a point now where even a little traction loss on a corner will crush my shot at a time improvement. Likewise if I take the turn too slowly, for obvious reasons. This thin line is at the core of my addiction to this game and has improved my driving overall (at least I think so).

All that said, I'm still waaaay too chickenshit to take it online. Ghosts can be frustrating, but they can't obliterate my self-esteem. :ghost:

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

T1g4h posted:

I guess I should bounce over to AUGR finally, huh? Blegh... Be on the lookout for T1g4h I guess. I miss getting race invites from HumpDumper :(

He is now ButtMunchRadMan, send him a friend request

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
It would be pretty cool if manual/auto boxes were an upgrade option rather than a difficulty setting. Then you could choose a 2 speed auto for drag racing, a 6 speed manual for circuit racing, or whatever else you want.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

I said come in! posted:

I still really want to play this with goons, but I have not been able to fix my NAT connection issues, and have not been able to find a good guide that explains how to fix it with a Linksys wireless router.

It amazes me that even with UPnP, and the 360's 6-year existence, some routers still can't do poo poo right.

Easy fix: give your 360 a static IP, then go to the router and add that IP address to the DMZ.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I hope so too, man. I wish I wouldn't have gotten t-boned so early on. I think we could have had some fun with those Evos.

Sorry man. I saw you spin and was pretty sure I could squeeze by on the right :(.

Deputy Dangerous
Mar 20, 2011

90% gravity
So last night I joined my first multiplayer race. I attempted to choose a car, but then the race started, giving me some A-class thing (I think). So the race starts, instantly rearended by the need4speed Formula 1 assclown behind me. I did the whole lane-denying (is that what it's called? When you own the whole road so a guy can't pass you?) thing to some guy, he didn't have it, and bonked my fender, veering off into a wall. So the race goes on for a while, I notice I'm in 9/10 and the guy trailing me is 1000 feet away, and the guy ahead of him a full mile gone. What the hell. I eventually just quit to go try the Muscle Drag race. What did I see but two X-class chucklefucks and me in my C-class. So yeah, might not be getting into MP unless I get in one of these goon groups.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Deputy Dangerous posted:

So last night I joined my first multiplayer race. I attempted to choose a car, but then the race started, giving me some A-class thing (I think). So the race starts, instantly rearended by the need4speed Formula 1 assclown behind me. I did the whole lane-denying (is that what it's called? When you own the whole road so a guy can't pass you?) thing to some guy, he didn't have it, and bonked my fender, veering off into a wall. So the race goes on for a while, I notice I'm in 9/10 and the guy trailing me is 1000 feet away, and the guy ahead of him a full mile gone. What the hell. I eventually just quit to go try the Muscle Drag race. What did I see but two X-class chucklefucks and me in my C-class. So yeah, might not be getting into MP unless I get in one of these goon groups.

Or just try rejoining with a competitive car.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

MalleusDei posted:

Sorry man. I saw you spin and was pretty sure I could squeeze by on the right :(.

YOU!

Eh, poo poo happens. Still had fun :)

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Deputy Dangerous posted:

I did the whole lane-denying (is that what it's called? When you own the whole road so a guy can't pass you?) thing to some guy, he didn't have it, and bonked my fender, veering off into a wall.

I'm pretty sure anyone in the goon groups will call you out if you do that.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Deputy Dangerous posted:

So yeah, might not be getting into MP unless I get in one of these goon groups.
A) Never, EVER use Quick Race. gently caress that.
B) Pick the Circuit Racing group, then the class you want to race in.
C) Slower groups (E and F) have more tighter, more competitive racing than faster groups, because there's always some Dumb Pubbie swimming over his head who will crash into you because it's funny, or because he's just a terrible driver. Slow groups make these things less important in your overall outcome.

Come join us on Wednesdays for the GoonSpec races. We try to modify cars to match up with the published rules of real world racing series, and then go racing. The next few weeks will be based on NASA's American Iron.
There are very, very few limits on what you can do to the car, but most cars should remain generally competitive with each other, since there are power/weight and torque/weight limits that you need to stay within.

Also, one of my SCCA buddies drafted a set of BTCC rules that look like fun.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
All this hardware and this guy uses all assists as far as I know and I'm sure the electric company sends him a card every Christmas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gebKNVToFs

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
While running, those 5 white Xboxes must sound like the Concorde reversing thrust to stop after landing.

And it's probably 900 degrees in that corner of the room too.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
Jabs if you're interested I've managed to build a SpecE30 based on the NASA rules, complete with 325i gear ratios & the actual spec spring rates. I can send you the tune if you want to check it out.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...
What did he mean when he said I keep one running to make money?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Probably sets up a 25 lap race of an oval course, throws a superfast S class in there vs slower AI, puts a brick on the gas pedal and ties the steering slightly left.

Come back in 45 minutes to a very ground down right front panel but much richer for it. Aside from the $2 in electricity he just used.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

couldn't even spring for a Fanatec, a shameful man cave

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Zero Karizma posted:

What did he mean when he said I keep one running to make money?

Bitcoins, forsure

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
I'm still distressed that after all that, we got 10 seconds of actual action on the multimonitor setup and absolutely no views of whatever it is that the top two monitors display.

But at least I got to see lots of still shots of crap and that "Man Cave" sign is pretty sweet.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
The two top monitors are for displaying his rear-view mirror and the replay camera view. Thats right. He has one xbox to only show what his car looks like from the replay camera while driving.

Oh the best is on his actual race vids, when he goes into a turn, he slams his brake pedal down hard every time. I'm surprised his wheel has lasted.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know why he even needs those other monitors. Looks like he just watches the race line the whole time and when it turns red, he slams on the brakes.

Why is it always horrible people who have too much money?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know why he even needs those other monitors. Looks like he just watches the race line the whole time and when it turns red, he slams on the brakes.

Why is it always horrible people who have too much money?

Because he's probably horrible at managing money too, and is living with half a dozen credit cards carrying a balance.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I picked this up again as I've been spending way too much time in Skyrim and BF3 and one thing struck me as pretty great.

It's so easy to pickup where you left off at the higher levels having not played it for a while conpared to GT5.

With a controller the higher class cars are just impossible to controlled with no assists and just no full with any on (in gt5)

Forza's driving model is so much more forgiving, and ultimately much more fun.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

GOD IS BED posted:

couldn't even spring for a Fanatec, a shameful man cave

6 Terabytes of memory :suicide:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Jabs posted:

A) Never, EVER use Quick Race. gently caress that.
B) Pick the Circuit Racing group, then the class you want to race in.
C) Slower groups (E and F) have more tighter, more competitive racing than faster groups, because there's always some Dumb Pubbie swimming over his head who will crash into you because it's funny, or because he's just a terrible driver. Slow groups make these things less important in your overall outcome.

Come join us on Wednesdays for the GoonSpec races. We try to modify cars to match up with the published rules of real world racing series, and then go racing. The next few weeks will be based on NASA's American Iron.
There are very, very few limits on what you can do to the car, but most cars should remain generally competitive with each other, since there are power/weight and torque/weight limits that you need to stay within.

Also, one of my SCCA buddies drafted a set of BTCC rules that look like fun.

So for next week, are we doing strictly American Iron, or is American Iron X allowed?

Also, I've got an American Iron sticker in my storefront if anyone is looking for one :)

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Boaz, what's your gamertag again?

e: nevermind a search for "american iron" found it, duh.

GOD IS BED fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 31, 2011

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Sorry I haven't been on lately. Due to lots of work and wonky wifi at Entropy Racing(My stepdads race shop) I haven't gotten to race online at all, and probably won't be able to until mid January.

By the way, has anything been announced for the January car pack contents yet?

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate
There was a rumor that it would include some awesome things including the Mazda 787B and a 1997 Volvo 850R, but that was sadly proved false. As it stands, the cars are as follow:

Kaster Troy posted:

Just checked out Jalopnik.com and they just posted it http://jalopnik.com/5871277/forza-4-january-jalopnik-dlc-pack-this-is-it

1970 Alfa Romeo Montreal
2011 Audi RS5
1996 Chevrolet Impala SS
1986 Dodge Shelby Omni GLHS
2000 Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo
1973 Ford Pinto
2011 Honda #33 Level 5 Motorsports Lola
2012 Honda Civic Si Coupe
2011 Lamborghini #08 West Yokohama Gallardo LP560-4
2012 Pagani Huayra!!

I said come in! posted:

And the new trailer is out, and that rumored car list ended up being horseshit. :( Not a single car on it, made it into the Jan. DLC.

Here is the trailer; http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=05sgjoZDyrA

This months is actually pretty underwhelming in my opinion. The rumored DLC pack didn't help, expectations were high on this one due to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:
Why a civic? It's not even a funny option, just boring as heck.

• Locked thread