Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Droid 4 rumor roundup:

Dummy units spotted
Accessories spotted
Droid 3 to be end-of-lifed this month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Anyone return their GNex for another phone or even an iphone and want to share?

As much as I like the speed and screen size of the GNex, there's all these little "things" I keep running into that are making me have commitment issues into swapping phones.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ghostinmyshell posted:

It's pretty well-known that hotsauce flipped his GSM/UMTS GNex for a Galaxy Note and much prefers the even larger screen.

ghostinmyshell posted:

there's all these little "things" I keep running into
Such as?

Swapping to an iPhone 4S is entirely reasonable, particularly if you're discovering that the Android ecosystem just isn't right for you. However, I'm not sure there's an obvious, different Android device to swap to. Also, if the "little things" are issues related to likely-fixed software bugs or ICS compatibility/growing pains, the GNex is one of the few devices for which I'm confident in saying "they'll be fixed".

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ghostinmyshell posted:

As much as I like the speed and screen size of the GNex, there's all these little "things" I keep running into that are making me have commitment issues into swapping phones.

If you'd like to switch, it is probably worth it to just switch. It sounds like you're asking people to point out the niggling issues they have with it, which will only reinforce your decision. We do have someone that went from a GNex to a Note, but speed and screen size went up with that exchange :)

If you're on Verizon, I don't know that you have any better option than an iPhone, unless a RAZR somehow satisfies you better. If you have a GSM Nexus, you're in better shape. You can also always keep the Nexus and try custom roms or tweaks, depending on what issues you're having with it.

Edit: I am dumb, this is the Verizon thread. Yeah, the Nexus is tour best bet for Android.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Ciabatta posted:

If you'd like to switch, it is probably worth it to just switch. It sounds like you're asking people to point out the niggling issues they have with it, which will only reinforce your decision. We do have someone that went from a GNex to a Note, but speed and screen size went up with that exchange :)

If you're on Verizon, I don't know that you have any better option than an iPhone, unless a RAZR somehow satisfies you better. If you have a GSM Nexus, you're in better shape. You can also always keep the Nexus and try custom roms or tweaks, depending on what issues you're having with it.

Edit: I am dumb, this is the Verizon thread. Yeah, the Nexus is tour best bet for Android.

I was curious if anyone else did really.

The volume of the speaker and the camera are the issues I have. I don't think these items can be fixed with a software update.

I originally wanted a WinMo7 phone (not the Trophy), so I am already stuck with my second choice and the doubt in my mind. My Incredible died over the holiday so I had to get a new phone.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ghostinmyshell posted:

The volume of the speaker and the camera are the issues I have. I don't think these items can be fixed with a software update.

I originally wanted a WinMo7 phone (not the Trophy), so I am already stuck with my second choice and the doubt in my mind. My Incredible died over the holiday so I had to get a new phone.

I haven't been bugged by speaker volume, but supposedly volume+ is an app that can help. If camera quality is what disappoints you, I think you're right. I've only really used mine indoors and with relatively static shots, but I've been pretty impressed with it. You can rapid fire shots with flash and slight re-focus at a little faster than one a second. I'm not too picky about the camera quality, though.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Keeping it as it's my first Android phone ever, and there's only one area where I have signal issues and I can resolve that by getting a fentocell for home. AT&T wasn't any better anyways so I doubt a Razr is any better. I wanted a phone where I didn't have to worry about moving poo poo from SD to phone memory and vice versa and the GN fits that fine, even though mtp is a pain in the rear end.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Ciabatta posted:

I haven't been bugged by speaker volume, but supposedly volume+ is an app that can help. If camera quality is what disappoints you, I think you're right. I've only really used mine indoors and with relatively static shots, but I've been pretty impressed with it. You can rapid fire shots with flash and slight re-focus at a little faster than one a second. I'm not too picky about the camera quality, though.

Volume+ has been awesome for me. Not sure if that's because I'm rooted, but it's worth giving it a try before dumping the phone.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
You need Beats audio man. Otherwise your phone is a joke.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

ghostinmyshell posted:

The Rezound has a nice screen, a loud speaker, and a good camera. The downside is it's kind of thick and you have to put up with Sense :barf:

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

tofes posted:

The Rezound has a nice screen, a loud speaker, and a good camera. The downside is it's kind of thick and you have to put up with Sense :barf:

Yeah, and like every other HTC phone, the battery is worse in comparison to other high end phones.

The longer I've worked for Verizon the more and more I see how lovely HTC phones are. I see the Incredible 10+ times a day with memory issues and other problems. It used to be the Eris. Now that we're approaching 1 year since the Thunderbolt came out, I'm seeing that as the next plague.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

kstatix posted:

Yeah, and like every other HTC phone, the battery is worse in comparison to other high end phones.

The longer I've worked for Verizon the more and more I see how lovely HTC phones are. I see the Incredible 10+ times a day with memory issues and other problems. It used to be the Eris. Now that we're approaching 1 year since the Thunderbolt came out, I'm seeing that as the next plague.

Comparing the Incredible to the Eris seems a bit extreme, especially considering the high levels of general shittiness/Satan that the Eris possessed (Eris is apparently the Greek goddess of discord; amusingly fitting name).

I guess I shouldn't get myself worked up over the HTC Edge then?

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

kstatix posted:

Yeah, I'm considering switching to an iPhone because 1) every android phone has to have a huge screen and 2) battery life sucks

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Does anybody else get input lag when trying to enter text to the Awful app in landscape mode? (Forgot to add "on a Gnex")

Re: Beats audio. I think it's pretty amusing that in the Volume+ equalizer presets there is one for "Emulate Beats Audio" and directly below it is "quality settings".

highme fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 3, 2012

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

highme posted:

Does anybody else get input lag when trying to enter text to the Awful app in landscape mode? (Forgot to add "on a Gnex")

I get that in landscape mode in just about everything. Seems like it's more pronounced the more text is in the box.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

So those leaked droid 4 specs says it'll have 16gb internal memory. Does that mean it'll have a slot for additional space? I'm still on the og droid, so I've been out of the loop for a while.

Edit: nvm it says microsd expansion.

Edit 2: gently caress yeah, I could add another 32gb via that microsd slot. This will work perfectly, as my phone and my zune both poo poo the bed recently.

Ghostnuke fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 3, 2012

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp
Am I late to this party?
http://gizmodo.com/5872419/how-to-get-unlimited-data-on-verizon-right-now
It's a loophole to give unlimited data to people who were not around to be grandfathered in it.

As a month old Verizon customer this worked to move from 10gb of data plus tethering 2gb to unlimited and actually costing me less money per month. Took me two attempts.

BobFromMarketing fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 3, 2012

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Welp I guess this answers the question of when the double data promo is going away.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

kitten smoothie posted:

Welp I guess this answers the question of when the double data promo is going away.

If I wasn't on unlimited data, I'd be really pissed off right now as someone waiting on the Droid 4.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Kyrosiris posted:

If I wasn't on unlimited data, I'd be really pissed off right now as someone waiting on the Droid 4.

Kind of unrealistic, they have consistently said that they were only offering double data through the holidays. Also waiting for the blow up when all the people who used a bug to get unlimited data flip out when they lose it.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

But as a lover of keyboards you're perpetually pissed off :)

WeaselWeaz posted:

Also waiting for the blow up when all the people who used a bug to get unlimited data flip out when they lose it.

That's going to be hilarious. There was someone on Gizmodo talking about how Verizon ended up charging them for all the data they used when they bugged into unlimited data. They got out of it but not without a fight.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Codiusprime posted:

But as a lover of keyboards you're perpetually pissed off :)

Too true! :v:

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I ended up taking my GNex back to Best Buy this morning and was able to determine the one I got had a bad speaker. Now that I can hear my phone ring without having to pay attention, I will definitely give it a fair shake.

I'm just annoyed now that I forgot to buy a bunch of micro usb cables while there for charging.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

ghostinmyshell posted:

I ended up taking my GNex back to Best Buy this morning and was able to determine the one I got had a bad speaker. Now that I can hear my phone ring without having to pay attention, I will definitely give it a fair shake.

I'm just annoyed now that I forgot to buy a bunch of micro usb cables while there for charging.

Don't be. For the price of a single micro USB cable at Best Buy, you could get about 20 of them shipped to you overnight from monoprice.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I know there was a 4G outage last night into this morning, but has anybody heard anything about any other service outages? Since this morning I've lost the ability to make or receive calls, or send or receive texts.
The thing is, I'm on an old dumbphone (Samsung Alias 2), so a 3G/4G issue shouldn't affect me, should it? I can't even get *228 or 611 going, even if the call goes through, it gets dropped almost immediately.
It's not the phone, since I have another Alias 2 and an older LG model that I've tried calling 611 on, and it's not working with those phones either. I'm in the Boston area if that makes a difference.

Welp, 4 days later and still no change. Verizon tech support told me to wait till today, and call them back if it wasn't fixed. I think I'm going to go the whole "fix this or I cancel my account" road, because, hell, if I can't use my cell phone at all while I'm in my apartment, I might as well get a land line (gently caress no) or switch carriers (yes).
This really might be the most bizarre problem I've ever had. The outage radius is literally like a hundred feet from my apartment. It's almost like something in my building is creating the outage, but I have no clue what it could possibly be.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

BobFromMarketing posted:

Am I late to this party?
http://gizmodo.com/5872419/how-to-get-unlimited-data-on-verizon-right-now
It's a loophole to give unlimited data to people who were not around to be grandfathered in it.

As a month old Verizon customer this worked to move from 10gb of data plus tethering 2gb to unlimited and actually costing me less money per month. Took me two attempts.

According to this Consumerist article, Verizon caught on:

http://consumerist.com/2012/01/verizon-catches-on-to-unlimited-data-loophole-returns-account-to-tiered-pricing.html

Expect your unlimited data to go away soon.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Codiusprime posted:

That's going to be hilarious. There was someone on Gizmodo talking about how Verizon ended up charging them for all the data they used when they bugged into unlimited data. They got out of it but not without a fight.

Someone told Consumerist that they tried this, and Verizon's auditors caught it and slapped him back down to tiered within 45 minutes.

The instant Slickdeals got their hands on this, it was doomed. One guy on the Slickdeals thread said he called 30 times until he got a CSR who would actually add the feature.

edit: beaten

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

rockinricky posted:

http://consumerist.com/2012/01/verizon-catches-on-to-unlimited-data-loophole-returns-account-to-tiered-pricing.html

Thank heavens I didn't try this trick. At least AT&T never cared that I did the O. G. iphone grandfather trick.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I saw something with a fee increase from like .79 cents to .99 cents today to get out of a verizon contract this month. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

edit: It was a Federal Universal Charge. Not sure if that is ETF worthy.

TLG James fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 4, 2012

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

TLG James posted:

I saw something with a fee increase from like .79 cents to .99 cents today to get out of a verizon contract this month. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Don't they usually try to give you a lot of pushback on this, by saying "oh we'll just credit your account 20 cents every month for the rest of your contract so it's not a problem anymore?"

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

kitten smoothie posted:

Don't they usually try to give you a lot of pushback on this, by saying "oh we'll just credit your account 20 cents every month for the rest of your contract so it's not a problem anymore?"

Yep, they will just give you $4 credit or some poo poo.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ghostinmyshell posted:

Never buy accessories at best buy for anything. The markup is horrible.

some_weird_kid
Mar 16, 2004

My popcorn is cautiously and provisionally RDY
I'm getting a ton of duplicate texts on my stock Verizon Droid X. It seems to happen almost as often as it doesn't. Usually I'll get the same text twice, separated by 6-8 seconds, but often I'll get the text 3 or 4 times. If the person sends two different texts right after each other, I'll usually get them in order, followed by the first text again and sometimes the second text doubled as well. It does seem to be more common with certain people, though it's pretty widespread. Yesterday I was texting back and forth with two different people (both Verizon, I believe) and every text was coming through 3 times. I've gone over my out of network texting recently and this could be at fault, but mostly I'm worried about it because it's just terribly annoying.

I don't have any third party messaging apps installed, and I tried clearing the cache yesterday without any appreciable impact. I would lean toward a network issue, but that almost seems like admitting defeat since I expect a very low chance of having Verizon acknowledge and fix the problem. Also, while it seems to be more common at my apartment, I've experienced the issue all over the place including a recent trip several states away.

In a probably unrelated but potentially helpful addition, I've also had other weird texting issues. First, it's fairly common for a message to hold at "sending" with the green arrow for days. Then it will either send at some undetermined time days later, or when I restart my phone. When I drive home (5 hour trip), my phone does this consistently with a particular contact. I can text her from my apartment or from my destination, but for the whole stretch of travel my texts get stuck at "sending." (There is full service, and I can text any other contact without issues.) This has happened consistently the last 3 or 4 times I've tried. The "stuck at sending" problem seems to be fairly common with the Droid X Gingerbread update, but is often associated with third party texting apps.

I've pretty much abandoned hope on smooth operation, but maybe someone can offer some suggestion?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

TLG James posted:

Does that only let you break a contract too leave, or give the option for ming to month?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
as far as I can recall, I believe raising an ETF does so - they usually send out a letter about it.

That is "usually".

Not sure if 20 cents is enough to be materially adverse or not - anyone else?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

notwithoutmyanus posted:

as far as I can recall, I believe raising an ETF does so - they usually send out a letter about it.

That is "usually".

Not sure if 20 cents is enough to be materially adverse or not - anyone else?

IIRC, any increase (even $.01) is "materially adverse" according to contract language. The term is not subject to degrees or severity.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

As was previously stated, the only thing they are going to do is give you credit for those .20 over the course of the contract. They aren't going to let you out over what amounts to $5.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bull3964 posted:

As was previously stated, the only thing they are going to do is give you credit for those .20 over the course of the contract. They aren't going to let you out over what amounts to $5.

If you push it, they will. It's still a contract breach, but the credits will stave off the more casual carrier-jumpers.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

AlexDeGruven posted:

If you push it, they will. It's still a contract breach, but the credits will stave off the more casual carrier-jumpers.

Does anyone have a link to this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp

rockinricky posted:

I read this yesterday but it's the only instance of it happening that I can find so it's sounding sort of like bullshit. Everywhere else that mentions it happening links the consumerist. If masses of people were getting it reverted back they would be bitching about it somewhere.

If it does happen oh well, I will just put my tiered data plan back where it was. If Verizon really wanted to gently caress with it's customers it would be waiting till near the end of the month to lower them back down from unlimited since the double data plan is still going.

• Locked thread