Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Peanut President posted:

So I may or may not be getting FM4 soon. I had really bad issues playing online on FM3, and I'm worried it'll be the same thing with 4. If anyone else had problems like mine did they fix it in 4?

Racing online is pretty sucky for me. I'm rarely able to connect to games. My roommate and I cannot play in the same race online, although this works fine in every other XBL game. When I finally get lucky enough to connect, load failures are frequent and entirely break the lobby, forcing you to try to reconnect. Load times themselves are abominable, though that's not just an online failure ("loading menus"?? gently caress you). The Forza servers are also down more frequently than they ought to be, but that'll probably get fixed when winter breakers go back to school.

If the only thing you're buying it for is playing online in real time, I'd consider renting first to see how it behaves on your network. But even with my broken connection, Forza 4 is pretty much the only game I've played since it came out. I've been having so much fun just in Rivals mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
Finished off my pair of Super Trofeo liveries, #7 and #24.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Sunday Punch posted:

Finished off my pair of Super Trofeo liveries, #7 and #24.

:drat:

Those are some seriously slick liveries.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Seconded. drat, Sunday, good work!

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Holy poo poo those are impressive.

Irish Legend
Aug 12, 2011

Ringo Star Get posted:

All this hardware and this guy uses all assists as far as I know and I'm sure the electric company sends him a card every Christmas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gebKNVToFs

I guess it is one of those things where I can say he is probably having fun. I would have spent the money in a much different way even if i was intending on spending it all on Forza. But to each his own, and maybe someday he will turn off an assist or two.

Mac Tonight
Mar 12, 2006

aw yeah tahts it man
is anyone else having issues with the latest update? i rented forza 4 a few months ago and finally bought it today. when i put the game in, it loaded as if it was the first time playing even though all my saved games/data are there on my hard drive. i lost all my cars and designed and progress after the update

i checked the forza forums and couldnt find anything there

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
So, what exactly are "unicorn" cars?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Foehammer007 posted:

So, what exactly are "unicorn" cars?

They are cars that can only be obtained by racing against Turn-10 employees, or some other special event, or bought on the Auction House by using credit exploits which then get your Xbox Live account banned. There are 11 of these in FM4.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I said come in! posted:

They are cars that can only be obtained by racing against Turn-10 employees, or some other special event, or bought on the Auction House by using credit exploits which then get your Xbox Live account banned. There are 11 of these in FM4.

In fact, there are 17 :eng101:

Best bet is definitely Game with Dev events. I've gotten in to all but one of those so far. There are also contests (easiest being photo contests I guess), but those are a lot harder, as they pick only 3 winners out of thousands of submissions.

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
Are there any straight up time trials for Fujimi Kaido in the rivals section? I love racing against people with traffic, but I would rather have a straight up time trial without the traffic.

Tribal Rival
Oct 5, 2008

I am this fiery snail crawling home
I've played 3 so much my trigger finger hurts. 4 is only 40 bucks on Amazon.com, so I'm spending that money. This game is addictive as hell.

Is the AI in 4 better than in 3? I'm playing on normal and i tend to destroy them out of the gate and then my next few laps are just me vs the track.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Splits posted:

I've played 3 so much my trigger finger hurts. 4 is only 40 bucks on Amazon.com, so I'm spending that money. This game is addictive as hell.

Is the AI in 4 better than in 3? I'm playing on normal and i tend to destroy them out of the gate and then my next few laps are just me vs the track.

Play FM4 on hard or professional. The great thing about FM4's A.I. is that they rarely do something like ram into you or try to drive you off the track. I don't even have rewind turned on anymore (you can turn it off in FM4 for a credit bonus increase) because there is just no need to use it. In other racing sims, the A.I. is always unaware of your presence and never makes any attempts to avoid you. That is not the case in FM4.

alr
May 14, 2009
Yeah the AI isn't perfect, but it's pretty good, the only problems I have with it are a couple of specific turns the AI loves to PIT me on. First hairpin at the Nurburgring GP circuit comes to mind, no matter how good my line is, if there's an AI driver within a few car lengths of me going into the turn I'm going to get shunted or sideswiped.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
I just wish I could follow an AI closely through a corner without worrying about getting brake checked. I feel like in the higher PI races they do it purely to be dicks.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Play FM4 on hard or professional. The great thing about FM4's A.I. is that they rarely do something like ram into you or try to drive you off the track. I don't even have rewind turned on anymore (you can turn it off in FM4 for a credit bonus increase) because there is just no need to use it. In other racing sims, the A.I. is always unaware of your presence and never makes any attempts to avoid you. That is not the case in FM4.

Turning rewind off makes the AI races way more intense, in my opinion, since the stakes for each turn become so much higher. Well worth it once you get the hang of the game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I wish Turn 10 would take a page out of the freemium game model book. Charge five bucks for each unicorn or something. I'd pay five dollars for an M3 GTR.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I wish Turn 10 would take a page out of the freemium game model book. Charge five bucks for each unicorn or something. I'd pay five dollars for an M3 GTR.

Isn't this what the car packs and the ability to buy separate cars is already?

I wish the packs were more attractive looking, they don't appear to add anything completely different than the cars already included on the disc.

edit: They may be cars new to the game, but they don't seem unique enough from the drivers' seat to warrant buying them unless I already had an interest in a particular model. I suppose what I meant to say is that I wish there were more gimmicky vehicles, as silly as that sounds.

satanic splash-back fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 2, 2012

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

All of the DLC cars are unique and brand new to Forza. They are targeted towards car enthusiasts, and people who really appreciate all different types of cars. If you just want a racing game, I can understand skipping the DLC, unless new tracks were added. As far as I know, Turn-10 has no plans to add more tracks.

As for the unicorn cars, there is no way to buy them with actual money.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 2, 2012

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Well that's the only way to get those cars. Though I guess car tokens for really expensive cars is how they have adapted a freemium model. I just really want that M3 GTR. I'm always busy whenever they do game with devs events.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I do believe I'm just about ready for Wednesday's AI race.

I know it's a bit plain, but it's actually a replica of Chris Griswold's (multiple) championship AIX car. Also, I've got my weight right at the minimum. Boo-yah.

Fake edit: Sunday Punch's liveries make me look like a bitch.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Just put down an OK time in the Rivals section on the Nordschleife and beat the current AUGR rival, only to have the next one come up almost 20 seconds faster. Goddamn I'm gonna have to work to gain all those fuckers back. 7:34:275 to beat in a Radical SR8.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
I haven't even bothered looking at any of the other rivals right, only the reasonable priced car one. :3:

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
If I pick up the season pass now, will it let me download the older content? I assume yes but I want to be sure.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Less Fat Luke posted:

If I pick up the season pass now, will it let me download the older content? I assume yes but I want to be sure.

It will. Just make sure you download it through the game and not through the Xbox Live Marketplace. I just did a few days ago and had no problems.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

It will. Just make sure you download it through the game and not through the Xbox Live Marketplace. I just did a few days ago and had no problems.
Awesome, thanks for the quick response!

Deputy Dangerous
Mar 20, 2011

90% gravity
Just made the goonbus from stills from Youtube videos. Now I gotta get my HUMMER affinity up so I can upgrade the H1 to A-class and take it into Tag.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Just download the free car from every pack in the marketplace. Since you own the season pass, it lets you use the cars. I don't know if you can just download them from in game or not, I've never been able to. Mostly because when the new pack comes out, its never in game, you always have to go to the market place and buy it from there.

So just keep in mind, when the new packs come out, chances are you have to go to the marketplace and download the free car to get your pack.

Deputy Dangerous
Mar 20, 2011

90% gravity
I have grown to love Tag mode.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

JaysonAych posted:

I never had problems with Forza 3 on Live, but I could not get FM4 to connect at all until I set up the NAT and DMZ settings for my router.

Okay, not to sound completely ignorant, but what does this mean and how can I do it to my router so I can get back into racing? I've missed like the last four or five GTCC races because I can't connect for crap.

edit: content:

I'm loving the ABC's when I can connect to a race. It's almost better with stupid pubbies as it presents that extra challenge. Though I could do without the ones who try to ram anyone passing them when driving in the lower classes.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Not sure who runs GISH, but I sent a request in to join :) Live name is similar to this one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

YF19pilot posted:

Okay, not to sound completely ignorant, but what does this mean and how can I do it to my router so I can get back into racing? I've missed like the last four or five GTCC races because I can't connect for crap.

edit: content:

I'm loving the ABC's when I can connect to a race. It's almost better with stupid pubbies as it presents that extra challenge. Though I could do without the ones who try to ram anyone passing them when driving in the lower classes.

What kind of router do you have? Usually the settings for DMZ are around port forwarding somewhere. Give your 360 a static IP and you type that IP into the box for setting something in the DMZ. NAT you might not be able to do anything about, it all depends on how lovely your ISP is. If your ISP doesn't have enough IPs for their users, then you will be stuck behind a NAT (maybe several).

Pinky the Cube
Jul 21, 2010

Deputy Dangerous posted:

I have grown to love Tag mode.

This was glorious. I want a Goonbus!

Deputy Dangerous
Mar 20, 2011

90% gravity

Pinky the Cube posted:

This was glorious. I want a Goonbus!

Tomorrow I'll try to upload it to marketplace.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
1980 Oldsmobile Omega. K Kar action. Manual.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
1974 Plymouth Road Runner with a boombox in the rear seat because mine didn't come with one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
One cool thing about Fanatec being in Germany is that they are in a time zone ahead of the US. So I send an email to support about my wheel at about 10PM not expecting to hear back for a while. Since they are in Germany, I get an email at about 130 telling me to flash a new firmware to my wheel (which I didn't know existed since they don't list any firmware on their website). I thought my wheel was broken, and all I needed was a new firmware.

And regarding forza, anyone else notice that cars bought with tokens show up as gifts? Cars I get for free from Turn10 show up as cars I got normally, but cars I buy with tokens show up as gifts with one owner (me). This is a bit annoying.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Dr. Faustus posted:

1980 Oldsmobile Omega. K Kar action. Manual.

1979 Chevy Malibu :colbert:

Or at least a late 80's Thunderbird.

I said come in! posted:

All of the DLC cars are unique and brand new to Forza. They are targeted towards car enthusiasts, and people who really appreciate all different types of cars. If you just want a racing game, I can understand skipping the DLC, unless new tracks were added. As far as I know, Turn-10 has no plans to add more tracks.

As for the unicorn cars, there is no way to buy them with actual money.

This is why I love Forza. It's one thing to have a ton of cars and great racing and all of that, but Forza offers so much stuff to the true gearhead. Cars like the Fiero aren't there for the casual gamer, they are there for car junkies to be nerds over, and I love Forza because of it.

You can only race so many Vettes and Ferraris, ya know?

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jan 3, 2012

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Wow the Pinto is the lowest PI rated car in the game. It's so low, you can add all kinds of poo poo to it before it even lifts off the rock bottom rating of 100. Oh but the things you can add to it: giant fiberglass hood scoop? yes please. 305mm wide rear tires, why of course. Supercharged Shelby V8? yes this will fit nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If Turn-10 can just add a DLC pack with some city courses, it'll be the perfect racing sim. I think Forza 4 stops just short of pure perfection. It's really close though.

• Locked thread