Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Rodent Mortician posted:

I've had a couple with eye problems, but they stemmed from root elongation problems (with the teeth). I would suspect that the general exaggeration of the skull shape would be pretty conducive to eye problems, though.

I haven't seen particular issues with lionheads. They're the popular breed du'jour, and a lot of what comes up is pretty random, normal 'byb' type rabbit stuff (general poor health) but I think that's more an effect of people breeding the crap out of them from marginal stock because it's a free-for-all rather than any particular breed deficiency.

All rabbits are jerks, that's just part of owning a rabbit.
I asked because Bun has chronic weepy eye, but the Vet says he can't find any evidence of infection and is probably due to him not being able to clean himself as well anymore.

Bun is a dwarf and is one of the most well behaved rabbits ever. TJ is a lionhead who is a massive jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

cuntvalet posted:

Thats really cute. I wish the bunny I'm bunnysitting for would fling things.

Other than his litter box.

:catstare:

It's the best thing ever when Lola gets ahold of a slinky. She tries so hard to fling it away, only to have it return! Sometimes she'll get it sorta bent over and moving, and then she'll box it.

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

CampingCarl posted:

I asked because Bun has chronic weepy eye, but the Vet says he can't find any evidence of infection and is probably due to him not being able to clean himself as well anymore.

Bun is a dwarf and is one of the most well behaved rabbits ever. TJ is a lionhead who is a massive jerk.

Have they done dental x-rays? That can be a sign of a tooth root elongation.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

DS at Night posted:

-Dwarf rabbits are assholes
-Female rabbits are assholes
-Female dwarf rabbits are Satan

I have two female dwarf rabbits. Part dwarf anyway, they're totally not purebread. I love them more than anything, but I know that neither one of them are beginner rabbits. Camille will not tolerate hands under any circumstances. She's just barely beginning to figure out that pettins feel good, but when she pushes your hand away, that's it, she's done, quit trying to do anything with her.

Pepper is very sweet to me. She chases Camille, though, and both cats are scared of her. Think about that.

I'm not pissing around when I tell people to go adopt the old huge bunnies at the shelter.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

cuntvalet posted:

Thats really cute. I wish the bunny I'm bunnysitting for would fling things.

Other than his litter box.

:catstare:

I'm pretty this led to him to flinging scissors at my friend's head. He really did not like being groomed.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Bean posted:

I have two female dwarf rabbits. Part dwarf anyway, they're totally not purebread. I love them more than anything, but I know that neither one of them are beginner rabbits. Camille will not tolerate hands under any circumstances. She's just barely beginning to figure out that pettins feel good, but when she pushes your hand away, that's it, she's done, quit trying to do anything with her.

Pepper is very sweet to me. She chases Camille, though, and both cats are scared of her. Think about that.

I'm not pissing around when I tell people to go adopt the old huge bunnies at the shelter.

Yeah, we've had Lola for over one year now, and I can count the number of times she's hopped into my lap on two hands. She does *not* abide being picked up at all, for any reason.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Bean posted:

purebread

:confused:

Not trying to bust your balls here I just had to google for bunny bread and d'aww~

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
Thankfully all of this chatter about angry as hell female dwarves makes me feel better about my little angel terror. Super adorable, of course fluffier than you can imagine, and she will sprint away / grunt like crazy if you try to touch her.

No idea why, my other rabbit loves being pet / brushed, and even learned how to periscope up and balance on the cage for treats! Now if only you could train them to NOT eat the carpet...

edit: my local rabbit network posted this on facebook.

http://i.imgur.com/HEGNx.jpg

:3:

Lobsterboy fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 31, 2011

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

If I made one of those it'd probably say "Sennheiser definitely tastes better than Sony".

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

niethan posted:

how brave of you to have books on the bottom shelf of your bookshelf :ohdear:

HappilyDeranged
Mar 17, 2009
I guess I got lucky, because my female dwarf isn't too evil. She's not exactly snuggly, but I can pick her up and pet her and whatnot without any trouble. She used to be bad about attacking feet, but that stopped after she got spayed. I have one of those big exercise balls, and lately she's been doing this really cute thing where she pushes it around with her nose then kinda dances around it while it rolls- I keep trying to get a video, but it seems like my creatures never do anything cute when I have the camera out.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

luscious posted:

It would be nice if all it took was to keep things up a little higher.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
So, here's the rabbit I'm bunnysitting.

It's name is "HuneyBunny". Yeah, that's not a typo. They actually spelled "honey" as "Huney". Maybe it's a reference to Winnie the Pooh?

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

DS at Night posted:

-Dwarf rabbits are assholes
-Female rabbits are assholes
-Female dwarf rabbits are Satan

This explains so much about my dwarf-mix girl who is currently trying to dig into my leg. She's missing the blanket every other swipe. Sigh.

luscious posted:

Seriously. I used to have books on my bottom shelf. Now I have a pile of shredded paper.

Oh, and the only games we have are "we'll sit here and look cute while you pet us WAIT WHY ARE YOU STOPPING I'M NOT DONE YET" and "chewchewchewchewthroughthecarpetchew". Carpet is easily exchangeable with blankets, sheets, clothes, anything chew-through-able, and some things not.

angelicism fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 31, 2011

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

angelicism posted:

This explains so much about my dwarf-mix girl who is currently trying to dig into my leg. She's missing the blanket every other swipe. Sigh.

don't be so naive! She's using that as an excuse to take out her aggression. I SWEAR that as I typed that sentence MY female dwarf came running into the room thumping every two feet. She's angry because I vacuumed.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Every time I get the hiccups, have a sneezing fit, or dare to cough more than a couple times in a row, Gordon runs behind my couch and thumps at me.

She loves me now though. If I lie down on the floor and pet her face for at least 5 minutes, she will now sniff my face and hair. I caught her licking my hair the other day. She makes the cutest little sniffy sounds.

IT TOOK 4 YEARS BUT MY RABBIT FINALLY LIKES ME.

She's bad but I love her. She likes to sit under my desk, but today I wanted to get some sewing done which meant she had to relocate. I shooed her away and she tried to lie down on the pedal. She just likes to be around me, and on special occasions (when the planets are aligned and I've sacrificed blood to the blood god) she'll hop up on the couch and let me pet her. Otherwise she just begs when I'm eating. Even if it's something she knows she isn't allowed or physically can't eat, she just has to check.

She also makes galloping sounds when she gets zoomy. It's like the tiniest, fluffiest pony. :3:

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

your reviews aren't that good
My male dwarf mix is finally calming down and becoming more friendly, at the age of 6. He is an old man now :3:

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

my boyfriend just looked over and saw Bitsy eating a hair elastic. We both got up and started chasing her. Their room is small but holy poo poo did she take advantage of it. Finally she went into her cardboard tunnel and shot out the other side. Right into my arms. I had to lift her and he had to PRY IT OUT OF HER MOUTH while she grunted and squirmed and POOPED ON ME.

she's a she devil female dwarf.

when we were meeting his family they made the normal "I'll get you a great recipe" joke and he said "Paterson would be tasty but Bitsy would just be tough and taste like spite... I'm not eating her!"

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

My rabbit got a bit of that brown packaging tape stuck to her mane (lionhead) a couple of years ago.

Cue half an hour of her running the fastest i've ever seen her do and kicking the absolute poo poo out of me when i did finally catch her. Rabbits don't know what's good for them and they are assholes about being helped.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I still have bad dreams about the time Billy got diarrhoea and I had to chase him around the room while he was spraying liquid poo poo all over the place. Though to be honest one of the funniest things I've ever seen was my flatmate reading a magazine and not noticing Tsjoe stealthily creeping up on him, followed by her ripping it out of his hands and hauling rear end to the other side of the room. It was glorious, the ultimate dick move.

By the way I'm finding it VERY hard to find the right way to respond to the endless loving comments of :downs: hurr a rabbit you should eat it!!! :downs: that I get from pretty much everybody. I don't know what makes people think they're the first to say it or that there's anything about it that I would find amusing but they just keep on fuckin' coming. I'm assuming from Luscious' post it happens to other rabbit owners a lot as well. It just makes me want to barf rolleyes smileys at them or something...

HappilyDeranged posted:

I guess I got lucky, because my female dwarf isn't too evil. She's not exactly snuggly, but I can pick her up and pet her and whatnot without any trouble.
See the thing is that mine is actually extremely cuddly a lot of the time when she's not being a dick. If I'm lying on the couch she'll lie down on my chest for extra good petting and loves just feeling my breath or something. If I'm sitting at my desk she'll hop into my lap and snuggle up in my arms like a little baby. These kinds of things make it very difficult for me to hate her.

quote:

She used to be bad about attacking feet, but that stopped after she got spayed.
Mine still does this pretty much all the time even though she's been spayed for years. Which kind of sucks for me being a diabetic and all. I should start wearing clogs.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

DS at Night posted:

By the way I'm finding it VERY hard to find the right way to respond to the endless loving comments of :downs: hurr a rabbit you should eat it!!! :downs: that I get from pretty much everybody. I don't know what makes people think they're the first to say it or that there's anything about it that I would find amusing but they just keep on fuckin' coming. I'm assuming from Luscious' post it happens to other rabbit owners a lot as well. It just makes me want to barf rolleyes smileys at them or something...

I agree. I don't really care anymore but I have snapped at people in the past and said, "why, have you eaten your pets in the past?"

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

DS at Night posted:

I may or may not have finally snapped at my former boss (who asked me this like, once a day) and went over how I'd field dress his yappy westie for steaks while he stared at me horrified. I told him it was the same thing and to never mention it again. 3 years of that crap.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Rodent Mortician posted:

I may or may not have finally snapped at my former boss (who asked me this like, once a day) and went over how I'd field dress his yappy westie for steaks while he stared at me horrified. I told him it was the same thing and to never mention it again. 3 years of that crap.

This is awesome. :D

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

luscious posted:

I don't really care anymore but I have snapped at people in the past and said, "why, have you eaten your pets in the past?"

I've only had the question come up once. I think it's because I would sometimes introduce the rabbits as my "emergency food". Beat them to the punch.

The one comment I get annoyed with most is being accused of spoiling my rabbit because I buy her fresh veggies and order a box of hay online for the "same prices as 15 bales down the road"... from a farm that lets the poo poo sit outside, and who knows what is in it. I used to bale hay. I remember finding dead frogs or snakes in the bales we fed the horses. No thank you. Not going to deal with that anymore.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Windy posted:

The one comment I get annoyed with most is being accused of spoiling my rabbit because I buy her fresh veggies and order a box of hay online for the "same prices as 15 bales down the road"... from a farm that lets the poo poo sit outside, and who knows what is in it. I used to bale hay. I remember finding dead frogs or snakes in the bales we fed the horses. No thank you. Not going to deal with that anymore.

We only feed Cilantro fresh veggies and her requisite 1/4 cup of pellets per night. Her hay ships across the drat continent (WA to SC) because I can't find any good quality hay grown locally.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I have people telling me that I spoil all my animals. I actually just treat them all with respect and give them the space and diet that they require!

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

luscious posted:

I have people telling me that I spoil all my animals. I actually just treat them all with respect and give them the space and diet that they require!

Who knew, am I right?!

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Papercraft bunnaaaaaaaaaaays!
Had to mod the pattern a bit for the lionhead one, I forgot her butt-skirt.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010

Rodent Mortician posted:

This is fair response, I think. Recently I went a bit overboard when someone dropped a comment along the lines of "I don't understand how people keep livestock as pets" and reminded him that dog farming exists. The "why don't we eat your rabbit" thing just gets old, but calling them livestock was even more annoying somehow.

Huge Liability fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 4, 2012

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Huge Liability posted:

This is fair response, I think. Recently I went a bit overboard when someone dropped a comment along the lines of "I don't understand how people keep livestock as pets" and reminded him that dog farming exists. The "why don't we eat your rabbit" thing just gets old, but calling them livestock was even more annoying somehow.

I occasionally got the opposite of this, people asking rabbits like Lewis survived in the wild. Angoras are abominations shaped by man, not evolutionary abortions :3:

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
This thread makes me miss my bunnies of childhood. Can someone post pictures of black rex rabbits please? Mini-rexes will do in a pinch. :)

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
I make more jokes about eating my rabbit than anyone I know does. I was really tempted to do so this weekend when he ate the cable for my wireless KB/mouse receiver. Then he wiggled his nose at me and I couldn't stay mad.

okiecompy posted:

I'll be your best friend forevs if you'll post a link to the plans for the little blue one.

gizmojumpjet fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 4, 2012

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Family and friends are probably 50% on the eating jokes, but it could be worse. One of my not so bright family members made a straight faced comment about not getting them fixed so that they could make litters that he could feed to his pet snake.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

gizmojumpjet posted:

I make more jokes about eating my rabbit than anyone I know does. I was really tempted to do so this weekend when he ate the cable for my wireless KB/mouse receiver. Then he wiggled his nose at me and I couldn't stay mad.

I'll be your best friend forevs if you'll post a link to the plans for the little blue one.

Link! http://www.e-maruman.co.jp/download/craft/rabbit_gray/index.html

There are 4 different colors on there, if you click the first link on the picture it downloads a PDF, the second link is the directions.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

You guys have to check out this vid of this doofy bun who keeps throwing herself on her back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wfJ1wwp8lQ&feature=colike

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
I'm incredibly excited. I'm going to pick up a 10 week old Flemish Giant tomorrow night to round off our group of two girls and settle us with a (hopefully) amazing trio. I thought I'd share some pictures because who doesn't love photos of bunnies with big goofy ears and feet. http://imgur.com/a/qPnYF#mGteg

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

that is exciting! The bunny looks adorable - though a bit like my evil princess.

I love how large the hind legs are. How big is that thing going go get?

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

luscious posted:

that is exciting! The bunny looks adorable - though a bit like my evil princess.

I love how large the hind legs are. How big is that thing going go get?

Flemish Giants get pretty drat large. 15-20 lbs large.

We've decided on the name "Sputnik" and I'm excited to pick him up. His current owner has a chronic illness that prevents her from being able to have a pet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
D'awwwwwwwwwwww giant bunny!