Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Contest Winner posted:

I have noticed this weird hatred of Brazilian players in a lot of online games, where does that come from?

Brazilians are pretty prolific in F2P games in general, which are a cesspool of terrible people all around who are prone to racism, but they likely get their reputation due to MMOs. They tend to be very assertive when asking for things, and occasionally this translates into aggressive begging, aggressive "BR?"ing, and, F2P gamers being pieces of poo poo as a whole, being a dick if their requests/demands aren't met. This, combined with a different language, combined with being the largest minority on any F2P server they're on, usually leads to a pretty hefty amount of racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
A lot of dota players hate Euros because they dont speak English. There is nothing more irritating then playing with someone and saying "hey bud do you think you can go pull those creeps over there?(A tactic that benefits both parties him and I,) only to receive "no english". Also, before you get all WOW RACISM when I play dota I sign onto Battlenet through U.S. EAST. I understand that someone from Russia is using a dotaclient, and wants to dota as much as I do, but I play on UNITED STATES EAST because the only language I speak is english and the only language I want my team speaking is english. For some reason Euros really suck to. Of course there are exceptions I've played with some decent Germans or Romanians but log onto battlenet between 2am and 7am and it is just a swarm of terrible players guaranteed to go 0-10. No one is hating euros because we are man baby spergs its because we don't get why they dont have their own communities and have to ruin the game for us.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Rap Music and Dope posted:

A lot of dota players hate Euros because they dont speak English. There is nothing more irritating then playing with someone and saying "hey bud do you think you can go pull those creeps over there?(A tactic that benefits both parties him and I,) only to receive "no english". Also, before you get all WOW RACISM when I play dota I sign onto Battlenet through U.S. EAST. I understand that someone from Russia is using a dotaclient, and wants to dota as much as I do, but I play on UNITED STATES EAST because the only language I speak is english and the only language I want my team speaking is english. For some reason Euros really suck to. Of course there are exceptions I've played with some decent Germans or Romanians but log onto battlenet between 2am and 7am and it is just a swarm of terrible players guaranteed to go 0-10. No one is hating euros because we are man baby spergs its because we don't get why they dont have their own communities and have to ruin the game for us.

Yeah! Speaking of that, why can't black people move back to Africa!?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

big duck equals goose posted:

Is this some kind of meta post where you are trying to grief the thread or are you just the master of fallacies?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Someone wants to play a communication heavy game with people who speak the same language as him? Racist scum!

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
Yeah bro speaking the same language in a game requiring huge team effort is a lot similar to black people going to the same school as white people. You sound a lot like the people I dota with.(huge idiots)

Edit: Beaten^, but thanks

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Shumagorath posted:

It's really unfortunate that I'm too busy to re-make The Hotdog in Dark Souls.

The what?

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Sometimes I just want to get my nails done and some Korean woman is all like "Yip yap wa kung" or something and it's like, holy poo poo, learn to speak english or don't bother even dealing with the average american, ya dig? I try to find a place with an all english speaking team of nail techs, but that's a pipe dream!

The key to perfect nails is communication, but I tell ya...

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
This thread just taught me that anything on the last 210 pages completely pales in both quality and quantity when compared to the satanic formula the dota designers unleashed.

meat on a Friday
Dec 9, 2010

Contest Winner posted:

I have noticed this weird hatred of Brazilian players in a lot of online games, where does that come from?

I always assumed this was because people not in the US get a really high ping. A high ping usually indicates how much lag a person is getting in most games. However if someone lags in wc3, the game is paused and a nice, black box displaying who is lagging overlays the screen along with a counter that counts down from 45 seconds. If the counter reaches zero, other players in the game have the choice of voting to kick the player(s) that is lagging. If you wanted to, you could cause a high amount of lag on your computer for 15 or 30 seconds, wait for a minute or two for the counter to "reset" to 45, and do it all over again. As long as the player(s) that is lagging never reaches 0, nobody can do anything about it (unless they have a custom kick program). They'll just have to endure the game pausing every minute for thirty seconds for the entire game. This can cause a lot of angry responses.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
This is actually the first that I heard of how to get dota right. There was a time when I wanted to try it out when it first came out, and i kept getting booted for no reason. I actually did get a version, and then everybody left anyway in a few seconds. The versions out there are absolutely staggering and hard to keep track of.

What is it about these DoTA players that make them more arrogant and obnoxious than a hardcore fighting game fan, or a particular elitist MMO player?

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Speaking of DotA questions, what is the deal with you guys saying "Communication is so important!" every five seconds?

I used to play DotA and I still play LoL. The most communication I hear in random pugs is random racial slurs and people making jokes about anal rape.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

The vast, vast majority of foreign people I've played with in LoL are just awful. It's not even that they can't communicate with me, I've seen teams of 3-4 spanish speakers that don't even communicate with each other except when they start yelling at the other team or myself. I wouldn't ban every foreign person I saw if I could, but I can see why people in a competitive game would want to. Until you've had to play with an rear end in a top hat who can't even speak your language, you shouldn't judge others who do.

Being annoyed that you can't communicate in a teamwork oriented game does not make you a racist.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Zaodai posted:

Russians (and to a lesser extent, Brazilians) draw hate in online games because of a combination of racism (dirty foreigners don't speak English!) and because they tend to be overly aggressive on the whole. There are obviously exceptions to the rule, but by and large they mask a lack of skill and/or willingness to learn by rushing into the middle of the fray with no concern for their own safety or the odds of winning, or how it affects anyone else.

They give no fucks.

Also, french/etc at least can say 'mia' or 'brb' as opposed to completely unreadable cyrillic, assuming you're from the west.

If there's more than one of any of the above it's like a 99% chance they stragiht out refuse to speak english and only communicate with their "countrymen"

Fargin Icehole posted:

What is it about these DoTA players that make them more arrogant and obnoxious than a hardcore fighting game fan, or a particular elitist MMO player?

It's extremely communications-necessary.

You're stuck with your team for upwards of an hour. And if you leave the game, you can get banned for leaving.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 4, 2012

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
edit: oops

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Sometimes I just want to get my nails done and some Korean woman is all like "Yip yap wa kung" or something and it's like, holy poo poo, learn to speak english or don't bother even dealing with the average american, ya dig? I try to find a place with an all english speaking team of nail techs, but that's a pipe dream!

The key to perfect nails is communication, but I tell ya...

Why are you soooooo intent on calling somebody racist? Does it make you feel good about yourself?

Also you loving suck at analogy. You don't need to speak to do nails but you gotta talk to play mobas. You're way more racist than the dude who originally said that btw.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010

Speaking of DotA questions, what is the deal with you guys saying "Communication is so important!" every five seconds?

I used to play DotA and I still play LoL. The most communication I hear in random pugs is random racial slurs and people making jokes about anal rape.

I am a very talkative person and in dota especially. I just tell my teamates whats up or my lane partner when to gank. Sometimes things require more planning than just a simple map ping. Care to explain to me why wanting russian speaking players to play with other russians and not with me is racist I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Edit: I think it's funny in my earlier post I said you sound like someone who plays dota because you are an idiot when in fact you do indeed play dota.

Rap Music and Dope fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 4, 2012

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Oh, sure, put them all in separate but equal servers? You disgust me.

oldgoatmon
Jul 4, 2004

Ohhh Bitch, You Got Jacked Bitch

I'm thinking this guy is a bad troll more than bad poster.

High level games matter and demand so much you have to be all in a voice chat server to have a reasonable shot to win a match. Mid level games at least require some basic stuff beyond being able to say top ss which even other languages will (sometimes) know to say. If you play at a low elo game or just dont care you can ignore all and play basically the same.

Your experience <> good gameplay.

ARTS and Warcrafts
Sep 25, 2011

by Ozmaugh
You can't be racist against white people when you are white.

Also wanting someone to play the game in the language everyone else plays in when communication is required isn't racist or hatred of dirty foreigners.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

ARTS and Warcrafts posted:

You can't be racist against white people when you are white.

Pfft, Slavs don't count as white. :hitler:

Pangalin
Aug 11, 2007

Grown men are talking.
Look, for the sake of those of us who aren't MOBA players can one of you just give some kind of example of a thing that is literally impossible to communicate without a shared language. Like, if you want your partner to gank at a specific time, is there some reason there isn't an ingame prompt for that, like a big GANK NOW icon that doesn't require a specific language to understand? DOTA itself gets some leeway for being a mod, but is there some reason all the clones haven't improved on this? "MOBA players are all douchebags because the mechanics force us to be douchebags" is really kind of unsatisfying.

Edit: I'm beginning to get the idea that a lot of this is just due to the original limitations of the WC3 engine which all the clones have then aped slavishly. And you can't really improve things, because the community howls for blood at the very idea of changing the mystical formula.

Pangalin fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 4, 2012

oldgoatmon
Jul 4, 2004

Ohhh Bitch, You Got Jacked Bitch
Theres calls for need on wards, when to attack and retreat, when the ward is up and if someone checks and it's in the other spot you have to call that out. Pointing out what items to get or what the other team is getting. Once it's teamfight phase you need to call when to initiate, who to attack first, etc.

Pinging is ok for ganks, and maybe a rune. Saying SS (if someone is missing and thus possibly out ganking another lane) is good but id say less than half do if they don't speak the language.

Past that it's too confusing to know what they wanted.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
While I've never played one, my impression is that DotA type games punish quitting, games take a relatively long amount of time, one unskilled player can make the game unwinnable for his or her entire team, it's complicated enough for every new player to be worse than useless, and it even has its own special lingo. In other words, the game itself is structured in a way to make players as unfriendly towards each other as possible. This is combined with software that have low system requirements and are mostly free to play, along with the usual immature idiots who are frequently found in online games. Are we sure that this whole sub genre isn't just an elaborate troll on its players?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Pangalin posted:

Look, for the sake of those of us who aren't MOBA players can one of you just give some kind of example of a thing that is literally impossible to communicate without a shared language. Like, if you want your partner to gank at a specific time, is there some reason there isn't an ingame prompt for that, like a big GANK NOW icon that doesn't require a specific language to understand? DOTA itself gets some leeway for being a mod, but is there some reason all the clones haven't improved on this? "MOBA players are all douchebags because the mechanics force us to be douchebags" is really kind of unsatisfying.

Edit: I'm beginning to get the idea that a lot of this is just due to the original limitations of the WC3 engine which all the clones have then aped slavishly
Congratulations. You actually somehow managed to improve the game 100 fold.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Today I learned DotA players are angry because they play bad games. Why they do this willingly, I have yet to figure out.

EDIT: VVV Because there's more to fun than winning or losing? Did you refuse to play hide and seek as a kid because if you got found, you could just hide again next time in five minutes?

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 4, 2012

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
My friends play Call of Duty and I don't get it you join a game you can do bad or good there is no consequence. You can go 0-10 one game then 8 minutes later another one starts and if you win, so what, another is starting in 8 minutes and whatever you do in that one is also irrelevant. Dota isn't like that.

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...
Going back before the racial derailment:

Shumagorath posted:

It's really unfortunate that I'm too busy to re-make The Hotdog in Dark Souls.

I enjoy Dark Souls, but I am confused as to what this means. :confused:

ARTS and Warcrafts
Sep 25, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Pangalin posted:

Edit: I'm beginning to get the idea that a lot of this is just due to the original limitations of the WC3 engine which all the clones have then aped slavishly. And you can't really improve things, because the community howls for blood at the very idea of changing the mystical formula.

Well first the genre is called ARTS hence my username (MOBA is a stupid sounding and stupid term created by a pedophile).

Secondly, you can't say like "ok you stun first, then I'll stun next" etc if the person doesn't know English. There are certain things that are fairly easy to communicate with in possibly a word or two that a person may know. Like pinging the map and saying "gank" or "push". But Dota 2 has in-game voice chat which makes it easier to coordinate - if you share a language.

Players are douchebags mostly because one person can cause such a detriment to a team, and in general the snowbally nature of games. It's not really excusable since it's a video game. But it does make them easy as hell to grief, along with something like a raid in an MMO.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Doc Hawkins posted:

The what?
Naked guy with a pair of tower shields.

Most of the time you die horribly but every once in awhile you run into someone with a spear or other weapon that can't break your maxed-out stamina and you can just slowly push them off a cliff / into monsters. Dark Souls has more types of elemental damage so it's probably way harder. Pretty sure I have my Demons' Souls example earlier in this thread somewhere.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Pangalin posted:

Bingo.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've noticed that phenomenon myself on Ragnarok Online servers. Filipino and Brazilian players are widely hated because a lot of them tend to be younger than the mean (eg mostly 13-14 year olds) with all the obnoxiousness that that entails.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Yeah, that has to suck when younger kids play your cute anime baby mmo.

Rixen
Feb 18, 2005

Have you had your Reich today?
Speaking of Burnout (at least, when we were speaking of Burnout) does anyone have that collection of pictures someone saved of all the takedowns they performed on people? It was a ton of webcam shots of them freaking out and flipping him off and I can't find it now :(

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
This is a massive thread going back years so this has probably been mentioned already, but I loved the post on SA a long time ago where like 5 or 6 goons invaded a furry(?) strip club in Second Life, and they were all dressed as Kool-Aid men with HUGE red kool-aid dongs. It still cracks me up thinking about the screenshots of that.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Rixen posted:

Speaking of Burnout (at least, when we were speaking of Burnout) does anyone have that collection of pictures someone saved of all the takedowns they performed on people? It was a ton of webcam shots of them freaking out and flipping him off and I can't find it now :(

I too am interested in this, as I vaguely remember seeing a picture or two from it.

Less baby's crying about their video games, more rage stories.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Macaluso posted:

This is a massive thread going back years so this has probably been mentioned already, but I loved the post on SA a long time ago where like 5 or 6 goons invaded a furry(?) strip club in Second Life, and they were all dressed as Kool-Aid men with HUGE red kool-aid dongs. It still cracks me up thinking about the screenshots of that.

That was funny, but not quite as awesome as when a bunch of Goons kept invading in game press conferences for serious events with swarms of flying penises, ruining the commercial viability of Second Life as advertising for serious companies. Well, faster than it would've been ruined naturally anyways. The best part is there's a peer-reviewed sociology journal article on it, IIRC.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Best part is it's happened in real life, though I don't know if a goon is responsible or not.

EDIT: vvvv Yeah my bad, forgot to post the video

RatHat fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 5, 2012

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Cbouncerrun posted:

Best part is it's happened in real life, though I don't know if a goon is responsible or not.

You mean this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbnySBqioB0 ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Slappy Moose posted:

I too am interested in this, as I vaguely remember seeing a picture or two from it.

Less baby's crying about their video games, more rage stories.

Nerolus posted:

Novasol posted:

Impotence fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 4, 2012

• Locked thread