Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Throatwarbler posted:

On the other hand that is definitely frozenphill in the picture.

Further proof that you are what you eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
It was all a dream :(
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1344504/Amber-Heard-takes-favourite-Mustang-muscle-car-spin.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2075684/Amber-Heard-nostalgic-vision-early-60s-attire-fills-matching-1968-Mustang.html

I think I remembered from her Top Gear interview.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Frozenphil is more likely to become a hollywood starlet then ever drive his mustang.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Elephanthead posted:

Frozenphil is more likely to become a hollywood starlet then ever drive his mustang.

:colbert:

http://youtu.be/JDpYTCrhoUY

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
My 6-month old 2012 MCA Mustang is toast.

My wife (driving) and me (passenger) were stopped in weather-related traffic on the southbound New Jersey Turnpike express lanes. Elderly female driver falls asleep at the wheel in a minivan behind us, and rear-ends us offside at ~50MPH. No SRS/airbag deployment on the Mustang, while the minivan had both front driver and passenger airbag deployment. No serious injuries sustained by any of the parties.

Post-Crash Footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVHpD8b3R38

I really honestly hope it's totalled out. The passenger cabin was deformed like a squished rhombus. It looked like a carnival fun house inside.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

thetechnoloser posted:

My 6-month old 2012 MCA Mustang is toast.

My wife (driving) and me (passenger) were stopped in weather-related traffic on the southbound New Jersey Turnpike express lanes. Elderly female driver falls asleep at the wheel in a minivan behind us, and rear-ends us offside at ~50MPH. No SRS/airbag deployment on the Mustang, while the minivan had both front driver and passenger airbag deployment. No serious injuries sustained by any of the parties.

Post-Crash Footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVHpD8b3R38

I really honestly hope it's totalled out. The passenger cabin was deformed like a squished rhombus. It looked like a carnival fun house inside.

drat dude, glad you two are OK. I gotta think that's totaled.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Wombot posted:

drat dude, glad you two are OK. I gotta think that's totaled.

Sorry man I still remember when you posted the picture of the new car :(

I'm gonna say almost for sure totaled. The outside damage is enough but I have to think that there's significant damage to the rear axle and most likely the transmission. I'm assuming there's probably been damage to the front dash as well.

On the other hand you can probably get a new 2012 with no problems since the car is so new. You won't have to gently caress around with insurance settlement or drive someone else's Mustang which is a fate worse than death.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

thetechnoloser posted:

No SRS/airbag deployment on the Mustang

As it should be in a rear end collision. I'd say they will total it as there is some obvious frame flex.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Someone needs to get in touch with Nicholas Cage and see if he knows anything about this.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
You know, I always knew Mustang and other muscle car prices dropped in the Winter, but it doesn't seem like that makes sense in Southern California.

It's like the prices on even used cars are totally unreasonable from December-March and then just go back to unreasonable again.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Does anyone know a place where it may be possible to get a 2013 GT500 for MSRP? 650hp for ~$50k is pretty drat tempting.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Are they even in production yet? 2013 model year probably means some time this summer.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

mod sassinator posted:

Are they even in production yet? 2013 model year probably means some time this summer.

Also, there's a lot of talk about a big price increase to go with the big power increase, bumping it up into the mid-60s most likely.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Comrade Flynn posted:

Does anyone know a place where it may be possible to get a 2013 GT500 for MSRP? 650hp for ~$50k is pretty drat tempting.

Who knows, it's been pretty easy to get a GT500 the past couple of years but this year could be a bit different with the big bump in horsepower.

I'd say start talking to dealers now and expect to pay some sort of markup or do a lot of legwork. The cars won't be around until April if this year is like years past.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah, I meant to place an order which I guess isn't even possible yet. I have a friend at a dealer in the south who thinks the could do it for MSRP.

I'd heard a rumor the price bump will only be 5% but that's only speculation.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Comrade Flynn posted:

Yeah, I meant to place an order which I guess isn't even possible yet. I have a friend at a dealer in the south who thinks the could do it for MSRP.

I'd heard a rumor the price bump will only be 5% but that's only speculation.

Welp I got that there mustang for FAVE HUNNERT HORSEPOWER above msrp.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Muffinpox posted:

I just got back from my dealership and the service manager just told me he placed his order for a 2013 GT500 to replace his 2007. So I guess there are some order banks open just not for the general public.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Muffinpox posted:

SIX HUNNERT FITTY HORSEPAWER!!

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

We're getting close to the point were modified, street driven cars are going to be using 1000hp as the standard for entry to the cool kids club.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

When will tire technology catch up? I want 1+g static road holding. The new GT500 will certainly need it.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Not only is Gotta-Have-It a legit test parameter, it's also a color option!

I'd have to see it in person, but it looks pretty drat good in that lighting. Also I loving love that tail light redesign.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

When will tire technology catch up? I want 1+g static road holding. The new GT500 will certainly need it.

It's on the same tires, but quite possibly will be over 1g of road handling grip with the new suspension. Motor trend measured 0.99 with last years car

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Dick Burglar posted:

Not only is Gotta-Have-It a legit test parameter, it's also a color option!

I'd have to see it in person, but it looks pretty drat good in that lighting. Also I loving love that tail light redesign.

The Mustang team is just killing it right now. Such an awesome time to be a Ford fan.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Car and Driver said the 13 GT500 goes on sale in May. Car looks incredible, but 3800 pounds is a lot. I know it goes 200 mph, but still. I am still happy with my 412 hp 11 GT. That is way more than enough power for me.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Radiohead71 posted:

Car and Driver said the 13 GT500 goes on sale in May. Car looks incredible, but 3800 pounds is a lot. I know it goes 200 mph, but still. I am still happy with my 412 hp 11 GT. That is way more than enough power for me.
The amazing thing to me is that we are now living in a time when 200 mph off the showroom floor is within reach of your average Joe in the street. To put this in some kind of perspective, I was leafing through a copy of the 1988 Guinness Book of World Records I found, and the fastest road car in the world at the time (officially) was the Lamborghini Countach 5000QV at 190.1 mph. I couldn't find the list price, but wiki says it debuted in 1985 at about $100k, which is about $200k in today's money.

Twenty-four years later you can now buy a Mustang that will beat it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Presto posted:

The amazing thing to me is that we are now living in a time when 200 mph off the showroom floor is within reach of your average Joe in the street. To put this in some kind of perspective, I was leafing through a copy of the 1988 Guinness Book of World Records I found, and the fastest road car in the world at the time (officially) was the Lamborghini Countach 5000QV at 190.1 mph. I couldn't find the list price, but wiki says it debuted in 1985 at about $100k, which is about $200k in today's money.

I full expect the 2035 Mustang to run a 3 second quarter mile. It might even be powered by exploding nuclear bombs.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Presto posted:

The last 10 years has been pretty insane if you like fast cars. When I was in high school you were hot poo poo if you had a 2002 Mustang senior year. That thing had 240 horsepower. Now a days you can pick a 4 banger that'll beat it and cost you less and a 6 cylinder Mustang that makes it look like ancient technology.

My only fear is that Ford is upping power faster than they can put it to the ground. I'm preparing myself to be a little disappointed with the numbers when the new GT500 gets reviewed. Hopefully that massive power bump is worth a bit more than 1 or 2/10ths on the strip.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kronix posted:

...2002 Mustang...That thing had 240 horsepower.

:colbert:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Radiohead71 posted:

The 2011 GT weighs 3605 according to Ford, and the '11 GT500 weighs 3820. I doubt you'd notice the weight difference from one to the other especially with the extra 150ish hp, and the '13 isn't gaining any weight plus adding another 100hp. What's not to like?

Edit: For comparison, even the new 911 Turbo S weighs in the neighborhood of 3700.

Phil: Will the hand-held tuners remove the top speed restriction? I want to get a tune and was wondering if any of them do this? I have nowhere to do 185mph, but it'd be nice to know.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 7, 2012

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
I saw the 2013 5.0 in person and the tail lights are.. pretty nice. What they are is one big piece of smoked bubble plastic over intricate LEDs. When the brake lights are off it looks cheaper than i expected though. This was an all black 5.0 and the rest of it looks loving sweet though. I like the little slats in the hood, and the hood seems to sweep down a lot more and make the front of the car look a bit more sleek. The headlights look a lot better in person than i expected. I sort of miss the front fascia of the california special/laguna seca, but the front bumper is much better than the stock one on 5.0s of 2012. The side trim pieces being painted glossy black didnt look too bad and the car didnt look that bloated.

Im trying to get a picture of the taillights from my friend... will post that when available

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 7, 2012

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Presto posted:

To put this in some kind of perspective, I was leafing through a copy of the 1988 Guinness Book of World Records I found, and the fastest road car in the world at the time (officially) was the Lamborghini Countach 5000QV at 190.1 mph.

I have a big picture of an early '80s Countach hanging in my garage, from the time when it was considered the pinnacle of gratuitously overpowered supercars. I've had that picture for at least 25 years. The stock '11 Mustang GT I park under it can cover the 1/4 mile faster. Can't touch the top speed though.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

coolskillrex remix posted:

I saw the 2013 5.0 in person and the tail lights are.. pretty nice. What they are is one big piece of smoked bubble plastic over intricate LEDs. When the brake lights are off it looks cheaper than i expected though. This was an all black 5.0 and the rest of it looks loving sweet though. I like the little slats in the hood, and the hood seems to sweep down a lot more and make the front of the car look a bit more sleek. The headlights look a lot better in person than i expected. I sort of miss the front fascia of the california special/laguna seca, but the front bumper is much better than the stock one on 5.0s of 2012. The side trim pieces being painted glossy black didnt look too bad and the car didnt look that bloated.

Im trying to get a picture of the taillights from my friend... will post that when available

Yes but when can I buy it? When can I give them all of my dollars?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm surprised the facelift does that much for you guys. I'd be looking to get a deal on an '12 over a new '13.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I think the front fascia is a wash, but 'dat rear end' has improved massively.

igv9
Sep 3, 2006
Everything witty I could put here has already been said.
I have a question about adding a hardwired cell phone holder to my car. I have a 2010 GT coupe and would ideally like to tie it in properly to the fuse box. I located the fuse box in the passenger foot well area behind the flimsy pieces of paper, and was surprised to see that all fuse spots contained fuses, even the ones marked "unused". Is this normal for ford vehicles, and if so does that mean the wiring harness has a powered wire running somewhere in the vehicle?

I was looking to just use an add-a-fuse, but would now like to avoid that as the pieces of paper attach to the fuse box cover that would no longer fit. Now I am curious as to if the unused fuses have a wire going somewhere I can re-route, or if they are blank and I can get my own wire end to clip into the plastic fuse block. Anyone happen to know without me ripping my car apart and playing trace the wire?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I'm surprised the facelift does that much for you guys. I'd be looking to get a deal on an '12 over a new '13.

2012 GT's are down to $26,100 locally, that'd be an amazing deal..

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

sanchez posted:

With or without options?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

ApathyGifted posted:

With or without options?

Ill give you a guess

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

sanchez posted:

New or used? The lowest used one around here was a 2011 GT with like 50,000 miles for that same price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

hayden. posted:

New or used? The lowest used one around here was a 2011 GT with like 50,000 miles for that same price.

New; there are quite a few links a few pages back of brand new GTs going for well under $30k. I think the cheapest in my area was in the $25k range.

Recently released used cars are almost universally a rip off.