Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It is hard to edit something written in letters cut from magazines. Especially with how unpopular magazines are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
So I know Dave and Bryan do their rundown of the observer awards every year but do Bryan and Vinny do Best Of/Worst Of year end shows?

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Borh posted:

I don't have much use for PDF's, though I can see why some people would want them, but I wish Meltzer would just hire a guy to spend a couple of hours every week proof-reading the Observer and fixing up the formatting. Hell, get Vinny to do it. It's not a deal-breaker, because ultimately it's the content that matters and that's far and above anything else that's available, but between Dave's quirky writing style and the abstruse formatting, the Observer can be pretty hard to read sometimes.
As someone who writes I can understand that proof reading isn't as easy as it seems after you've read over something two or three times and you start reading on auto-pilot so I'm not surprised to hear for a genius scatter brain like Dave it's not his strongest suit. Proof reading an entire observer would probably be very taxing so having someone else do it is probably a good idea.

jeffersonlives posted:

As crazy as this sounds, he already has one, Scott Williams. If you think Meltzerese is bad now, you should read some ones from before about 2006.
I'll have to check one out of curiosity.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Dave talking about Sean Waltman taking a dump in Juvi's bag is amazing. He used the phrase "take a dump" about a half dozen times and it was hilarious.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That whole story was :stare:

I think I am going to keep a .txt somewhere with all these anecdotes (like the last one of "that's like comparing Ricky Steamboat to Hulk Hogan!") so I can put them together in a Dave mega-mix later.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The latest back issue cracked me up with this blurb:

quote:

Speaking of Cactus Jack, he's opened a side business selling leather biker jackets and vests. For a catalogue send to Cactus Jackets, (Address Redacted since I doubt Mick Foley lives in Georgia anymore!) and he's offering a 10% discount if you write and say you're an Observer reader.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Karmine posted:

Dave talking about Sean Waltman taking a dump in Juvi's bag is amazing. He used the phrase "take a dump" about a half dozen times and it was hilarious.
I was shocked at Dave's discussion of Cena's promo on Raw. "What is he saying? He HAS lady parts?...a vagina? or boobs...." while Bryan is probably trying not to laugh...

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Perigryn posted:

I was shocked at Dave's discussion of Cena's promo on Raw. "What is he saying? He HAS lady parts?...a vagina? or boobs...." while Bryan is probably trying not to laugh...

That was loving hilarious. I love when Meltzer just goes on these weird tangents.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I enjoyed how casually he mention that Jack Evans was able to physically best another human being in unarmed combat.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Perigryn posted:

Dave explaining to Bryan that Cena was going to prove he's not a pussy or a vagina was the new summit of peak Dave.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

I enjoyed how casually he mention that Jack Evans was able to physically best another human being in unarmed combat.

He must have spun at him really loving hard. Who says flippy guys are unrealistic?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I was going to say that having Dave's off the cuff story about attacking a water polo player in the water and discovering they had "Like, super strength in there" was a weak #1 for best of 2011, then I realized what I was typing.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Arbite posted:

I was going to say that having Dave's off the cuff story about attacking a water polo player in the water and discovering they had "Like, super strength in there" was a weak #1 for best of 2011, then I realized what I was typing.
I'm not a huge fan of Todd Martin but his extensive analysis of the lawsuit against Homicide was classic.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Borh posted:

He must have spun at him really loving hard. Who says flippy guys are unrealistic?

More like attacked him from behind in the locker room.

So is it funny or sad that Dave is such a 'spergy wrestling fan with no other hobbies? Alvarez is about as bad, but there's an element of tragedy to Dave that's uniquely his.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I'm not a huge fan of Todd Martin but his extensive analysis of the lawsuit against Homicide was classic.

The Assumption of Risk that Archibald Peck undertook in carrying a Flux Capacitor just slayed me.

He could get hit by a car or a meteor with that thing and go back in time to meet George Washington.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

CombineThresher posted:

So is it funny or sad that Dave is such a 'spergy wrestling fan with no other hobbies? Alvarez is about as bad, but there's an element of tragedy to Dave that's uniquely his.

That's actually pretty far off for Bryan, and I personally see Dave differently. Dave is a workaholic who has the kind of personality where he would throw himself into whatever his career is, regardless of what the career may be. But given, his chosen profession is wrestling and MMA and that consumes him to the point he wanted to watch Smackdown in the ICU while he was there with his sick kid. I find it somewhat charming, to be honest - he's pretty much covering the thing he loves the most in life.

Bryan, on the other hand, is as lazy as possible (when it comes to work) and really just wants to do jujitsu nonstop. He doesn't have the optimism for wrestling that Dave has.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Anyone who says Dave has no other hobbies has never heard him talk about Friends.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

jeffersonlives posted:

Anyone who says Dave has no other hobbies has never heard him talk about Friends.

Or 90210.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Or bodybuilding.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Or roller derby!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Or Dallas.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CombineThresher posted:

More like attacked him from behind in the locker room.

The story I heard at the time made it sound like a very fair fight and Juvi just got his rear end kicked by Jack Evans.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRayPer posted:

The story I heard at the time made it sound like a very fair fight and Juvi just got his rear end kicked by Jack Evans.

Really? I'd always understood that Jack blindsided Juvi during an argument with Konnan.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CombineThresher posted:

Really? I'd always understood that Jack blindsided Juvi during an argument with Konnan.

Jack may have thrown the first punch but I vaguely remember the story being that Jack got in between the two knowing Konnan can't fight anyone at this point and them went to town on Juvi. I may be wrong because the main thing I remember from that incident is "Holy poo poo, JACK EVANS beat the poo poo out of a larger man?"

It really goes to show what a dumbass Bryan is about MMA that Todd Martin can make him sound like a complete idiot.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MassRayPer posted:

Jack may have thrown the first punch but I vaguely remember the story being that Jack got in between the two knowing Konnan can't fight anyone at this point and them went to town on Juvi. I may be wrong because the main thing I remember from that incident is "Holy poo poo, JACK EVANS beat the poo poo out of a larger man?"

I've heard both. One side of the story is Jack stepped in-between the two, and Juvi took a swing at him. The other story is Jack jumped him while Juvi wasn't looking.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I've heard both. One side of the story is Jack stepped in-between the two, and Juvi took a swing at him. The other story is Jack jumped him while Juvi wasn't looking.

The latter being Juvi's version of events. I have to think the truth isn't on his side.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Latest Observer has a great look into the mind of Bischoff.

quote:

In a conversation I had with Eric Bischoff before Jericho decided to leave, when bringing up guys who should get a shot at moving up and his name came up, Bischoff was decidedly negative on him, saying that in a real fight that his teenage son (who now wrestles in TNA and was a karate student of Ernest Miller) could take Jericho.
Clearly Garrett never called Jericho's mom a goof.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Wait a second I thought Bischoff claims he has never spoken to Meltzer ever!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

LordPants posted:

Or Dallas.

Dallas Sucks

I hope someone else gets this reference

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

HulkaMatt posted:

Wait a second I thought Bischoff claims he has never spoken to Meltzer ever!
I really enjoyed his book, "Dirtsheets! :argh:"

quote:

- these dirtsheet distributors (I have a hard time referring to them as writers)

- It was certainly confusing for the limited intellectual bandwidth of the dirtsheet community

- Of course, I was criticized [for putting Hogan/Goldberg on TV] in the dirtsheets. But at that point if they criticized me, it usually convinced me that I was doing the right thing.

- the parasitic life forms that call them-selves writers and editors have been able to make a living off dirtsheets.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Latest Observer has a great look into the mind of Bischoff.
Clearly Garrett never called Jericho's mom a goof.

Turns out Vince and Eric had more in common than they could ever know.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

But given, his chosen profession is wrestling and MMA and that consumes him to the point he wanted to watch Smackdown in the ICU while he was there with his sick kid.
I don't understand how everyone got this impression of Dave, people seem to have the impression that he was legitimately annoyed that his son had inconvenienced him in this matter.

I did not get that impression at all, I think he was just making it clear that this was the reason why he wasn't 100% up to date with the service WO members pay for and that circumstances were beyond his control. He thought he may as well try and watch it while he was in the hospital since he's so busy but his son didn't want to watch it so he was a good Dad and let him watch whatever he wanted instead and was just explaining the situation to listeners since it seems some of the subscribers get pretty spurgy about when they get certain things.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 6, 2012

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
"So this guy here wants to know, with you both having to stay up until 4 am covering UFC and such, how do you balance work and family life?"

Meltzer: "I don't."

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
"Gunner Manchild!"

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

triplexpac posted:

"So this guy here wants to know, with you both having to stay up until 4 am covering UFC and such, how do you balance work and family life?"

Meltzer: "I don't."

I was about to write the exact same thing :)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Is he just sticking to his guns, or does he really not realise how much money he effectively burned on that Georgia Dome match?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Gaz-L posted:

Is he just sticking to his guns, or does he really not realise how much money he effectively burned on that Georgia Dome match?

Sticking to his guns.

The thing with the Georgia Dome match was that it was on a Nitro that TNT just opened up several new markets. That Nitro was looked at like a PPV on Monday.

Still, YOU DON'T SUDDENLY GIVE AWAY GOLDBERG VS. loving HOGAN.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

That kind of anger is especially rich coming from Bischoff, who did more to expose the business by running WCW than the sheets ever did.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

CombineThresher posted:

That kind of anger is especially rich coming from Bischoff, who did more to expose the business by running WCW than the sheets ever did.

Eric Bischoff is an idiot and a colossal hypocrite hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Lone Rogue posted:

Sticking to his guns.

The thing with the Georgia Dome match was that it was on a Nitro that TNT just opened up several new markets. That Nitro was looked at like a PPV on Monday.

Still, YOU DON'T SUDDENLY GIVE AWAY GOLDBERG VS. loving HOGAN.
What's great is that Eric could completely wash his hands of that mess and blame it on Hogan's creative control.
The match was Hogan's idea to make himself look like a huge draw in front of Turner execs.
Eric was on board with it, but it's not like he had any leverage to convince Hogan to lose a month later on PPV.

Instead Eric will go to the grave defending a poorly promoted match that sold 2,000 additional tickets and let them beat Raw for 1 week. :wcw:

• Locked thread