Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

If you push it, they will. It's still a contract breach, but the credits will stave off the more casual carrier-jumpers.
Wouldn't a federal surcharge be outside their control and therefore not be a breach of contract? It seems absurd that one could break a contract because the government raised a tax or whatever. (Or, more accurately, it seems absurd that Verizon's lawyers wouldn't have accounted for this in the terms of the contract.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

kitten smoothie posted:

Welp I guess this answers the question of when the double data promo is going away.

Literally a week before I get my phone.

Huff a cock, Verizon.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Wouldn't a federal surcharge be outside their control and therefore not be a breach of contract? It seems absurd that one could break a contract because the government raised a tax or whatever. (Or, more accurately, it seems absurd that Verizon's lawyers wouldn't have accounted for this in the terms of the contract.)

closest thing I see is http://www.consumeraffairs.com/cell_phones/verizon_wireless.html http://consumerist.com/2011/06/canceling-verizon-without-etf-over-fee-increase-is-hard-but-doable.html

not sure how valid or not the site is.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Endless Mike posted:

It isn't a tax on consumers, it specifically is on carriers. They then put it on your bill as a surcharge rather than eat the cost or build it into the cost of your plan. It's functually the same as when a restaurant adds gratuity to your bill. That isn't a tax, it's the restaurant's charge whichvis why they explicitly stated it in a menu.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

BobFromMarketing posted:

I read this yesterday but it's the only instance of it happening that I can find so it's sounding sort of like bullshit. Everywhere else that mentions it happening links the consumerist. If masses of people were getting it reverted back they would be bitching about it somewhere.

If it does happen oh well, I will just put my tiered data plan back where it was. If Verizon really wanted to gently caress with it's customers it would be waiting till near the end of the month to lower them back down from unlimited since the double data plan is still going.

I would give it a few weeks. More to complain and get attention about when bill shock is involved. I highly doubt they would call every single one anyways.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

BobFromMarketing posted:

I read this yesterday but it's the only instance of it happening that I can find so it's sounding sort of like bullshit. Everywhere else that mentions it happening links the consumerist. If masses of people were getting it reverted back they would be bitching about it somewhere.

If it does happen oh well, I will just put my tiered data plan back where it was. If Verizon really wanted to gently caress with it's customers it would be waiting till near the end of the month to lower them back down from unlimited since the double data plan is still going.

In this little comment tree on Reddit there's a guy who said he got a call, and when they called he complained up a storm and got to keep unlimited.
-and-
Here's a dude from Slickdeals saying he got knocked back to 2GB.

Still spotty, I'll agree, but at least here's two additional unverifiable data points instead of just the one from Consumerist.

zaha
May 17, 2004
Svelte Nerd

ghostinmyshell posted:

Anyone return their GNex for another phone or even an iphone and want to share?

As much as I like the speed and screen size of the GNex, there's all these little "things" I keep running into that are making me have commitment issues into swapping phones.

Yeah, I had the GN for about 10 days, and as much as I wanted to like the phone, I had to return it. I've been super happy with the Rezound as a replacement. I posted the below on another forum, it's a long read.

I had been watching the Nexus for some time before it's launch. My Droid X in all honesty was probably fine - it was overclocked, undervolted and running the latest MIUI built on ICS - but I had my mind set on the GN as the next big thing. I was travelling for work on launch day, but was able to swing by a Verizon store and pick one up late in the afternoon.

First impressions after getting a chance to check it out in my hotel room were extremely positive. The 4.65" display is immediately eye-catching. Colors just pop off the screen, and some of the more colorful icons against a black app drawer background were really great looking. This was my first 4g phone, and the speeds were pretty amazing too. Driving back from our meetings, I was playing with the phone (I wasn't the one driving!) and downloading apps off the market. I lost 4g a couple times, but I was in a mid sized city with lots of surrounding rural area. I live in DFW, so I wasn't too worried about the ability to hold a 4g connection there.

Now, I had seen the Rezound prior to the GN coming out. I can remember reading about it before it's release and thinking 'Oh great, another HTC phone that looks like every other HTC phone, but slightly faster'. I wasn't interested at all. But after going to see it in person, I really liked the phone. Comparing it to the then newly released RAZR, it was much nicer to hold. Phone felt solid, not as chunky as I had thought, and overall impressed me. But I was set on the GN!

Preamble out of the way, the GN had some flaws that I soon noticed. Nothing huge at first, but they became more apparent as time went on. Ultimately the reception or signal strength killed it for me, and I made the switch to the Rezound. I'll break it down into a comparison below to give you guys my take:

Form factor and physical
There has been a lot of talk about the GN's cheap build quality. I would disagree. The phone was plastic, yes, and it was really light, but to me it felt solid enough. There is also a lot of talk about the battery door, but again while it is flimsy on it's own, it snaps into the phone well. The door has 10+ points it snaps into, and once it's in it feels like a smooth, seamless part of the back of the phone. Especially with the extended battery. The downside is this is a pretty slick surface to hold a phone. Add in the width of the phone, which was slightly too big for me to hold one handed comfortably, and I was constantly worried I'd drop it.

The Rezound does feel a little more solid. It has a nice heft to it. With the extended battery, it has a significant heft to it. To me, the Rezound is easier to hold with either battery. The buttons are more flush with the phone and mounted in the traditional places, which I think I prefer. You don't accidentally hit them, but they're not hard to hit either. The downside, the big downside, is the creaking! Both my battery doors creak. For all the crap I've seen people give the GN for the battery door, at least it didn't creak every time I hit the left side of my keyboard.

The final decision here really comes up to screen size imo. The physical dimensions look close on paper, but the extra width and height are extremely noticeable when actually using the phone.

Screen
I talked about how the GN has that 'wow' factor. And it does. Some people call it over saturation, but man it looks good. Well, it looks good until you play with a Rezound for 10 minutes. When I was at the VZW store thinking about switching my GN for a Rezound, I was not as impressed by the screen on the Rezound at first. And I think the reason why is Sense or Gingerbread. The UI, wallpapers, notification bar, font, etc. all are much more professional and attractive on the GN. The Rezound looked terrible in stock form IMO. Giant ugly fonts, widgets with cartoonish graphics, nothing took advantage of or looked good on the Rezound screen. But comparing the same websites and applications side by side, and the Rezound quickly became the clear winner. Colors are much more clear and natural looking. On a forum app I use often, I could not tell the difference in alternating dark blues used on alternating posts. On the Rezound it was clear as day. And after getting the Rezound setup by removing Sense and getting Go Launcher, it eliminates a lot of my initial distaste. I have the Rezound as the clear winner here. However, the difference between 4.65" and 4.3" is big. If you don't mind the AMOLED tech, the bigger screen might win you over. I did find it funny though that with the on screen buttons, I could see a good bit more vertically of every web page on the Rezound.

One last thought, I read on my phone a lot. Kindle app using white text on a black background. The blacks of the AMOLED are amazing, but text is not as crisp as on the LCD.

Software
I'll be brief here. ICS has some bugs or kinks to work out. This should be expected with it's first release. It's got a lot of good things going for it too though. If it were an option on the Rezound, I'd take it. Sense it's too invasive for me, and part of me buying the Rezound was due to my research here knowing that I could easily remove Sense (thanks Scott's Roms!). The Rezound does have some nice touches though. I like the lock screen more. The camera software is great and the shutter lag is close to the GN's. Dismissing or going into calendar reminders from the lockscreen is really good too. Overall the GN wins, but the Rezound with a little tweaking beats the GN in some areas while falling short in others. This was closer than I would have first guessed.

Battery
I didn't test either phone extensively with the stock batteries. With my short use on the Rezound's stock battery, I was impressed it was able to seemingly last a good amount of time with only 1650 mah. That battery size is too small for a LTE phone IMO, and with the physical size of the battery I think HTC could have given us something better.

The GN with the 2100 mah extended battery lasts all day. At 24 hours off the charger, I would typically be between 10 and 20% battery life left. Not too bad for an LTE phone, but I think software hurts it here. Looking at my battery usage graph, there is a lot of 'awake' time where my screen is off. This seems to be somewhat common with the GN, so there may be some process keeping the phone awake. Lots of people suggests disabling some sound options (sound on keypress and something else I think), which I did, but did not notice an impact.

The Rezound, with the 2750 mah extended battery kicks the crap out of the GN. Not really apples to apples due to the larger size, but I unplugged 31 hours ago and have 58% battery left. The awake time and screen time match up almost perfectly, which is also probably giving the Rezound a healthy edge here.

Camera
I'm not much of a camera person, just not that good at it and I don't know how to adjust ISO and other camera settings to make the shot better. With everything set to auto, the Rezound takes better looking pictures, at least in the situations I was snapping photos in. Pretty much 100% in doors. With a pro behind the lense, I'm not sure how that would change.

Reception
This is the big one for me, the one that made me spending several days reading about these phones and ultimately trading the GN in. Once I got the GN home to DFW, I was a little surprised at the reception. Just going by the bars at first, it seemed low at my house and 'okay' at work. While at my house, I booted up my Droid X and did some side by side testing. The DX was hitting -88 to -93 on average, while the GN was above -100 everywhere, at times hitting -113!

Now, after some reading online, I discovered that the GN was giving me the LTE signal, while the DX was giving me the CDMA signal. But by setting the GN to CDMA only, it would report the CDMA signal to me, giving me a better comparison. After doing this, the GN range dropped down to -93 to -103. Not great at all, but enough to hold a signal in 3g. The problem though was how slow the phone switched radios. Going from 4g to 3g would take up to a minute. Further testing lead to some cases of dropping a 3g signal, altough surprisingly it did hold onto the 4g signal despite the worse signal strength. I ran the SpeedTest app multiple times every night for 10 day, and the highest speed I saw was 8,200 kbps down, 4,400 up.

An even bigger shocker though was the wifi performance. I have a weight bench in my garage, and like to listen to Pandora on my phone while working out. The GN had zero bars of wifi (but would stay connected...mostly) and would take 10 seconds between tracks to buffer. My DX had 3 bars of wifi (I know, bars are not apples to apples and sucks as a measurement) and would play Pandora seamlessly. My house is small, the router is pretty high end and not that far away. Bad 3g, bad 4g and bad wifi had me feeling pretty bummed about the phone. To be fair, I never had a great signal on the DX at my house either, but as the above numbers show, it was better than the GN.

To sum up the GN, I travelled for Christmas and visited some areas with marginal service and some areas that should have had good service, according the VZW's coverage map. I had my brother's cheap-o Samsung Android Sprint phone to test side by side. The GN lost or tied every time. The kicker was when we were in downtown Bryan, TX, which is right next door to College Station and should have had great coverage. I had no signal at all the entire time we were in Bryan. This was not during VZW's 4g outage. My brother had a signal in the -80's on his Samsung.

That was what sent me to the VZW store Christmas eve to check out the Rezound. They had it right next to a display GN. I tested all three phones in terms of signal. They would fluctuat slightly, but the high/low for both my GN and the display model were the same. -78 to -83. The Rezound was -66 to -72. Both GNs were set to CDMA only. At this point I'm thinking 'Okay, the Rezound is better. It's only 10 or 12 db, but that would put me in a much better spot with the numbers I was getting at my house.' Then I decided to run the SpeedTest app. I used both display models for this, and made sure they were hitting the same server. The results were consistent between runs. The Rezound hit 24,000 down and 11,000 up. The GN hit 14,000 down and 6,000 up. I repeated this again and again. Obviously both phones were switched to 4g for this test. I then repeated the GN results with my phone, and walked over to the VZW rep and said 'Hi I'd like to return my GN for a Rezound please'.

I haven't done extensive testing on the Rezound since being back home (unpacking, catching up with friends... you understand). But I ran SpeedTest right when I got home. 30,600 down and 9,900 up. After that I just smiled and felt fine about doing more testing later. What I can't make out though, is why so many online reviews and articles seem to thing there isn't a problem with the GN. Maybe it's a problem with only some GNs? Anandtech articles I respect very highly. They know their stuff, and always have a great technical analysis. Their article on GN signal issues just confused me, because it seemed to say there was no problem. I don't know, I did a lot of testing with the GN. I wanted to keep it! I won't bore you with all the details, but I lost signal five miles from DFW airport in a busy shopping center. I did many, many side by side SpeedTest runs with my buddy and his Bionic. I feel like I gave the GN every chance to perform. I will say that at work my GN was -93 to -100 on 4g signal, and at times I'd hit 24,00 down, which was very close to what the Bionic was pulling.

My take-away was that with a great signal, the GN will perform. With a poor signal, the GN does a good job of holding on to that signal. But the GN radio just can't get a signal as well as some other phones, and the Rezound gets a great signal in comparison.

Miscellaneous
The GN is quick. Transitions are seamless, apps open fast and market downloads install in no time. The Rezound is also quick. As quick? Not really. There's still some slight hesitation here or there. I'd say it's more software than hardware. If you put any stock into benchmarks, the GN did 5,850 in Antutu and the Rezound did 5,640.

The Rezound is chunky with the extended battery. But I like it better than the GN in terms of feel in the hand.

Um...if you made it this far, anything else you want to know?

Cliff Notes:GN and Rezound are both good devices. The GN had signal issues that prevented it from being something I'd want to own and use. The Rezound is better than it looks on paper and as a whole package works really well.

tofes posted:

The Rezound has a nice screen, a loud speaker, and a good camera. The downside is it's kind of thick and you have to put up with Sense :barf:

What really made me seriously look at the Rezound was the ability to permanently remove Sense. I'm not a fan of it either. Someone came up with a nice script that disables Sense and freezes all Bloatware. And since then there's been a fairly painless permanent root solution, so I'm happy with the future prospects.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WeaselWeaz posted:

It isn't a tax on consumers, it specifically is on carriers. They then put it on your bill as a surcharge rather than eat the cost or build it into the cost of your plan. It's functually the same as when a restaurant adds gratuity to your bill. That isn't a tax, it's the restaurant's charge whichvis why they explicitly stated it in a menu.

Yeah, got it. That's certainly a bit different. Still, for $0.20 a month, I have little surprise Verizon would rather offer you a credit for the remainder.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

zaha posted:

What really made me seriously look at the Rezound was the ability to permanently remove Sense. I'm not a fan of it either. Someone came up with a nice script that disables Sense and freezes all Bloatware. And since then there's been a fairly painless permanent root solution, so I'm happy with the future prospects.

Like I said, the Rezound is a nice phone but HTC's interface and the fact it's so darn big have me contemplating an iPhone instead. It's nice that HTC allows you to unlock the bootloader now but the fact that it voids your warranty and you can't relock it is stupid. If there's a hardware failure that's not caused by rooting why shouldn't they have to cover it? Ridiculous.

4G reception around here isn't very good (despite what Verizon's coverage map indicates) so my Rezound switches between the 3G and 4G radios a lot and sometimes it just loses all data connectivity. According to the Verizon sales rep I talked to in the store, the hand off from 3G to 4G works fine but going from 4G to 3G will sometimes hang up both radios, he advised me to just turn off the LTE radio completely.

It's been my experience so far that Verizon has marketed 4G to consumers too early, the reliability has been bad (it was down when I tried to activate my phone), the coverage sucks, and it drains your battery.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

zaha posted:

Really good Rezound write up!!

Thanks for the write up!! It seems that the Rezound got lost in the hype surrounding the ultra thin Razr and the GNex, good to read some impressions.

My initial impressions of the screen on the Rezound were pretty meh as yours seemed to be. Interesting that some different color schemes/icons showed it off better. I might need to go into the Verizon store and throw Go on their display model for kicks to see what it looks like.

I played with the Rezound and I just couldn't deal with Sense given a stock option despite liking most other aspects of the phone. I think if the Galaxy Nexus had not been an option I probably would have gone with the Rezound over the Razr. My Droid X2 left a nasty nasty taste in my mouth and I have been wanting to try out Sense.

Again, thanks for the write up!!

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Call me crazy, but I Actually like Sense.

The clock/weather widget is awesome. The multi-function lock screen is cool. I like the "people" module over the stock contacts app. I really don't understand the hate it gets.

I am switch back from the galaxy to the Rezound, now that's its rooted and I can kill the bloatware and the novelty of Google Wallet is over (and there are only like 2 places I can use it around here) I just like it better. The screen is better overall, and I don't fell like I will drop it once and break it in half.

Also, I find a lot of the games I D/led from the Amazon store when they were free, (Plants Vs. Zombies for example) run like absolute poo poo on the Gnex. I don't know if its an ICS thing or not, because they run great on my Xyboard and the Rezound.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Endless Mike posted:

I didn't read up on it, but if this case is a new federal surcharge, then they might be able to get around it. As mentioned before me, though, if the charge is only for the carrier and they're passing it on, then it might still qualify.

Edit: Also, the amount of churn that actually occurs from changes in charges is minimal, and generally only consists of career carrier-jumpers and customers that are already dissatisfied with the service.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Is it possible to add data to one line within a family plan? I'm on a voice+text plan right now and want to get a smartphone sometime in the next few months but would prefer not to get another number.

Ernie Luckman
May 2, 2007

Same as it ever was.
Anyone have experience for using amazon wireless to get an upgrade for their existing account? I'm about to order a Razr and it's $40 cheaper on Amazon than the VZW online store. I've ordered phones from the Verizon site so i know how that goes, is Amazon just as easy?

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mighty Horse posted:

my Xyboard

Perfect timing! My dad is looking at getting a tablet with a data plan since he doesn't have a smartphone and a bigger screen will be better for his poor eyesight. How do you like the Xyboard? What's battery like with and without LTE? He'll be taking it out to job sites with him, so build quality is also important. He is probably tied to Verizon given the discounts he gets there. Development community is unimportant since I live too far away to troubleshoot.

Non-Xyboard specific, does anyone know if employer discounts can be applied to non-contract data plans? He would get a discount on a smartphone data plan, if that helps. Finally, any other decent options for tablets with a data plan on Verizon? Maybe a cheap used 3g Xoom and prepaid data would work, but I haven't looked at prices yet.

Edit: Oh, I didn't realize you could get a 3g iPad on Verizon. Huh, I don't think I'll be recommending a Xyboard then. Probably iPad as most expensive, Galaxy Tab 10.1 as a little less expensive, and Xoom as least expensive. Also, just checked eBay and there are zero used Xyboards for sale.

Ciabatta fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 5, 2012

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Mighty Horse posted:

The clock/weather widget is awesome. The multi-function lock screen is cool. I like the "people" module over the stock contacts app. I really don't understand the hate it gets.

I am switch back from the galaxy to the Rezound, now that's its rooted and I can kill the bloatware and the novelty of Google Wallet is over (and there are only like 2 places I can use it around here) I just like it better. The screen is better overall, and I don't fell like I will drop it once and break it in half.

Also, I find a lot of the games I D/led from the Amazon store when they were free, (Plants Vs. Zombies for example) run like absolute poo poo on the Gnex. I don't know if its an ICS thing or not, because they run great on my Xyboard and the Rezound.

The thing that always got me with Sense was the stupid unchangeable dock with three buttons, and one of them was for personalizing of the homepage, as though I needed to have quick access to changing the 'Scene' or my theme. And then the color schemes were always half-assed and inconsistent. And lastly, the custom twitter, facebook, and contact widgets were all but useless and ran amok on cpu usage.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Ernie Luckman posted:

Anyone have experience for using amazon wireless to get an upgrade for their existing account? I'm about to order a Razr and it's $40 cheaper on Amazon than the VZW online store. I've ordered phones from the Verizon site so i know how that goes, is Amazon just as easy?

Yes, but be aware you may have an additional ETF if you do not maintain a specific level of service for x time period.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

Is it possible to add data to one line within a family plan? I'm on a voice+text plan right now and want to get a smartphone sometime in the next few months but would prefer not to get another number.

Yep, no problem. You just buy a smartphone on that line and add the data plan. It's the same as if you changed your texting plan on that line.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Penguissimo posted:

Yep, no problem. You just buy a smartphone on that line and add the data plan. It's the same as if you changed your texting plan on that line.

So data will just be appled to one number within the whole account, rather than the whole account? I'm assuming the same minutes and text plans will be kept.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Ciabatta posted:

Perfect timing! My dad is looking at getting a tablet with a data plan since he doesn't have a smartphone and a bigger screen will be better for his poor eyesight. How do you like the Xyboard?

Edit: Oh, I didn't realize you could get a 3g iPad on Verizon. Huh, I don't think I'll be recommending a Xyboard then. Probably iPad as most expensive, Galaxy Tab 10.1 as a little less expensive, and Xoom as least expensive. Also, just checked eBay and there are zero used Xyboards for sale.

Yeah, don't buy an Android tablet that doesn't come with ICS, and just buy an iPad, its the most compatible and basically the standard.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Mighty Horse posted:

I think Sense looks awful, is a huge resource hog, and, as someone else stated, the dock is terrible. Pretty much the only thing I like about Sense is the dialer.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mark Larson posted:

don't buy an Android tablet that doesn't come with ICS

Hah, so don't buy any Android tablet, period!

Price is a factor, so he might not be willing to pay enough to get an iPad. He originally asked about the Galaxy Tab 7 since it was cheapest... that got a "no, just no" from me (with a little bit of explanation too). He is going to use it for email and very occasional web I think, which will be fine on a Honeycomb tablet despite how omg crazy hard Android is. Push the little globe, internet! Push the little envelope, email! I'll have to see what Verizon Xooms and Galaxy Tab 10.1s actually go for, though. I'm going to do my best to get him to do month to month data rather than a contract, but I'm still not clear on what if any price difference there'll be for the data.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Ciabatta posted:

Hah, so don't buy any Android tablet, period!

I just don't like rewarding lazy companies, that's just me. And I believe that the Xyboard should have come out with ICS.

Not to mention, I buy the better product, which the iPad is right now at least until reviews of ICS tablets come out. But hey, whatever works for your particular situation, y'know? I have an Android phone and an Apple tablet, both work for me.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Ciabatta posted:

Perfect timing! My dad is looking at getting a tablet with a data plan since he doesn't have a smartphone and a bigger screen will be better for his poor eyesight. How do you like the Xyboard? What's battery like with and without LTE? He'll be taking it out to job sites with him, so build quality is also important. He is probably tied to Verizon given the discounts he gets there. Development community is unimportant since I live too far away to troubleshoot.

Non-Xyboard specific, does anyone know if employer discounts can be applied to non-contract data plans? He would get a discount on a smartphone data plan, if that helps. Finally, any other decent options for tablets with a data plan on Verizon? Maybe a cheap used 3g Xoom and prepaid data would work, but I haven't looked at prices yet.

I've had the Xoom 4G, GTab (10.1) and Now the Xyboard. I can say for sure the build quality on the Xyboard its really, really good. I'd feel confident knocking it around a lot. Battery life is a little shorter than the Xoom, but a good 5-6 hours of screen time. BIG BIG pro is it's the only tablet with Micro USB Charging. It wont charge full speed unless you have a 8W+ Micro USB charger (most aren't) but at least you can slow charge it nearly on any micro USB. The built in IR blaster is really cool with the Dijit App. Stylus is kinda pointless IMHO..

Between the Xoom and the GTab, I liked the GTab for its thin size and light weight, but I had to replace it 3 times of the "Oil Slick" screen issue.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm just glad he didn't impulse buy the Galaxy Tab 7 on contract. It looks like on eBay a used Xoom will be $350-400, a Galaxy Tab 10.1 $400-450, and an iPad 2 $500-550. I doubt the iPad is going to be worth the extra $150-200 to him, but I'll see.

Do I need to worry about black listed devices, like people selling phones with bad ESN's, or having devices locked into a plan even when bought used? I've never considered getting a tablet with a data plan so I have no idea what to worry about.

Edit: Thanks for the comments MightyHorse. Do you have the 8 or 10 inch Xyboard? The 8 seems a little better for improved portability and comfort during extended use, but battery might be worse on it, right? Otherwise I think I remember reading they're almost identical.

Ciabatta fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 5, 2012

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

So data will just be appled to one number within the whole account, rather than the whole account? I'm assuming the same minutes and text plans will be kept.

Right. It's a line feature, not a plan feature. My family's plan has seen three of five people add data over the past couple of years with no issue. There has been talk of Verizon maybe-someday-eventually introducing family data plans, but even if/when that happens it would be hard to imagine you wouldn't also have access to the current options.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Lblitzer posted:

Verizon forces smartphones to have Data Plans in the first place. It will be added just to your line.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

ProjektorBoy posted:

Verizon forces smartphones to have Data Plans in the first place. It will be added just to your line.

Well reason asking is that currently I have a dumbphone, and was looking at getting maybe a used iPhone pretty soon without having to jump into a new plan or anything.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

Well reason asking is that currently I have a dumbphone, and was looking at getting maybe a used iPhone pretty soon without having to jump into a new plan or anything.

They'll activate the data plan automatically when you activate a smartphone of any kind. There's no way around it except by not activating a smartphone. On the other hand, the only change that will be made will be the addition of a data plan.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Ciabatta posted:

I'm just glad he didn't impulse buy the Galaxy Tab 7 on contract. It looks like on eBay a used Xoom will be $350-400, a Galaxy Tab 10.1 $400-450, and an iPad 2 $500-550. I doubt the iPad is going to be worth the extra $150-200 to him, but I'll see.

Do I need to worry about black listed devices, like people selling phones with bad ESN's, or having devices locked into a plan even when bought used? I've never considered getting a tablet with a data plan so I have no idea what to worry about.

Edit: Thanks for the comments MightyHorse. Do you have the 8 or 10 inch Xyboard? The 8 seems a little better for improved portability and comfort during extended use, but battery might be worse on it, right? Otherwise I think I remember reading they're almost identical.

I'm using the 10. We havent sold many 8s yet so I havent had any customer feedback.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Looks like I'll be buying a Galaxy Nexus tomorrow, my Razr's screen broke.

To be clear, the glass didn't break, the screen under it did. I didn't drop it. It sustained no impact. I pulled it out of my pocket having just looked at it a few minutes before and the screen was cracked from the microSD/SIM door. It seems like that's a weak point on the phone.

I'm going to hound Motorola about it. This was in no way, shape, or form accident damage. Nothing happened that should have caused the screen to crack.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

To be clear, the glass didn't break, the screen under it did. I didn't drop it. It sustained no impact. I pulled it out of my pocket having just looked at it a few minutes before and the screen was cracked from the microSD/SIM door. It seems like that's a weak point on the phone.

I'm going to hound Motorola about it. This was in no way, shape, or form accident damage. Nothing happened that should have caused the screen to crack.

Do you guys remember the LG Shine? Before I was actually into phones I had one, it was awful by the way my hands were far to massive for the tiny T9 keyboard. That isn't the point though, I had something similar happen, the screen just kind of broke. I think in that case the glass cracked but it was really weird and mysterious.

Sorry that happened Bull, I think you should definitely hound Motorola some though I'm sure they'll just tell you that you dropped it and that your screwed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My only saving grace is that there are no external marks on the phone and that the GLASS isn't cracked, it's the OLED substrate under it. It's without a doubt a flex issue.

I found someone else online that claimed their broke when they inserted the SIM card. That's exactly where my damage originated from.

The sad part is, no case would have guarded from this. It didn't sustain an impact. I just think it's too thin for its own drat good.

At least for me, this isn't a huge emergency right now. I'm not even going to bother activating my OG droid. I use a cordless phone system with bluetooth at home and the bluetooth automatically connects. So, I can actually make and receive calls right now through that. All my SMS gets backed up to gmail with SMS Backup+ so I won't miss anything there either.

The biggest thing that's concerning me right now is how do I factory reset of the phone without the touch screen.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

My only saving grace is that there are no external marks on the phone and that the GLASS isn't cracked, it's the OLED substrate under it. It's without a doubt a flex issue.

I found someone else online that claimed their broke when they inserted the SIM card. That's exactly where my damage originated from.

The sad part is, no case would have guarded from this. It didn't sustain an impact. I just think it's too thin for its own drat good.

So call up Motorola and bitch them out.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Ah, that's an excellent point. That is pretty crazy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like I should be able to wipe the phone with RSDLite. That's a relief. I'm glad I downloaded the fastboot image files the other day.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bull3964 posted:

Is the plan to get a replacement Razr from Motorola and sell it to offset a retail price Nexus? Sucks that it happened, but maybe the replacement will be packaged nicely and you can sell it as new?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ciabatta posted:

Is the plan to get a replacement Razr from Motorola and sell it to offset a retail price Nexus? Sucks that it happened, but maybe the replacement will be packaged nicely and you can sell it as new?

I'll just have to see where things end up. I'm going to try as hard as I can to have Motorola do right by me in some way shape or form, but I need to consider the worse case situation of needing to pay to get the screen replaced and finding out how much that is.

The window is short as far as depreciation goes and if I'm only going to break even getting the screen repaired to turn around and sell it, I may not send it in to get it repaired. Longer term in that situation I may pickup an assembly and try to do it myself, right now it looks like they go for around $180.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

bull3964 posted:

Well be excited I dropped the hell out of my gnexus and got an awesome bite mark in the corner of my phone. Screen is pristine and no problems outside a marred case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
Sometime yesterday my phone stopped syncing my gmail accounts unless I manually refreshed them. I haven't been able to find out if this is a global gmail issue or something related to my phone. The last time this happened(after a gmail app update) I had to do a factory reset, and I'd rather not do that unless I have to. Running a Droid 2 (unrooted). Any ideas?

• Locked thread