Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

SporkTSI posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, the Xbox TF2 community at its finest.

Hahah I thought I was the only one who played TF2 on the Xbox. Playing the game at all is griefing I'm pretty sure.

The only time someone got mad at me was I killed this guy six or seven times as a hit-and-run pyro and I got "gently caress you and your fuckin pyroooooooooo" in a voice message.

There's another glitch where the RED team can build on top of a barn that's technically out of bounds on 2Fort. That one pisses a lot of people off.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jan 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

Ok so camping is griefing and capping the flag is griefing and using a pistol is griefing I guess. Awesome.

If it causes grief, then yes.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

In the original Modern Warfare, Last Stand and Martyrdom were considered griefing. Last Stand was somewhat justifiable in the claim, because when you were transitioning into the prone "last stand" animation, you were completely invincible. People would tend to just dump the clip, so they'd empty their gun into you while you were invulnerable and then you'd shoot them in the face with your pistol. I used Last Stand all the time, because I don't mind being called a no skill noob if I'm winning. :toot:

Martyrdom was more because retards would stop by your corpse after killing you instead of just contuining to move. The live grenade it drops would then kill them. If you keep moving, even at a leisurely pace rather than a dead sprint, you'll be well out of the blast radius before you even know the grenade is there.

I think both perks were removed or heavily modified in the later games, but I've never been willing to shell out the money for them to find out.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Zaodai posted:

I think both perks were removed or heavily modified in the later games, but I've never been willing to shell out the money for them to find out.

Both are back in MW3 but they're "deathstreaks" now rather than perks. That is, if you die five times in a row you get it once.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Last Stand + the scroll wheel trick + setting a thumb button to "scroll wheel down" was pretty hilarious.

Combining the Extreme Conditioning perk and the bugged p90 (free extreme conditioning) along with the 3x special grenades really pissed people off. Everybody hates flashbangs and even more so when the guy using them can sprint 4x longer than you can.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Miijhal posted:

Speaking of games where simply playing is an act of griefing, Gunz Online was... special. Basically, it was an free to play online 3D fighting game where you'd be pitted against a handful of other players trying to get the highest score by the end of the match. Most of the weapons in the game were guns, but there were also swords too, and there was a glitch that basically allowed sword users to cancel their animations before they finished and thus spasm around the map at absurd speeds and pretty much maim anything that got in their way. Of course, since this was a free to play game, the devs didn't give a poo poo and never fixed it, eventually calling it a feature.

The end result is that the community built itself around the glitch abusers. If you entered a match and had the loving audacity to not do animation cancels with a melee weapon, you'd inevitably be kicked from the match for being a 'n00b'. God forbid you used a loving gun, since that would send everyone into fits of yelling 'SPRAYER N00B!' before they kicked you from the match. Also, if you were winning, you would probably get kicked, as well. Also if you were losing.

In fact, just playing would piss everyone off because you weren't them and thus merely interacting with the game was an offense to their sensibilities.

I named a guy "Cinderella" and played using the "throw guy in the air with sword and shoot him 'till he dies" move 24\7. I got so much hate :allears:

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

Mans posted:

I named a guy "Cinderella" and played using the "throw guy in the air with sword and shoot him 'till he dies" move 24\7. I got so much hate :allears:

I did the knife lunge thing on maps with bottomless pits. The sword people would use it to scale walls super fast and if you caught them with the tail end of the lunge it'd knock them off into the pit and it would cause endless amounts of rage, especially if you flung yourself off and fell into the pit with them. Bonus points if you rolled a new character and went into the free channel and knock the super high level sperges into the pits since their cash items wouldnt help them out at all.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

I wholly endorse tagging the snipers with tracer darts or smoke grenades, but the kills at the computer really piss me off. I use that little helicopter to flank vehicles, snipers, and campers when my squad is trying to set up a bomb in Rush, and I've gotten team killed more than once by some dickhead because he wanted to use it.

NiffStipples
Jun 3, 2011
I'm only up to page 60 on this thread but I thought I would add my story.

Many years ago, there was a buggy Half-Life mod called Zombie Panic. The round starts off with one player as a zombie and the rest as survivors. When a survivor dies, that player turns into a zombie with limited movement abilities. The game has no timer and the survivors could camp a room with shotguns for as long as they needed. This is where my friend and I came in.

There was a map that had a very high wall roughly the height of 3 standing people or 6 crouched people. A two person totem pole wouldn't work for only my friend and I however, there was a rooftop to another building next to this wall that we found to be a better option.

One afternoon, while there was no admin on the server, we coordinated a mad dash for this rooftop next to this wall. Our first step was to immediately drop all our weapons to make ourselves run faster and jump higher. We make it to the wall without being detected by the first zombie and I tell my friend to stand on the very edge of the rooftop adjacent to the wall and crouch. I jump on his head and do a run-jump, taking advantage of the extra foot of distance his body gave me from standing on the edge. I land the jump and everyone goes about their business.

Now, at this point, the only way for anyone to really care about my amazing position is to have all the survivors die and turn to zombies. My friend goes around the map giving away positions, absorbing damage from the survivors bullets and opening up doors. Eventually everyone is a zombie including my friend.

Eventually, the zombie players find me jumping like an imbecile on top of this ridiculously high wall. I type "check mate" in all chat and my friend and I decide to go get dinner.

While we were eating, we speculated that these players had already wised up and either left the server or managed to successfully coordinate a human totem pole to reach me. We begin to talk about cool movie ideas and forget about the game.

We arrived back from TGIF a couple hours later and hop on our computers to a grad spectacle. The server is full, has all the same players and it's on the same round! I open my console and apparently they have already gone through their cussing and begging phase with me and were starting to cuss at each other for not being able make a human totem pole. I spin my character around to get their attention and all eyes are on me. I type "hey guys. back from dinner. what did I miss?". I must have seriously stressed these people out with my afk'ness because some people were angry, some were crying and some even laughed.

I finally jump down 10 minutes later after making each one of them individually ask me to politely to come down off the wall.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Griefing Killing Floor is pretty fun now and again. Especially during or immediately after it is on sale and most of the servers are full of new players straight from COD. The preferred method of my friend and I was to simply stand at the entrance of the trader at the end of the round, preventing anyone from getting in and replenishing ammo or buying new weapons. With two people you can block every trader entrance. It was especially fun on the map West London because there was a bug where you could access one of the trader locations through a locked door, so one of us could restock on ammo while the other blocked the open trader.

Using grenades to blow up welded doors is fun too, particularly if there is a fleshpound on the other side since it not only lets him in but enrages him.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

No Safe Word posted:

First google result for "emron poop bind"

http://www.nzfortress.co.nz/forum/archive/index.php/t-24562.html

"WHOA YOU JUST GOT POOPED ON *trundles off to noob ranch*" gets me every time. Trundle is the best word.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

NiffStipples posted:

I'm only up to page 60 on this thread but I thought I would add my story.

Many years ago, there was a buggy Half-Life mod called Zombie Panic. The round starts off with one player as a zombie and the rest as survivors. When a survivor dies, that player turns into a zombie with limited movement abilities. The game has no timer and the survivors could camp a room with shotguns for as long as they needed. This is where my friend and I came in.

There was a map that had a very high wall roughly the height of 3 standing people or 6 crouched people. A two person totem pole wouldn't work for only my friend and I however, there was a rooftop to another building next to this wall that we found to be a better option.

One afternoon, while there was no admin on the server, we coordinated a mad dash for this rooftop next to this wall. Our first step was to immediately drop all our weapons to make ourselves run faster and jump higher. We make it to the wall without being detected by the first zombie and I tell my friend to stand on the very edge of the rooftop adjacent to the wall and crouch. I jump on his head and do a run-jump, taking advantage of the extra foot of distance his body gave me from standing on the edge. I land the jump and everyone goes about their business.

Now, at this point, the only way for anyone to really care about my amazing position is to have all the survivors die and turn to zombies. My friend goes around the map giving away positions, absorbing damage from the survivors bullets and opening up doors. Eventually everyone is a zombie including my friend.

Eventually, the zombie players find me jumping like an imbecile on top of this ridiculously high wall. I type "check mate" in all chat and my friend and I decide to go get dinner.

While we were eating, we speculated that these players had already wised up and either left the server or managed to successfully coordinate a human totem pole to reach me. We begin to talk about cool movie ideas and forget about the game.

We arrived back from TGIF a couple hours later and hop on our computers to a grad spectacle. The server is full, has all the same players and it's on the same round! I open my console and apparently they have already gone through their cussing and begging phase with me and were starting to cuss at each other for not being able make a human totem pole. I spin my character around to get their attention and all eyes are on me. I type "hey guys. back from dinner. what did I miss?". I must have seriously stressed these people out with my afk'ness because some people were angry, some were crying and some even laughed.

I finally jump down 10 minutes later after making each one of them individually ask me to politely to come down off the wall.

Was this the only Zombie Panic server in the world, or did these people really have nothing better to...

Oh, right.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

Ok so camping is griefing and capping the flag is griefing and using a pistol is griefing I guess. Awesome.

Well, if this is true, it reminds me of when I play Arena in TF2.

Arena usually isn't popular, but it's the preferred gamemode of a mod I like to play called "Randomizer", which chooses your class and weapon-loadout for you every round, making skill pretty meaningless when you wind up with weapons that are largely useless while the other team has sniper-rifles and rocket-launchers out the wazoo, or vice-versa. It's just a good way to blow off some steam and remind yourself what some of the more obscure guns can do.

Anyway, in Arena mode, every player on both teams only gets one life. If they get killed by someone, they have to sit the rest of the round out and just watch as their team fights with one less guy. Matches usually end when everyone on one team dies, but there's also one capture point in the middle of the map that activates after a short time period that you can capture to win the match, to prevent stalemates and provide a focal point for the action. For some retarded reason, capturing the point is heavily frowned upon in most arena matches. Thus, one team could be winning handily with only one or two guys on the other team hiding in some hole in some tiny part of the map behind a sentry gun, and the winning team will gladly walk into the line of fire to try and take it and him out.

I, of course, know when doing something like this is incredibly stupid. One round, I watch the scoreboard go from "10-1" to "5-1" to "2-1", just go "gently caress this," and run to the middle of the map to stand on the capture point. Immediately, both the guy on the other team and everyone forced to spectate light up the chat with "NO CAPTURING!" and "OMG NOOB IS CAPPING! STOP CAPPING!" Soon, my brilliant strategy of standing in one place while a bar at the bottom of my screen fills up pays off, and my team wins. Everyone wonders why I did that, and I respond with "Well, I wanted my team to win, so I did what I could to make that happen."

The regulars on the server were to quick to inform me that if a mod was there, I would have been banned. This has yet to happen.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Silentman0 posted:

Well, if this is true, it reminds me of when I play Arena in TF2.

Arena usually isn't popular, but it's the preferred gamemode of a mod I like to play called "Randomizer", which chooses your class and weapon-loadout for you every round, making skill pretty meaningless when you wind up with weapons that are largely useless while the other team has sniper-rifles and rocket-launchers out the wazoo, or vice-versa. It's just a good way to blow off some steam and remind yourself what some of the more obscure guns can do.

Anyway, in Arena mode, every player on both teams only gets one life. If they get killed by someone, they have to sit the rest of the round out and just watch as their team fights with one less guy. Matches usually end when everyone on one team dies, but there's also one capture point in the middle of the map that activates after a short time period that you can capture to win the match, to prevent stalemates and provide a focal point for the action. For some retarded reason, capturing the point is heavily frowned upon in most arena matches. Thus, one team could be winning handily with only one or two guys on the other team hiding in some hole in some tiny part of the map behind a sentry gun, and the winning team will gladly walk into the line of fire to try and take it and him out.

I, of course, know when doing something like this is incredibly stupid. One round, I watch the scoreboard go from "10-1" to "5-1" to "2-1", just go "gently caress this," and run to the middle of the map to stand on the capture point. Immediately, both the guy on the other team and everyone forced to spectate light up the chat with "NO CAPTURING!" and "OMG NOOB IS CAPPING! STOP CAPPING!" Soon, my brilliant strategy of standing in one place while a bar at the bottom of my screen fills up pays off, and my team wins. Everyone wonders why I did that, and I respond with "Well, I wanted my team to win, so I did what I could to make that happen."

The regulars on the server were to quick to inform me that if a mod was there, I would have been banned. This has yet to happen.

Haha wow.

You have been banned!
Reason: Playing the game mode as it was designed.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Silentman0 posted:

*playing TF2 as the devs intended, resulting in much grief*
I've never understood that no-capping thing. Why wouldn't you want to prevent camping and stagnation of the game? Wouldn't you just want a winner to be declared, I mean after all there's always a new round that follows the last? I always do just what you did. Just cap the drat point, the sentrycamp makes for awful gameplay. Unless they camp the point.

Also, Saxton Hale community is the most obnoxious TF2 community there is. It's usually made of the same people who enjoy prophunt (Virtual hide & seek for lonely, nerdy kids who never had the chance to play it in real life! It's just as boring and horrible as it sounds.), and capturing the point is always not allowed, and results in hilarious rage if you do it.

Keisari fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 6, 2012

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Keisari posted:

I've never understood that no-capping thing. Why wouldn't you want to prevent camping and stagnation of the game? Wouldn't you just want a winner to be declared, I mean after all there's always a new round that follows the last? I always do just what you did. Just cap the drat point, the sentrycamp makes for awful gameplay. Unless they camp the point.

Also, Saxton Hale community is the most obnoxious TF2 community there is. It's usually made of the same people who enjoy prophunt (Virtual hide & seek for lonely, nerdy kids who never had the chance to play it in real life! It's just as boring and horrible as it sounds.), and capturing the point is always not allowed, and results in hilarious rage if you do it.

Prophunt can be pretty fun. :colbert:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

MisterOblivious posted:

Last Stand + the scroll wheel trick + setting a thumb button to "scroll wheel down" was pretty hilarious.
What's the trick? I had wheel down to prone and wheel up to knife and wish all games would let me do that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

What's the trick? I had wheel down to prone and wheel up to knife and wish all games would let me do that.

My guess is binding mouse wheel up/down to firing. That way when you go into Last Stand, you can mag dump into someone before they can finish you off.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My guess is binding mouse wheel up/down to firing. That way when you go into Last Stand, you can mag dump into someone before they can finish you off.

Pretty much. Mouse scrolling is really fast compared to just clicking. I remember getting banned from a world at war server for "mouse scrolling" because I killed the admin with a pistol too fast for his liking.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Roobanguy posted:

Pretty much. Mouse scrolling is really fast compared to just clicking. I remember getting banned from a world at war server for "mouse scrolling" because I killed the admin with a pistol too fast for his liking.

I play a ton of COD4 and I am still getting banned from servers for that to this day. Every goon who loves tears and is good at fps should try COD4 by the way, people take that game super seriously.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Wowbagger2004 posted:

Prophunt can be pretty fun. :colbert:

I admit round-end prophunt is a fun gimmick. It doesn't involve waiting and tedium, but manages to capture the good parts of prop-hunt. (Laughing at somebody who doesn't realize the barrel in that corner was infact you.)

In how many games does that mouse scroll thing work? I have to give that a shot next time.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Keisari posted:

I admit round-end prophunt is a fun gimmick. It doesn't involve waiting and tedium, but manages to capture the good parts of prop-hunt. (Laughing at somebody who doesn't realize the barrel in that corner was infact you.)

In how many games does that mouse scroll thing work? I have to give that a shot next time.

It will work in most games that let you rebind keys. I think the newer COD games have a shot limit though, where if you shoot to fast you'll just stop shooting for a second.

Like milktank said, just killing people with a pistol sends people off the deep end. Its like they're self griefing themselves with how angry they get.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 7, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Why the gently caress don't they just program a minimum delay between shots? Just having one click equal one shot with nothing else controlling it sounds like the programmers just being lazy as poo poo.

ARTS and Warcrafts
Sep 25, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Zaodai posted:

In the original Modern Warfare, Last Stand and Martyrdom were considered griefing. Last Stand was somewhat justifiable in the claim

Except Last Stand was way less annoying than Martyrdom by quite a bit.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

ARTS and Warcrafts posted:

Martyrdom is easy as poo poo to dodge. It's literally just "Don't teabag the dude you just killed".

EDIT: VV I get that they do now, but I don't get why they didn't in the first place. VV

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Why the gently caress don't they just program a minimum delay between shots? Just having one click equal one shot with nothing else controlling it sounds like the programmers just being lazy as poo poo.

They do. If you fire a semi-auto too fast it jams, at least in MW3.

ARTS and Warcrafts
Sep 25, 2011

by Ozmaugh

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Martyrdom is easy as poo poo to dodge. It's literally just "Don't teabag the dude you just killed".

EDIT: VV I get that they do now, but I don't get why they didn't in the first place. VV

Sometimes you don't wanna run out and get killed by his teammates?

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Instead of Teabagging, I always find it more aggravating when the other player messages me afterwards and says "lol what happened sorry you should practise more!!"

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

You could use a macro or script to turn semi-auto guns into bullet hoses. Really effective on the G3/Pistols, hilarious on the Barrett.

But that's also what they did for the pistol in TF2. Changed it so holding down the fire button made it shoot at the max rate.

ARTS and Warcrafts posted:

3x nades/Sonic Boom/Martyrdom go positive without ever firing your gun.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

a medical mystery posted:

Haha wow.

You have been banned!
Reason: Playing the game mode as it was designed.

Oh man, that reminds me of Pyro Dodgeball for TF2.

You are all pyros and assigned to two teams. A rocket spawns heading to a person (it will make a noise when it's locked on you I think) and you have to perform a pressure blast at the right moment to send it off targetting a random pyro on the other team.

You can't burn each other, but there is absolutely nothing stopping you from running up the enemies and blasting them around like chestnuts at a squirrel party. Angle your blast up and see how long you can juggle them. Bonus points if they get fragged while being bounced.

I was doing it on one server with an admin on and man he was so pissed he could not ban me. It was a sort of unspoken rule to not do that kind of poo poo, but it's actually in the official game rules and is easy to remove if the mod creator wanted blasting other players to be removed.

"Your game is playing retard dodgeball. My sole goal is to stop you"

oldgoatmon
Jul 4, 2004

Ohhh Bitch, You Got Jacked Bitch

EVIR Gibson posted:

Oh man, that reminds me of Pyro Dodgeball for TF2.

You are all pyros and assigned to two teams. A rocket spawns heading to a person (it will make a noise when it's locked on you I think) and you have to perform a pressure blast at the right moment to send it off targetting a random pyro on the other team.

You can't burn each other, but there is absolutely nothing stopping you from running up the enemies and blasting them around like chestnuts at a squirrel party. Angle your blast up and see how long you can juggle them. Bonus points if they get fragged while being bounced.

I was doing it on one server with an admin on and man he was so pissed he could not ban me. It was a sort of unspoken rule to not do that kind of poo poo, but it's actually in the official game rules and is easy to remove if the mod creator wanted blasing other players to be removed.

If you were doing it on voogroo's servers it's both allowed and encouraged to blast. So the admin was lying about being one or somehow a 12 year old donated to get admin.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

oldgoatmon posted:

If you were doing it on voogroo's servers it's both allowed and encouraged to blast. So the admin was lying about being one or somehow a 12 year old donated to get admin.

He had a color'd name different from everyone else and he was flying around so it is probably the latter.

edit: Also saw one guy get banned by him for spamming

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe

HoldYourFire posted:

They do. If you fire a semi-auto too fast it jams, at least in MW3.

If you use semi-auto's with rapid fire, or whatever it's called, it removes the cap on firing rate so you can still use the scroll wheel.

Anyway, I believe I was one of maybe 100 people to actually play Mortal Kombat vs DCU, so I'll share a story. Basically everyone would sit in a largish lobby and invite eachother to unranked matches for fun, but people took these matches very, very seriously. Now I'm not at all good at fighting games, so I needed an advantage. If you were one of the other people that played this game, you know that that came in the form of The Flash. The Flash could sprint across the stage very quickly and send the opponent into a spinning stunlock, and you could repeat this over and over. Most people would wait until I chose first to avoid anyone picking the flash, so I would hover over someone else and just switch quickly. If you didn't block, and weren't good, you would almost always lose. This drove people loving bonkers for no reason, as they were unranked matches.

Another way you could piss people off big time was a trick I discovered. I would pick Liu Kang and do that bicycle kick, and then you would do any attack that juggled the opponent. You could do this over and over, locking them in the air and whittling at their health until they hit the invisible barrier at the edges of the stage and I dropped them, only to backpedal and restart the whole fiesta. I got a quite a few messages.

Another story,I used to play WC3 custom games, including a game called LoaP, or Life of a Peasant, which was a terrible game where you could play as the police or peasants or the mob and a few others, so I would pick the police and arrest someone, which made it so they couldn't play the game. I don't know why they would try pleading for 20 minutes rather than just leaving. There was also a worldedit where I would alt-tab and look for cheat codes and ruin the game for all the super serious rpers. I also got banlisted on DotA during my first game in a lobby called Noob Friendly or something. I wasn't good enough. During my first game.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Oppenheimer posted:

I also got banlisted on DotA during my first game in a lobby called Noob Friendly or something. I wasn't good enough. During my first game.

I'm familiar with these jackasses. They aren't looking to help new guys get their bearings or actually are new guys looking to play with other newbies, they're rear end in a top hat veterans who want to curbstomp the fresh meat as they come off the proverbial boat.

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'm familiar with these jackasses. They aren't looking to help new guys get their bearings or actually are new guys looking to play with other newbies, they're rear end in a top hat veterans who want to curbstomp the fresh meat as they come off the proverbial boat.

Pretty much. There's not a Noob Friendly server in existence that isn't there for pubstomps.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
WC3 in its prime was the best place to grief with all the custom maps and thousands of fresh meat. One of the things I did when playing Tree Tag (hide and go seek) was when the game came to a close telling my team this entire time I've been /w(messaging) the infernals(the "its") when to camp spawn(to prevent rescuing tagged players). Even though I did no such thing they would always believe me and rage hard.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What's the trick to finding a TF2 server where people actually communicate to one another? Every server I go into usually is just silent.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

SlothfulCobra posted:

What's the trick to finding a TF2 server where people actually communicate to one another? Every server I go into usually is just silent.

Find one that's not public, or only play with friends. Only way I've found to do it.

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day
WC3 Custom maps owned. Island defence was a really cool combination of a tag game and a TD. One person was a titan who went around hunting for buildings and workers to kill for EXP and everyone else was one of several "builders", who were usually the only guys who could build, and all handled very differently. THe way the game worked was that the titan would have a base with some shops, and as he killed stuff he'd get money to buy items. THe builders would have to gather resources and eventually build a base to keep the titan out, but they could only harvest lumber. If you wanted gold you had to go attack a gold mine in the centre of the map, so it ended up being a really tense game where everyone would run in and get a couple of gold before running back to some cheap fortifications to hide.

It was a really easy game to grief too. When a players main builder dies all their buildings disappear, the entire map is revealed and the player becomes a mini-titan, who's weaker than the main titan but still really useful. So if you wanted to screw people over you'd wait until everyone had set up their temporary lumber bases then die and watch as everyone screams at you. Warcraft 3 also uses a grid system for building placement, and units would have a size in grids. Titans were 2x2 sized and builders were 1 grid, so builders would build bases with passageways narrow enough for them to access but too small for the titans. It was extremely easy to block a builder in one of those narrow passageways when they went to repair a wall and scream as the titan smashed through their walls eventually killing them.

drat now I really want to play that game again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

LordBaxter posted:

WC3 Custom maps owned. Island defence was a really cool combination of a tag game and a TD. One person was a titan who went around hunting for buildings and workers to kill for EXP and everyone else was one of several "builders", who were usually the only guys who could build, and all handled very differently. THe way the game worked was that the titan would have a base with some shops, and as he killed stuff he'd get money to buy items. THe builders would have to gather resources and eventually build a base to keep the titan out, but they could only harvest lumber. If you wanted gold you had to go attack a gold mine in the centre of the map, so it ended up being a really tense game where everyone would run in and get a couple of gold before running back to some cheap fortifications to hide.

It was a really easy game to grief too. When a players main builder dies all their buildings disappear, the entire map is revealed and the player becomes a mini-titan, who's weaker than the main titan but still really useful. So if you wanted to screw people over you'd wait until everyone had set up their temporary lumber bases then die and watch as everyone screams at you. Warcraft 3 also uses a grid system for building placement, and units would have a size in grids. Titans were 2x2 sized and builders were 1 grid, so builders would build bases with passageways narrow enough for them to access but too small for the titans. It was extremely easy to block a builder in one of those narrow passageways when they went to repair a wall and scream as the titan smashed through their walls eventually killing them.

drat now I really want to play that game again...

Custom maps were pretty great. Too bad when I revisited the game like a year ago, all anyone plays is DoTA.

• Locked thread