Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

I used to play lots of "epic strategy" style WC3 maps (like Azeroth Wars), which were basically 12 player RTSes with huge armies, lots of hero units and triggered events and usually based around some WC3 campaign storyline. They were actually a lot of fun but incredibly easy to grief.

Most of these maps were balanced around each faction having one or two natural enemies that kept them in check, and some trigger events based on lore that would help you get the upper hand. These maps were frequently very poorly balanced. The absolute worst sin in these games was allying with other players, officially or unofficially. Doing so would generally completely break the game: a Naga player who allied with the Night Elves could pretty much instantly get a souped-up Illidan, help the Night Elves wipe all other factions off the continent, then grab the Skull of Gul'dan in the centre of the map to turn him into a literally unkillable monster. You could eliminate an entire player from the game like he was nothing if you play like this - half an hour spent building up his armies and expanding and your super powered armies rip through everything he has. People would get furious.

"Hero targeting" was also considered against the code of conduct. Heroes dying usually triggered some event that was rarely good (one map had you instantly lose if your king died). Their skills were invaluable in turning the tide of combat but they usually had WC3 default health totals, which is absolutely gently caress all when 50 archers shoot over the enemy lines and kill him in about two seconds flat. People considered it "bullshit" if you actually used your army to kill the most important element of his army, and surrounding his to prevent escape was also "bullshit exploits". If you knew the map you could cause an infinite amount of rage - bumrush a hero that's outside of city walls at the very start that triggers an event that destroys his biggest city, for example.

Actually just rushing at all was considered immoral. If you had the balls and the map knowledge a lot of times you could doom a player to irrelevance by quickly shoving all your early game forces down their throat and destroying the irreplaceable buildings that produced units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
By the way to anyone wanting to play WC3 custom games, the last time I checked they are all bot-hosted and it really kills the mood.

Also Parasite was an easy mode to grief, it's basically easy, dumbed-down SS13.

humantis
May 10, 2003
bottomfeeder
Wall of text. On topic.

second life

Too lazy and cheap to spend any money or bother to try to get any in-game currency, but you'd be surprised how much trouble you can cause people in a sandbox area using only free items.

Many times I'd find someone building a large, complex house or something with an inside, and then I'd walk in and put a little prop in it. That way, when they were done, they couldn't copy it and save it because the program would complain that someone else's stuff was in it. And they couldn't get rid of my prop either. So they had to ask me nicely to delete it. Or, more realistically, get quite angry.

There was one time someone had a blimp I couldn't drive, but I could sit on the top of. So I and a couple other people sat on top of this blimp, shouting directions at the driver to fly over people building things. Then I'd throw non-lethal grenades down at them, repeatedly blowing them away from their work with a harmless but large force.

Cheap poo poo, but second life sucks. These were the only times I had fun during the short time I experimented with it.

Garry's Mod

On any server with wire and UWSVN installed, which hopefully there aren't many of, you can trivially build a device that generates a sort of high-strength gravitational field. Anyone within the radius of this device (its maximum radius can be pretty big) will be lifted from the ground and "fall" toward it, smacking into it hard enough to take massive damage and bounce off, only to fly back and bounce off again. Their corpse will also continue to do this until they respawn. There is no defense against this. It's hilarious.

Stepping up the tech level a bit. I assembled a brightly colored, flashingly lit, attention-getting object with a sign on the front that urged players to bring a prop to it. Inside, there was a lot of wiremod gadgetry, most of it visible and identifiable, some of it hidden. The sign on the front indicated that if you held a prop in front of the prominent nozzle, the mechanism would detect it and automatically dye it a different color. It did in fact do this, although the detection wasn't automatic because I was lazy when I built the trap. I just triggered the paint command remotely with a hotkey.

The hidden wire circuitry had a sensor that would output its own coordinates, and a transmitter. There was a second part to this contraption: A dumpster with a radio and a teleport device welded to it. I hid this behind something. A typical Gmod server is littered with abandoned crap, so nobody really looked twice.

When a curious newb came close to the "attract" part of the trap, I'd dye a prop or two for them with the remote trigger, then when they got curious and looked inside at the circuitry, stepping close, I'd hit the secret trigger. This sent the coordinates <X, Y+400, Z> to the hidden teleporting dumpster, and the "Teleport now" command immediately afterward. A loud zap and a flash, then a shadow. A dumpster would appear 400 Hammer units overhead, crushing the victim. Hilarious.

OK. Garry's Mod Tech Level: Near maximum.

Expression2, the programmable chip, is capable of doing nearly anything on a Garry's Mod server. I found an expression2 script online that acted as a "pilotable ship" - you'd sit in a chair linked to the chip, and the script would trigger. You could make your chair fly around with the arrow keys, look around with the mouse, etc. Sort of neat, basically pointless. I liberated this script from its restrictions.

I greatly increased the script's max motion speed, so you could move much faster than even any car. More importantly, I had it attach the levitate and control script to a different prop instead of my chair.

I had it attach to a bomb.

Specifically, a remotely-triggered, highly damaging, clipping disabled bomb that was set not to disappear when detonated. I tried making the bomb invisible, but found it was less fun.

I proceeded to go to a "build and deathmatch" server with this thing, sit in the chair, and then chase down other players with this impossibly fast remotely flown destructive device. Whenever I got near anyone with it, I'd just spam the detonate button, guaranteeing their near-instant death. The entertaining part is, I could sit in plain sight in my control chair, because a player sitting in a chair is invincible in Garry's Mod. Escape was impossible by going indoors, I'd fly through the wall. Escape was impossible by getting in a car, I could outrace it. They had to ban me, ...which they did in due course once they figured out it was me doing it at all.

Garry's Mod is pretty great if you want to actually invent new ways to be a dick.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

NiffStipples posted:

I finally jump down 10 minutes later after making each one of them individually ask me to politely to come down off the wall.
You are the reason this thread is awesome.

SlothfulCobra posted:

What's the trick to finding a TF2 server where people actually communicate to one another? Every server I go into usually is just silent.
Go back in time 3-4 years.

Slappy Moose fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 7, 2012

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Shumagorath posted:

What's the trick? I had wheel down to prone and wheel up to knife and wish all games would let me do that.

wheel down bound to fire gun ingame, setpoint set with "Cruise Down" on whatever button you wanted:

Making a button act like the scroll wheel means you don't have to practice to shoot straight and perform mag dumps. I can't flick my wheel without moving the point of aim nor could I dump an entire mag easily.

Red dot/acog Barrett "shotgun", bandolier/sleight of hand/*wildcard was pretty wild.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Slappy Moose posted:

You are the reason this thread is awesome.

Go back in time 3-4 years.
The only servers I've found recently with active voice are trade servers. You might get lucky if you find one with a "community" but I just end up telling kids they aren't old enough to play an M-rated game.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The only thing voice is good for in TF2 is telling other people using voice to shut the gently caress up, because either 1) no one cares what they're doing this weekend(Hint: It's playing more TF2, otherwise you'd have people to tell IRL), 2) the n-word is not the height of comedy gold or 3) no, they do not know what the gently caress they're talking about, listening to their advice will lose us the round.

KiloVictor
Jan 7, 2012

Service guarantees citizenship... would you like to know more?
In Mount and Blade Warband, there was a multiplayer mod called CRPG which allowed players to create character which actually grew in level and saved between multiplayer sessions. The character database allowed you to purchase gear to make it available in game. One of those items was a siege ladder that you could carry around and deploy to scale walls or get on top of buildings.

I had a better use for them.

When you deployed one such ladder, the base of it was placed at the feet of your character while the rest of it was laid flat on the ground behind you. The ladder would then raise up and over until it found something to rest on. While the ladder was raising, it would still collide with other players and would even clip through objects in the world until it was beyond its apex.

I would run up to a choke point where a fierce battle was being fought, align myself so that my back was facing the battle, and deploy a ladder. Players from both sides would be hoisted into the air, many turning in confused circles trying to get back on the ground. If I positioned the ladder correctly, I could launch 4-7 players at a time, many of whom would fall to their death. Not to mention, the deployed ladders would create a ton of clutter in the world resulting in many, many tears.

Even better is when I can ladderpult someone out of the map. It can make a single round run through the entire round timer as the confused player runs circles trying to find a way back into the map. Glorious tears!

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

humantis posted:

second life

Many times I'd find someone building a large, complex house or something with an inside, and then I'd walk in and put a little prop in it. That way, when they were done, they couldn't copy it and save it because the program would complain that someone else's stuff was in it. And they couldn't get rid of my prop either. So they had to ask me nicely to delete it. Or, more realistically, get quite angry.

There's an option to be able to only select your own objects when mass-selecting, which makes the pubbie's stupidity even funnier.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Speaking of Second Life, there used to be a gray goo exploit with objects. If you've never heard of gray goo, it's a science fiction thing that spreads to anything it touches and consumes it. In SL, you could do that (sort of) by making an object spawns a copy of itself. Even better if it makes a really twisted shape that makes the physics engine poo poo itself when a million of them spawn on top of each other or it makes a bunch of loud, obnoxious noises.

I can't seem to find any good videos of it, unfortunately. One of the best ones made screaming cubes with one of the live action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on it, and another made Paper Mario jump up and down everywhere.

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh

PalmTreeFun posted:

Speaking of Second Life, there used to be a gray goo exploit with objects. If you've never heard of gray goo, it's a science fiction thing that spreads to anything it touches and consumes it. In SL, you could do that (sort of) by making an object spawns a copy of itself. Even better if it makes a really twisted shape that makes the physics engine poo poo itself when a million of them spawn on top of each other or it makes a bunch of loud, obnoxious noises.

I can't seem to find any good videos of it, unfortunately. One of the best ones made screaming cubes with one of the live action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on it, and another made Paper Mario jump up and down everywhere.

You mean this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr2kcN9KSh0

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day
I used to go around in second life griefing, if you wanted some stuff to jazz out your avatar/annoy people all you had to do was go search for free stuff on the SL marketplace. My favourite was a rocket launcher that made huge explosions everywhere, along with a special rocket that would create this massive stage the maker of the item used to advertise the rest of his stuff. I also managed to get a copy of the W-Hat pack from a friend, there was some magical stuff in there.
Here's some of the pics me and the other dudes took. TIMG'd due to hugeness, I'm the dude with the free snake avatar.

Also I found a nuke that would explode in a massive particle cloud whenever it hit something.

There were a couple of sound spamming things as well, high pitched noises, that meltdown Michael richards (Kramer from Seinfeld) had on stage, the Dragon ball Z aura would constantly play the powering up sound from that show and that middle finger would flash repeatedly and swear at high volume. The snake avatar I got doing some treasure hunt, and it came with an animation that was a copy of the death animation from the game, complete with the game over sound played at really high volume. There was also some stuff I found once and could never find again, like a molotov that would set people on fire and also generated thousands of pictures of dicks that would float around them.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

PalmTreeFun posted:

One of the best ones made screaming cubes with one of the live action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on it

LordBaxter posted:

a molotov that would set people on fire and also generated thousands of pictures of dicks that would float around them.

I can't believe I missed the Second Life goonrush, it sounds so... magical :allears:

Keisari
May 24, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

What's the trick to finding a TF2 server where people actually communicate to one another? Every server I go into usually is just silent.

Play on one of the goon servers. Atleast when I was there there was all kinds of mic talk (and a lot of in-jokes and circlejerk), but it was fun and they're pretty open to new (goon) people. They also have mumble, when I was there and was talking in mic I was told to get into mumble. I'm sure there's even more talk and communication.

Also, I guess Second Life is dead by now? I missed the whole train, I wish I had registered sooner. :(

donar
Nov 16, 2008
I play left 4 dead 2 quite a bit and one day I was in a full expert No Mercy campaign. One of the guys was annoying as gently caress (wandering off on his own during a horde, walking into lines of fire, blasting team mates at point blank right after they've healed, giving orders when he clearly doesn't know what he's doing etc) and the other two were no better so I changed my name to Zoey and started acting like a bot.
- Ignore teammates that are pinned until they're incapacitated, run up to them and fire wildly at a lamppost or chase after a zombie on the other side of the room before doing anything about them.
- Stand in areas that are likely to get you killed by special infected like the middle of the room when you're covered in boomer bile, at cliff edges when theres a charger around or at a point of no return where the rest of the team can't do anything about your impending death.
- Run into lines of sight.
- Waste midkits by healing players as soon as they go yellow. Try and get to the safe room with the first survivor so you can waste some of the medkits that are there for the next chapter on whoever is at the back.
- Set off tanks and events that you can get away with (like the shop window in dead center).
- Run right up to tanks and give them a nice big hug. They only want to be loved.
- Give players pills when they're shooting. Best done during a horde when they don't actually need to heal but use them accidentally.
- No player left behind. If someone goes down, go back and get them no matter how far back you need to go.
- If they get to the finale and actually make it to the rescue, take the scenic route to the escape transport and buy some time for the infected to take out the survivors.

The best part was when the full team had made it to the finale (despite my best efforts) and one of them realised that I wasn't a bot and had been playing with a full team for at least two hours.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

humantis posted:

Garry's Mod

I seriously can't imagine playing Garry's Mod normally ever again after finding how fun griefing on it is. I remember the very first time I tried multiplayer, I was playing and some dude was a douche and erased my stuff. I promptly filled his body with lead. He respawns and kills me, leaving us uneven, so I just build a wall of turrets at spawn and leave it toggled.
The admin, seeing this, removes all my weapons leaving me with the screenshot tool and the tool gun. I have a couple of ideas running, none of them particularly interesting, and most of them requiring more advanced knowledge of Garry's Mod. I literally finished installing the game less than 2 hours earlier. So I'm like "What tools can I use here?"

Then I just see it there, and it was so perfect: Fire tool. I spawn ten exploding barrels near the admin. Permabanned.

ArfJason fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 7, 2012

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
If there's no admin present and no god mode it's possible to lock down an entire server in gmod using wired explosives.

Start with a target finder. Place it in the middle of the spawn area and set it to a range large enough to cover the spawn area. Do the same with as many wired explosives as needed. For maximum effectiveness you'll also need an E2 chip.

Have the E2 chip take inputs from the finder. If it's 1, have the E2 chip output a variable which toggles back and forth between 0 and 1. Twice a second should be plenty.

Have the explosives take that input from the E2 chip. So now any time someone goes near the the finder, the explosives start exploding. Wired explosives can be set to remain even after exploding, so there's no need to reset anything.

Now kill everyone using whatever method you like. They spawn, target finder finds them, they explode. It's also automated, so you don't have to watch your traps or hit the explode button or anything. Want to grab some lunch while you wait to see how long they'll last? Go for it. Make them beg? Go for it.

For a slight twist you can set the target finder to only react to a specific person. If you feel like being an rear end to just one guy for some reason.

edit: For a quick way to kill people, spawn two explosive barrels fairly close to each other, then use the rope tool. Use the console to set the rope's length to any negative number. Rope the barrels. Due to a glitch, they won't react. Dupe them. When you spawn the dupe, the rope reacts and they explode. So you can basically generate explosions with a single click anywhere you look.

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 7, 2012

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

KiloVictor posted:

In Mount and Blade Warband, there was a multiplayer mod called CRPG which allowed players to create character which actually grew in level and saved between multiplayer sessions. The character database allowed you to purchase gear to make it available in game. One of those items was a siege ladder that you could carry around and deploy to scale walls or get on top of buildings.

I had a better use for them.

When you deployed one such ladder, the base of it was placed at the feet of your character while the rest of it was laid flat on the ground behind you. The ladder would then raise up and over until it found something to rest on. While the ladder was raising, it would still collide with other players and would even clip through objects in the world until it was beyond its apex.

I would run up to a choke point where a fierce battle was being fought, align myself so that my back was facing the battle, and deploy a ladder. Players from both sides would be hoisted into the air, many turning in confused circles trying to get back on the ground. If I positioned the ladder correctly, I could launch 4-7 players at a time, many of whom would fall to their death. Not to mention, the deployed ladders would create a ton of clutter in the world resulting in many, many tears.

Even better is when I can ladderpult someone out of the map. It can make a single round run through the entire round timer as the confused player runs circles trying to find a way back into the map. Glorious tears!

M&B Warband CRPG is hilarious to grief, my personal favourite is destroying ladders as people are trying to go up a large building, not only is the person going up dead or barely alive, the people on the top are stranded. :twisted:

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Just blowing people up in GMOD is kind of lame as a "Grief". I managed to get an entire server to voteban me for just building.

What I do these days is go to a player and watch what they are building, and then I copy it prop by prop. They look over from time to time, but eventually flip their poo poo, as I'm "duplicating" their contraption.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Eltrollo posted:

M&B Warband CRPG is hilarious to grief, my personal favourite is destroying ladders as people are trying to go up a large building, not only is the person going up dead or barely alive, the people on the top are stranded. :twisted:

We managed to get the entire 20 or so goons in the LLJK clan permabanned from the main US server because we were barricading ourselves into a tower and shooting arrows, instead of running into the plate armoured death machines on the other team to die like good peasants.

Of course they unbanned us after a day because they realised that they had nobody to play against without us because we were half the server population.

Warband is great fun because you get the spergiest players to grief.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
The 'knightly combat' sentiment that Warband players like to try to enforce is kind of hilarious. gently caress YOU, YOU MARCH INTO MY SWORD FACE-FIRST OR YOU ARE A COWARD AND A CHEATER!

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Zaodai posted:

In the original Modern Warfare, Last Stand and Martyrdom were considered griefing.

It's not nearly as clever or entertaining as some of the other things here, but here goes...

People also really hated the Juggernaut perk (which gave players extra health) and the Grenade Launcher (noob toob). Also, people *really* liked sniping. So, my friends and I being annoyed with snipers and people arbitrarily deciding that certain perks were lame, decided to be as annoying as possible.

We all made the following build:
Grenade Launcher
Juggernaut
Last Stand or Martyrdom (player's pick)
Smoke Grenades (to screw with snipers)

Every time we spawned, we would toss both smoke grenades and regular grenades, then run in with the Grenade Launcher. It's a completely stupid way to play, and skilled players could easily roll us when doing it, but it *really* pissed off a lot of people, to the point where we were getting cursed out in the lobby.

This was on the console version, so you can imagine.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

So many of the "red" line of perks were considered cheap that you could get anyone mad at you for anything. Juggernaut made you a cheating pussy because you had more health, Stopping Power made you a pussy because you did more damage. Those were the two most popular (I liked Stopping Power personally), and I played XBL because when Modern Warfare first came out I didn't have a computer that would run it decently.

FFA games were the best because you could hear every player in the game, so you got to hear all your enemies yell at you.

It would let you have 3 different loadouts that you could swap between each time you respawned if you wanted to, and I would personally carry 3 tiers of loadout: My SERIOUS BUSINESS loadout with my best guns and perks, the "Whatever I'm working on achievements with" loadout for getting points, and the loadout that was basically for cherry tapping. I don't remember all of what it was, but I know the main gun was a Skorpion because pubbies considered it the absoulte worst gun in the game. People would get madder and madder as you swap out from your "overpowered" stuff, to some average stuff (you're just lucky!) to things they considered to be horribly poo poo and you're still kicking their rear end.

Throw grenades at campers and snipers, carry a grenade launcher but only use it at close range so you don't kill them with an explosion, you shoot them in the head with the grenade before it ever arms and it kills them with projectile damage.

Literally the only thing required to grief people online in the original Modern Warfare was the ability to look at the screen and have basic motor control in your hands.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Ultimate CoD4 troll class:

Skorpion
Any pistol, doesn't matter

Fragx3
Juggernaut
Last Stand

Given how powerful grenades in CoD4 were, spamming them was just entertaining.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Special Grenades x3 and taking Stun Grenades worked well too. You still got a hitconfirm from the blast radius like a frag, but being blinded would send them into a rage on it's own but doubly so if you used it to kill them with a crappy weapon or you knife.

... or another stun grenade, with what amounted to chip damage.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Stopping power considered a "noob perk"

What the gently caress...? :psyduck:

My friend plays a lot of shooters, especially the old CoDs. He used to play clan matches and so on. He said that there were two and only two perks considered "pro" perks that were always forced in clan-matches. Stopping power was one of them. The other one was the one which let you penetrate walls better. So even the spergiest of the sperglords think that stopping power isn't a "noob" perk. This tells a lot about those people who moaned about your perks.

Now I myself ofcourse always used last stand / juggernaut + silenced AK-47 or something along the lines of that. A lot of pubbies would be thrown into mad rage because I was just so tough to kill. Except my friend, I was just a small nuisance for him for he easily wiped the floor with me.

Call of Duty 4 good times.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think people call Stopping Power a "noob perk" because anything in War Simulator #34538 that makes it easier to kill people that is legitimately hard to counterbalance is instantly for noobs and kids.

EDIT: That's true for any game, really, I guess.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Zaodai posted:

Literally the only thing required to grief people online in the original Modern Warfare was the ability to look at the screen and have basic motor control in your hands.

That's two things :ssh:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

CJacobs posted:

I think people call Stopping Power a "noob perk" because anything in War Simulator #34538 that makes it easier to kill people that is legitimately hard to counterbalance is instantly for noobs and kids.

EDIT: That's true for any game, really, I guess.

The counterbalance is Juggernaut. You can do 20% more damage, or you can have 20% more health. Kind of like how in MW2 they added the ability to hear enemy footsteps 400% normal volume, just so people had the option to cancel the ninja pro 25% walking noise perk.

I mean yeah, you have to give up your extra damage to counter other people's, but that damage is still able to be negated by doing so. Either way the boost is irrelevant if you are much better than the average player on Xbox live, so... :D

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 8, 2012

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ryde posted:

We all made the following build:
Grenade Launcher
Juggernaut
Last Stand or Martyrdom (player's pick)
Smoke Grenades (to screw with snipers)
Not bad. I never played MW2 but apparently there was a configuration even better than Overkill / double tubes.

My favourite, though, had to be joining a Shipment server and running around with a stun grenade primed. When you died it would explode shortly thereafter and trap everyone nearby in your Martyrdom grenade. Imagine the rage of dying to Martyrdom compounded because your controls were stuck for three seconds prior to death.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

Not bad. I never played MW2 but apparently there was a configuration even better than Overkill / double tubes.

My favourite, though, had to be joining a Shipment server and running around with a stun grenade primed. When you died it would explode shortly thereafter and trap everyone nearby in your Martyrdom grenade. Imagine the rage of dying to Martyrdom compounded because your controls were stuck for three seconds prior to death.

in MW2 there was the one man army perk, which let you change classes at the expense of a secondary weapon. Once you got pro perk, you could do this really fast. Like it was quicker to fill your LMG with ammo via re-loading the kit than reloading the gun. This also gave you another claymore or whatever equipment you had. So you could find a spot, plant a claymore, one man army, plant another claymore, then tube to your heart's content. On 18-man domination (I played on console), this was delicious grief in most player's eyes.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Tenkaris posted:

The counterbalance is Juggernaut. You can do 20% more damage, or you can have 20% more health. Kind of like how in MW2 they added the ability to hear enemy footsteps 400% normal volume, just so people had the option to cancel the ninja pro 25% walking noise perk.

I mean yeah, you have to give up your extra damage to counter other people's, but that damage is still able to be negated by doing so. Either way the boost is irrelevant if you are much better than the average player on Xbox live, so... :D

This actually isn't entirely true. Stopping Power is objectively better because it applies to everything but grenades. Juggernaut lets you soak more hits, but if you're being shot to the point you need Juggernaut to keep you alive, you're likely dead anyway. Headshots still gently caress you, grenades still wreck you, claymores, C4, knives, etc. Even bursts of fire with Stopping Power (since it's applied per round) would sometimes still kill you in the same number of hits as if you didn't have Juggernaut. Get hit by a flashbang or a stun grenade? That extra HP isn't going to help you recover faster.

People would claim they took Juggernaut to balance out "All the faggots with Stopping Power", but they were really just gimping themselves more because they couldn't kill as fast as everyone else.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
I'm not sure I like cheating to grief, but since the exploit was a part of the game in MW2 for a few weeks, Javelin Glitching takes the cake. I have never had people more pissed off at me for dying in a video game than when I used that. For those who weren't there/didn't play, it was a glitch that dropped a powerful explosive, made more powerful with perks, on death. So someone would kill you and they and anyone else within 250 feet or so would be dead. There was a game mode that required a team to capture a point and hold it, and they couldn't revive. So i would capture and wait at the point, then when they couldn't destroy it they would find me, someone on their team would yell "No don't!" they would shoot me, and everyone would die. I could also run around primed to explode knifing people that couldn't kill me without dying. In that same gamemode, before people knew how to kill riot shielders, you could get a group of guys to block all the entrances around a point and the enemy wouldn't ever be able to get in.

My best game with that glitch I went around 150-90. :jihad:

Another MW2 grief that my friend was rather good at involved sneaking next to a bombsite in Search and Destroy and defusing it underneath them, ending the match in a win for us, and their team confused and pissed off. Also in the first week we figured out the Tac. Knife, Marathon, Lightweight, Commando cheapo sprinty knife class (made you faster, sprinting forever, decreased time between knifes, and increased knife lunge distance) and abused it so much a guy called us "bitch-knifers" for 20 minutes then raged and left.

There was a 4v4 game type called team tactical, and we would play to get 1 kill ahead of the other team then hide for 7 minutes to run the clock and win by 1 single point.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Oppenheimer posted:

...we would play to get 1 kill ahead of the other team then hide for 7 minutes to run the clock and win by 1 single point.

drat, that is brutal. Did they ever find your little hidey-holes?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Oppenheimer posted:

Also in the first week we figured out the Tac. Knife, Marathon, Lightweight, Commando cheapo sprinty knife class (made you faster, sprinting forever, decreased time between knifes, and increased knife lunge distance) and abused it so much a guy called us "bitch-knifers" for 20 minutes then raged and left.

Then there was the glitch that involved sprinting with the smoke grenade used for calling in kill-streak rewards. It basically made you run faster than any combination of perks and guns allowed at the cost of really only being able to huck grenades and use your knife, which wasn't any sort of a handicap anyway. So many pubby tears flowed before it was patched.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I know it's been mentioned before how easy MOBAs are to grief but there was a stretch of time where there was a game-breaking bug left in League of Legends for a while.

The bug in question (there have been many) involved a champion named Fiddlesticks casting a rank 5 skill from brush (stealth) on an opponent not in brush. The bug in question wouldn't instant-kill or cause a graphical glitch - no this bug would kill the game all together. All 10 players would crash and the game would cease to exist.

The griefing possibilities were huge. Your team losing? BAM game's dead. Guy on your team doing really well and gloating? BAM game's dead. Someone says 'good luck'? BAM game's dead. Game's going too long? Well you get the picture.

The bug was in-game and completely abusable for 2 weeks at least. I didn't lose a single game for that entire time.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Balon posted:

I know it's been mentioned before how easy MOBAs are to grief but there was a stretch of time where there was a game-breaking bug left in League of Legends for a while.

There was also a bug where Anivia (one of the characters) could cast a certain spell at a certain point of the map, and it would damage all the enemy heroes on the map. Anivia could just sit back in the base and spam the skill for an easy win.

There were all kinds of weird bugs in that game indicative of a poor code-base.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of games like that, HoN has almost a tradition of introducing game breaking bugs with the majority of their big patches. This included the usual variety of being able to pump up stats on certain heroes to intstakill levels, being able to spam an ability dozens of times a second, stuff like that. There was also an amazing bug they introduced to Puppet Master which caused his ultimate to literally delete enemy heroes from the games. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaEVsmzSk6w

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Zaodai posted:

This actually isn't entirely true. Stopping Power is objectively better because it applies to everything but grenades. Juggernaut lets you soak more hits, but if you're being shot to the point you need Juggernaut to keep you alive, you're likely dead anyway. Headshots still gently caress you, grenades still wreck you, claymores, C4, knives, etc. Even bursts of fire with Stopping Power (since it's applied per round) would sometimes still kill you in the same number of hits as if you didn't have Juggernaut. Get hit by a flashbang or a stun grenade? That extra HP isn't going to help you recover faster.

People would claim they took Juggernaut to balance out "All the faggots with Stopping Power", but they were really just gimping themselves more because they couldn't kill as fast as everyone else.

Do you remember when Modern Warfare 2 came out and the 1887s hadn't been nerfed yet, and good players who got up to max level ASAP got to enjoy endless people crying about your OP akimbo shotguns? It made the game so fun that I personally held off on prestiging until the nerf, what with my 50-yard headshots running around like Terminator.

Oh god, and the javelin glitch.... (edit: just saw someone posted about this two posts above because I forgot to refresh before drafting up my post...)

Put on marathon, sonic boom, and commando, rig your javelin, and run at them. If they shoot you, they blow up. If they don't shoot you, you knife them. Their hesitation was great. You'd be in three of their faces and they wouldn't shoot you because they knew you would just blow up. Then someone who doesn't know that runs up and shoots, and they all lose.

I played the first two Modern Warfares on XBL so much that it really burnt me out on that whole community in general. But there were definitely some great moments where people were mad at me for being good at the game, which made it easier to keep them mad by like you said, continuing to beat them using more ridiculous kits and strategies, and embodying :smuggo: between rounds over voice chat.

A friend of mine was QA lead for MW2 for Spec Ops, and he was so disappointed in the multi QA people for not catching some of those atrocious bugs.

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of MW2, if you find a Gungame server and get to the Riot Shield, an easy, EASY way to upset people is to just ram them, because in Gungame you have to get kills with X weapon to level up to the next tier, and whoever gets two kills with all 40 weapons wins.

If you get melee killed, by knife or riot shield, you go down a rank, so all YOU have to do is keep the riot shield either by getting a kill and then suiciding so you don't uprank to the next weapon, or just run around non-lethally butting people with it, unable to get killed from the front at all. It's surprising how upset people will get that they keep getting pounded by a five-man riot shielding goon squad and having to go down a level.

• Locked thread