Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

What's great is that Eric could completely wash his hands of that mess and blame it on Hogan's creative control.
The match was Hogan's idea to make himself look like a huge draw in front of Turner execs.
Eric was on board with it, but it's not like he had any leverage to convince Hogan to lose a month later on PPV.

Instead Eric will go to the grave defending a poorly promoted match that sold 2,000 additional tickets and let them beat Raw for 1 week. :wcw:

He couldn't because Hogan's creative control couldn't change the match from a dark non title match (Hogan's idea) to a TV main event title match (Eric's idea.) I guess he could because he is an idiot, but that would piss off his buddy Hogan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

MassRayPer posted:

He couldn't because Hogan's creative control couldn't change the match from a dark non title match (Hogan's idea) to a TV main event title match (Eric's idea.) I guess he could because he is an idiot, but that would piss off his buddy Hogan.
I checked Death of WCW earlier and it's Hogan's idea to move the match to TV.
But yeah, he wouldn't criticize Hogan.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Oh god the new B & V has that loving song as the intro.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I checked Death of WCW earlier and it's Hogan's idea to move the match to TV.
But yeah, he wouldn't criticize Hogan.

That goes against what Meltzer has always reported and what is in his rebuke of Bischoff's book. Hogan wanted to do the dark match and put Goldberg over clean to get credit for the gate in front of the Turner brass. To do it on TV and for the title they had to promise him that he would be the guy who ended Goldberg's streak when it was all said and done. This decision was made by Bischoff as a response to Nitro losing to Raw 5.3 to 4.0.

Hogan just wanted to take credit for an already huge gate and to impress the Turner brass, he never had any intention of dropping the title until Bischoff panicked. Hogan didn't have to worry about it being on TV because the Turner brass were all in the building. The idea was they would see him in the last match in front of this record crowd and go "Wow, that Hulk Hogan is something else" while not losing any of his heat on TV. This is all from the December 6th 2006 Observer, but whenever Dave talks about it and in older Observers it is the same story.

Normally I'd say trust Dave over Bryan, but in this case Dave was talking to Zane Bresloff every week and Bischoff regularly as well, so he would know. The two main things they called him about were live event poo poo and TV where Bryan never had that level of access. It's no contest. I'd guess Bryan just forgot given what he's said about how insane it was to write that book.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 7, 2012

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Did Dave ever finish reviewing that book?

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Oh god the new B & V has that loving song as the intro.

Take everything from an earthly plant from a skillet to a frying pan. If there ever was a devil born without any horns it must of been the furniture man

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

HulkaMatt posted:

Did Dave ever finish reviewing that book?

Take everything from an earthly plant from a skillet to a frying pan. If there ever was a devil born without any horns it must of been the furniture man

No, he got up to the end of 98 and briefly touches on 99 and the near deal with NBC but never finished :(

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

It's crazy because he tore that book apart for like 3 or 4 issues.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

HulkaMatt posted:

It's crazy because he tore that book apart for like 3 or 4 issues.

I like that he does that when ever there is a new release. From memory he did great piece(s) on the History Of Wrestlemania and Rise and Fall of WCW DVDs where he goes through section by section correcting "facts".

MassRayPer posted:

That goes against what Meltzer has always reported and what is in his rebuke of Bischoff's book. Hogan wanted to do the dark match and put Goldberg over clean to get credit for the gate in front of the Turner brass. To do it on TV and for the title they had to promise him that he would be the guy who ended Goldberg's streak when it was all said and done. This decision was made by Bischoff as a response to Nitro losing to Raw 5.3 to 4.0.

First off, does the math work that there was an average 9.3 rating for Wrestling on a monday night at one stage, and now it's at a 3? I presume that a 3 now is higher than a 3 then, but that's still a big audience they have driven away/lost.

MassRayPer posted:

Normally I'd say trust Dave over Bryan, but in this case Dave was talking to Zane Bresloff every week and Bischoff regularly as well, so he would know. The two main things they called him about were live event poo poo and TV where Bryan never had that level of access. It's no contest. I'd guess Bryan just forgot given what he's said about how insane it was to write that book.

Whenever he talks about WCW he says that Bischoff "surrounded himself with smart people" and that "the guy that came up with the ideas in WCW isn't around anymore" was that Zane? If so what did he actually do?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I don't think the math works out to quite the 9, because there was a LOT of switching back and forth, but I'd guess a 7 or 8, easily.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LordPants posted:

I like that he does that when ever there is a new release. From memory he did great piece(s) on the History Of Wrestlemania and Rise and Fall of WCW DVDs where he goes through section by section correcting "facts".

First off, does the math work that there was an average 9.3 rating for Wrestling on a monday night at one stage, and now it's at a 3? I presume that a 3 now is higher than a 3 then, but that's still a big audience they have driven away/lost.

Whenever he talks about WCW he says that Bischoff "surrounded himself with smart people" and that "the guy that came up with the ideas in WCW isn't around anymore" was that Zane? If so what did he actually do?

Back in 98 I believe each 1.0 of rating for USA or TNT would mean 900,000 viewers (I may be wrong and it may be lower.) Today it seems to be what... 1.5 million? So the same number of people are watching Raw now as watched in 1998 but the ratio of people watching Raw to the overall cable audience is smaller. At their peak in 1999 and 2000 they were doing 7s on some weeks so overall viewership is down from the peak. As we all know, everyone watching Nitro died in early April of 2001.

Zane is one of them. He came up with the Spring Break Out Nitro at the huge night club and a number of other ideas.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
When does the awards issue of the Observer come out? I can't wait to see who wins the coveted "most disgusting promotional tactic" award. :allears:

Smart money is on Christian losing the title the week he won it.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Capsaicin posted:

When does the awards issue of the Observer come out? I can't wait to see who wins the coveted "most disgusting promotional tactic" award. :allears:

How can it be anything but letting Jeff Hardy work Victory Road rather than replacing him?

Google suggests the awards issue comes out mid to late January every year.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Capsaicin posted:

If it's not the Jeff Hardy thing it's the TWITTER HASHTAG TRENDING poo poo.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Gotta be Jeff Hardy working Victory Road, or that promoter sending Scott Hall out to work, but iirc the award is "Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic by a Major Organization" so TNA has got this one in the bag

oatgan fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 7, 2012

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Capsaicin posted:

Award deadline is January 12 so prob sometime near/in February.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

HulkaMatt posted:

Award deadline is January 12 so prob sometime near/in February.

Usually the awards issue is 2 weeks after voting is over.

And if Perro Aguayo Jr's "final show before chemo" doesn't win then there is no justice.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
I think MRP was saying it was interesting to hear the old WO near the purchase of WCW, was just wondering what would be a good date to start with for that stuff?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Raeg posted:

I think MRP was saying it was interesting to hear the old WO near the purchase of WCW, was just wondering what would be a good date to start with for that stuff?

Check out the Bischoff interviews in January and February of 2001 first. After that I think all of the No Guest shows from March of 2001 deal with the death and purchase, with more WCW content the closer you get to the purchase. March 23rd and 27th are obviously vital.

You should also check out the January 17th 2001 show because it features an interview with JOHN CENA. I believe that one is from when he was in UPW, and there is an interview in May a few days after he started in OVW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If you don't normally listen to Wrestling Weekly you may want to listen to the end of this week's show. Les has a great Luther Lindsay story. It's weird that with all the deaths in wrestling that he doesn't come up more these days as he is one of the few in ring deaths.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 7, 2012

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

MassRayPer posted:

Check out the Bischoff interviews in January and February of 2001 first. After that I think all of the No Guest shows from March of 2001 deal with the death and purchase, with more WCW content the closer you get to the purchase. March 23rd and 27th are obviously vital.

You should also check out the January 17th 2001 show because it features an interview with JOHN CENA. I believe that one is from when he was in UPW, and there is an interview in May a few days after he started in OVW.
The callers might be the most entertaining part of the show after the final Nitro.

I CAN'T BELIEVE THOSE WOMEN POPPED FOR BUFF BAGWELL!
:goonsay:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

MassRayPer posted:

If you don't normally listen to Wrestling Weekly you may want to listen to the end of this week's show. Les has a great Luther Lindsay story. It's weird that with all the deaths in wrestling that he doesn't come up more these days as he is one of the few in ring deaths.

All y'all should be listening to Wrestling Weekly anyway. The other 2 or 3 guys are pretty forgettable but Les is the man.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

Fauxhawk Express posted:

All y'all should be listening to Wrestling Weekly anyway. The other 2 or 3 guys are pretty forgettable but Les is the man.

I can't. I tried, but I just can't. That whistling sound he does with his teeth just drives me up the wall and I have to turn it off.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Return of the Jedi, Lance, RETURN OF THE JEDI

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

--Final 2011 standings based on predictions Josh Nason has recorded
Todd Martin 71%
Dave Meltzer 70%
Mike Sempervive 68%
Mike Sawyer 68%
Josh Nason 68%
Oliver Copp 54%
Bryan Alvarez 53%

:smug:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
When you're right 53% of the time, you're wrong 47% of the time!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Isn't Todd Martin just a dude who says what he feels and has no sources? That is pretty good if so to beat Meltzer with all his sources.

E: and I know this is only tangentially related to podcasts, but since this is where a lot of observer chat happens anyway, a headline on f4wonline says "ROH star touring with WWE" but I couldn't find anywhere who that star was.

Rick fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 8, 2012

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Rick posted:

Isn't Todd Martin just a dude who says what he feels and has no sources? That is pretty good if so to beat Meltzer with all his sources.

E: and I know this is only tangentially related to podcasts, but since this is where a lot of observer chat happens anyway, a headline on f4wonline says "ROH star touring with WWE" but I couldn't find anywhere who that star was.
It's Antonio Cesaro (Claudio Castignoli). He teamed with McGillicutty against Alex Riley and Mason Ryan at a Raw house show.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Perigryn posted:

It's Antonio Cesaro (Claudio Castignoli). He teamed with McGillicutty against Alex Riley and Mason Ryan at a Raw house show.

Are Alex Riley and Mason Ryan the least technically proficient and most generally unsafe tag team of all time ever employed by a major promotion?

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Oatgan posted:

Are Alex Riley and Mason Ryan the least technically proficient and most generally unsafe tag team of all time ever employed by a major promotion?
Mexican America's got the edge there because of Hernandez alone.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

For what it's worth, Mason Ryan reportedly knows about his limited skills and ability.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
The most careful beatdowns.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Oatgan posted:

I've heard from a couple people that Alex Riley is actually getting better and working safer, but I haven't watched Superstars in ages so I can't confirm or deny this.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rick posted:

Daily updates are literally like three pages of poo poo and then three paragraphs of gold. Just skip all the crap until the very end, that's where all the good stuff is.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Rick posted:

I don't think Todd gets enough credit, he's good at de constructing things and normally has valuable input in my opinion.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

For what it's worth, Mason Ryan reportedly knows about his limited skills and ability.

I wasn't trying to be insulting in any way. I love Mason Ryan.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"I don't wanna talk about wrestling, that's redneck talk" puts a smile on my face every time. :)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Man, imagine Bourne eating Swiss Death, that would be crazy elevation.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Dave hated the ending of the TNA PPV so much, he watched the Tokyo Dome show afterward.

Strenuous Manflurry fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 9, 2012

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Dave hated the ending of the TNA PPV so much. he watched the Tokyo Dome show afterward.
I believe he also said on Live Audio Wrestling that he will not go out of his way to watch any of their PPVs on PPV or live stream.

On a better note, Bull Nakano's retirement ceremony sounds amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Oatgan posted:

Not in a world where Kronik existed, I don't think.

• Locked thread