Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Oppenheimer posted:

There was a 4v4 game type called team tactical, and we would play to get 1 kill ahead of the other team then hide for 7 minutes to run the clock and win by 1 single point.

There is a whole youtube channel dedicated to killing a few people with claymores and then hiding. It's called HiddenMasters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-TQp2W8Nlc&feature=relmfu

This one begins with a fail but follows up with them hiding on the same map in a different location.

They also use that music for every video, but I don't mind because it's catchy and awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

In DOTA's defense (oh no) it is an awesome game that has had so much time and effort put into it that its awesome its getting its own stand alone sequel. The community, however is quite possibly the worst of any gaming community ever.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

What makes it awesome?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Having Asperger's Syndrome.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

At it's core, it's sort of a Diablo-lite, though more around killing and less about loot. You kill poo poo, whether they're weak but numerous monsters or human-controlled enemy heroes. You level up, get new abilities or improve ones you already have. At level 6, you can unlock your most powerful (Usually most powerful) ability and kick even more rear end.

The Dark World RPG map back in Starcraft, which is sort of similar in concept only the enemy is computer-controlled and your allied forces are player-controlled. You start off weak, feeding off weak assaults until you're strong enough to go on the offensive. Then you start taking down bases, supported by your base-building ally. DoTA and similar games have a similar initial pace, where enemy towers shape the early game, but as you get stronger, it moves into larger fights involving more of the enemy team. Rather than facing a dumb AI, you're fighting other humans.

It's sort of a neat basic concept that spirals out of control because of how easy the community can ruin it. It's basically a player vs player action RPG with games lasting about an hour assuming they play out fully. The problem is that snowball mechanics can make it difficult to recover from setbacks and it can be difficult to enjoy playing a game where you start losing early on and never fully recover. Take into account the standard sort of person you find on the internet who enjoys PvP of any sort and it makes sense why the community is so lovely.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Having Asperger's Syndrome.

Hey, this is the griefing discussion thread, not the griefing-like-you-would-in-a-video-game thread. <:mad:>

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Doc Hawkins posted:

What makes it awesome?

Team based strategy can have some of the best moments in your life. Experiencing the feeling of 3 players coming from the shadows with stuns and slows trying to kill you and you somehow manage to not only survive with a sliver of health but manage to kill 1 or all of them is just one of the greatest feelings in life. Besides the Community I would say DOTA can give you some of the best and worst feelings. It is a game that you need to experience at least once.

EDIT: Although this is a bad reference to good plays in DOTA1 due to it not telling you skills and telling what units are players, it still shows some of the sickest plays i've seen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGrKnBJCCjE [I really wish I could go in depth but it'd be boring of me to describe each hero in the video and tell the skills that hero has, what they did, and why whatever happened.]

One way to Grief DOTA2 is to be a complete newbie and random pick a hero you don't know how to play at all and telling your team. Another way to grief is to just steal all the kills for yourself and hoarding all the bonus gold, it also makes your Kill/Death score look baller :smug:. It's even better when you build a Dagon [It's an item that when used, does massive damage to target enemy, making killsteals easier]

Dizz fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 8, 2012

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Dizz posted:

Team based strategy can have some of the best moments in your life. Experiencing the feeling of 3 players coming from the shadows with stuns and slows trying to kill you and you somehow manage to not only survive with a sliver of health but manage to kill 1 or all of them is just one of the greatest feelings in life.

...Really? :psyduck:

Anyway, Modern Warfare 2 had a mode called Headquarters where both teams had to take over a small position and hold it to earn points. The game ends when a team gets a required amount or the round timer ends, and the headquarter moves from time to time to keep the game from getting stale. Note that a headquarter won't move if it doesn't get captured, and if no team gets to the score limit the match takes 20 minutes to end (When a normal match usually takes around 5). You can see where this is going.

I was playing with a full goon team against some clan and we decided to make the game drag on for as long as we could. Capturing the headquarter takes some time, so we just ignored the enemy and constantly spammed explosives into the point, killing anybody that tried to get inside and not capturing it ourselves. They killed us constantly but it didn't matter because it only took a single grenade to stop them from ever capturing it. They spent the next 20 minutes rushing into a tiny room and dying to grenades over and over, getting angrier every time but never leaving the server.

At the very last minute we rushed in and just barely captured the headquarter for a few seconds, earning a single point which made us win the round when the timer ended. They left after that.

Elman fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 8, 2012

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Elman posted:

Life sure is different for people with homestuck AND pony avatars.

If the new star wars mmo is so much like warcraft, where are the griefing stories? Why haven't goons interrupted a wedding on dagobah(sp?) yet?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Elman posted:

Technically, everything is "one of the greatest feelings in life", in the sense that if you put them all on in order, even the worst feeling in life is somewhere on the list. It's just dead last.

[EDIT]
Regarding the Star Wars MMO, it griefs you. The people on there don't really take any easy baits to get angry, and every planet you go to the chat gets progressively more weird. There was an argument in general chat on Tatooine about whether Pokemon or Star Fox was "more gay" to like, and the way they settled the argument was by judging which setting had the better hentai based off of it. It is truly a hosed up place.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jan 8, 2012

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
You can't grief people in SWTOR because you never see other people. Yes it's a MMO and yes I am on the highest population German server.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Zaodai posted:

[EDIT]
Regarding the Star Wars MMO, it griefs you. The people on there don't really take any easy baits to get angry, and every planet you go to the chat gets progressively more weird. There was an argument in general chat on Tatooine about whether Pokemon or Star Fox was "more gay" to like, and the way they settled the argument was by judging which setting had the better hentai based off of it. It is truly a hosed up place.

What the gently caress? I'm so glad I don't play MMOs.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Hungry Gerbil posted:

You can't grief people in SWTOR because you never see other people. Yes it's a MMO and yes I am on the highest population German server.
I'm on a mid-pop English RP server and I still haven't gone five minutes in any general area without meeting someone, most often several people.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
Oh wow, "several people"? Guess it really does deserve that "Massively Multiplayer" moniker after all.

I haven't played TOR but it certainly sounds like it griefs you. Case in point, the case where you torture a woman constantly until she loves you :stare:

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

HoldYourFire posted:

Oh wow, "several people"? Guess it really does deserve that "Massively Multiplayer" moniker after all.

I haven't played TOR but it certainly sounds like it griefs you. Case in point, the case where you torture a woman constantly until she loves you :stare:
I'm talking really out-of-place areas where only one specific quest go. In quest hubs there's normally numerous people hanging around even at low levels and the more I level the more people there are.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
There's basically zero pvp action on TOR, you can practically just afk anywhere :(

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

Dizz posted:

Team based strategy can have some of the best moments in your life. Experiencing the feeling of 3 players coming from the shadows with stuns and slows trying to kill you and you somehow manage to not only survive with a sliver of health but manage to kill 1 or all of them is just one of the greatest feelings in life. Besides the Community I would say DOTA can give you some of the best and worst feelings. It is a game that you need to experience at least once.

EDIT: Although this is a bad reference to good plays in DOTA1 due to it not telling you skills and telling what units are players, it still shows some of the sickest plays i've seen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGrKnBJCCjE [I really wish I could go in depth but it'd be boring of me to describe each hero in the video and tell the skills that hero has, what they did, and why whatever happened.]

One way to Grief DOTA2 is to be a complete newbie and random pick a hero you don't know how to play at all and telling your team. Another way to grief is to just steal all the kills for yourself and hoarding all the bonus gold, it also makes your Kill/Death score look baller :smug:. It's even better when you build a Dagon [It's an item that when used, does massive damage to target enemy, making killsteals easier]

Sometimes I really miss goons.txt

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

HoldYourFire posted:

Not only is that entirely optional, the first optional conversation you strike up gives you the option to take off her shock collar.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

HoldYourFire posted:

It's kinda funny. For all the talk around that one story, I really enjoyed quite a bit of the other class stories. The JK story really picks up on act II and the bounty hunter story is pretty strong the whole time.

On the population eye roll, I constantly see people all the time in the same as WoW levels (On my server, anyways).

ARTS and Warcrafts
Sep 25, 2011

by Ozmaugh
People complain about Dota and then admit to playing WoW in Star Wars drag which is griefing yourself.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

ARTS and Warcrafts posted:

People complain about Dota and then admit to playing WoW in Star Wars drag which is griefing yourself.

Wow! What an awesome post!

Edit:

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

What the gently caress? I'm so glad I don't play MMOs.

Dunno what you are talking about, that sounds funny as hell.

big duck equals goose fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 8, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I don't play DotA or SWTOR, what do I win?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I like to do most of the stuff Tenkaris talked about in Call of Duty, only I record it.

I've got your typical "beat them with a shittier gun than they're using then try to provoke a message of them" videos
http://youtu.be/jr56NY1hs74
But when the situation arises I'll actually put some effort into it.

"Quickscoping" is the idiotic way of playing where you run around with a sniper and shoot people as soon as you bring up the scope. While playing some free for all in Modern Warfare 2 this summer this kid that was losing horribly started challenging everyone to a one on one quickscoping match. Some other guy and I took him up on the offer and I proceeded to do everything I could think of to piss him off like using a semi auto (as opposed to the bolt actions which are apparently the only way to quickscope) and spamming the trigger at close range or actually aiming down the scope for more than a split second.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEFbD0S8rJ4
Evenually I played the way I was supposed to and still beat him easily, and it was my first time trying to quick scope. Most of these kids are really bad.

Boosting was really popular in MW2. You abused a piece of equipment that lets you pick where you spawn after you die to continually spawn next to your friend in free for all or something, so he can head shot you over and over to unlock stupid camouflages for his guns. You may have seen some of Sandy Ravage's videos on youtube where he hunts down kids that are boosting. Well one day instead of hunting them down I decided to join some kids and "help out" but it didn't go so well for them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0hCkr-0zGw
I actually recorded one of them screaming to their mom to wake him up for school the next day.

If you frequent the COD console threads you've probably seen them, but I made a playlist in case you want to watch some more of the same stuff http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7127717A824C2965&feature=mh_lolz

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
In Black Ops, there's Nazi Zombie mode. This mode is mainly filled with children who can't handle the standard multiplayer. There are a few different maps, but my friends and I only played on one: the Pentagon. In this map, you'd randomly be assigned one of four characters to play as: Nixon, JFK, Fidel Castro, and Robert McNamara. Throughout the course of the game, each character would spout off things depending on the situation you were in. Most of them were actually somewhat funny. However, JFK and Nixon each had an especially annoying line that could be produced ad naseum.

When the match would start, you'd be given 500 points, which are used to buy weapons and ammo and gained by killing zombies. I would normally go into a match with just one friend,and hope that we managed to get either Nixon or JFK. Whoever did would rush to one of the weapons on the wall and buy it. They would then proceed to mash the X button at the weapon, which they couldn't afford. The character would then say "Come on, I'm good for it!" if they were Nixon or "But I waaaaaant it!" if they were JFK.

Understandably, the other two players would get angry, but not because we were spamming lines. No, it was because we were not participating by killing zombies. Once one of them would tell us to play the game, we would comply. After we would gain enough points to use the elevator, we would use it, leaving the other two players upstairs. They would then be forced to spend 500 points to call the elevator back up and go down again. After that, we would open up other areas that had been blocked off, thus allowing even more zombies to pour in each wave. Normally, this is what you're supposed to do, but if you do it too fast you'll be swamped by zombies with poor weapons to fend them off.

At one point in the map, this one zombie would spawn that was super fast, had an insane amount of health, and would take your weapon if it caught up to you. My buddy and I would try to screw the other players over by blocking doorways, jumping in front of them, and sprinting off when the zombie got close enough. We eventually managed to have this down to a science, to the point where we could reliably get the zombie to take one of the other players weapons without a hitch.

The whole time, we would be acting like we were new to the game, as an "excuse" to why we were playing so terribly. We got plenty of ragemail doing this, and even pushed a few kids to the point of tears. It was a great way to blow off steam.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I don't play DotA or SWTOR, what do I win?

You get to lose your virginity someday.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Argas posted:

Not only is that entirely optional, the first optional conversation you strike up gives you the option to take off her shock collar.

I don't think a hypothetical game where you're obliged to torture a character until they love you would be that much worse. The big problem is that someone(s) said, "Hey, this is a good thing which should be in our game we hope millions of people play."

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

I don't think a hypothetical game where you're obliged to torture a character until they love you would be that much worse. The big problem is that someone(s) said, "Hey, this is a good thing which should be in our game we hope millions of people play."
yes, because the sith are really big fans of hearts and teddybears :angel:

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

MasterFugu posted:

That doesn't make it not weird.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MasterFugu posted:

You missed the part where she ends up wanting you to leave it on after a while of torturing her with it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Bioware is just telling us the harsh truth about the behavior of an entirely fictional group in scenarios they invented. It's not their fault we can't handle it.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Stuntman posted:

You missed the part where she ends up wanting you to leave it on after a while of torturing her with it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

Doc Hawkins posted:

Bioware is just telling us the harsh truth about the behavior of an entirely fictional group in scenarios they invented. It's not their fault we can't handle it.
oh no, it's a depiction of violence! oh no realism in vidya games! surely the evil rear end in a top hat faction can be persuaded to love and pet kittens instead.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I suppose you think rapelay is a Good and Mature video game?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Yes, don't you all remember when the Emperor raped a million aliens as an act of ultimate evil and how the Empire in the entire Star Wars series was focused around sexual dominance as opposed to taking over the universe?? Geez it's like you people have forgotten your roots, good thing Bioware is here to remind us!

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Jabor posted:

I suppose you think rapelay is a Good and Mature video game?
I'm not whiteknighting awful video games, just pointing out that the sith are pretty evil, and using a shockcollar wouldn't be something that would be below them.

e: gonna stop derailing now.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
The thing that weird me out about sw:tor is that in Star Wars, nobody swears. When people get angry they shout "blast!" and compare people to womp rats and nerf herders instead of bitches and motherfuckers. And yet in this very same universe where nobody ever says anything more offensive than "crap" Bioware has crammed their Mature Adult Content where everybody screws and rapes and tortures women. It makes the whole thing feel even more repulsive.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Category Fun! posted:

The thing that weird me out about sw:tor is that in Star Wars, nobody swears. When people get angry they shout "blast!" and compare people to womp rats and nerf herders instead of bitches and motherfuckers. And yet in this very same universe where nobody ever says anything more offensive than "crap" Bioware has crammed their Mature Adult Content where everybody screws and rapes and tortures women. It makes the whole thing feel even more repulsive.

It's because even the one where they slaughter kids it never went below PG-13 and Burger King promos.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

redmercer posted:

It's because even the one where they slaughter kids it never went below PG-13 and Burger King promos.

That's why they did it in the movies, but people still don't swear in the game, at least not that I've noticed.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Category Fun! posted:

That's why they did it in the movies, but people still don't swear in the game, at least not that I've noticed.

People don't swear in the universe outside of made-up words, it's not something that Bioware invented.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Fellblade posted:

People don't swear in the universe outside of made-up words, it's not something that Bioware invented.

Never in the books either? I'd assume that somewhere along the line one of the more adult EU books would've had a particularly evil character who compared people to poop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I think the most severe swears in the Star Wars universe are "Sithspawn" and "Sithspit."

• Locked thread