Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Pita also says Merry Christmas!

A word on owning our second Corgi:

Pita is amazing. We adopted her and she was a stray, which is weird in its own because all you can think about is what kind of life did she have, and obviously you'll never know. They found her in a really crappy area, so I'm wondering if her owners were bad to her and just let her out one day. One of the reasons I'm also thinking this is she cowers a lot when a hand is above her, even though we might just be playing and I'm grabbing a toy or I'm petting her.

She's so un-Corgi that it actually takes 0 extra effort owning along with owning Taziki. Taziki is super hyper, always wants to play, will cry if we can't play with her, and generally requires a lot of attention. Pita just wants to snuggle, be on your lap, I've never heard her cry, she wants to play but it doesn't seem like she actually cares if she is or isn't, as long as she gets affection.

So it's been interesting, and an absolute joy. It's also great when we get some Corgi vs. Corgi tug of war. We're going to have 6 dogs at our house for Christmas (A German Shepard, 2 poo poo-Zus, and a Bichon) so I'm really looking forward to some craziness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

We kind of have the best of both worlds right now because we share a big field with our landlords/neighbors and they have an awesome border collie who became Orbit's best friend immediately. They play every day and get along great, but ultimately we're only responsible for one dog. Whenever we stop renting and buy our own place I'll probably push hard to get a second dog so Orbit continues to have quality play time every day, but that won't be for a few years most likely. I do keep looking at petfinder a lot to see corgis who need homes though, which is always super hard when I find a great one and my boyfriend vetoes it :(

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

I think Nova's going to just be a tiny corgi. She's 8 months old and barely 20 pounds on a fat day, and pretty small. People keep asking me if she's a 'miniature' corgi. :sigh:

Her parents were a little small, but not that small. (Mother was around 25, father was between 25-30).

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Kerafyrm posted:

I think Nova's going to just be a tiny corgi. She's 8 months old and barely 20 pounds on a fat day, and pretty small. People keep asking me if she's a 'miniature' corgi. :sigh:

Her parents were a little small, but not that small. (Mother was around 25, father was between 25-30).

It happens. Hopkins is over 3 years old now and he maxed out around 22 pounds.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
Good lord, Corwin is 33 lbs and probably will bulk up more. Of course, I'm reminded how huge he is when I see him next to other corgis. Walter (our friend's corgi whom we had this weekend) must be no more than 25 lbs and he's 4 inches shorter than Corwin.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Josie is about 24 lbs, but there's a lot of variation in her litter. The smallest (female) is less than 20 lbs, and the largest (male) is probably 35 lbs.

Also, does anyone else's corgi bark in their sleep? As I'm writing this, Josie is fast asleep on her dog bed, letting out high pitched barks in her sleep. Must be a good dream.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
We had our friend's derpy corgi, Walter, over the weekend. Walter is such a good soul, but he's pretty stupid for a corgi. However, just looking into his eyes you can see kindness and concern, and he's so SWEET. Look into Corwin's eyes and you'll see some kind of scheme, figuring out how to get you to give him food/BALL/attention/BALL/PARK/BALL/food.

Walter has some issues, though. Like, when he gets excited he RAGES at cars. I think he would try to herd them if he could. And he barks at noises at the door, which isn't great because we live on a busy/windy street. Corwin might bark at me (bossy rear end!) and for attention but he doesn't bark at noises.

PICS TIME!

These are from the Dog Park on Sunday. It was drizzly and dark, so even though it was 10AM, I had to shoot these at ISO 2000 to get a decent shutter speed. GUH.

That jack-russell was named Pesky and true to his name he repeatedly stole Corwin's ball (the only type of ball he will fetch) and ran off with it. Thus began the chase train.

GIVE ME MY BALL!!

Wanna pet dat black dawg. Look at his florpy ears!

Waaaaaaaalllllllt(er).

Oh, hai, it's Corwin, and his new boy friend. Said boy friend eventually threw Corwin's favorite ball over the fence and lost it. :mad:

Dyuuuuurp.

My dawg is :smug:

A boy and his Pesky.

Florp.

Corwin is all :keke: in the corner!

Walter!

Corwin!

Haters gonna hate.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Fukkin' Corwin! :3: Those are great pictures.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I love his face when he's being hugged by the kid!!

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Those pictures are amazing! Man you guys are gonna get me in so much trouble I want to have all the corgis.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Muddy buddy :3:

Dammit, I wish I had Butters with me and that my parents were OK with him being in their house :(

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

anachrodragon posted:

Also, does anyone else's corgi bark in their sleep? As I'm writing this, Josie is fast asleep on her dog bed, letting out high pitched barks in her sleep. Must be a good dream.

Neige does! She twitches her paws and makes little throaty yip sounds. My favorite, though, is when she sticks her tongue out while she's sleeping. Yesterday she did that, and when she woke up, she couldn't remember how to pull it back in and just lay there looking sheepish at me. :3:

Man, I am super looking forward to Christmas. We're going down to visit my grandfather in Chehalis, and my sister's bringing the Pomeranians, and my cousin's bringing her Schipperke mix, so there's going to be much dogplay. Mostly spitzy dogplay, but that's okay.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
Corwin barks in his sleep, but it's usually a softer yip-yap than his usual full-throated yelling.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Kerafyrm posted:

Loki is about 24-25 lbs, but he is very long. His chest isnt very broad either. I'll see if i can dig up some pictures from the parade

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Gizmo's happy weight is right around 29-31 pounds.

An he dreams outloud too. Often. When I'm on my computer and not my phone, I'll have to put the video of it up.

Gizmo has this habit of crying with his bone or bully stick. His doing this as we speak. He likes to bury them. And by bury, he pushes the blanket around and attempts to bury it.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

When did your dogs stop gaining weight? Orbit is 8 months and was 26lbs last time we weighed him about a month and a half ago. He's definitely a little heavier now and is toning up but not really getting very broad like I see some corgis. My guess is he will gain a little more but I don't if it'll get to be 38lbs like some cardigan males! I just want him to have one of those rolypoly barrel chests :3

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Ace makes little short yippy barks when he's dreaming sometimes that he never makes when he's awake. Man corgis are talkative. He also snores.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Plus_Infinity posted:

When did your dogs stop gaining weight? Orbit is 8 months and was 26lbs last time we weighed him about a month and a half ago. He's definitely a little heavier now and is toning up but not really getting very broad like I see some corgis. My guess is he will gain a little more but I don't if it'll get to be 38lbs like some cardigan males! I just want him to have one of those rolypoly barrel chests :3

Gizmo's chest dropped and spread when he was about 2. I'd say he was done growing at that point.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

From this holiday weekend! Pretty pup.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Not sure if you guys heard it but a Corgi survived an avalanche! The owner died but the Corgi made it back 4 days later.

http://www.billingsgazette.com/news...paign=hottopics

Bonus picture of our Corgis smothering my girlfriend early in the morning (this happens every morning, our bed is just a big Corgi pile now):

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

I am the proudest corgi mom ever, we took Zeke to a farm to see if he could herd. And boy, could he ever. I didn't say a word to him, but he kept moving the sheep and any time one would stray, he'd bring it back to the herd and then bring the herd to me. It was the coolest thing I've ever seen one of my dogs do!! I guess we'll be taking lessons now, hopefully I'll be able to get my own farm in the next few years so that he can have his own livestock.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Miss Indy posted:

I am the proudest corgi mom ever, we took Zeke to a farm to see if he could herd. And boy, could he ever. I didn't say a word to him, but he kept moving the sheep and any time one would stray, he'd bring it back to the herd and then bring the herd to me. It was the coolest thing I've ever seen one of my dogs do!! I guess we'll be taking lessons now, hopefully I'll be able to get my own farm in the next few years so that he can have his own livestock.

Can I ask where you guys went? I've been wanting to give herding a go with Neige when she's old enough, but the only local-ish place is Ewetopia, and I've heard mixed things about their handling style (PVC pipes and such to keep the dogs from damaging the sheep). While it makes sense when you've got Dutch Shepherds or Malinois working the sheep, she's just a little corgi-girl and having a rough go would likely color her experience permanently.

On that note, I'm learning that my dog is one of the softest dogs ever when she's playing in a group. She's never given a single correction to another dog, which actually makes me a little nervous. My guess would be that up until now, she's never learned to assert herself with other dogs because she's generally been the youngest. Hopefully that's not going to be a permanent thing; I don't want my dog to have battered wife syndrome!

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

ButWhatIf posted:

Can I ask where you guys went? I've been wanting to give herding a go with Neige when she's old enough, but the only local-ish place is Ewetopia, and I've heard mixed things about their handling style (PVC pipes and such to keep the dogs from damaging the sheep). While it makes sense when you've got Dutch Shepherds or Malinois working the sheep, she's just a little corgi-girl and having a rough go would likely color her experience permanently.

On that note, I'm learning that my dog is one of the softest dogs ever when she's playing in a group. She's never given a single correction to another dog, which actually makes me a little nervous. My guess would be that up until now, she's never learned to assert herself with other dogs because she's generally been the youngest. Hopefully that's not going to be a permanent thing; I don't want my dog to have battered wife syndrome!

We went to http://fidosfarm.com/ which apparently has fewer problems than Ewetopia. I actually really liked the lady that did our herding assessment. She was quick to point out when we were doing things right, gave clear direction on what to work on, and just overall was very enjoyable to be around. Still in Olympia basically but I've already got plans to go back in a couple weeks :)

Attaching a pic of Zeke totally kicking rear end and taking names.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Yay Zeke! That looks awesome.

In other news, Josie injured her right front leg again while playing at doggy daycare. This is the same leg she had a soft tissue injury in about a year ago... so now we're back to limited activity and anti-inflammatory meds. Of course Josie isn't very happy about this limited activity thing and would love to run around and jump despite favoring her leg. :argh:

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Poor Josie, hope she gets better soon!

ButWhatIF, Ace is also really really timid with other dogs and pretty much never corrects them when he's playing with others. He gets regular play dates with random other dogs, but he's 3 now and still acts the same. He's timid around people, too... I swear the way Ace acts it looks like I beat him constantly or something. He's even super sensitive to correction and will flinch when told no. At this point, I'm pretty sure that's just his personality. He's otherwise happy and outgoing, but will flinch hard at sudden movement/ loud noises/ correction and mopes for a few minutes at any of those things.

Funny story, when I went to pick up Ace to bring him home from the rescue, they had a whole bunch of young puppies in a kiddie pool hanging out. The second they saw me they were all scrambling to come towards me for pets and were trampling all over each other. I found Ace at the literal bottom of the pile of puppies, sitting there like he didn't have 5 other dogs literally crawling up him. That's when I knew that he was special. :downs:

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

He dropped his ball down the stairs, so he just plopped down and started whining. He doesn't have the motor skills to go down stairs yet. :saddowns:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Umberger posted:

He dropped his ball down the stairs, so he just plopped down and started whining. He doesn't have the motor skills to go down stairs yet. :saddowns:

I'm not sure if that's lack of motor skills or the Corgi trait of "I'm going to play with this as close to the edge as possible and when it drops I'm going to snap my head around at you and make you get it."

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

The Dave posted:

I'm not sure if that's lack of motor skills or the Corgi trait of "I'm going to play with this as close to the edge as possible and when it drops I'm going to snap my head around at you and make you get it."

Ours does this but with shoving stuff under the couch. He always wants to chew on his antler right next to the couch and always shoves it under and then whines like the world is going to end when he can't get at it.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
Corwin rolls his ball under the couch (or soccer kicks it under there) and then will woof... Woof... WOOF at us until we get it, or do what we call "snaps" where he just closes his jaw and clacks his teeth. We like snaps. :3:

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Tristesse posted:

Poor Josie, hope she gets better soon!

ButWhatIF, Ace is also really really timid with other dogs and pretty much never corrects them when he's playing with others. He gets regular play dates with random other dogs, but he's 3 now and still acts the same. He's timid around people, too... I swear the way Ace acts it looks like I beat him constantly or something. He's even super sensitive to correction and will flinch when told no. At this point, I'm pretty sure that's just his personality. He's otherwise happy and outgoing, but will flinch hard at sudden movement/ loud noises/ correction and mopes for a few minutes at any of those things.

Funny story, when I went to pick up Ace to bring him home from the rescue, they had a whole bunch of young puppies in a kiddie pool hanging out. The second they saw me they were all scrambling to come towards me for pets and were trampling all over each other. I found Ace at the literal bottom of the pile of puppies, sitting there like he didn't have 5 other dogs literally crawling up him. That's when I knew that he was special. :downs:

Hooray hooray, today Neige played with a larger dog (4 month old malamute mix) and didn't have an attack of the wimpy! She was definitely unsure of him at first, but once she got a good sense of where his paws landed when he bounced around her, she was able to learn to dodge accordingly. It was adorable and they bounded around the dog park for a good half-hour before she got tired and wanted to lay down in the mud (what joy is mine, another bath).

She's been slowly working up to larger dogs this week. Yesterday, she played with a Boston Terrier and only yelped once when she was bowled over. The day before that, she played "get that white fluffy thing" with an American Eskimo/Golden Retriever. She's happiest when she's chasing a thing, but she's getting better at jaw fencing and biteyface as well. I have to admit that now that I'm really making an effort at getting her some playtime with older dogs, she's doing better. Once she grew out of the "must socialize!" age, I was a bit lax at getting her around other dogs (and to be honest, some of it was my own overprotectiveness after she got bit). I'm going to do a better job of it in the future. Dog park at least 3 times a week, with good play sessions with dogs who suit her (no pit mixes, nothing over 80 pounds).

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Question from a dog newbie:

I'm interested in getting a corgi. Their behavior just sits perfectly with me. And with switching to an online degree program I have a lot more time at home that I would love to dedicate to a pet.

However, I'm honestly not going to jump right in, because after taking a few months to think it over (I've been thinking about this since September) and reading what I need, I'm not honestly sure a corgi would be happy in my environment.

First, I live in an apartment. We already have noisy dogs with neighbors that bark constantly (doesn't bother me at all) and you can't hear anything once you are inside your own apartment. Also, I'm a college student, and with a new roommate that has a much more party-type of lifestyle, he always insists on hanging out with a bunch of people or inviting them over and generally being noisy.

Another thing to consider is I am diagnosed with depression, which affected me when I was taking care of my family's cat for a few weeks. I took care of him more than he was at home. I exercised him, watched how much he ate, was always there to keep him company and keep the house clean. But after all that I felt too worried about taking care of him, where I got it in my head that I couldn't. So even though my therapist would suggest it would be a good idea, I have to take a second thought.

I apologize for going E/N on you guys, but I want to make the right deciscion in getting a pet, and Corgi's were one of my first choices of pets. And after spending time with my mother's Yorkshire puppy and playing with him (more than my own mother does) I felt like having a dog (not a puppy) would be a great thing for me.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I personally don't think the Corgi is going to be in love with that environment in the long term, and I just really wouldn't get one while still being a college student, whether or not you're leaving to go to your classes. You're at that state in life where a lot of stuff isn't set in stone, and what happens if, a couple years down the road, you get a job somewhere you weren't expecting to and then once you get in the swing of things just don't have the time to take care of the dog?

The one Corgi we actually came very close to adopting was in that situation. Beautiful dog, owner lived in California, got an amazing opportunity in NYC, brought the dog with her and just realized the situation was horrible for the dog.

I'm not a huge risk taker though and want things to really be settled before I make big decisions.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

The Dave posted:

Yeah I personally don't think the Corgi is going to be in love with that environment in the long term, and I just really wouldn't get one while still being a college student, whether or not you're leaving to go to your classes. You're at that state in life where a lot of stuff isn't set in stone, and what happens if, a couple years down the road, you get a job somewhere you weren't expecting to and then once you get in the swing of things just don't have the time to take care of the dog?

The one Corgi we actually came very close to adopting was in that situation. Beautiful dog, owner lived in California, got an amazing opportunity in NYC, brought the dog with her and just realized the situation was horrible for the dog.

I'm not a huge risk taker though and want things to really be settled before I make big decisions.

This is why I made the post, I just want to have the best environment for a pet, or at least I don't want to bring a pet into an environment it won't be happy with, no matter how much I would love to have that pet.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I had a Corgi in a small apartment for a year, very quiet there, was crated during the day, and she actually did really well. Obviously we had to play with her for awhile when we got home, and took her on morning, lunch, and night time walks.

She did really really well there, but I don't know how long I would want her to live like that. Now she has a giant house, toys everywhere, a sister, and a big back yard.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
You sound like you're in a similar situation to where I was the first time I posted in this thread! My living situation was a little scattery, but my husband and I had pretty solid jobs, and we knew we weren't going to be living like that forever, so it was prime time to just do research and get prepared. We spent about 2 years planning and learning and talking about Our Future Corgi, so when it actually came time to talk to breeders and get on some waitlists, we felt fairly well-prepared. Financially, we had time to get an excellent budget going and stockpile against future vet emergencies, and the 2 years of just learning gave me a much better knowledge of the day-to-day of having a corgi in my life. The wait was sometimes excruciating, but it was definitely worth it in terms of the amount of knowledge I gleaned during that time. I'd suggest waiting until your personal life is pretty stable before diving in; it's tough to wait, but the reward is worth it:

Neige's loving her very first snowfall. She is currently soaking wet and panting on the couch next to me.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I've been living in apartments the entire time I've had my Corgi and it suits him pretty well, but it would be a disaster if I had a roommate who had people over all the time making a ruckus.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

When we got our corgi we lived in an apartment and he was constantly barking out the window, freaking out when rude dogs were outside, refused to go on walks around the neighborhood (would just put the breaks on), was terrified of cars, and was generally anxious. He was great when we put him in the car and got him out for walks in the country but around town he was really not happy at all. We had him since he was 8 weeks old and worked really hard on socialization and he still had problems. Keep in mind, this was a relatively quiet apartment complex with families and no parties, and I didn't have roommates bringing drunk strangers by, etc. and he was still unhappy.

We then moved to a house on an incredibly quiet street with a big backyard and he is about 100000000x happier, more relaxed, less anxious, less reactive, etc. He still has issues, but since our move nothing he has problems with are part of his everyday life, so we can take training at our own pace. I am thankful every single day that we don't live in an apartment complex any more.

Corgis in general are not easy dogs and can be prone to anxiety.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Thank you guys. I think a cat or fish would be a better suited pet for me. Or perhaps a different breed of dog.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

ButWhatIf posted:

Neige's loving her very first snowfall. She is currently soaking wet and panting on the couch next to me.
She looks so much bigger! And so drat cute it hurts :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Its taken almost 11 months, but Lola and the cats are finally cool enough with each other that we can all cuddle together on the couch.

• Locked thread