Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ghostnuke posted:

What's with all that hate in the comments on that link posted above? Something about the battery sucking and being non-replaceable?

I wouldn't know, I refuse to read the comments on anything even remotely tech-related or Android-related anymore, since it causes me to want to claw my eyes out in despair if I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, the Razr MAXX actually does have one really impressive stat.

It has a loving 3300mAh battery.

http://www.androidcentral.com/hands-motorola-droid-razr-maxx

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Why does a phone that is half as thick as the Rezound have over twice as much battery capacity

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

For one, the OLED display is very very thin. Also, since they made it a non-removable battery, they can get away with giving it a very thin case (since it isn't meant to be handled) and use a ribbon connector.

You can see by the Rarzr teardown that the battery is almost the entire surface area of the device, this allows it to be thin but still have decent capacity.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Motorola-Droid-RAZR-Teardown/7048/1

So, they just made the whole drat thing a bit thicker and almost doubled the capacity.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
This is exactly why I think a non-removable battery can work. The regular Razr has a 2000 mAh battery, that's about as big as the extended battery on the GN.

Plus it's such a loving cop out to give the device a tiny battery and a slim profile and then sell an extended battery. I'm lookin at you, HTC.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mark Larson posted:

The regular Razr has a 2000 mAh battery, that's about as big as the extended battery on the GN.

1750 actually.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

That battery is loving monstrous. You can leave 4G & Sync on all day and not even give a gently caress. Even the Droid Bionic's factory extended battery is 2800mAh

Too bad that monster will take 2.5-3 hours to charge.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Mark Larson posted:

This is exactly why I think a non-removable battery can work. The regular Razr has a 2000 mAh battery, that's about as big as the extended battery on the GN.

Plus it's such a loving cop out to give the device a tiny battery and a slim profile and then sell an extended battery. I'm lookin at you, HTC.

The extended battery on the Rezound is ridiculous

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

bull3964 posted:

First thing I've noticed is the screen is no where near as bright as the Razrs, but then again it is functioning and mine isn't so that's a plus.

One thing with the Nexus is, if you have it set to auto-brightness it really tends to the darker side by default. If yo manually crank it to full brightness, it gets really bright, but of course with the big screen it also hits the battery pretty hard.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Gwaihir posted:

One thing with the Nexus is, if you have it set to auto-brightness it really tends to the darker side by default. If yo manually crank it to full brightness, it gets really bright, but of course with the big screen it also hits the battery pretty hard.

Yeah, I've come to realize that in the past few days. The auto-brightness seems to keep it drat near the minimum brightness most of the time.

The one thing that's annoying about that is whites and other lighter colors have a distinct pattern on them when the brightness is that low.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

So if the battery on a droid 4 completely died, you'd have to scrap the phone? Or do they just mean not "user replaceable"? I could probably open it up and solder in a new one yeah?

It's a little concerning as I was planning on using it as my primary music player. Supposedly my area has 4g coverage, but I don't really give a poo poo. I'll keep it on 3g if that'll save the battery.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The one in the Razr is actually easy to replace once you get the back cover off. It's not soldered in place, the connector just pops off. I would imagine that the Droid 4 would be similar.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Droid 4 CES hands-on roundup:

Engadget
The Verge
Slashgear
Android Central
Droid-Life

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rastor posted:

Droid 4 CES hands-on roundup:

Engadget
The Verge
Slashgear
Android Central
Droid-Life

It's so pretty... :swoon:

VVV Yeah, a more accurate method of input is such a quirk... :rolleyes:

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 10, 2012

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Well that's a pretty nice looking phone. I hope they hit their release date: I can get my family a droid 4 and myself a Gnex when our upgrade pops in February.

My mom doesn't want to give up her physical keyboard if she doesn't absolutely have to, nice to know they are still supporting that quirk.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I rooted my OG so long ago, I forgot how it works. What do they mean by locked bootloader? Does that mean I can't root it ever, or just have to wait until someone figures out how to hack it?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Ghostnuke posted:

What do they mean by locked bootloader?
Devices with unlocked or unlockable bootloaders (such as the OG Droid) are great because they're capable of flashing custom software images out of the box.

Those with locked bootloaders can't be flashed, which is the principal means of rooting. Usually these devices end up being rooted anyways through software vulnerabilities, but these have a tendency (and rightly) to get patched as they're also vectors for malware. It's quite likely that the Droid 4 won't be succeptible to any known vulnerabilities at the time of its launch, and it could be "a while" before any such vulnerablity is found.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Devices with unlocked or unlockable bootloaders (such as the OG Droid) are great because they're capable of flashing custom software images out of the box.

Those with locked bootloaders can't be flashed, which is the principal means of rooting. Usually these devices end up being rooted anyways through software vulnerabilities, but these have a tendency (and rightly) to get patched as they're also vectors for malware. It's quite likely that the Droid 4 won't be succeptible to any known vulnerabilities at the time of its launch, and it could be "a while" before any such vulnerablity is found.

Bleh. Supposedly the bootloader will be unlocked when it gets ICS, but I guess we'll see...

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I'm thinking about heading over to Verizon and picking up a 4G phone. I want the Nexus but I have a quesiton.

My Verizon account online said I'm eligible for a discount and if I click on the GNex online, it shows up at 299.99.

But I'm not up for an upgrade until mid-March.

If I go down to the store, are they going to want to charge me $600+ or am I going to be able to get the $299 price tag?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

JerkyBunion posted:

I'm thinking about heading over to Verizon and picking up a 4G phone. I want the Nexus but I have a quesiton.

My Verizon account online said I'm eligible for a discount and if I click on the GNex online, it shows up at 299.99.

But I'm not up for an upgrade until mid-March.

If I go down to the store, are they going to want to charge me $600+ or am I going to be able to get the $299 price tag?

If its an early upgrade then you pay an extra $20 on top of the upgrade price.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I've had a Droid X for 2 years or so, and I think it's hitting the end of its life. A few months ago the SD card died, necessitating a replacement and factory reset, and since then it seems slower overall, and the battery loses power much faster.

I was thinking about upgrading to the Droid 2 or something similar, and I figure I could save money by getting a used one from ebay, since I'm on a family plan and don't have any upgrades.

What would the process be like to go this route? Is it like the factory reset, where you just call a number and the phone sets itself up? Do I have to swap out a SIM card?

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

red19fire posted:

I've had a Droid X for 2 years or so, and I think it's hitting the end of its life. A few months ago the SD card died, necessitating a replacement and factory reset, and since then it seems slower overall, and the battery loses power much faster.

I was thinking about upgrading to the Droid 2 or something similar, and I figure I could save money by getting a used one from ebay, since I'm on a family plan and don't have any upgrades.

What would the process be like to go this route? Is it like the factory reset, where you just call a number and the phone sets itself up? Do I have to swap out a SIM card?
The Droid 2 wouldn't really be an upgrade as much as a side-grade, but you can do it all online now under Activate or Switch Device

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I would say wait for the D4 to come out and there should be a flood of D3s on the market, that would be a much better upgrade than the Droid2.

It already looks like you can pick up a used D3 for about $200.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
So what is the likely hood that the new double capacity battery in the new razr will fit the older 2011 razr?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Roundboy posted:

So what is the likely hood that the new double capacity battery in the new razr will fit the older 2011 razr?

Impossible.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Mark Larson posted:

Impossible.

Your answer has satisfied all my questions.

But really aren't the two phones the same dimensions, etc?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Roundboy posted:

Your answer has satisfied all my questions.

But really aren't the two phones the same dimensions, etc?

No, the new one is thicker. Instead of selling you an extended battery they can now sell you an extended phone.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Yeah its 8.9mm instead of 7.1mm or something.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

No, the new one is thicker. Instead of selling you an extended battery they can now sell you an extended phone.

I thought that was the rub, the device,(read: battery) is only a mm thicker giving the increased capacity, but still keeps the thin profile.

I admit I have no idea of the dimensions are exact, but it does seem obvious to slightly increase the battery thickness fit huge life.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The phone is thicker, but IF it is entirely in the back plate and nothing about the front half of the phone is different, you may be able to put a franken MAXX together.

If you sourced the larger battery and the back side of the phone, you may be able to assemble your own. That's one of the reasons why this is so annoying that they didn't release it like this in the first place. It still would have been the thinnest LTE phone in Verizon's lineup, but it would have dominated in battery.

Now, all I can do is look at it and go "All the China Razr phones are getting an HD display and Motorola released a new device with the same qHD panel in it."

I await the Razr MAXX HD in two months.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I await the Razr MAXX HD in two months.
Well, I mean, Verizon has to compete with AT&T's Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket, and upcoming Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket HD somehow.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Wow, the current RAZR owners just gut hosed pretty hard...that is unless you got it at Costco...

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!

Gwaihir posted:

Darker side? The auto dimmer has two levels that I can see. 99% of the time its fully dimmed and the other 1% is maximum bright. But only when deliberately held beneath a light source. I really hope a future update fixes that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Motorola's LTE issues really screwed them up.

2011-early 2012 roadmap should have went like this.

No X2 release (in the form it was released.)

Bionic and D3 should have launched side by side in late June, early July. D3 should have had 1gb of ram and LTE. They basically should have been the same device, one 4.3 inch no-keyboard and one 4 inch keyboard.

In November, right before Thanksgiving, the Razr MAXX should have launched instead of the Razr. However, it would have been slightly restyled and that would have been the X2. The claim to fame would have been slimmer than the original X but with twice the batter capacity and LTE.

Then, in mid Feb-early march, the D4 and Razr should have launched side by side with 720p displays, no capacitance buttons, and ICS. The D4 would have been pushed to 4.3" and the Razr 4.5" (to better accommodate the 720p displays.) The bezels could have been cut down from where they are now to accomplish the screen size increase without a footprint increase. It could have been slightly thicker than the current Razr to give it a bit more than the 1850mAh but not as thick as the current Razr MAXX.

This creates distinct products that speak to different markets that are better separated by time.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ghostnuke posted:

I rooted my OG so long ago, I forgot how it works. What do they mean by locked bootloader? Does that mean I can't root it ever, or just have to wait until someone figures out how to hack it?

Ever since the Droid X & Droid 2, the dev community has worked around the locked bootloader by the use of Bootstrapper apps that'll let you run alternate recoveries so that different ROMs can be flashed.

In the situation of these alternate ROMs, they can change almost anything they want but the kernel must be left in place, as they're part of the lock-and-key mechanism of a locked bootloader.

The Droid 3, Bionic, and Razr have all received bootstrappers. It helps that the hardware is extremely similar so the dev community can easily push out stuff for all 3. In the past few weeks they've come up with overclocking scripts & kernel modules so that it can be close to a custom experience.

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 11, 2012

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

hotsauce posted:

Wow, the current RAZR owners just gut hosed pretty hard...that is unless you got it at Costco...

yeah i almost want to use the 'holiday return' period to switch. Its pretty absurd.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Ghostnuke posted:

Bleh. Supposedly the bootloader will be unlocked when it gets ICS, but I guess we'll see...

Source? This is the opposite of how Motorola has handled their Verizon devices.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

WeaselWeaz posted:

Source? This is the opposite of how Motorola has handled their Verizon devices.

Moto's press release regarding unlocked bootloaders has always had the caveat that amounts to "If the carrier lets us."

If nothing else, I'm annoyed that R&D money was wasted on locked bootloader solutions in the first place. Especially with HTC & Samsung devices running rampant on Verizon's network with unlocked/unlockable bootloaders.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

ProjektorBoy posted:

Moto's press release regarding unlocked bootloaders has always had the caveat that amounts to "If the carrier lets us."

And Verizon has never let them. Did I miss something and they had a press release that said Verizon devices that get ICS upgrades will be unlocked too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WeaselWeaz posted:

And Verizon has never let them.

Why does Motorola have to be Verizon's bitch when HTC, Samsung, and LG run around on their network with unlocked bootloaders?

• Locked thread