Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

jodys posted:

My 2000 has a Jackson M45 supercharger (installed several owners ago and about 70,000 miles ago). I tied down the bypass--effectively cutting the supercharger out of the loop and my chincy phone app dynometer shows a loss of about 20hp compared to the supercharger running (same stretch of road, accelerating to 65 or so). Admittedly I'm up in the stratosphere in Colorado, but I feel like I should get more from the M45. As far as I can tell everything else is stock in the Miata (no fuel modifications.) What would the cheapest next step be to get a bit more power from the M45? Or is +20hp at 5000ft from a 10 year old supercharger about what I should expect?

I put a JR supercharger on a 2003. It had JR electronics, including BTC, and an overdrive pulley. It took the car from "dog slow" to "just a bit quicker than dog slow." I can't speak to elevation change effects or validity of a "phone dyno", but your best bet would be to put an overdrive pulley on and see if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I have the M45 and overdrive pulley on my 2000. All the pulley really seems to do is help it build boost a bit faster but it still peaks at 7 psi. I don't have HP numbers but I can tell you it's a vast improvement over stock... when it's cool. I'm currently working on adding underhood heat shielding, hood vents, CAI, and an intercooler. Fingers crossed.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

destructo posted:

I can't find that in the Flyin' Miata catalogue :confused:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
:stare:

Well that's one solution to engine bay space problems in small cars...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What the hell is the one in front even doing, other than weighing down the front wheels?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

It's probably one long crankshaft? Tractor pull... pullers... do it, so why not!

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Piano posted:

It's probably one long crankshaft? Tractor pull... pullers... do it, so why not!

Looks like there could be a radiator in the way of that... Perhaps it's a fwd subframe?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

IOwnCalculus posted:

What the hell is the one in front even doing, other than weighing down the front wheels?

Being baller.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

meltie posted:

Looks like there could be a radiator in the way of that... Perhaps it's a fwd subframe?

I so hope it's this.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I got my miata in march of this year. It was nice, stock, 118k on the clock. As soon as I got it I did timing belt / waterpump, hoses, changed engine oil, transmission oil, and I couldn't get the bolt off the diff so I postponed that. Well, 15,000 miles later I have still forgotten I need to do that.

So I hear a crunch one day as my rear suspension compresses going up a hill to my friends house. I park and investigate only to find one of the bolts that holds the power plant frame to the differential housing was completely gone. The other one was about half an inch from the pavement, ready to fall out at any given second.

I pull the bolt out and inspect it. It's crossthreaded and slightly crooked. Weird, right? I look under the car and the spacer between the housing and the ppf is cracked straight through.

After a couple expletives I go buy a big enough socket and stick the remaining bolt back up in there and drive the car to the dealership my buddy is a mechanic at just a few blocks away. Car sounded perfectly fine and normal on the way there, no strange noises or anything so I thought I'd be alright.

We leave the car there overnight and the next day I get an estimate for the spacer and bolts and washers and all that. It was pretty cheap and I'm lazy so I told them to go ahead. It takes about 3-4 days to get the parts, they put them on and give me a call.

Unfortunately, now the car is making a clicking sound coming from the drivetrain towards the rear. Awesome. They stop the car at the post office they were next to and call up their flatbed to pick it up (free of charge thank god). Back at the dealership they double check that everything is aligned and torqued to spec and still the same problem. Awesome. My buddy drains the diff and sticks a magnet in there to find a gear tooth. LOL HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN? The 1.8 diff can handle 400hp drag miatas before they break, lol. My engine is stock!

My only guess is the previous owner NEVER changed the diff oil and thats what killed it. It just happened to occur exactly when I give the car to my friend at the dealership.

poo poo sucks, man. $700 shipped for a used 1.8 torsen 4.1 diff. I believe the car had a 4.3 which I'd prefer to keep but the only 4.3 torsen diff I could find was $200 more, not really worth it to me.

Anyways, :unsmith:. Don't forget to change your diff oil.

First Time Caller fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 7, 2012

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Ah gently caress, 95k on my 1990 VLSD and I'm 100% sure it hasn't been changed D:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

destructo posted:

Ah gently caress, 95k on my 1990 VLSD and I'm 100% sure it hasn't been changed D:

You mean your open rear end :v:

A gear chipping off isn't going to be a fluid thing. That's just poo poo luck there.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Pulled the old diff off the car today. Spinning it yields 'thud thud thud thud thud'. Fun stuff. New one should be here next week.

Gonna take apart the old one and pull the LSD out of it since that should be fine. Looks like I can get at least $100 for that from ebay, and same for the diff housing though I'm not sure why anyone would need just the housing.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I think you can put a rx7 one into the miata housing as an alternative to modifying the rx7 one to fit? I think weird drag racing miata people do that.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

$75 Techna-Fit Brake Lines group buy:
http://5xracing.com/i-8146154-clubroadster-net-group-buy-for-techna-fit-stainless-steel-brake-line-kit-for-1989-2005-mazda-miata-mx-5.html

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I took a 6-speed GT out for a ride at work today and it didn't dissuade me from wanting a Miata, although I'd have to go find an 06 not a new one. It was weird being inside because the interior is so different than the Mini, but after a while I'd get used to it. There is also way more room inside than I thought, so maybe an NB wouldn't be too small?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Nodoze posted:

I took a 6-speed GT out for a ride at work today and it didn't dissuade me from wanting a Miata, although I'd have to go find an 06 not a new one. It was weird being inside because the interior is so different than the Mini, but after a while I'd get used to it. There is also way more room inside than I thought, so maybe an NB wouldn't be too small?

I have a 2002 in the driveway. I sat in a 2011 last week when I popped by the dealership. The room is about the same, but I definitely prefer the seats in the 02.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Sockington posted:

I have a 2002 in the driveway. I sat in a 2011 last week when I popped by the dealership. The room is about the same, but I definitely prefer the seats in the 02.

I was under the impression that NB's were pretty cramped inside

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Nodoze posted:

I was under the impression that NB's were pretty cramped inside

I'm not a huge guy - 5'11 and 190 lbs. I know when I gave my taller and bigger (6'2 and about 250 lbs) co-worker a lift home, he certainly filled the passenger seat.

I find it just perfect for me.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Having owned every generation and being 6'4, the NC has the most room, followed by the NA with the door arm rests removed. My NB was a 2000 SE and by far had the nicest interior compared to the other cars. The NC base interior is very cheap feeling, and after a couple years just seemed like a pain to keep clean, and the shiny dash just showed every scratch.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Is the NC engine are durable as the older ones are supposed to be? If I do switch I am definitely supercharging

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think the Cosworth kit went from "poo poo yeah, poo poo rules" to "oh god your engine is going to explode". It's in the MZR family and seems to hold up to abuse fairly well, but it's no B6/BP which was made for turbocharging.

My experience with the NC is that the interior is fairly nice and laid out, and it handles just like a stock NA with some torque and acceleration behind it. A lot of people bitch about it because it's not the pure Miata experience, but it's a perfectly capable car. (see: Grand Am Street category)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That reminds me, has anyone ever actually tried fitting the turbo 2.3 into a NC? Mazda claims it won't fit due to the high pressure fuel pump, but my gut says a sledge to the firewall will fix that.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

That reminds me, has anyone ever actually tried fitting the turbo 2.3 into a NC? Mazda claims it won't fit due to the high pressure fuel pump, but my gut says a sledge to the firewall will fix that.

During the installation of an RB20 into a 240:

"We need to make an adjustment, the transmission isn't clearing the tunnel"
"Oh? What are you going to do?"
"Clearance the firewall/tunnel, of course"
"Clearance? What's that mean?"
"Sonny, will you hand me that there sledgehammer?"

WHAM-WHAM-WHAM-WHAM-WHAM-WHAM

"Toldja it'd fit"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

IOwnCalculus posted:

Mazda claims it wouldn't fit due to the fact that it would be eons faster than their flagship sports car.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Phone posted:

Mazda claims it wouldn't fit due to the fact that it would be eons faster than their flagship sports car.

The MS3 is already faster than an RX8 in a straight line.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Phone posted:

I think the Cosworth kit went from "poo poo yeah, poo poo rules" to "oh god your engine is going to explode". It's in the MZR family and seems to hold up to abuse fairly well, but it's no B6/BP which was made for turbocharging.

My experience with the NC is that the interior is fairly nice and laid out, and it handles just like a stock NA with some torque and acceleration behind it. A lot of people bitch about it because it's not the pure Miata experience, but it's a perfectly capable car. (see: Grand Am Street category)

Wonder if I would be better off just finding an MSM and modding it than getting an NB and trying to sort through the SC stuff. There are a bunch of kits but reading the forums no one agrees on anything about them

My main draw to the NC was the DSC cause I am a sissy. The keyless driving was nice but unnecessary and there aren't much differences aside from the PRHT which I did not want anyway.

Also, why does Mazda make their 6 speed 6th gear a higher ratio than the 5th gear on the 5 speed :argh:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Nodoze posted:

Also, why does Mazda make their 6 speed 6th gear a higher ratio than the 5th gear on the 5 speed :argh:

Shift at 3500 and drop back to 3000rpm in every gear. The 6speed makes me drive like such a dick.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The MSM is a horrible car to start to modify from because you have to remove all of the factory turbo stuff to get anywhere useful.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nodoze posted:

Judging by the sooty exhaust pipe on every MS3 and RX8 in the parking lot here at work, I'd say it's because Mazda hates gas and wants you to burn all of it.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

So the differential on my '99 exploded. After taking it out and ordering a replacement diff from a 1996 miata, I get the new diff in the mail and its a lot bigger than the one I took off my car. It has a rubber thing behind the driveshaft flange. This is a real 1.8 diff.

So... lol. And gently caress whoever owned this car before me.

Questions:

All I need to make the 1.8 diff work on my '99 is a 94-00 5 speed driveshaft and 99-05 axle shafts right?

Is there a 'left' and 'right' axle shaft or can I just order two 'left' axle shafts. Is there actually a difference? (Ebay people can be retarded)

All this should be fine even if I have a 1.6 transmission, right? I couldn't really tell if I did or not but after pulling a 1.6 diff off my 99 I honestly would not be surprised.

Is there anything else I need to swap a 1.8 differential into my NB? (lol.. that question.. gently caress my life..)

Think I'll run into needing new hardware for anything?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Phone posted:

The MSM is a horrible car to start to modify from because you have to remove all of the factory turbo stuff to get anywhere useful.

What is your opinion on the supercharger kits available for an NB?

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Nodoze posted:

Do you live in California?

No: Turbo.
Yes: Move somewhere else.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Nodoze posted:

Haahahahahaa.

aaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahhhhaa :suicide:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Rotrex is expensive, but dead reliable and underwhelming. Jackson Racing is really bad value for the money and comes with it's own slew of issues. (intercooling? lololol)

That said, gently caress my Miata. I'm going to look at the car buying thread and see what I can come up with. Mazda2, here I come.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I was under this impression this kit was pretty good?

http://www.fastforwardsuperchargers.com/

I was going to get it for my 99 for a while until I decided to sell it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

First Time Caller posted:

Do you live in California?

No: Turbo.
Yes: Move somewhere else.

But I like superchargers :smith:

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Nodoze posted:

But I like superchargers :smith:

The difference in throttle response and the benefit of a 'linear powerband' or whatever people justify superchargers with is very very minimal in these cars. All you're doing is limiting yourself.

I'm pretty sure the only reason people get them is for ease of install. Takes 1 day instead of two with a proper kit.

edit: That said, if I found one for the right price I'd probably put it on my car.

First Time Caller fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

The miata engine bay is too easy to leave tools inside... Was doing some work on the car, went for a drive, came home, tried to put the lights down, left one only went halfway down... a ratchet made its way under the light housing and got stuck there, and the light motor was clamped down on it. At least I get to keep this ratchet :v:

Also replaced the VC gasket, looked like a little bit of a leak going down to the headers... I was losing about a quart/1000m, which I consider well within 'no big deal' territory, but I hope that fixes it or slows it down anyway. I think they changed the gasket style at some point because the new one (from mazda) is twice as beefy.