Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Awkward Davies posted:

Stumbled on this recently. I love how subtly he is able to change the environment with just these wrappings:

Zander Olsen - Tree Line

Haha this is messing with my head so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

That's pretty simple but very effective. I always wondered how fine art photographers get that fine art look to their photos, they havea very recognizable desaturated look to them.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Santa is strapped posted:

I always wondered how fine art photographers get that fine art look to their photos, they havea very recognizable desaturated look to them.

Yeah, they certainly do.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Reichstag posted:

Yeah, they certainly do.

Herein I correct my previous statement to "a lot" instead of all.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

They still show more restraint than people who push the sliders right and make awful over saturated crap. I think the difference is they take photos of highly saturated colours, but not crank the saturation on the photo after, necessarily.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Half the photos in the link you quoted are high contrast and full of saturated color, so I'm a little confused about what you mean.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Reichstag posted:

Half the photos in the link you quoted are high contrast and full of saturated color, so I'm a little confused about what you mean.

I think what he's really asking is "How do I make my images look like they were shot on Kodachrome?"

Which, actually, I'd be interested in. I'm not going to waste Kodachrome actually shooting, but I'd love to be able to do some post on some of my photos and get that retro/"desaturated" feel.

Should I just use Instagram?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Kodachrome is not the "art look".

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Let me restate: choice of film stock, contrast, and saturation are not what make the "art look".

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

TomR posted:

They still show more restraint than people who push the sliders right and make awful over saturated crap. I think the difference is they take photos of highly saturated colours, but not crank the saturation on the photo after, necessarily.

Yes, that is a good way of putting it.

Reichstag posted:

I know what you mean, they are saturated. It's just that a lot of the fine art that I've seen has less saturated colours, clear colours but less saturated I mean. I have previously seen 3 of the 4 links you posted as well, so I do know that there is a lot of saturated fine art photos. Like dukeku said as well, the de/saturation alone does not equal fine art. But the palette that is in the trees photo is what I imagine when I hear fine art.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

It's denigrating to think the medium of an artist is what makes their work art.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

In other news, these are pretty good you guys

http://www.retronaut.co/2011/02/shackletons-antarctica-in-colour-1915/

Buggerlugs
Aug 27, 2003

"All right, Bellamy came on at Liverpool and did well, but everybody
thinks that he's the saviour, he's Jesus Christ. He's not Jesus Christ"
Those Murray Fredericks shots of the Salt Plains are the only photographs that have ever made me instantly want to hang them on my walls. I've very little experience in all this - can you get hold of these things or are these the type of prints that only hang in galleries?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Irina Werning
http://irinawerning.com/back-to-the-fut/back-to-the-future/

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
No idea who took it for I imagine it to be a snapshot. Regardless, it's still amazing.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

HeyEng posted:

No idea who took it for I imagine it to be a snapshot. Regardless, it's still amazing.

Man, that's really cool. I imagine that was fun to watch/feel take off.

It used to be posted on dodmedia.osd.mil with this information:

quote:

A ground-to-air left rear view of an SR-71 Blackbird aircraft taking off from a fog-shrouded runway. The SR-71 is flown by Det. 4, 9th Strategic Reconnaissance Wing, 3rd Air Force, RAF Mildenhall.
Camera Operator: TSGT JOSE LOPEZ
Date Shot: 1 Jan 1983

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Saw this on Gizmodo - this crazy russian chic did an UrbEx shoot in an old, but still active missile factory.

http://lana-sator.livejournal.com/160176.html#cutid1

http://animalnewyork.com/2012/01/urban-exploring-a-russian-rocket-plant/

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
The Denver Post just published Craig Walker's excellent photo story on an Iraq vet returning home and coping with PTSD: http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2012/01/05/captured-welcome-home-the-story-of-scott-ostrom/5172/

And in case you haven't seen it, Walker won a Pulitzer a couple years ago for his story on Ian Fisher: "This is how an American soldier is made. For 27 months, Ian Fisher, his parents and friends, and the U.S. Army allowed Denver Post reporters and a photographer to watch and chronicle his recruitment, induction, training, deployment, and, finally, his return from combat." http://photos.denverpost.com/photoprojects/specialprojects/ianfisher/photochapters.html

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Todd Hido

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

This forum seems to love pointing out terrible photos, let's get some love for good work

Julia Peirone

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

dukeku posted:

This forum seems to love pointing out terrible photos, let's get some love for good work

Julia Peirone

I'm failing to see the awesome anywhere in this series. Todd Hido is sick though.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

What's not awesome about them?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

What's so awesome about them?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Don't Herman Cain me and ask me my question back so you can get your answer.

They're 'awesome' because they're non-typical portraits of teenagers. Rolling eyes, hair twirling, gum popping. Having the intent to go and take a photo of something most people would usually throw out is what makes it special.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

You see, he was trying to capture the subject when they WEREN'T posed. It's like an ironic portrait.

The colors are decent, but the concept is ... I dunno. Every once in awhile when I'm shooting with someone and we're just joking around I'll do it, but I don't think it's compelling enough to do/post a whole series.

Agreed, though - Todd Hido is great.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I understand the concept, but either the execution isn't good enough (they look forced) or the concept isn't strong enough for a whole series. They just seem dull, which is probably the point, but it doesn't come across in a pleasing way.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

dukeku posted:

Todd Hido

This stuff is really cool. I like that there's a consistent tone between the buildings he shoots and his portraits.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I'm a huge fan of Rafael Alcacer's portraits, expecially of his family. Unfortunately, he has no website, and keeps very little up for long on his flickr.

dukeku posted:

This one in particular is fantastic, I'm not crazy about the rest.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Reichstag posted:

I'm a huge fan of Rafael Alcacer's portraits, expecially of his family. Unfortunately, he has no website, and keeps very little up for long on his flickr.

Those are rad awesome

Reichstag posted:

This one in particular is fantastic, I'm not crazy about the rest.

I'm staring at Aperture #205 where there are a few more prints of shots as strong as the linked one (IMO) that aren't posted on her website. I think they fall more into the scoffing teenager style than the ones on her website, which seem to be more 'off'. But maybe it's just because everything looks better in print...

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

(likely a repost, but this is a big thread)

Larry Sultan

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

And another classic, Joel Meyerowitz

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

dukeku posted:

You are going to have to walk me through why these are awesome. They strike me as technically good snapshots. Especially the last one.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Demon_Corsair posted:

You are going to have to walk me through why these are awesome. They strike me as technically good snapshots. Especially the last one.

I don't think the shots are intended to viewed as single images, but as part of an entire series with a singular intention.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Demon_Corsair posted:

What makes a snapshot? What differentiates a haphazard glance and a shutter press from a deliberate, thought-out landscape? Look at the way things are structured in each image - the vanishing point on the horizon, the verticals along frame edges that 'fence' the viewer in, the way different temperatures of light are used to paint splashes of color.

Spedman has a point re: the last image. I tend to like images that are 'portraits' of something that we tend to ignore.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

dukeku posted:

God, I wish I was born about twenty years earlier. I've never seen him, I love it.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Many places exist that still look the same ;)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dukeku posted:

Many places exist that still look the same ;)

Yeah, stuff like that is still all over the place in the midwest.

But you're not gonna get the same cars parked in front of them (or if they are, the tires are gonna be flat and the panels 90% rust.. which would also make a great picture, now that I think about it).

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

One thing to remember about the old color 'art' photos is that they're not usually nostalgic - how can you be nostalgic about the present?

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!
Not anyone specific, but this entire series is pretty much required viewing for anyone with the slightest interest in photography

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v6979965Z5ZpMaRd

From that link you can dig around and see all 6 episodes. It's fascinating and a brilliant eye opener to photography

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The BBC (mostly via BBC4) have done a reasonable number of Photography related documentaries in recent years. Last month there was the Rankin fronted America in Pictures - The Story of Life Magazine (available here) (BBC4 and Rankin have previously teamed up for Seven Photographs that Changed Fashion, and South Africa in Pictures)

• Locked thread