Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
The veloster has its own autovista, which is voiced by generic english guy. Also he gets bored 30 seconds in and starts talking about rhys millens racing career instead of the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I was driving around on base today, and within 30 minutes, I saw an original Mini, a mint '84 Sirocco, and a Fiero. This is even more amazing to me because I'm usually swimming in a sea of pickups, Chargers, and stock Mustangs.

The girl I was driving with gave me a blank stare when I got excited over the VW. I think I've been playing too much Forza.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Idiot race posted:

The veloster has its own autovista, which is voiced by generic english guy. Also he gets bored 30 seconds in and starts talking about rhys millens racing career instead of the car.

Ahahahahah I noticed that too. The Veloster is so boring that he has to talk about concept race cars instead.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I do not regret plopping down 25k credits for a Jurassic Park skin. After beating a bunch of drifters in my Raptor I simply told them I had to go faster.

Any chance of any the future DLC packs containing Bowlers? I have a soft spot for Off-Roaders and trucks and would love to go driving around in a Wild Cat.

quackman
Jan 25, 2004
Chapstick

AaronB posted:

I don't think I'm going to beat my time of 1:11:xxx on the King of the Track Rivals event. It's been 40+ laps now! Guess I'll give it up for now and see what this C.J. Wilson posts.

Are you L Harrison? He's the only one I see on my friends+club list other than me with a time on there of 1:11:x. If not, what's your name so I can add you? I'm popsicleman

AaronB
Jan 9, 2011

quackman posted:

Are you L Harrison? He's the only one I see on my friends+club list other than me with a time on there of 1:11:x. If not, what's your name so I can add you? I'm popsicleman

It's AaronB LLJK. I'm in AUGR, so maybe that's why you don't see me.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

speedtek posted:

I think you may have gone in the wrong direction. I took my Boss 429 back to bone stock and added the rollcage and I'm still 400 lbs underweight.
gently caress. Me.

I did go the wrong way. And my life has been so bugfuck crazy this week, that I stuffed the calculation *and* didn't notice it *and* didn't see your post until today.

I'll fix it. Gimme a sec.

HP * 7.6
TQ * 7.2

So, a 2000 pound car can have 263 HP and 277 Pound/Feet of Torque.

Edmund Honda posted:

There was something about 'simulating' driveline losses by taking 20% off the power figure, did you try that?
We had the same issue with the USTCC rules.
Forza simulates HP at the crank.
The NASA series both require measurement on a Dyno.
Factoring in the estimated "driveline losses" between the two figures you should be able to push 20% MORE horsepower at the Forza-crank than the NASA-spec 9.5 Pounds/HP at the wheel.

Original vs. My Fuckup vs. My Unfuck
O: 1000 pound car / 9.5 LBHP = 105HP
F: 1000 pound car / 11.5 LBHP = 86 HP (wups, wrong way)
U: 1000 pound car / 7.6 LBHP = 131 HP (Now we're cookin' with gas!)

Alternately:
100 HP * 9.5 = 950
100 HP * 11.5 = 1150 (wups!)
100 HP * 7.6 = 760

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

Cry for help from new AUGR member:
Am i doing this "American iron" thing wrong? I took a stock 2002 trans am and did the math, with the horsepower the car makes and all the useless parts i can tack on (18 inch widest wheels) im still about 80 pounds away from the minimum weight, and cant install braking or chassis upgrades because that makes it even lighter. And with no anti rollbar upgrades or brakes im worried about my ability to race cleanly without taking fellow goon racers out.

320 X 11.4 = ~3700 pounds. All stock parts with giant wheels and bodykits (which make it much slower than stock, btw) only bring it up to 3630. Meanwhile someone in a C6 Z06 is going to cream me.
YOu didn't do it wrong. I did the math wrong 15 hours after having 4 hours of sleep.
320HP * 7.6 = 2432 pounds minimum weight
320TQ * 7.2 = 2304 pounds minimum weight

VERTiG0 posted:

Holy christ I have to put decals all over my car? Really? I'm not gonna sit and spend hours making my car look nice. Can I just grab a paint/vinyl setup from the storefront?
The Wednesday Night race I run is not your standard 'pickup/grabass' race. The rules "Forza-ize" a real world series to extent that Forza allows. Different series have different amounts of preparation you need to do.

Here's the Schedule.
...and the rules for each of the series.
Oddly enough, the most restrictive class (NASA Showroom Stock Spec Miata) is a car you can set up in 15 minutes, while series with more open rules (like American Iron) take a lot more time to get a fast car set up.

That said, it's a loving game - so I prioritize "Fun" over "Nitpicking". That said, there are bonus points available for the series that are sufficient that if you're a lovely, lovely driver, but put some time in with the controller working on your car to make it LOOK like a race car (or a goony dickmobile - there are two sets of bonus points available), you don't *have* to be a good driver to be in the running.

I try to keep the "bondo and paint" requirements simple. For American Iron, one of the AUGR goons has the NASA and American Iron stickers in their Storefront, and a search will turn them up right away. The TOYO sticker comes with the game, and that leaves slapping a set of readable numbers on your car. There are a few of us who put some more time into it than that. I finally settled on an overall "team" look, and created a decal set that I can slap on just about any car in about 20 minutes.

Hope that settles some of your questions. :)

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 11, 2012

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Jabs posted:

gently caress. Me.

I did go the wrong way. And my life has been so bugfuck crazy this week, that I stuffed the calculation *and* didn't notice it *and* didn't see your post until today.

I'll fix it. Gimme a sec.

HP * 7.6
TQ * 7.2

So, a 2000 pound car can have 263 HP and 277 Pound/Feet of Torque.

Holy balls this changes everything :psyduck:

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

quackman posted:

1:13.980

Posted to Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/xbox?sk=app_268350869893912

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Used MasterSchaf's ghost to find a decent line and get above CJ by four-tenths. Looking forward to my free car. :D

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Holy balls this changes everything :psyduck:
Yeah. Room for more go-fast parts on most of the cars.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Ether Frenzy posted:

The newest firmware will fix all of those issues with the lack of feedback around the center (which is what makes it very difficult to recover rear end grip loss with greater than 270 steering degree options) - 721b is amazingly improved over 715, and 715 was better than what's currently available for CSR/Porsche wheels.

I thought the weak FF around the center is Forza's problem, a result of the non-linear mapping? If the firmware improves that noticeably, that's good to hear. I just hope we CSR users don't have to wait much longer, right now it seems like they only care about the Elite.

Bentai posted:

Used MasterSchaf's ghost to find a decent line and get above CJ by four-tenths. Looking forward to my free car. :D

Glad I could help. My guys will get in contact with your guys regarding payment.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

BlackLaser posted:

I've got a 1:10.0xx in that event... I saw I was above L Harrison and I my face went :supaburn:

GT is CaseFace McGeee if you want to follow my line

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

CaseFace McGee posted:

I've got a 1:10.0xx in that event... I saw I was above L Harrison and I my face went :supaburn:

GT is CaseFace McGeee if you want to follow my line

Yes because im whoring it for credits. The time I posted is nowhere near what I can do. :c00lbert:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

L_Harrison posted:

Yes because im whoring it for credits. The time I posted is nowhere near what I can do. :c00lbert:

I assumed so, I just want to take advantage of being faster than you for the limited amount of time it'll be that way.

EDIT: I'm also eagerly waiting to follow your fast line to improve my own time - gently caress that first corner

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 11, 2012

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

GhostDog posted:

I thought the weak FF around the center is Forza's problem, a result of the non-linear mapping? If the firmware improves that noticeably, that's good to hear. I just hope we CSR users don't have to wait much longer, right now it seems like they only care about the Elite.

Glad I could help. My guys will get in contact with your guys regarding payment.

Apparently they had to put everything else on hold (at least according to Thomas on 911wheel.de) to fix the CSR-Elite firmware because it was fundamentally broken by the Forza update that came out while the CSR-Elite was shipping en route to the US/Europe, and they felt that getting that wheel working AT ALL was a priority (that is, rather than the CSR/PWTS being neglected due to being less pricey, etc. The neglect theory just doesn't gibe at all with how I've experienced Fanatec support.)

Sounds like now that the CSR-E is fixed sufficiently with the beta 721, they will be working on the CSR/PWTS issues with greater-than-270-degree settings in Forza. I also know from owning Fanatec gear for a couple years now that Thomas & Co certainly take seriously the enjoyment and continued support for their customers, and the CSR/CSR-E firmwares can't be too dissimilar so I would expect updates for the CSR (at least) "soon".

The weak FF around the center is indeed a problem with Forza as other games don't exhibit the same issues even with the factory 706 firmware, but the Fanatec firmware engineers are truly good at their jobs because they have dialed all of that out in F4 without needing much onboard tuning/tweaking in 721b. I was really pretty happy with 715, and just left gobsmacked by 721.

This thread helps illustrate the gulf between 715 and 721 from a new owner's POV:
http://www.insidesimracing.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=149&t=6076&sid=33d8fcc880b2131ed0982df364c6c671

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Jabs, did you left the 1996 Impala SS off your car list because of its suspension? Or is it eligible and just off the list?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Based on that facebook page, L Harrison gets a free jacket at the end of the month.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
How do you register for the Hyundai Veloster: FM4 Championship rivals challenge? When I try to access it it says it's "only for registered Forza Motorsport 4 players." Yet it does not give you any instructions on where to register.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Do you live outside of the U.S.? I don't think non-U.S. people are suppose to be able to access it.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

I said come in! posted:

Do you live outside of the U.S.? I don't think non-U.S. people are suppose to be able to access it.

Yet it still shows up in the monthly Rivals. Dick move, T10.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

How do you register for the Hyundai Veloster: FM4 Championship rivals challenge? When I try to access it it says it's "only for registered Forza Motorsport 4 players." Yet it does not give you any instructions on where to register.

Registration closed two days ago. You had to download a gamer picture to enter.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

wolrah posted:

Registration closed two days ago. You had to download a gamer picture to enter.

... ooh :( That means I can't do it either. I didn't even know you were suppose to do this and I really wanted to get in on trying it.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

GOD IS BED posted:

Jabs, did you left the 1996 Impala SS off your car list because of its suspension? Or is it eligible and just off the list?
The Impala wasn't in the game when I compiled that list...so yeah, it should be there.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Yea what the hell, I didn't know about this Veloster challenge either. :(

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Jabs posted:

The Impala wasn't in the game when I compiled that list...so yeah, it should be there.

Sweeeet.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

L_Harrison posted:

:ohdear:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PopeOnARope posted:

Yet it still shows up in the monthly Rivals. Dick move, T10.

When the game first came out there was a BMW M5 rivals challenge to beat some guy's time. But it was for Germans only and it showed up for everyone.

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

Hello Spaceman posted:

You mean like two posts above yours?

I suck at reading comprehension apparently :(

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I'm shocked that the UK hasn't had it's own competition rivals, seeing as we're the motorsport capital of the world and all. :(

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Falken posted:

I'm shocked that the UK hasn't had it's own competition rivals, seeing as we're the motorsport capital of the world and all. :(

there's a bigass thread on the forza forums about this right now and it basically boils down to: american video game manufacturer with own legal team finds international gambling & competition law quite hard work :f5h::f5:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Weren't the first two rival competitions based in Germany and France?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Falken posted:

Weren't the first two rival competitions based in Germany and France?

The german one was a special event together with BMW for german residents only. They had some time trial competition and the 16 best lappers went to BMW headquarters for a final race against each other. Winner got a 2012 BMW M5.

Pinky the Cube
Jul 21, 2010

GhostDog posted:

I drive with simulation steering. I tried going back to normal, but it feels like that does more than just help with spin recovery, the cars just feel livelier under sim steering.

I recently switched to simulation steering and it resulted in me learning things. After repeatedly losing control on corners I decided to hit up drivingfast.net to find out what I was doing wrong. Oh hey, turns out that downshifting during the turn is dumb. Yes, I know, I'm new.

I took all that I learned from that article and beat CJWilson's time with it, using simulation steering and no assists. I feel pretty drat good about it, too.

I guess my point is that Forza 4 and this thread have made me a better person.

Pinky the Cube fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 11, 2012

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Pinky the Cube posted:

I recently switched to simulation steering and it resulted in me learning things. After repeatedly losing control on corners I decided to hit up drivingfast.net to find out what I was doing wrong. Oh hey, turns out that downshifting during the turn is dumb. Yes, I know, I'm new.

I took all that I learned from that article and beat CJWilson's time with it, using simulation steering and no assists. I feel pretty drat good about it, too.

It is so goddamn satisfying to turn off an assist that you've always had on, then go and do something awesome like beat a rivals time that you couldn't beat before.

Also, PUMPED for this week's GTCC spec - Gentleman's luxury sports cars. I've got it narrowed down to a Jaaaaag and this Caddy:

EDIT: click to enbiggen

Not sure which one I'll be running yet, but I spent long enough making that Jag head that I said "gently caress it" and put it on the Cadillac too.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 11, 2012

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

CaseFace McGee posted:

It is so goddamn satisfying to turn off an assist that you've always had on, then go and do something awesome like beat a rivals time that you couldn't beat before.

Also, PUMPED for this week's GTCC spec - Gentleman's luxury sports cars. I've got it narrowed down to a Jaaaaag and this Caddy:

EDIT: click to enbiggen

Not sure which one I'll be running yet, but I spent long enough making that Jag head that I said "gently caress it" and put it on the Cadillac too.

drat, that's hot.

Jabs - thanks for fixing the formula. I may race tonight, again depends on my work departure time. I've also got some serious drinking to catch up on with a friend of mine though...

Big Sal Graziano
May 10, 2011

by Ozmaugh
My goal in life in this game is to buy all the anime car skins. All of them. Until I have enough and I can go online and just troll by cruising in my anime cars.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Pinky the Cube posted:

Normal steering makes it easier for me to drive cars on the gamepad kind of like I'd drive a real car, but you lose a lot of useful feedback because damps out the inputs so much. With Simulation steering I really notice the difference between a squishy 4,000 pound sedan and a high-strung sports car, and subtle handling changes that come from playing with the suspension, it makes the game so much more interesting that it was worth not being able to drive as smoothly to me. I have no idea how it works with a wheel, I read somewhere the wheels are intended to be used with normal steering only for some reason

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

BlackLaser posted:

FFFFFF...gotta find a second somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinky the Cube
Jul 21, 2010
That King of the Track app is still reporting my old track time and it's driving me crazy. Refresh, drat you!

• Locked thread