Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Nahhh you're not. There's just a whole lotta cheerleaders itt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Cool Blue Reason posted:

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't like Empros. It was just so dull and derivative to me.

I've been pretty ambivalent about everything since their first album. They went in a much heavier direction I'm just not as interested in.

e: I can't really fault them for that, though -- 'not my style' covers probably half the bands mentioned in here, but I can't call them 'bad'.

WoG fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 5, 2011

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Cool Blue Reason posted:

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't like Empros. It was just so dull and derivative to me.

I was pretty cold to Empros until I heard Russian Circles perform some of the tracks in a live setting. The album 'clicked' for me then and now I like it more than Geneva. So much of more of the material is in the looped feedback and bass and doesn't really come through listening to the album casually.

I still think Enter and Station were stronger albums.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Anyone listen to *Shels' Plains of the Purple Buffalo?

It's an amazing album. Definitely one of my AOTY.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Yeah, that really is a fantastic album. It's like rock opera.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

WASDF posted:

Absolutely stunning album, anyone know anything similar?

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

As a matter of fact, I do.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

WASDF posted:

I think I've only listened to it a couple of times but I absolutely love the artwork.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Thanks for mentioning that. Absolutely incredible album.

timebandit
Mar 22, 2004

WASDF posted:

Dude, thank you from the bottom of my heart. Thread winner.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
http://thesilentballet.com/ has started doing their year-end feature and while I'm sure we could have a whole discussion about whether or not we agree with their rankings, the more important thing to me is how many great releases I've missed this year. I'm a fan of LITE and yet I had no idea they released an album this year. Same with The Applessed Cast, I really liked Sagarmatha so I'm excited to hear the Middle States EP. It will be a few more days until the entire list is up but I can't wait to see what else I've been missing out on.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

homewrecker posted:

http://thesilentballet.com/ has started doing their year-end feature and while I'm sure we could have a whole discussion about whether or not we agree with their rankings, the more important thing to me is how many great releases I've missed this year. I'm a fan of LITE and yet I had no idea they released an album this year. Same with The Applessed Cast, I really liked Sagarmatha so I'm excited to hear the Middle States EP. It will be a few more days until the entire list is up but I can't wait to see what else I've been missing out on.

I feel bad calling myself a post-rock enthusiast yet only having heard like 5 or 6 of the albums mentioned in this list. But then I think about all the releases Silent Ballet reviews and how only a handful of them at most are really worth checking out, and then I don't feel as bad anymore.

Appleseed Cast released a new EP though? poo poo, I need to get on that! Sagarmatha was great but I haven't listened to it nearly as many times all the way through as I feel I probably should.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I feel bad calling myself a post-rock enthusiast yet only having heard like 5 or 6 of the albums mentioned in this list. But then I think about all the releases Silent Ballet reviews and how only a handful of them at most are really worth checking out, and then I don't feel as bad anymore.

Well to be fair, that list isn't exclusively post-rock releases, there seem to be quite a few albums from ambient or electronic artists (as well as some stuff that falls under other sub-genres). So I imagine that even the biggest post-rock fans probably have never heard of a large number of artists on that list. Still, I felt the need to link to it because it was their 2005 year-end list that got me listening to post-rock so there may be some good releases on there that fit this thread.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've found Johnnytwentythree, Joy Wants Eternity, Ef, Long Distance Calling, Destroyalldreamers and a few others through Silent Ballet that I really dig. But in my experience, there are more "meh" artists on there than real standouts, and looking up all the artists they recommend is weeding through a heap of unimpressive stuff to get to a gem here and there.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I've found Johnnytwentythree, Joy Wants Eternity, Ef, Long Distance Calling, Destroyalldreamers and a few others through Silent Ballet that I really dig. But in my experience, there are more "meh" artists on there than real standouts, and looking up all the artists they recommend is weeding through a heap of unimpressive stuff to get to a gem here and there.

That makes sense. And now that they're covering a wider range of genres, it only makes it more difficult to sort through it all to find stuff that you're interested in.

But yeah, anyway, I finished listening to the new LITE album and I really enjoy it. If you've enjoyed their last few EPs (Turns Red and Illuminate) then you will certainly enjoy For All The Innocence.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Don't remember where I found this since I don't really follow that site, but the post-rock column on there also posted their top albums of the year. It's all top 5s so a lot easier to digest: http://thesilentballet.com/dnn/Home/tabid/36/ctl/Details/mid/367/ItemID/4592/Default.aspx

Their top two breakthrough albums are my favs from this year too, so I'm gonna have to dig through the others.

Edit: Oh wait, now I remember where I saw it. On Tangled Thoughts' blog. :v:

Henry Fungletrumpet fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 30, 2011

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
Dear post-rock thread,

http://www.industriesoftheblindmusic.com/

(or stream it from their FB page, http://www.facebook.com/industriesoftheblind?sk=app_2405167945 )

That is all.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jan 11, 2012

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

WASDF posted:

Like so many others, THANK YOU. This is such a fantastic album.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

joelcamefalling posted:

Dear post-rock thread,

http://www.industriesoftheblindmusic.com/

(or stream it from their FB page, http://www.facebook.com/industriesoftheblind?sk=app_2405167945 )

That is all.

This is lovely.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Yeah Industries of the Blind are fantastic. That LP makes me really excited about the prospect of a full album.

Speaking of which, when the heck is Pirate Ship Quintet gonna release their album anyway?

Also: Does anybody know what Yndi Halda are doing these days?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I'm not sure if this is the correct place, but didn't want to make a thread for it: Is it true At the Drive-In has gotten back together?

llibja
Sep 13, 2007

^^ Yes, we've been talking about it in the TMV thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430946

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

llibja posted:

^^ Yes, we've been talking about it in the TMV thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430946

Thanks!

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I just listened to Mono's Hymn to the Immortal Wind.

I didn't really care for the music all too much, it was a little generic. However, the story was pretty interesting I thought. From my understanding, it had to do with kids who made a promise to meet each other once again and then killed themselves, were reborn, forgot about their promise and then years later remembered and something?

Basically LOST.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
So here's a thing.

Tickets are like 60 quid, I would loving love to go to this so I hope I don't have any work to do in the lead up to exams except revision.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Nuclear Spoon posted:

So here's a thing.

Tickets are like 60 quid, I would loving love to go to this so I hope I don't have any work to do in the lead up to exams except revision.

Holy poo poo, that lineup :stare:

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
I loving know, right?

dawio
Jun 1, 2004

I'm really enjoying this thread. I've been on a massive post-rock kick for the last few years and I just don't tire of it.

Nuclear Spoon posted:

So here's a thing.

That looks awesome.

dawio fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 21, 2021

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Heads up for those Plains of the Purple Buffalo fans. The record is on sale on *Shels' site once again, but it's $50. As much as I love that album, I'd suggest not buying it until the re-press they said they will do sometime during or soon after February.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
In case anyone's interested, Ben Sharp aka Cloudkicker did an AMA and answered a shitload of questions. Looks like he's still answering, actually.

http://www.reddit.com/r/postrock/comments/ojmhg/hello_i_am_a_ben_sharp_that_makes_music_for_a/

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.
These guys may have been mentioned before, but Jakob is an amazing three-piece effort from New Zealand. Jeff Boyle's riffage sends chills down my spine, every goddamn time.

Oran Mor.

Atlas Moth fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jan 17, 2012

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Been listening to the new Crippled Black Phoenix lately. Noticeable change of style but I happen to love it so far! 70s-prog almost in some songs.

This song is so good.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

21 Hoot Salute posted:

Been listening to the new Crippled Black Phoenix lately. Noticeable change of style but I happen to love it so far! 70s-prog almost in some songs.

This song is so good.

Aw drat that is indeed so good. Will have to find me some more CBP.

Here's a few bands I've been enjoying recently:

Sioum.
Bridges of Königsberg.
Connectedness Locus.

Best part of all this is that the digital versions of these albums are all pay-what-you-want.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

Atlas Moth posted:

These guys may have been mentioned before, but Jakob is an amazing three-piece effort from New Zealand. Jeff Boyle's riffage sends chills down my spine, every goddamn time.

Oran Mor.

Love these guys, only partly owing to the fact that I'm a kiwi. Actually a bigger fan of Subsets than any other album, even though Solace has incredible production I don't enjoy the writing quite as much. I mean, you have to love the dreamy bass on A Moment From Different Angles, or the slinky guitar on The Collar Sets Well.

Just reminded me that I missed an opportunity to see them supporting Isis, shortly before they broke up (edit: I mean before Isis broke up, not Jakob :v:). Something I will never, ever let myself live down. :smith:

Edit: Just remembered another thing, if only because it's some of my favourite road trip music alongside Jakob and Isis - the Death Note Soundtracks. That's plural, as there's 3 of them. Yeah, it's from an anime, but it's pretty relevant to this thread. There's some orchestral and electronic stuff on there, but much of it is guitar-centric and pretty post-rocky, especially on the first album. The only turn-off (at least personally) is the tinny sounding drums, but the composition is fantastic, not to mention incredibly catchy. Here are a few examples, all from album #1.

Henry Fungletrumpet fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 2, 2012

phnuggle
Sep 21, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Saw EITS on Sunday night again. Superb as expected.

Kraxis
May 14, 2007
Were they twenty quid good though? I could go see them in Brixton on Friday, but that's a lot of cash for a poor jobless student.

phnuggle
Sep 21, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
They haven't played here in like 3 year and I missed that last one so I'd be waiting a long time for this gig and was happy to pay. Played just under 2 hours or so, I really really enjoyed it. I wouldn't worry if you are too late to catch the support act though, they didn't blow me away.

Medical
Apr 16, 2010

by T. Fine
Errors has a new album that you can stream here.
http://drownedinsound.com/news/4144367-album-stream--errors-have-some-faith-in-magic

They're on Mogwai's Rock Action label because Mogwai likes them. They're kind of like Battles without the math, or a dancier 65daysofstatic.

Medical fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jan 25, 2012

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

Text.

I'm pretty partial to Subsets as well. I even recorded a mini-machinima with Aural in mind. Check it out if you want.

Sad to hear that they broke up, I really do think they were one of a kind. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com
Hey guys, my band Spaces (https://www.spacescold.com) is doing a give away of our album. We recently broke 900 likes and are in the home stretch to our goal of 1000. Every 10th new person to like our Facebook page will get a free digital download of our album. If you haven't liked the page yet, nows the time! And if you have (thank you), tell your friends and help them get some new music for free!

Our site where you can hear our music: http://www.spacescold.com
Our FB page: http://www.facebook.com/spacesmusic