Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Saint Sputnik posted:

Here's the details on HC:
http://support.rockstargames.com/entries/20515988-information-about-hardcore-mode-in-red-dead-redemption

So, harder, but not immersive the way I want - New Vegas style, having to eat, drink and sleep.

e: \/\/\/ I'd only enjoy the lowered loot drops if John vents his frustrations every single time like in Undead Nightmare.

Exclusive to the GOTY? That's... unfortunate. Hoping after a bit of time they'll do a DLC of some sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Hardcore mode isn't really all that big a deal after all. It's good that it makes people play with expert targeting, because that's essential. The only thing it really adds is making Marsten more susceptible to damage, but frankly the better way to make the game more of a challenge is to play without deadeye and items. I found normal health but no use of deadeye and items more difficult (and fun) than being weaker but being able to spam medicine and slow-mo shots ever would have been.

Plus they left the map on, and we've already covered how turning that off is the most immersive thing ever.

It's triple XP again this Wednesday by the way.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
So if I get the GOTY version for Hardcore mode, does that mean I have to earn all the achievements over again? It doesn't look like it but it's essentially a different build of the game with a different mode and new hideout, so...

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Peas and Rice posted:

So if I get the GOTY version for Hardcore mode, does that mean I have to earn all the achievements over again? It doesn't look like it but it's essentially a different build of the game with a different mode and new hideout, so...

Achievements are the same.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Parkingtigers posted:

Hardcore mode isn't really all that big a deal after all. It's good that it makes people play with expert targeting, because that's essential. The only thing it really adds is making Marsten more susceptible to damage, but frankly the better way to make the game more of a challenge is to play without deadeye and items. I found normal health but no use of deadeye and items more difficult (and fun) than being weaker but being able to spam medicine and slow-mo shots ever would have been.

Plus they left the map on, and we've already covered how turning that off is the most immersive thing ever.

It's triple XP again this Wednesday by the way.

I have to agree with this. I'm about half-way through Mexico on my Hardcore playthrough. You absolutely have to use Dead-Eye because you can be killed in literally one or two shots. It's even more immersion breaking when you have to play a mission 5 times to beat it.

I tried to resist using Dead-Eye and generally don't unless I'm on a stagecoach, train, or horse. Any time I can't control Marston well is when I let myself use Dead-Eye. Otherwise I'm enjoying the tweaks to the economy (though at this point I'm still flush with cash), but unscripted duels are now challenging as gently caress, I hardly win them. Anyone experience that?

fake edit:

Jubs posted:

I am.

Gamertag: Jub Jub V1

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Me too. XBL = PopeCorkytheIX

I'll add you guys tonight. XBL = DrunkenEngineer

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Actually, never mind. I sold it to someone for $20 yesterday.

I've been selling games to people lately after realizing I haven't played them in more than two months. So far I haven't said "poo poo, I shouldn't have gotten rid of that, now I want to play it" yet. I end up with six or seven games sitting on a shelf while I only play what recently came out or something that's a favorite. Maybe it's because I'm married and in my late 20s now, but I see it as money sitting on that shelf. I'm down to 'Forza 4', 'GTA IV', 'Lips', 'You Don't Know Jack' and I'm getting 'Battlefield 3' this Tuesday.

Not sure why I needed that whole story just to let you know I won't be playing this game with you...

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
I just picked up the GOTY edition for PS3, and the actual console too so im new to the whole thing, but the GOTY edition doesn't seem to come with the DLC as promised? Has anyone else bought it yet? Im guessing there was supposed to be a code in the box, because on the PSN store all the DLC is there with $ signs next to it.

Is there something im missing, could the DLC be preloaded and I just dont know it? Im basing my assumption on that the DLC is still for sale, and I cant see the new outfits, golden guns or warhorse.

PSN- A_GUN_SHOTTER :)

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Tentacle Party posted:

I just picked up the GOTY edition for PS3, and the actual console too so im new to the whole thing, but the GOTY edition doesn't seem to come with the DLC as promised? Has anyone else bought it yet? Im guessing there was supposed to be a code in the box, because on the PSN store all the DLC is there with $ signs next to it.

Is there something im missing, could the DLC be preloaded and I just dont know it? Im basing my assumption on that the DLC is still for sale, and I cant see the new outfits, golden guns or warhorse.

PSN- A_GUN_SHOTTER :)

I actually have'nt played in a while but I'm pretty sure when you load it up you can press triangle perhaps and it tells you what DLC is loaded.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

Corzaa posted:

I actually have'nt played in a while but I'm pretty sure when you load it up you can press triangle perhaps and it tells you what DLC is loaded.

I found out I can turn golden guns on from the config, so mystery solved, it seems the DLC is auto loaded with the initial install.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Odd question for you all- any idea where I can find some tutorials on achieving the Red Dead Redemption art style in Photoshop? Google doesn't give me anything helpful (except for one really unhelpful Youtube tutorial by a little kid).

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

melon cat posted:

Odd question for you all- any idea where I can find some tutorials on achieving the Red Dead Redemption art style in Photoshop? Google doesn't give me anything helpful (except for one really unhelpful Youtube tutorial by a little kid).

Does this help at all?

http://www.gamespot.com/red-dead-redemption/forum/messages/platform/xbox360?tag=topics;title&topic_id=m-1-55077518&pid=957922

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

melon cat posted:

Here's a quick lovely thing I did for the background: Here

I got really lazy near the end with the brushes and the foreground but yup maybe it will help.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Gardias posted:

Here's a quick lovely thing I did for the background: Here

I got really lazy near the end with the brushes and the foreground but yup maybe it will help.
I actually ended up finding some stock photos and increasing their exposure, then "painted" the red over the images using a paintroller PS brush. Thanks for the resources any way! I'll give them both a go and compare.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Rockstar Games posted:

QUAD XP is live in Red Dead Redemption for the next four days, be sure to restart your console for it to take effect: http://rsg.ms/vOS7WN
For anyone needing to level up to 50, this holiday weekend would be the one to do it. Double XP is one thing to make a significant level grind but Quad makes it effortless.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Robnoxious posted:

For anyone needing to level up to 50, this holiday weekend would be the one to do it. Double XP is one thing to make a significant level grind but Quad makes it effortless.

Is there anyway to do this solo or do i have to run a posse?

Edit: Rather, what's the BEST way to do it solo/with pubbies? Because I never cared or it but if there's a related achievement, and/or more content to get from it, I might as well eke it out

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

That's a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
So I finally got a PS3 for Christmas! Been playing and loving Red Dead. Had a 5 minute play online and was wondering is it the same as GTA where you basically do what you want over the land? I noticed there were teams but didn't really get what was going on, apart from being killed repeatedly by a Mexican man.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Pretty much. The free roam has gang hideouts and hunting. If you're getting griefed, you can go into friendly free-roam. Did you get the GOTY edition of the game with all the expansion packs? This offers more online options (Shootouts, poker, capture the flag, etc). There's also a lot of free DLC on the PSN.

I went online last night for the first time in months, and I was surprised to see that this game still has a fairly active online community. It's good to know that there are still plenty of people enjoying this game.

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Pretty much. The free roam has gang hideouts and hunting. If you're getting griefed, you can go into friendly free-roam. Did you get the GOTY edition of the game with all the expansion packs? This offers more online options (Shootouts, poker, capture the flag, etc). There's also a lot of free DLC on the PSN.

I went online last night for the first time in months, and I was surprised to see that this game still has a fairly active online community. It's good to know that there are still plenty of people enjoying this game.

Sounds fun if you're on with a few mates VS other randoms. Only got the standard edition I think, didn't notice any codes to look up, but i will check out the DLC.

I'm caught between Red Dead and GTA 4 + stories.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Someone mind explaining to me why 102 people have placed offers on this?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Huh, didn't know they had a special edition.

Maybe it's just ultra rare?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Huh, didn't know they had a special edition.

Maybe it's just ultra rare?

Pretty sure it's just what a pre ordered Redemption looks like, don't know if they all came with the cardboard sleeve.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

KungFu Grip posted:

Pretty sure it's just what a pre ordered Redemption looks like, don't know if they all came with the cardboard sleeve.

It's the Gamestop pre-order, that's the version of the game I have. Who knows why anyone would buy something that only contains the dead eye outfit when you can buy that and everything from the game for less than 10 dollars worth of dlc.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I ended up getting the GOTY version because I was going to do an Expert-aim, no-minimap playthrough anyway, and I figured doing it in full-on Hardcore mode would be the way to go.

Only problem I'm having is that I notice texture pop-in a lot more for some reason. I had the old version installed to my Hard Drive just to save wear and tear on my optical drive, but would that help with the texture pop? I see it mostly in large panoramics on far-away cliff and such and it really ruins immersion.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I deleted a couple of old games, did the install, and it doesn't help the texture pop at all.

Goddamn though is Hardcore mode... hard. Not in a frustrating or un-fun way (at least, not yet) but pretty much any time the bullets start flying you'd better be hiding or in dead eye, because otherwise you're going to be shot down.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Since the site linked in the OP is dead, I'll ask here. Is there any other place for PS3 goons to meet up and play together? I've just started playing multiplayer and having trouble with people on all public games.

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

TheLoser posted:

Since the site linked in the OP is dead, I'll ask here. Is there any other place for PS3 goons to meet up and play together? I've just started playing multiplayer and having trouble with people on all public games.

I'd also like to know this!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I got an X-box for Christmas, so I bought myself the Game of the Year edition of this recently, and I'm really enjoying it (I think I'm coming to the end of the Mexico part).

John might be one of the most fascinating and morally ambigous video game characters I've ever played as - the writing for him is top notch.

Though after playing this and Dead Rising 2: Off the Record, I have disocvered that I'm awful at Poker :( Liar's Dice is great fun though.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Man, every time I see new posts in this thread I think for a brief moment that news has arrived of a PC version.

Some day. :smith:

(I mainly want a PC version so I can get at the data files and make shotguns work properly arghhh)

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I would LOVE to see what kind of mods would come out for the PC version. Just thinking of the bouncing horse glitches, the possibilities are endless! :allears:

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
I've been popping online in this for the past few days and I keep noticing a message coming up in the corner of the screen saying Double XP has been activated in multiplayer, then immediately afterwards, Double XP has been deactivated, thanks for playing!

I feel like all the updates and DLC have bugged out this game since the last time I played it, which was last year some time. Does Rockstar even still support this game, or did the dump it to move onto LA Noire and now Max Payne 3?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Every so often Rockstar will turn on double/triple/quadruple XP, I think there was one fairly recently.

Also I'd gladly pay for DLC or whatever for an alternate ending. I know why the game ends the way it does, but it's so drat depressing :smith:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

They already release the alternate ending DLC, it's called Undead Nightmare, you should check it out.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Yeah I know, but the ending to that one is also kinda lame :argh:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

I actually really like how it ended. I do feel that Marston only gets resurrected because it'd be lame as gently caress to pay for an open world DLC you can only play for a few hours.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

I wish you could get the Semi-Auto Shotgun without beating the game first. :sigh:

(Edit: If you can't tell from the quote, I'm talking about Undead Nightmare)

Morter fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 6, 2012

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
I'm pretty sure you can. You just buy it in Escalera, don't you?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

fennesz posted:

I actually really like how it ended. I do feel that Marston only gets resurrected because it'd be lame as gently caress to pay for an open world DLC you can only play for a few hours.

Yeah true, I just really like John's voice. It's why I was excited for Undead Nightmare because YAY NO MORE SIXTEEN YEAR OLD TRYING TO SOUND LIKE A HARDASS WEEEE oh I'm a zombie now and just gurgle, drat.

(Should we still be spoilering stuff? I don't want to ruin anything cause this game is still awesome as poo poo, but it's been nearly a year :shobon:)

E:

DLC that brought the Undead Nightmare poo poo over to the main game would be awesome. I wanna roll around in my pimp outfit with a pump shotgun full of slugs and ride my flaming horse around :snoop:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Can you use a shotgun with slugs in the Undead Nightmare (single player) game?

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

(Should we still be spoilering stuff? I don't want to ruin anything cause this game is still awesome as poo poo, but it's been nearly a year :shobon:)

This game came out in 2010 actually. drat that kinda flew by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Morter posted:

Can you use a shotgun with slugs in the Undead Nightmare (single player) game?

No :( They're only in the undead overrun mode and never last long enough :argh:

Bloodcider posted:

This game came out in 2010 actually. drat that kinda flew by.

What the hell, how did I lose a year :psyduck:

• Locked thread