Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I guess I'm biased by already having an '11. I don't think I care for most of the changes on the '13. The taillights look kinda gimmicky and I also could take or leave the GT500 style nose. I do like the reduction in black plastic lower body cladding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

oRenj9 posted:

New; there are quite a few links a few pages back of brand new GTs going for well under $30k. I think the cheapest in my area was in the $25k range.

Recently released used cars are almost universally a rip off.

I've never really looked at the market for them, but yeah I guess you're right. If I were getting a 2011+ at this point it seems like buying new would actually be the best route.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Number_6 posted:

I guess I'm biased by already having an '11. I don't think I care for most of the changes on the '13. The taillights look kinda gimmicky and I also could take or leave the GT500 style nose. I do like the reduction in black plastic lower body cladding.

I like the pinched look of the front of the 2011, to me it looks more modern. The 2013 is nice but I think the back looks kinda cheap. It's just too much for me.

Not to say that if I were in the market in the next few months I wouldn't be 100% down with it but I'm happy to own the one I have.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

hayden. posted:

I've never really looked at the market for them, but yeah I guess you're right. If I were getting a 2011+ at this point it seems like buying new would actually be the best route.

Why? What would be wrong with a used 2011?

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

HiddenReplaced posted:

Why? What would be wrong with a used 2011?

They are more expensive than a new 2012 in many cases (or close enough that a new car wins out).

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I don't even understand the logic behind it. In many states you still have to pay sales tax on used cars, even when you buy them from private parties.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

oRenj9 posted:

They are more expensive than a new 2012 in many cases (or close enough that a new car wins out).

Wow. I'd heard the used car market was lovely, but I didn't realize how lovely.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
This is a cross-post from the new cars thread, but it looks like a turbo Mustang has been confirmed.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/ford-c...r+and+Driver%29

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Return of the SVO. It's a good time to like cars.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

oRenj9 posted:

This is a cross-post from the new cars thread, but it looks like a turbo Mustang has been confirmed.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/ford-c...r+and+Driver%29

Ford Australia are about to release the 2.0lt Ecoboost motor in the Falcon, which has the same north/south engine orientation as the Mustang, so makes sense. So far the previews for the Ecoboost Falcon have been pretty favourable.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Return of the SVO. It's a good time to like cars.

Yeah this is awesome. I'm curious though, what kind of mileage should we be expecting out of this thing? That said turbo Mustangs are loving sweet.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I wonder if, when that thing is tweaked up to 400hp or so, if it'll have a very narrow torque peak. I like the idea of a 4, with possibly even more balance than the V6, but if getting more power out of it makes the motor less fun, that'd suck.

And it's still gotta be more expensive to buy the Ecoboost and tune it up to GT levels than buying the GT, right? Can't see just a tune getting it to foh hunnert.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

kimbo305 posted:

And it's still gotta be more expensive to buy the Ecoboost and tune it up to GT levels than buying the GT, right? Can't see just a tune getting it to foh hunnert.

That all depends on the internals. If they build these engines with good parts you are going to see some nutty numbers. The turbo 4banger guys are doing ridiculous stuff with those little Ford engines and they have some of the most garbage intakes, electronic systems, fuel injection, and heads.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Anyone know how much the ecoboost 4 weighs? I wonder how much lighter it is compared to the NA V6. I doubt it's a huge number, but I'm wondering if it would have an effect.

That and I think I read somewhere (correct me if I'm wrong), but isn't the 5.0 getting a bump up to 420 hp in 2013? That would leave a bit more room between an ecoboost V6 and the V8.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

I wonder if, when that thing is tweaked up to 400hp or so, if it'll have a very narrow torque peak. I like the idea of a 4, with possibly even more balance than the V6, but if getting more power out of it makes the motor less fun, that'd suck.

Hasn't it been hypothesized for the past couple of years that probably the 2015 GT will be a turboed V6? Maybe then they can add AWD and call it a Mustang GT-ARRRRG :haw:?

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

As Nero Danced posted:

Anyone know how much the ecoboost 4 weighs? I wonder how much lighter it is compared to the NA V6. I doubt it's a huge number, but I'm wondering if it would have an effect.

That and I think I read somewhere (correct me if I'm wrong), but isn't the 5.0 getting a bump up to 420 hp in 2013? That would leave a bit more room between an ecoboost V6 and the V8.

Yeah it's getting 420 horsepower.

The V6 in the F150 makes like 365 so it's right in the middle of the V6 now and the V8. With 365 horsepower you're talking about a car that's a good tune away from the GT. It's just too close.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

As Nero Danced posted:

I don't know how heavy the Mustang V6 is, but Ford reports that the Ecoboost is 60kg lighter than the standard alloy head/cast iron block straight six in the Falcon

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

You Am I posted:

I don't know how heavy the Mustang V6 is, but Ford reports that the Ecoboost is 60kg lighter than the standard alloy head/cast iron block straight six in the Falcon

With the Genesis Coupe, the difference is right around 100 lbs between the V6 and I4t. Judging from these two cars, I suspect that a 50-60kg in the Mustang is close enough to bank on.

What's that make the Mustang, around 3300lbs, give or take? That's about the weight of an STI, which moves along just fine with 305HP.

kronix posted:

Yeah it's getting 420 horsepower.

The V6 in the F150 makes like 365 so it's right in the middle of the V6 now and the V8. With 365 horsepower you're talking about a car that's a good tune away from the GT. It's just too close.

Don't forget pricing as well. Adding the TTV6 would likely result in the GT moving up in price to around 33-35k starting. That would give the sixxer some breathing room at the GT entry price of 29k. Of course, they could just call the TTV6 an SVO and offer it only with the track pack and Recaros for $35k and not offer the premium pack, much like they do with the BOSS vs. GT500. I'm sure that the sixxer probably appeals more to the younger, core motoring crowd than it does the traditional GT buyer, since people like my father would never own a V6 Mustang if there was the option for a V8.

Edit: I don't remember where I read this, but I do remember some market research saying that a V8 appealed more to the 35+ crowd and a six appealing more to the under 30 crowd.

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 12, 2012

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

oRenj9 posted:

Edit: I don't remember where I read this, but I do remember some market research saying that a V8 appealed more to the 35+ crowd and a six appealing more to the under 30 crowd.

You might have read it here, I heard that from the sales manager at the Ford dealership on I bought my Mustang at on one of my trips to check out how the order was going. I believe it was market research Ford had done before the 2011 Mustang that showed a very sharp cutoff somewhere in the late 20s. The younger generation hears V8 and think's dad's tech, the older generation hears V6 and thinks crap. I think Ford is going to have to try and have it both ways.

I personally think we're going to see the Mustang move upmarket anyway.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I just bit the bullet and bought a fully loaded '12 GT with 4000 miles for $26,500.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Comrade Flynn posted:

I just bit the bullet and bought a fully loaded '12 GT with 4000 miles for $26,500.

This is as well and good, but we still need pics.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

Comrade Flynn posted:

Where, if you don't mind my asking?

Also, has anybody here driven a new GT in the snow with proper snow tires, etc? I'm just curious how good the traction control works, etc. Not because I think I'd rely on it, but more because some TC is so terrible it's worse than having nothing at all (like the GTO).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

mungtor posted:

Also, has anybody here driven a new GT in the snow with proper snow tires, etc? I'm just curious how good the traction control works, etc. Not because I think I'd rely on it, but more because some TC is so terrible it's worse than having nothing at all (like the GTO).

Not the GT, but I've driven the 2011 V6 on snow and ice with proper tires, and it's just fine unless you're a moron with the throttle inputs. It's never taken control away from me when I want it, but it's always there if I have a brain fart. The clearance is obviously an issue depending on what conditions you plan to drive in, but if that's not a problem it's not too difficult to drive in the winter. I didn't even throw any extra weight in the trunk.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

If the snow is so deep a stock ride height Mustang gets stuck, you shouldn't be driving in it anyway.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

PT6A posted:

Not the GT, but I've driven the 2011 V6 on snow and ice with proper tires, and it's just fine unless you're a moron with the throttle inputs. It's never taken control away from me when I want it, but it's always there if I have a brain fart. The clearance is obviously an issue depending on what conditions you plan to drive in, but if that's not a problem it's not too difficult to drive in the winter. I didn't even throw any extra weight in the trunk.

My '11 GT has been on the road exactly once in the snow on the Pirelli all seasons and it was surprisingly well behaved. The only problems it's ever has is getting up my iced over driveway. It's certainly no worse than anything else with RWD and I would say it did a lot better than the 335 I drove in the snow.

I would put winter tires on it if you plan on doing any amount of regular winter driving though.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

mungtor posted:

Haven't driven in snow, but my Pirelli P Zeros (Brembo Pkg) get noticably less grip any time the temp goes below 50'. It's amazing how much of a difference the temp makes on summer tires. Never owned these tires before my 11 GT.

Anyone get really low life on their P Zeros? I went in for my 18,000 mile oil change and had to replace my rear brake pads already. They guy told me my tires were almost shot as well. No more burnouts for me. $ 1,600 for a set of tires is rear end.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

kronix posted:

You might have read it here, I heard that from the sales manager at the Ford dealership on I bought my Mustang at on one of my trips to check out how the order was going. I believe it was market research Ford had done before the 2011 Mustang that showed a very sharp cutoff somewhere in the late 20s. The younger generation hears V8 and think's dad's tech, the older generation hears V6 and thinks crap. I think Ford is going to have to try and have it both ways.

I personally think we're going to see the Mustang move upmarket anyway.

I have an alternate theory where people under 30 have less money than people over 30.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

That's exactly what I was going to say. The cars were/are in the low to mid 30s which is a bit much for most young car buyers. At least the v8 models. That was what was so great about the new v6 for 11. You get 3/4 the performance for pricing in the mid 20s.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Radiohead71 posted:

That's exactly what I was going to say. The cars were/are in the low to mid 30s which is a bit much for most young car buyers. At least the v8 models. That was what was so great about the new v6 for 11. You get 3/4 the performance for pricing in the mid 20s.

The market for new car buyers under age 30 is not big at all; most people buy perhaps one car under the age of 30 because they have comparably miniscule salaries. Speaking in general, I feel fairly confident in saying the V6 models popularity has a lot to do with it being $8,000 less than the GT.

As for whether Ford is going to move the GT or the Mustang in general "upmarket," I really doubt that. Moving a car with mass working class popularity (there are a lot of Mustangs on the road, and the vast majority of them aren't the same people buying BMWs) upmarket in the middle of a recession makes no sense at all. I don't see people paying 33K for a base model GT any time soon. The fact that people pay that much for the Boss has a lot to do with rarity and its racing spec. It certainly isn't because people are willing to pay 40K for Mustangs in general.

Let's also not forget that the Ecoboost V6 option is a $2000 option on the F150, and the Coyote is a $1000 option.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Radiohead71 posted:

Haven't driven in snow, but my Pirelli P Zeros (Brembo Pkg) get noticably less grip any time the temp goes below 50'. It's amazing how much of a difference the temp makes on summer tires. Never owned these tires before my 11 GT.

Anyone get really low life on their P Zeros? I went in for my 18,000 mile oil change and had to replace my rear brake pads already. They guy told me my tires were almost shot as well. No more burnouts for me. $ 1,600 for a set of tires is rear end.

Why would you expect summer tires to last you 18,000 miles?

P-zeros are only slightly better than hankook ventus V12s, no reason to spend $1600

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Well the Ford guy said they should have lasted 40,000 miles. They are treadware 220, whatever that means. I've never owned a car before with summer tires so I didn't know they wear out faster, OK?

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 14, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Radiohead71 posted:

Well the Ford guy said they should have lasted 40,000 miles. They are treadware 220, whatever that means.

That means that they might last 40,000 miles if you drive like a grandma and then some. "The Ford guy" was probably just talking out his rear end.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
That ford guys handing out dangerous advice.

If i knew i was driving a 412hp coupe on summer tires with 40k miles i would be driving it like it was a UPS truck to the nearest tire shop, i imagine the tires would have lost all tread and would expect .1g of lateral grip into the corners (might be an exaggeration, but still). When you have the cash and hankook has mail in rebates then buy hankook ventus V12s all around, the p-zeros are probably already gone if you drive spirited at all.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 14, 2012

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

frozenphil posted:

This is as well and good, but we still need pics.

Sorry, was waiting until the deal officially closed.

GT Premium with the Brembos and 3.73s. Also has the Rousch catback.

Thinking of ordering this: http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetails.php?PartID=724&CategoryID=225&ModelID=35 but listening for other suspension recommendations.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

Comrade Flynn posted:

Sorry, was waiting until the deal officially closed.

GT Premium with the Brembos and 3.73s. Also has the Rousch catback.

Thinking of ordering this: http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetails.php?PartID=724&CategoryID=225&ModelID=35 but listening for other suspension recommendations.

How about investing that into a driving course to maximize your skills instead of messing up the stock suspension geometry?

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

coolskillrex remix posted:

That ford guys handing out dangerous advice.

If i knew i was driving a 412hp coupe on summer tires with 40k miles i would be driving it like it was a UPS truck to the nearest tire shop, i imagine the tires would have lost all tread and would expect .1g of lateral grip into the corners (might be an exaggeration, but still). When you have the cash and hankook has mail in rebates then buy hankook ventus V12s all around, the p-zeros are probably already gone if you drive spirited at all.

Thank you. I checked these out on tirerack and they seem decent. Will consider.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

bowling 4 buttcoins posted:

How about investing that into a driving course to maximize your skills instead of messing up the stock suspension geometry?

I've done that, and the stock suspension geometry leaves something to be desired.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

bowling 4 buttcoins posted:

How about you stop crashing your lovely GTI into things before YOU go messing up your suspension geometry?

Comrade Flynn posted:

I've done that, and the stock suspension geometry leaves something to be desired.

I've been told that the progressive-rate springs are what contribute to the car feeling a lot heavier than it is. Certain people will rage til he's blue in the face about it but I agree with you on needing something to fix the wallowy feel and wheel hop. Lighter wheels might help too.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Das Volk posted:

How about you stop crashing your lovely GTI into things before YOU go messing up your suspension geometry?

Oh, that's lovebread? Literally the last person to be giving driving advice to anyone.

Das Volk posted:

I've been told that the progressive-rate springs are what contribute to the car feeling a lot heavier than it is. Certain people will rage til he's blue in the face about it but I agree with you on needing something to fix the wallowy feel and wheel hop. Lighter wheels might help too.

Yeah, supposedly this combo adds quite a bit to the feeling. I do agree that the car is a bit floaty stock, but I think it's quicker than it feels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archr5
Sep 26, 2003

Trying desperately to be popular since 1982.
I just got my 2012 V6 (base package everything, kona blue.) Still a fun upgrade from my 2007 Focus ST.

Just in time for 2 inches of snow on the side streets in Michigan...
Thank God I learned to drive in the winter in a 2 wheel drive truck.

Also, now I'm kinda glad I didn't get the performance package with the 19" Summer only tires.

The original plan was to get some winter tires and wheels but the temperature fluctuates so oddly in Michigan and I'm way too worried about driving a $600 set of Blizzaks when it's a few degrees too warm out and ruining them.