Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

FitFortDanga posted:

Gelman's persona is wearing thin already. I think he should parcel out his bits in smaller servings, Bob Ducca-style.
He works so much better when he has people to bounce off of on CBB. Like when he started to tell his second or third short story and got interrupted, I didn't get people complaining about that because that whole setup was what made it so funny. The stories in a vacuum aren't nearly as good, and they get old fast if that's all he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
every "buh-buh-buh-BOOOOOONUUUUUUS" scott did cracked me up

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

I'm another supporter of Gelman's complete, uninhibited, ironic neo-punk schtick in Gelmania. I've thought every episode has been pretty loving awesome. Haters gonna hate.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
If you didn't like the first couple episodes of Gelmania, at least give his Toupee serial narrative a try:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKM9GfW0_W4

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Is this 5 episodes of PFT in a row? :aaa:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Maybe he and Scott had a sleepover

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
They clearly recorded this episode weeks ago right after the two-part countdown, and I love how punchy they get by the end of it.

It may not be a fantastic Werner Herzog impression, but I could still listen to PFT mumble for hours :allears:

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Nemo posted:

They clearly recorded this episode weeks ago right after the two-part countdown, and I love how punchy they get by the end of it.

It may not be a fantastic Werner Herzog impression, but I could still listen to PFT mumble for hours :allears:

Herzog is probably my least favorite PFT character outside of Mr. Brainwash, but it feels like the dude is incapable of being not funny. Any time Andy Richter and Paul are on the show together it's bound to be good.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
Tompkins says some very funny things as Herzog but I still can't help but be bugged a little that he just goes with "generic dour German" as the voice. Herzog has a very particular and odd cadence and several recognizable vocal tics that would be really ripe for a good impression.

PFT is usually great at getting little nuances, though. I actually thought his John C. Reilly was the real guy the first time I heard it on his podcast.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
The impression isn't great, but it still adds a bit of deadpan punch to PFT's absurdity. I'm not sure the bits would have been as funny if he did them in his normal voice.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
People always talk about PFT's impressions that don't sound like the person, but I thought the whole point were these characters becoming their own thing. His Cake Boss sounds nothing like the actual Cake Boss.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The_Rob posted:

People always talk about PFT's impressions that don't sound like the person, but I thought the whole point were these characters becoming their own thing. His Cake Boss sounds nothing like the actual Cake Boss.

I remember in one podcast he said (as a character), "I don't do good impressions, my thing is more broad caricature." Or something like that.

No Ticket
Jul 20, 2007

Scott Aukerman @ScottAukerman posted:

Hi everyone. I may have a major announcement coming in a few...

Well, I will have to wait on this until Monday! Listen to Monday's CBB and I will talk about it on the air. Until then, FARE THEE WELL!!!!

edit: looks like their pilot got picked up by IFC http://aspecialthing.com/forum/f42/comedy-bang-bang-gets-picked-up-ifc-23112/

The second program IFC plans to announce is a comedy talk show called "Comedy Bang! Bang!" based on the podcast of the same name by comedian Scott Aukerman. "Comedy Bang! Bang!", which is being produced by Abso Lutely Productions, is described by network insiders as a highly unrealistic version of a variety show—a mixture of Pee-wee Herman and Dick Cavett that will feature celebrity guests, comedy sketches, animation and music. The show's "bandleader" will be comedian Reggie Watts.

No Ticket fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 6, 2012

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

No Ticket posted:

edit: looks like their pilot got picked up by IFC http://aspecialthing.com/forum/f42/comedy-bang-bang-gets-picked-up-ifc-23112/

The second program IFC plans to announce is a comedy talk show called "Comedy Bang! Bang!" based on the podcast of the same name by comedian Scott Aukerman. "Comedy Bang! Bang!", which is being produced by Abso Lutely Productions, is described by network insiders as a highly unrealistic version of a variety show—a mixture of Pee-wee Herman and Dick Cavett that will feature celebrity guests, comedy sketches, animation and music. The show's "bandleader" will be comedian Reggie Watts.

drat, this sounds amazing.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

More Reggie is always a good thing, I hope he's on the next episode to celebrate. :allears:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Do you think the show will work as well in a non-audio format?

And that text pic between Scott and Kulap is adorable. It must be pretty interesting being married to Hot Saucerman :3:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Does anyone know why PFT and Aukerman call John Lennon the grossest guy in the world (or something similar)? Is it purely an inside joke of theirs or did I miss an episode.
e: missed a word

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 7, 2012

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I think I heard Tom Scharpling talk about that too. I think that if you get deep into Beatles biographies, you discover Lennon was sort of a creep.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

How are u posted:

Do you think the show will work as well in a non-audio format?

And that text pic between Scott and Kulap is adorable. It must be pretty interesting being married to Hot Saucerman :3:

It's not gonna be CBB! as we know it, it'll be mostly a pre-produced/sketch show, which will work brilliantly as Scott is an amazing writer and will undoubtedly get fantastic talent to work with him as well. I doubt we'll ever have Adam Scott Bot getting activated by Alan Rickman in this format, but it should be a lot tighter and more LPMs.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
I'm John Lennon, the Biggest Creep in the World!

I love when they do the Beatles stuff. Anyone remember which episode they do the Nowhere Boy trailer?

vvvvv
Haha, thanks, had the wrong name of the movie too.

crimedog fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 8, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Goose Halo posted:

I'm John Lennon, the Biggest Creep in the World!

I love when they do the Beatles stuff. Anyone remember which episode they do the Wonder Boy trailer?

Episode 75: The Farting gently caress Faces with Mike Birbiglia, Henry Phillips, and Matt Besser

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Does anyone know why PFT and Aukerman call John Lennon the grossest guy in the world (or something similar)? Is it purely an inside joke of theirs or did I miss an episode.
e: missed a word

He could be a dickish weirdo. Julian Lennon has a story about going to stay with John and Yoko, and John and Yoko wandered around the house naked. When Julian laughed awkwardly, John Lennon flew into a weird naked rage.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

indigi posted:

I doubt we'll ever have Adam Scott Bot getting activated by Alan Rickman in this format

a worthy uh

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Max22 posted:

a worthy uh

a worthy uh

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Best plugs theme ever this week.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Eltoasto posted:

Best plugs theme ever this week.
We also learned that Bob Odenkirk is spiderman.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008
I am not sure but I think a goon did it? He had an LLJK name.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Finding out about CBB the TV show, Bob & David going on tour, and a new Tenacious D album. Good plugs. Great plugs.

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009
That's why they are the best part of the show.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

@ScottAukerman posted:

Jan 30 RT @jluduluth: @ScottAukerman when is analyze phish episode 4 out?

two weeks to go! :neckbeard:

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
I just relistened to Episode 38 with PFT, Kaitlin Olsen, and SuperEgo gang. Such a good one. I'm gonna go burn up some water and make a meat loafed sandwich.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
Some of the earliest episodes still get me laughing when I think about them, particularly the episodes with Andy Samberg, Zach Galifanakis, and Andy Daly playing the party guy who tried to drown himself with a heavy coat. I loved how nobody really knew what the show was about and were completely baffled by what Scott was trying to do.

Scott: What TV show are you promoting?
Zach: 'Bored To Death'.
Scott: Is that the story of this interview?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
I had no idea every comedian has a bunch of comedy songs before listening to old CDR eps. What's UP with THAT?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Goose Halo posted:

I just relistened to Episode 38 with PFT, Kaitlin Olsen, and SuperEgo gang. Such a good one. I'm gonna go burn up some water and make a meat loafed sandwich.

How about a tuna fished sandwich?

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Is Dropsy here?

If you haven't checked out SuperEgo, it's great too

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
should be Throwsy, really.

All this discussion about this episode (38) resulted in my downloading it on a different computer and making an odd discovery - since when did the backlog episodes have advertisements in the intro?

It's not like they're ridin' my jock, just..kind of depressing Earwolf needs to do it. Think I'll donate a couple of bucks their way :(

Edit: ...and then Kevin...

Urk! fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 15, 2012

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Since last week I think. I don't mind, though I don't believe it'll keep the show free for that long though.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

jyrka posted:

I had no idea every comedian has a bunch of comedy songs before listening to old CDR eps. What's UP with THAT?

Making a decent living as a stand up comic isn't the easiest thing in the world, so if doing comedy songs helps them get more people to shows, or sell more merch than it's worth it. The LA comedy scene also seems to have more cross over with the music scene there, so that may have something to do with it.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Every comedian wants to be a rockstar. Every rockstar wants to be a comedian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
man look at that fukken burrito go