Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Your winsxs folder isn't actually as big as windows explorer says it is. Most of the files in it are just hard links (or even multiple hard links) to files that exist elsewhere on the file system, so even if you deleted them from winsxs, it wouldn't actually free up any disk space.

stealth edit: that command is a legit way to free up real disk space, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If you don't quite have $100 and are looking for an SSD:

Newegg has Intel 320 Series 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive SSD (SSDSA2CW080G3K5) for $149.99 - $20 off code IntelSSD - $50 Rebate = $79.99 with free shipping.

Newegg has OCZ Agility 3 2.5" 90GB SATA III SSD (AGT3-25SAT3-90G) for $104.99 - $20 Rebate = $84.99 with free shipping.

Newegg, via Slickdeals

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Bob Morales posted:

Newegg has OCZ Agility 3 2.5" 90GB SATA III SSD (AGT3-25SAT3-90G) for $104.99 - $20 Rebate = $84.99 with free shipping. [/i]

Newegg, via Slickdeals

I've got this drive albeit in 120GB flavor and the performance is great. However its recently developed quite a bad microstutter that rears its head every now and then.

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007
I just built a system a couple of months ago with a Crucial m4 256GB main drive; I use a 2TB drive for all media and various other data. For some reason running CrystalDiskMark gives me this:

What's the deal? I read the OP and did the various updates and I tried turning off hibernation to increase the free space thinking that could have been the problem, but I think 50GB free is more than sufficient. Really, 3 MB/s? What gives?

I disabled NOD32 and Malaware protection, no change, I haven't done anything particularly exotic on this drive. TRIM is enabled, it's in AHCI mode, all seems to be as it should.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

SovietSpyGuy posted:

I just built a system a couple of months ago with a Crucial m4 256GB main drive; I use a 2TB drive for all media and various other data. For some reason running CrystalDiskMark gives me this:

What's the deal? I read the OP and did the various updates and I tried turning off hibernation to increase the free space thinking that could have been the problem, but I think 50GB free is more than sufficient. Really, 3 MB/s? What gives?

I disabled NOD32 and Malaware protection, no change, I haven't done anything particularly exotic on this drive. TRIM is enabled, it's in AHCI mode, all seems to be as it should.

My bet is on partition alignment being off.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I would imagine the partition is right if it was a new system and thus a clean build.

What port is it hooked up to? Make sure it's hooked up to the Intel ones, because sometimes the janky controllers they add for extra ports have bad performance.

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007
It is hooked up to an Intel port; I ran the same benchmark when I first put the system together and it was in line with benchmarks of this drive in various articles. Not sure what could have happened since.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Tri SLI has stolen all its electricity (that was you, wasn't it?)

Has it had any oddball workloads or anything lately? The GC isn't the best on the M4, so it can take some time to recover if you've done anything too demanding to it.

On the other hand, can't see as you'd probably notice the difference outside of some numbers in benchmarks.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
What's the general consensus of enabling or disabling write-back cache in Intel RST with SSD raid-0 setups?

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007

Dogen posted:

Tri SLI has stolen all its electricity (that was you, wasn't it?)

Has it had any oddball workloads or anything lately? The GC isn't the best on the M4, so it can take some time to recover if you've done anything too demanding to it.

On the other hand, can't see as you'd probably notice the difference outside of some numbers in benchmarks.

Yep, that was me. And it was totally worth it now that I actually have some time to play BF3. :D

Nothing I can think of...I generally just do typical internet things, Solidworks, and occasionally games. I'm not running anything in the background other than anti-virus, and I have a full system backup run daily to an external drive. Is there a way to check the partition alignment? I can't imagine how it would have changed though if it was initially set up correctly.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It won't have changed unless you changed it in some way, so I doubt that's it if you were getting good speeds when you set it up.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Bob Morales posted:

If you don't quite have $100 and are looking for an SSD:

Newegg has Intel 320 Series 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive SSD (SSDSA2CW080G3K5) for $149.99 - $20 off code IntelSSD - $50 Rebate = $79.99 with free shipping.

Newegg has OCZ Agility 3 2.5" 90GB SATA III SSD (AGT3-25SAT3-90G) for $104.99 - $20 Rebate = $84.99 with free shipping.

Newegg, via Slickdeals

They have two Intel 320 series on sale, and I can't figure out the difference between them, besides $3, and a B and a K. Specs seem identical.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167047
Intel 320 Series SSDSA2CW080G3K5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$99.99 after rebates

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167048
Intel 320 Series SSDSA2CW080G3B5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$102.99 after rebates

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pretty sure one is a system-builder kit with the drive bracket and stuff.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

SovietSpyGuy posted:

This looks like you forgot to enable AHCI in BIOS, are you 100% sure its enabled on the controller you plugged it into? Sometimes BIOS has multiple SATA controllers.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
The winslx command didnt work for me- I used a x64 Win7+SP1 integrated install, could that be why? Said something about service pack files not found

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Treytor posted:

What's the general consensus of enabling or disabling write-back cache in Intel RST with SSD raid-0 setups?

If you enable it, you should consistently get SSD level write performance to your cached drive(s), which is pretty good and could easily be a noticeable, significant performance boost. The downside is that now your SSD becomes a necessary part of a drive array; if the SSD dies or whatever, hello file system corruption. Essentially, you're creating a RAID 0, albeit with much higher chances of recovering data if the SSD does fail.

I don't think there's any sort of consensus, it's up to you decide if you are willing to trade a higher risk of data loss, and inconvenience should you want to move a drive to another system, in exchange for significantly better write performance.

dud root posted:

The winslx command didnt work for me- I used a x64 Win7+SP1 integrated install, could that be why? Said something about service pack files not found

Yeah, if SP1 is integrated then the files that command deletes were never there in the first place.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Anandtech got to talk with Sandforce a bit about the upcoming SF-3000 series of controllers. It looks like the big ticket item is ONFI 3.0 support, which doubles per-chip interface bandwidth from 200MB/sec to 400MB/sec. Random read/write performance should nearly double, and Sandforce is also predicting a significant improvement in incompressible write performance. Finally, we may see some native PCI-E SSD controllers in the SF-3000 series.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Alereon posted:

I have nearly 13GB in my winsxs folder, which is the Windows Side-by-Side Assembly Store. This folder holds different versions of libraries, so that each program gets access to the version it wants, preventing "DLL hell." The downside is the folder grows in size as you install Windows Updates and new applications (and doesn't shrink when programs are uninstalled).

Edit: Though I just ran the cleanup command I found here and cut the folder size by more than 5GB.

4 gigs of more freedom! Thank you sir.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Does this look about right for a Samsung 830 256gb on SATA2? When I turned AHCI on one of the scores went down by a but everything else went up. As a side note, with ACHI off sequential read/write were pretty close to where they are now (~220 each). It was 4k-64 and 4k-write that went up significantly with it on, and 4k-read dropped by ~6.

I have the 830 because it was on sale for $300 and I plan on upgrading some time in the next year.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Perfectly fine.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

univbee posted:

The tool stays at that version, that's normal. It's possible you did a clean install with SP1 already there, or already ran the tool somehow.

I'm guessing the tool does the same thing as drive properties -> cleanup unused files -> service pack backup files.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Awhile ago (like, 5 months, but I just haven't had time to play with this until now) I posted my computer wouldn't boot if my SSD was plugged in. I could plug it in after boot and install it, writer to it, whatever, everything would work fine but if I tried to boot even after that the computer wouldn't boot. Well anyway, starting from a tip someone gave me here, I finally got to the solution.

I unplugged all my other drives, installed windows onto the SSD like it was the only drive on the computer. I turned the machine off, plugged the other stuff back in, and now everything is running fine.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Are there significant performance gains to be had by installing Windows on an internal SSD drive while using an internal SATA drive for everything else?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Flayer posted:

Are there significant performance gains to be had by installing Windows on an internal SSD drive while using an internal SATA drive for everything else?

you would also need to install often-used programs on the SSD

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
I know the recommended size is 128GB, but I'm not a gamer. I just checked my OSX applications, system, and library folders and it's ~25GB rounded up total (even on version 10.5), mostly of the OSX applications that I don't use, and including the music and visual art programs I do use. Although, I'm switching to Windows 7 so it'll probably be different. I think the 60GB version ends up being 55GB total.

Corsair GT
60GB - $110
90GB - $150
120GB - $190

Do you guys recommend the 120GB because you install a lot of games? I'm trying to get the best bang for the buck for my needs.

Edit: Forgot about speed differences with the larger drives, but even then …

Edit 2: Forgot to mention that this'll be a desktop with additional HDDs.

crimedog fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 14, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah games is a big part of it, for a laptop if your work doesn't involve a bunch of huge files, you probably have a good sense of what you can get away with.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Goose Halo posted:

Do you guys recommend the 120GB because you install a lot of games? I'm trying to get the best bang for the buck for my needs.

I can get away with a 64GB SSD (C300) in my work laptop, I usually have about 10GB free. I went for a 120GB (Force GT) in my home PC simply so I could have a couple games installed. The difference in speed I noticed for each upgrade was insane.

fletcher fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 14, 2012

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Flashed my ocz vertex from 1.5 to 1.7, now it disappeared from windows and from bios at least once. Left it running a benchmark to see if it'd happen again under load.

If it turns out to be consistent then I'm going to :commissar: and do without, gently caress ocz.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Just heard that Crucial has a new firmware for the M4 that fixes the BSOD bug.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

unpronounceable posted:

Well, I installed it on my 128 and nothing exploded. So far, so good.

edit: just in the nick of time, 3200 hours on the drive! Slightly less than 2000 more and I would have been in trouble.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Goose Halo posted:

I have 40GB on my work machine but for my normal one I had 80 and now 256. In my case I have a Windows VM sucking up however many gigs, along with my user Library being pretty big (having that on a platter drive has some negative performance implications), and I'm sure just a bunch of random crap building up over time. I felt a little cramped with the 80, like I'm pretty sure I deleted my VM to reclaim the space for something else, and I was getting a bit annoyed with moving stuff around so I just went big and got the 256 for my current machine.

I'm using around 100 gigs now and being pretty loose with the usage (it's nice not having to give a crap), so I probably would've been fine with 120. If you're going to watch the usage a lot 60 will work out, but I'd suggest going a bit bigger for wiggle room cause managing the space can get annoying. It's still a bit annoying with other drives, but in that case at least you can move stuff around if necessary.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Trying to update my desktop with the M4 firmware fix but problem is there is no IDE mode in the BIOS. All I see is RAID or AHCI. Kinda lost here.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

HeyEng posted:

Trying to update my desktop with the M4 firmware fix but problem is there is no IDE mode in the BIOS. All I see is RAID or AHCI. Kinda lost here.
Does it not detect the drive in AHCI mode? I don't see anything in the update guide about needing to use IDE mode. What motherboard do you have?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Alereon posted:

Does it not detect the drive in AHCI mode? I don't see anything in the update guide about needing to use IDE mode. What motherboard do you have?

Disregard. I was reading the wrong guide.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
So why does the OP say not to move the pagefile to another hard drive? I have a 64 gb ssd and it's taking up 8gb.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Because most access to the page file is 4KB random reads and writes, which SSDs are about 20-40x faster at than hard drives. That is, the entire reason you buy an SSD is for exactly the types of I/O the page file sees.

Shrink it if you have enough RAM that you use it rarely, but leave it on the SSD.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Factory Factory posted:

Because most access to the page file is 4KB random reads and writes, which SSDs are about 20-40x faster at than hard drives. That is, the entire reason you buy an SSD is for exactly the types of I/O the page file sees.

Shrink it if you have enough RAM that you use it rarely, but leave it on the SSD.

Alright...Well, to be honest I don't really know how much to shrink it by, or if I'm even tapping into it.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Nigulus Rex posted:

Alright...Well, to be honest I don't really know how much to shrink it by, or if I'm even tapping into it.
With 8GB of RAM only 1GB of Page file should be fine.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

unpronounceable posted:

anyone know if this firmware issue affects any non-Windows OSes? Perhaps FreeBSD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007

SovietSpyGuy posted:

So what I said earlier about this...my internal drives are connected to (I think) an "ASMedia" port, which I will guess is a third-party (non-intel) controller of some sort. Could this be causing that much of a performance issue? Again everything was fine when I first installed Windows and various programs and did a speed test. I just don't know what else to try? I will try switching the internal connection to a different port though. I assume this won't cause any trouble in Windows.

• Locked thread