Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Cat chat has reached new levels this week. The best cat chat yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

MassRayPer posted:

Cat chat has reached new levels this week. The best cat chat yet.
He hasn't taught them to walk or run the ropes yet. <:mad:>

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Yeah, I still have recurring from 6 years ago, so instead of the $12 or whatever a month, I only pay like, $7 a month. :smug:

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

This is my fear with subscribing. I already get four and sometimes five shows a week for free with Live Audio Wrestling, and even with my commute and walking the dog every day, that makes me think 'drat I haven't listened to music in a while'.
This happens to me at times I go through heavy podcast stages where I don't listen to music but later I revert and go the opposite way.

It all balances out in the end.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

I usually re-up for a year around this time, so even when I go through spells of not listening for a few weeks, I still usually feel like I've gotten my money's worth in December.

Besides, there's something so infectious about things like Bryan and Vinny's glee about heel Daniel Bryan.

"He tattled!"

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

"He tattled!"

My favorite thing about that was how Mark Henry immediately shoved him. He didn't pause for dramatic effect like most times this type of thing happens, he reacted exactly like a pissed off animal would, or a monster heel. Bryan was right, everyone played their role to perfection.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Gaz-L posted:

Clay's probably best off following Mark Henry's example and just go with it as far as he can. Half-assing it or bitching is just going to backfire, so he may as well be the best Funkasaurus he can be. Who knows, maybe he's the next Rikishi?

a thought:

Brodus used to be Snoop Dogg's bodyguard. If they keep Funkasaurus going until Wrestlemania, this could be a good way to have Snoop do a song on the show or something.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Lamuella posted:

a thought:

Brodus used to be Snoop Dogg's bodyguard. If they keep Funkasaurus going until Wrestlemania, this could be a good way to have Snoop do a song on the show or something.

You have good thoughts!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Because Snoop is someone who needs any kind of motivation to get in front of an audience greater than three people these days.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hulk Hogan wanted to get his win back over Brock Lesnar.

Hulk Hogan wanted to get his win back over Brock. Lesnar.

:psyduck:

That was a really good WO episode. That Shawn/Hogan thing is so fascinating. And then all about Hogan walking out on the company. Also a classic Dave-ism "I've talked to somebody in the match that isn't Shawn Michaels..."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Clearly Dave talks to the refs, brother. :colbert:

ACS
Apr 30, 2009
Nah, it was a Dave shoot......brother.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

LordPants posted:

That was a really good WO episode. That Shawn/Hogan thing is so fascinating. And then all about Hogan walking out on the company. Also a classic Dave-ism "I've talked to somebody in the match that isn't Shawn Michaels..."

what episode is this

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

CortezFantastic posted:

what episode is this
Thursday (Jan. 12) Observer Radio

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

LordPants posted:

The stories of Hulk Hogan's ego always baffle me. Can't believe anyone in the world could be that full of themselves. "Okay, we'll have a two match series, and I'll win them both."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LordPants posted:

Haha. I just pictured Dave asking about this match when he talked to Hogan at the TUF 10 finale in 2009.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cardboard Box posted:

The stories of Hulk Hogan's ego always baffle me. Can't believe anyone in the world could be that full of themselves. "Okay, we'll have a two match series, and I'll win them both."

Hulk Hogan literally doesn't grasp that there are other people on the roster who could deserve spotlight as well. Like, I don't know if it's sociopath or whatever but he just always comes off as someone who really can't understand that he's not the only superstar.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Glitterbomber posted:

Hulk Hogan literally doesn't grasp that there are other people on the roster who could deserve spotlight as well. Like, I don't know if it's sociopath or whatever but he just always comes off as someone who really can't understand that he's not the only superstar.

When you are a full time wrestler in a promotion I hate this attitude, and it wasn't the best thing for WWE when he did it to Shawn, but it was the best thing for Hogan. He had the leverage so I don't blame him for doing it that way.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MassRayPer posted:

When you are a full time wrestler in a promotion I hate this attitude, and it wasn't the best thing for WWE when he did it to Shawn, but it was the best thing for Hogan. He had the leverage so I don't blame him for doing it that way.

Yea in a business like this where you have to crawl and scrape for the main event I can't really hate on him too much for grabbing it and not letting go, just saying I really get a vibe he just still thinks he's some wrestling deity and it's real sad now.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I think Hogan's issue is this: From what I gather, it's very common in the industry for vets to give rookies the advice "watch your back and take care of yourself". When you combine almost unfathomable stardom and a healthy ego with this, you end up creating monsters like Hogan and Warrior, and because both of those guys are people who are limited (which is being kind in Warrior's case) in the ring, they end up becoming very protective of their spots, which is made worse by the fact that they don't have many other things they can do to support their lifestyle.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think Hogan's issue is this: From what I gather, it's very common in the industry for vets to give rookies the advice "watch your back and take care of yourself". When you combine almost unfathomable stardom and a healthy ego with this, you end up creating monsters like Hogan and Warrior, and because both of those guys are people who are limited (which is being kind in Warrior's case) in the ring, they end up becoming very protective of their spots, which is made worse by the fact that they don't have many other things they can do to support their lifestyle.

See, I wonder about that with Hogan. Hogan is a mainstream icon. He can walk onto just about any television show and people will know who he is. That's star power and you can't make that poo poo out of nothing. Hogan should be able to work anywhere and make some cash. With enough projects and endorsements he should be able to keep his lifestyle up.

Instead, he makes too many bad decisions.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
But ego is at play to. Hogan no doubt has heard the snickers about every non-wrestling project he's ever done, and of course he missed out on the Foreman Grill, which was offered to him first. I think for Hulk doing sensible non-wrestling projects means admitting he's no longer needed in the business, and his ego just won't let him. Now because his wife left, he's forced to do whatever he can to make a buck. A decade ago, Hogan would have told a company like TNA to go gently caress themselves.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lone Rogue posted:

See, I wonder about that with Hogan. Hogan is a mainstream icon. He can walk onto just about any television show and people will know who he is. That's star power and you can't make that poo poo out of nothing. Hogan should be able to work anywhere and make some cash. With enough projects and endorsements he should be able to keep his lifestyle up.

Instead, he makes too many bad decisions.

There isn't much market demand for someone's who has two useful skills.

Saying "I'm Hulk Hogan" and then posing isn't going to make you millions in your 50s outside of wrestling.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Glitterbomber posted:

Yea in a business like this where you have to crawl and scrape for the main event I can't really hate on him too much for grabbing it and not letting go, just saying I really get a vibe he just still thinks he's some wrestling deity and it's real sad now.

Well he was getting the reactions in 2002 to make him think that even though numbers were down across the board except for Backlash when he won the belt.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So weird wasn't it? He was getting ginormous pops (Like that match with Rock against Storm and Christian where according to Bryan Alvarez they were "So over it wasn't funny.") but when he was in that match with Brock, nobody cared.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LordPants posted:

So weird wasn't it? He was getting ginormous pops (Like that match with Rock against Storm and Christian where according to Bryan Alvarez they were "So over it wasn't funny.") but when he was in that match with Brock, nobody cared.

The same thing happened in WCW. He would get huge reactions in the arena in 99 and 2000 but meant nothing for ratings or buyrates. That's why ratings tanked right after Hogan won the belt.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

MassRayPer posted:

The same thing happened in WCW. He would get huge reactions in the arena in 99 and 2000 but meant nothing for ratings or buyrates. That's why ratings tanked right after Hogan won the belt.

He got a huge pop for returning to red and yellow hogan in Boise in 2000 on an episode of Nitro that he probably would never have gotten in a larger city.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MassRayPer posted:

The Zack Ryder Effect

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Moose Bigelow posted:

He got a huge pop for returning to red and yellow hogan in Boise in 2000 on an episode of Nitro that he probably would never have gotten in a larger city.

He was getting huge pops at NYC house shows so yes, he would.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

MassRayPer posted:

He was getting huge pops at NYC house shows so yes, he would.

I'll take your word for it but I remember reading back then that he did it that week because the next week was a NY area show and they wanted to pop ticket sales and it didn't work out as planned.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Moose Bigelow posted:

I'll take your word for it but I remember reading back then that he did it that week because the next week was a NY area show and they wanted to pop ticket sales and it didn't work out as planned.

Yes, that is the point. He could get huge reactions from live crowds but couldn't move business. The nostalgia filled and papered NY fans popped huge form their childhood hero but wouldn't pay. WCW execs ate it up though. Meltzer was actually at that show and had an interesting report on WOL.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
I'm really late to the party on this but the Art of Wrestling Briscoe episode is amazing.

Every time I hear an interview with them I'm amazed at how down to earth they are.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
How did I never realise that all the ITapBoys plugs on F4W are because it's Bryan's wife's site? :confused:

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Its a shame the only audio review of Smackdown is Bryan and Vinny on Tuesdays. Shame considering how good the main event has been.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Its a shame the only audio review of Smackdown is Bryan and Vinny on Tuesdays. Shame considering how good the main event has been.
Funny you should mention that. I did a thing with Forums Superstar Tendrilsfortwenty.

http://www.sixdrinksin.com/2012/01/15/six-drinks-in-does-wrestling-for-01-13-12/

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Gaz-L posted:

How did I never realise that all the ITapBoys plugs on F4W are because it's Bryan's wife's site? :confused:

Personally I'm impressed at how the TEAM VIGGITY DIET turned an accomplished brazilian jiu jitsu grappler and very attractive woman into a skeleton.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
AOW is the net equivalent of appointment TV for me now. Always interesting, even when I'm not terribly familiar with his subject.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Personally I'm impressed at how the TEAM VIGGITY DIET turned an accomplished brazilian jiu jitsu grappler and very attractive woman into a skeleton.

Those aren't bones those are muscles. Sometimes women have them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Karmine posted:

Those aren't bones those are muscles. Sometimes women have them.

Don't be gross, those are clearly her abdominal bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Erm, have you seen her arms? She's in no way a skeleton man

• Locked thread